• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
As you may or may not know, I have an ongoing existential battle with this raving moron, who happens to be a US-based right-wing Vietnamese radio host:

www.resetera.com

Viet-ERA: Help! Who is Nguy Vu and why is my dad listening to him?!

Viet-ERA, I need some help in understanding wtf my dad (and mom by proxy) is listening to daily. Is this guy Vietnamese Alex Jones or what? My own Vietnamese is not good enough to even understand what's being talked about, but just from the candance of this guy's speech and longwindedness, plus...

www.resetera.com

BuzzFeed News: Young Vietnamese Americans Say Their Parents Are Falling Prey To Conspiracy Videos

You may or may not have seen that I have an undying vendetta against The KING RADIO trash host, Nguy Vu, which I liken to Vietnamese Alex Jones. I am happy to read that thanks in part to this BuzzFeed digging, his horrible YouTube channel is on 2 strikes and only needs one more to be...

(some more background info on the dude:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kv8ma/vietnamese-rush-limbaugh-youtube -- Rush Limbaugh? Who is he kidding! )

Anyway, he made it onto Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. My sister excitedly told me about the mention as she was watching with her husband last Monday.

It apparently gained him enough attention and notereity for YouTube to finally give him the 3rd Strike he was begging for, so hopefully he is permabanned from there and exorcised from my father's (and soon to be MY) home.

I watched it all come down, as my father AS PER USUAL, had his channel streaming on the tv in the background (this is what happens when you teach your elderly parents to use technology..), and I happened to be sitting there feeding my baby formula. Father was busy putting up an Ikea mirror in the bathroom, and I realized the lunatic on the screen was ranting and whining about John Oliver calling him out. His female co-host looking absolutely crestfallen and silent the whole time.

And then it happened. The stream disconnected.

And then windows asked for a restart for an update. So I did. And when my browser restarted, I found that Nguy Vu's channel was removed for violating ToS. I laffed.

When you hear Oliver or ANYONE mention "Vietnamese Alex Jones" or about his dumbass face cream, know that it was me who coined that term and provided this ammo. uwu

EDIT: Oct 25, 2021 12:30am

Like a roach he keeps coming back and ban evading or scrubbing his account to look presentable. I only wish him the worst.

Last edited:

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Goat away, you've earned it!
d0028a8af96dac9f855f9b3fd3d2a4b8.gif

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear, these videos were in Vietnamese? If so, that gives me a tiny bit of hope that some of the Korean right-wing garbage my mom watches will be shut down too. I wondered whether YouTube would tackle misinformation in other languages so this is good news.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I relate to your mention of your family and home. Trying to curb my father's consumption of internet garbage has been exhausting and soul crushing. I'm glad this channel won't be in your home any more and I hope it isn't replaced with some other garbage streamer. Good work.

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear, these videos were in Vietnamese? If so, that gives me a tiny bit of hope that some of the Korean right-wing garbage my mom watches will be shut down too. I wondered whether YouTube would tackle misinformation in other languages so this is good news.
Yep. Completely Vietnamese, which is how he dodged so many strikes and even reports from concerned Viet people themselves.

YouTube relies on bad English-language press to take any action against these shysters because they don't seem to have any foreign-language staff or enough of them to handle disinformation.

I relate to your mention of your family and home. Trying to curb my father's consumption of internet garbage has been exhausting and soul crushing. I'm glad this channel won't be in your home any more and I hope it isn't replaced with some other garbage streamer. Good work.
He definitely has other garbage he is watching of course, but this guy was the worst offender.

Dad is also now all into ghost hunter type conspiracy stuff.. .......

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good job. I never heard of him. My parents would gobbled that shit up if they discovered his channel, but lucky my dad is tech illiterate and my mom gets her ring wing propaganda from Facebook. I call her out on it all the time though.

I'm curious, can't he start another channel on Youtube again and just re-upload all his old videos?

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
He definitely has other garbage he is watching of course, but this guy was the worst offender.

Dad is also now all into ghost hunter type conspiracy stuff.. .......
At least the worst of it is gone. I'm happy with any win these days. My own's worst influence are... sigh... his friends...

Hang in there and thanks. :D

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
good work OP! just heard about this guy on john oliver earlier this week

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
great news! just found out about this guy due to the John Oliver episode but he seems like a real grifter. Hope you can bring your parents back from the brink :)

Oct 25, 2017
Nice work! The amount of right wing sites catering to older Asian folk really flies under the radar. Dealing with this crap with my Asian parents as well...

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Nicely done. Hope John Oliver rubs it in next episode too.
YESSSssSss
i live for the rightwing tears and schadenfreude

I am only sorry I didn't get to screen cap/record the final bunker moments (i think Vu was whining about not caring if he loses 200 or 300 viewers or gaining that many enemies, but wasn't exactly paying attention) lol

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Good job OP, also congrats on the baby, I remember reading your earlier posts about pregnancy; those little folks change your life, huh?

I have a good Vietnamese friend with parents who watch this shit, seems like it's rotted their brains re: COVID, etc.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I knew he sounded familiar when I heard Oliver talk about him. Congrats OP.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Congrats on getting the poison purged.
I watched it all come down, as my father AS PER USUAL, had his channel streaming on the tv in the background (this is what happens when you teach your elderly parents to use technology..)
Why have nice music playing in the background when you can listen to the ravings of a paranoid lunatic instead?

I'll never understand.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
This guy is from the Northern Virginia area where I live, so I'm glad he's been taken down.

My parents in Houston though listen to some other major right wing Viet dude I think and I have no idea whether his rhetoric violates the TOS or not, let alone having enough followers to get banned.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think John Oliver had something to do with it!!

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I know a guy who is a frequent guest on his show(he was the guest that quickly appeared on the John Oliver clip). These people are dumbasses. Should sent him back to VN and see how he feel about masks there.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Nice work OP. Bringing extra attention for a real problem most of the English speaking world was ignoring.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Looking forward to seeing the segment on Youtube from John. Great to hear.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, congrats! Hadn't seen the new Last Week Tonight yet.

My wife's parents and all of her extended family aside from some of her generation are all Vietnamese immigrants and it's surprising how many of them have fallen for the right wing trap (no doubt helped by people like this). My in-laws voted Democrat but the majority of the extended family were Trump voters.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Great news! Saw the segment on John Oliver this weekend and it's fantastic to hear they've taken action. Hopefully it helps with preventing some of his poison being spread.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many more such despicable shitbags are on YouTube spewing horseshit in different languages? It sucks that it's taken this long and a push from John Oliver to take this clown off.

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Good job OP, also congrats on the baby, I remember reading your earlier posts about pregnancy; those little folks change your life, huh?

I have a good Vietnamese friend with parents who watch this shit, seems like it's rotted their brains re: COVID, etc.
Thank you!
I did this partially for the sake of my daughter.

My parents will be helping care for her and teaching her Vietnamese in some capacity and I still love them of course, but it will be wild trying to shield her from all the bigotry they have marinated in and also just straight up telling her that her grandparents are sometimes huge idiots.

I wonder how many more such despicable shitbags are on YouTube spewing horseshit in different languages? It sucks that it's taken this long and a push from John Oliver to take this clown off.
Soooo many. And many more on Facebook (which my parents use ugh) and WeChat and other im services (which my parents luckily don't use).

It's like playing whackamole, but hopefully this really gets the ball rolling with clamping down even harder on these charlattans.

Last edited:

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Thank FUCK op. I was wondering why my dad went pro-trump the last couple of years when my dad actually voted for Hilary. Then I heard him listening to this shit ass radio host spewing bullshit and my dad telling me trump's gonna remove the vietcong out of vietnam. Jeesus. Tried to reason with him but he would still watch this dude on youtube. At least my dad listened to me and my mom about getting vaxxed. My dad is super nice, pretty easy going and reasonable guy, so it was disappointing dumbasses like that radio host got to him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: This moron is back on the youtubes and whining about being called "Vietnamese Alex John" by John Oliver, saying Oliver is picking on innocent YouTubers, and also trying to direct his loyal followers to block "FactChecker" on Facebook.

My brother in law tried to steathily report the video/stream while my dad was away from the tv for 2 minutes.

But yeah.

My battle rages on and I hope Oliver gets to retort some more.