• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get confused, so far there is only one confirmed case. The 500 people exposed is estimated and exposure does not separate those vaccinated from those unvaccinated. This quote from the OP will shed some light for you:

So of the 500 people unvaccinated, they're monitoring about 40. Which means the 460 others are likely vaccinated or otherwise immune. This isn't an outbreak (yet).

EDIT:
For others, 500 people did not catch measles. 500 people were EXPOSED to it, they're monitoring 40 of those. This is not a measles outbreak.
Hmm Pl. Thank you for the clarification! Still a little confused but that helped.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
mC03Saj.gif

giphy.gif

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are vaccinations just as expensive as anything else with US health"care"?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
u0C1pdJ.jpg

This is what we're up against. Weaponized stupidity.

This is a truly dumb picture and statement for so many ways but the one that stands out to me the most is how this makes zero sense in the context of history. We've been giving vaccinations out for a long time to millions and millions and millions of people. If what this stupid picture claimed was actually anywhere close to true then none of the diseases like Smallpox would have actually disappeared but spread so rampantly and virulently that we would have an outbreak on a scale to match the Black Plague or worse. So FUCKING stupid.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... I wonder why this happened in Oregon of all places:

state_vaccine_rates.0.png

Oh, that's why.

Oregon needs to get their shit together and outlaw non-medical exemptions already. The fact that such a "progressive" state could be so regressive on this issue is sad.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every country needs to follow in Singapores steps. No entry allowed if you arent vaccinated.

No Vaccine = No vacation

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's probably ground zero for anti-science weirdos too

I've heard reports that it's a mix of anti-science weirdos (Holistic Charter Schools... yes, they're a thing lmao) and immigrant communities whose religion bars them from vaccination.

You know who has the highest vaccinations rates? Mississippi and West Virginia of all places (California too) because they passed no exemption laws. However this just means that immigrants who refuse vaccination will congregate in states and areas that are more lax, increasing the chances of further outbreaks.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard reports that it's a mix of anti-science weirdos (Holistic Charter Schools... yes, they're a thing lmao) and immigrant communities whose religion bars them from vaccination.

You know who has the highest vaccinations rates? Mississippi and West Virginia of all places (California too) because they passed no exemption laws. However this just means that immigrants who refuse vaccination will congregate in states and areas that are more lax, increasing the chances of further outbreaks.
Yeah, that's why all states should have them

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I hope the kid was immediately removed or quarantined from the child care facility as soon as the first symptoms showed.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

If you have insurance or are low income it's usually completely covered. Otherwise no you would have to pay.

Cheers for the replies. I get that the anti-vax movement is a thing, but I wondered what percentage of non-vaccination has to do with the monetized healthcare system over there. I imagine it'll be non-zero, but a fairly small number, then.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers for the replies. I get that the anti-vax movement is a thing, but I wondered what percentage of non-vaccination has to do with the monetized healthcare system over there. I imagine it'll be non-zero, but a fairly small number, then.

People do it because they want to feel like they're special and act like everyone else is stupid but them. That and some incredibly ignorant and misguided parental instincts.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking anti-vaccers are some of the dumbest people I've ever met.

They are a plague.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Vaccination rounds for children are extremely low cost even with no insurance or subsidization. There is no excuse.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
How do you get Measles anyway? How did 500 people catch it?

Those are just estimated for possible exposure. Measles is a virus, so it's spread person-to-person.
They track exposure because the measles is a ridiculously contagious disease. CDC has it listed at something like ~90% infection rate for non-immune people that come in contact/proximity.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
To every motherfucking anti vaxxer, fuck you and they should as they do in australia give people fines..this is dangerous on all fronts.

Vaccinate your damn kids!

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If one of your children dies due a vaccination you refused to get for them, you should be dragged out into the street and publicly beaten. Honestly, where do you get off, thinking you're better than fucking medical researchers?

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Generally, anti-vaxxers are wealthier then the average American

150204132309-02-vaccinations-graphics-exlarge-169.jpg

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Really not surprised to see this happened in Portland, there are tons of "alternate"-health nuts in this city.

Fucking shameful.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The disease is not eradicated. A vaccine just prepares your immune system to fend off the disease when caught. Unvaccinated kids not so much.
Yeah, diseases don't just vanish. They can come back at any time. Hell, if we ever discover Alien life they might die on our planet due to some random weak diseases we don't care about.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Hmm... I wonder why this happened in Oregon of all places:

Oh, that's why.

Oregon needs to get their shit together and outlaw non-medical exemptions already. The fact that such a "progressive" state could be so regressive on this issue is sad.

Sometimes that's the way it works to move forward. Progress is a pendulum where you make "all" things permissible, and only when you go too far do you regress a bit and start to put in walls.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If one of your children dies due a vaccination you refused to get for them, you should be dragged out into the street and publicly beaten. Honestly, where do you get off, thinking you're better than fucking medical researchers?

How about we meet in the middle and give them a fine

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who don't get their kids vaccinated wind up turning their kids into petri dishes for superbugs to develop.

Anti vaccers are a public safety threat

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about we meet in the middle and give them a fine

how about we put the kids in protective custody and separate them from their life-endangering parents

putting un-vaccinated kids in public school is literally a public health danger to all the other kids in that school

Oct 27, 2017
Vaccination should be mandated by law. Failure to vaccinate should be penalized. Heavily. We can't permit stupidity to harm everyone.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused about how this works. Did all 500 of those people not get vaccinated? Like how does people not vaccinating their kiddos or themselves affect those of us who do?
It doesn't effect vaccinated persons.
Antivaxxers need to be severely punished. Losing their income tax returns in full, losing eligibility for any and all social services, losing their driver's license, having CPS take their kids, even going to prison.
Much like taxes, I look at it a cover charge to be apart of this society. They should be stripped of their citizenship and deported if they refuse to vaccinate. Leave the kids and vaccinate them.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We shouldn't be beating people publically for anything that's barbaric you sound like a psychopath
Quite frankly, I think not vaccinating your kids is barbaric, but what do I know?
how about we put the kids in protective custody and separate them from their life-endangering parents

putting un-vaccinated kids in public school is literally a public health danger to all the other kids in that school
Agreed.