• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
What is a mechanical keyboard?
Mechanical keyboards are high quality keyboards that use physical switches for key actuation. For many the greatest improvement that comes with using a mechanical keyboard is the feeling. Typical rubber membrane keyboards require you to push the keys to the bottom to actuate and the required force can be tiring over long periods of typing. Mechanical switches such as Cherry MX have the benefit of actuating partway through the keystroke. Mechanical switches come in many varieties, differing in the amount of force required to actuate as well as the auditory and tactile feedback. Mechanical switches are commonly differentiated by the colour of the slider.

It should be noted that mechanical keyboards are not for everyone and there is no single best switch. They can also be quite expensive. There are only personal preferences. Any keyswitch can work just fine for both typing and gaming. If you haven't used a mechanical keyboard before, it is highly recommended that you visit a local electronics retailer to try out some mechanical keyboards on display.

Switches
The force required to actuate a mechanical switch is given in centinewtons (cN). One centinewton is roughly equal to one gram, which is why actuation weights are sometimes referred to in grams.

Mechanical switches come in many varieties from different companies. The best known mechanical switches are the Cherry MX line of keyswitches, which were introduced in 1983. Cherry MX and similar clones (also sometimes referred to as MX-compatible) are the most common type of mechanical switch. Cherry MX clones generally follow the same colour scheme. Some of the most common Cherry MX clones are Gateron, Kailh and Greetech switches.

Cherry MX

Cherry MX Black (linear; 60 cN actuation force)
HEyPK.gif

Cherry MX Black is a relatively heavy linear keyswitch. High actuation force combined with the lack of tactile feedback can make typing with MX Black switches feel uncomfortable and tiring. Most commonly found in Cherry's G80 line of keyboards and some gaming keyboards.

Cherry MX Blue (tactile; clicky; 50 cN actuation force)
74RJ9.gif

Commonly characterized as the switch for typing, Cherry MX Blue has both a tactile bump and audible click. The MX Blue has a white inner slider which creates the click sound as it hits the bottom of the switch housing.

Cherry MX Brown (tactile; 45 cN actuation force)
qYYkzFb.gif

Cherry MX Brown is possibly the most common mechanical switch found in keyboards. MX Brown is a light tactile switch without the audible feedback. Due to the low actuation force, the tactile point is much less pronounced than other tactile Cherry MX switches.

Cherry MX Clear (tactile; 55 cN actuation force)
8T44rqQ.gif

Cherry MX Clear is similar to MX Brown in that it is a tactile switch without audible feedback. MX Clear actuates at 55 cN, with the tactile feedback peaking at force of 65 cN. Following the tactile bump, the force required to push the key raises sharply, to a peak of 95 cN at the bottom of the keystroke. In essence, it is a heavier, more tactile version of MX Brown. Like the MX Black, the large amount of force required by the switch can be tiring.

Cherry MX Red (linear; 45 cN actuation force)
mhVm3.gif

Commonly marketed as a gaming switch, Cherry MX Red is a lighter version of the MX Black. The light linear feel is preferred by many gamers, as it makes double tapping of keys easier compared to other Cherry MX switches. The light actuation weight combined with lack of tactile feedback can make typing feel uncomfortable.

There are many more varieties of Cherry MX switches. For more information, see the article on Deskthority Wiki.

Alps
du9d2e0.jpg

Like Cherry MX, Alps switches also come in tactile, linear, and clicky varieties. Originally manufactured by Alps Electric and Forward Electronics, Alps switches are relatively uncommon line of keyswitches. While they can be found in many vintage keyboards, they are still manufactured by Matias Corporation and available in many mechanical keyboards from Matias and KBParadise.

For more information on Alps switches, see the Alps SKCL/SKCM series and Alps clone articles on Deskthority Wiki.

Logitech Romer-G
cTZjnQ7.jpg

Manufactured by Omron for Logitech, Romer-G switches are a light tactile switch with 45 g actuation force. Romer-G switches are most similar to Cherry MX Brown in feel. Romer-G switches have a unique light pipe that allows for improved backlighting with less light leakage.

For more information on Logitech Romer-G switches, see the article on Deskthority Wiki.

Topre
y01Kz4i.png

Manufactured by Topre Corporation, Topre switches are electorstatic capacitive non-contact switches. The switches consist of a slider over a rubber dome over a spring. When a switch is pressed, a capacitative sensing mechanism detects the keypress mid-actuation. Topre switches are rare and expensive. They come in various weights and can be found in keyboards by Topre, PFU Limited, and Leopold.

Topre switches are controversial in the mechanical keyboard community, as they are considered by some to feel alike or similar to conventional rubber dome keyboards.

For more information on Topre switches, see the article on Deskthority Wiki.

Layouts
There are many keyboard layouts in use today, but this part will cover the two most common layouts.

ANSI
LIisi4H.png

ANSI layout is based on the American National Standards Institute's ANSI/HFES 100 standard. Variants of it are used in North America and Asia.

ISO
fqhcbeG.png

ISO layout is based on the International Organization for Standardization's ISO 9241 standard. Variants of it are used in Europe.

Form Factors
Beyond the conventional full size keyboard with numeric keypad, there are many other form factors available. Many form factors are commonly referred to by percentages. Smaller form factors are considered by some to be more ergonomic as they allow for the mouse to be kept within easier reach. Listed here are some of the more common alternative form factors.

Tenkeyless
5I6c5aq.png

Tenkeyless, sometimes referred to as TKL, is a keyboard that has no numeric keypad. The name comes from another name for the numeric keypad, tenkey. Hence tenkeyless.

75%
z68mcl6.png

The 75% design reduces the navigation cluster to one column on the right of backspace and enter while retaining the function keys. This layout is common on laptop keyboards.

60%
28mb1QL.png

The 60% design omits the numeric keypad, navigation cluster and the function key row. The escape key is moved to the number row. Access to function and navigation keys is usually implemented with one or more function keys.

Resources

Deskthority Wiki - The largest English language wiki on mechanical keyboards. Excellent resource for information on different types of mechanical keyswitches.

Deskthority Forum - Europe-based mechanical keyboard forum, home to some of the biggest keyboard collectors in the community.

Geekhack Forum - US-based mechanical keyboard forum. Largest and most active traditional forum on mechanical keyboards.

Mechanical Keyboards Subreddit - The most active mechanical keyboard community, content consists mostly of picture posts of users keyboards.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Have one myself. It's the Falco Ninja I think. It's built like a tank and am very very happy with it. I urge folks to try one.

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
I have an off-the-shelf mechanical keyboard and love it. I used to browse the old thread and the subreddit and I'm constantly tempted to buy and customize a new board.

Oct 27, 2017
Corsair K70 here with Cherry MX Blue keys. I love it, will never go back to any other type of keyboard again.

Only thing is it's loud enough, but that doesn't bother me. If you're on the phone for example people on the line can hear you type.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

I've had my Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 TKL with Cherry MX Blacks for several years now. I haven't really had a reason to get anything else, but I might consider getting a second keyboard primarily for writing code at some point.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
been rockin' the das keyboard pro 4 w/ blues for the past few years. I love it

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my blues, but it's way too annoying for my girlfriend, and reaction times aren't the best for gaming... :(

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
im probably going to get another mechanical keyboard without the number pad. that or give me a different size mousepad.

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing about these, but they're so damn ugly and loud. I've acclimatised to Macbook keys now. Are they worthwhile for typing/coding?

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
My keyboard is a Corsair K65 with Cherry MX Reds. It's not going to get any love from enthusiasts, but I actually like the look. Especially for the price!
I was pretty bummed to discover that it has non-standard layout, so it's real hard to change caps. I didn't know much about mechs when I bought it.

I recently bought a switch tester and found that I really like Brown switches. I even prefer the feel of Gateron over Cherry MX, which surprised me.

Someday I might buy a Tada68, which seems to strike a balance between simplicity and functionality.
I'm not sure what keycaps I would get though since the possibilities are endless. In general, I prefer a more clean and subtle look. I really hate RGB lighting and most artisan caps.

I love the look of DSA keycaps. Something like these would be ideal:

MSGCr0U.jpg

4iCxlq6.jpg

SKRUZO

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Those are some beautiful looking board prospects Weetrick!
I was in a similar boat with the Corsair board, I had no idea it was a non-standard layout so I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't be able to change they keycaps very easily. Since getting my POK3R, I've retired my Corsair to just gaming and it sits underneath my desk surface on a keyboard tray.

Oct 27, 2017
Corsair K70 with Chery MX Brown here. Love it, and can't imagine going back for gaming purposes. I love it for typing as well, but unfortunately at work I have an older non-mechanical keyboard so I'm adept at using both.

HyperionX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using a Corsair k70 RGB RapidFire (Cherry MX Silver). It's like the MX Red but with a shorter actuation distance. Personally, I find it to be halfway between MX Black and MX Brown rather than MX Red. I think the shorter actuation distance makes it feel slightly clicky, and it is definitely feels stiffer although its suppose to be same as the MX Red.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have one of these when they came standard with IBMs back in the day. Windows 3.1 or lower lol it was probably DOS now that I think about it. Any cheap options available? Nothing fancy just want a nice click.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've owned more mechanical keyboards than i care to remember. For the longest time the Corsair K70 was my favorite but I think part of that was because I convinced myself it had to be based off what I paid for it. Recently, on a whim, I bought a budget one off amazon for my kid to use and holy crap, its the best one I've ever used. Typing on it is such a joy. Feels stupid to actually feel giddy using a keyboard, but I do/am.

Best part = $27.99
Worst part = no 10 key

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N57WL39/?tag=era0f0-20

I've bought a few cheaper ones from amazon since and none have quite the same feeling this one does but I've come to the conclusion that i'll never buy an expensive one again since the < $50 ones are just as good if not better. On the same note, the best mouse I've ever owned is this one..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GT6QCL/?tag=era0f0-20
$16

DarkwaterV2

Oct 26, 2017
Had a Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L with white LEDs and Brown Switches. Too bad the stabilizers rattled like crazy. Returned it. I did like the browns and though they took a lot of getting used to coming from rubber domes, I can see myself loving a keyboard like that. Maybe my next one will be a Das Keyboard or some such. I like a no-frills design.

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I'm using a Ducky legend right now with Mx reds and I love it. It's nice and hefty with a real premium feel. Expensive for what it is though since, for example, it has no RGB.

Quick question! How do you people clean your keyboard? Any good way to get the gunk out without removing all the caps?

Last edited:

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
I am using the Logitech g610 and love it to bits.

I give mine a weekly clean with a little brush every couple of days.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I'm using a Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate that I've had for several years now. It's my first mechanical keyboard and I love it so much. I've been looking around at some others while I put off a new PC build, but every time I clean out this one, I'm immediately reminded how much I just really enjoy using it.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here who supported Das Keyboard and their 5Q keyboard? Project launched last summer with expected deliveries going out by the end of 2016. Basically November 2017 and has yet to ship.

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have one of these when they came standard with IBMs back in the day. Windows 3.1 or lower lol it was probably DOS now that I think about it. Any cheap options available? Nothing fancy just want a nice click.

You are probably talking about the IBM Model M. You could get used one from Ebay. You should also look at used and new Unicomp keyboards, as they still make the Model M as the Unicomp Classic and Unicomp Ultra Classic.
Otherwise you could get some cheap keyboard from Amazon, like this EagleTec KG010: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MPQQ0A/?tag=era0f0-20

I'm using a Ducky legend right now with Mx reds and I love it. It's nice and hefty with a real premium feel. Expensive for what it is though since, for example, it has no RGB.

Quick question! How do you people clean your keyboard? Any good rest to get the gunk out without removing all the caps?

You could use a brush between the keys, but it would be less effective than removing the keycaps.
Ideally, you'd have a wire keypuller to remove the keycaps. Something like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=949
Wire keycap pullers are better than the plastic ones that come with keyboards because they don't scratch up the keycaps.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I got the Logitech K840 for work, and it has been one of the best investments ever. Did Samsung Bixby rewards for Best Buy and it only cost mekle $20.

Great tactile feel, less noise than brown.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to show off the goods. I remember the old thread but I couldn't post!

GoN TKL 57g Ergo Clears
mhdiQMi.jpg

MJ Filco 1 w/Blues
hby2NQE.jpg

I use a WASD w/Browns at work. Perfect balance of sound and feel for me in an office setting. I would use my GoN at work if it was full-size. Been outta the game for about a year now, but I love that klack!

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You are probably talking about the IBM Model M. You could get used one from Ebay. You should also look at used and new Unicomp keyboards, as they still make the Model M as the Unicomp Classic and Unicomp Ultra Classic.
Otherwise you could get some cheap keyboard from Amazon, like this EagleTec KG010: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MPQQ0A/?tag=era0f0-20

You could use a brush between the keys, but it would be less effective than removing the keycaps.
Ideally, you'd have a wire keypuller to remove the keycaps. Something like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=949
Wire keycap pullers are better than the plastic ones that come with keyboards because they don't scratch up the keycaps.

That Model M is definitely the one! What a blast from the past seeing that! Thanks for the recs.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I bought a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i (white LEDs, blue cherry mx switches, tenkeyless) a few years ago and the cord was iffy right off the bat. I had to unplug it and plug it back in every other day to get it to register. This fall it has also begun to give up on the LED side. Eight keys so far has broken LEDs and while I know it's a pretty easy fix (basic soldering and a replacement LED) I just don't want to bother with this crap anymore. I love how it feels to type on though!

TL;DR: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i is not recommended.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i (white LEDs, blue cherry mx switches, tenkeyless) a few years ago and the cord was iffy right off the bat. I had to unplug it and plug it back in every other day to get it to register. This fall it has also begun to give up on the LED side. Eight keys so far has broken LEDs and while I know it's a pretty easy fix (basic soldering and a replacement LED) I just don't want to bother with this crap anymore. I love how it feels to type on though!

TL;DR: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i is not recommended.

The Quickfire Rapid-i has been replaced with Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S in their current lineup. Unfortunately it seems like the LED issues were never fixed over the lifespan of the Quickfire Rapid-i as there has been reports of LED failures for years.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
I wish you could order an all white or grey keyboard from wasdkeyboards, it bothers me that the board itself is always black.

My keyboard at work looks like this, sans the red esc, and with ISO layout instead. Smoove bebe. Imagine that with a white/grey board.
wasd_1160-100251021-ofss06.png

Yes, everybody at the office loves me..... takka takka takka takka takka takka takka takka takka takka takka

Last edited:

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm using the Ergo Dox EZ at the moment. I like it, but it took me a while to get used to it. I'll probably start do some remapping, and create a few custom layers soon.

SKRUZO

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
...Quick question! How do you people clean your keyboard? Any good way to get the gunk out without removing all the caps?
You can hold they keyboard vertically sideways, so left shift is up in the air and right shift is near your desk, and use a can of compressed air to try and blast out things like hairs and gunk.
Unfortunately there isn't really a substitute for taking the time to remove all of the keycaps and carefully cleaning them and the board respectively. That's the only way to really get everything out of there.

Space Acorn

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Best keyboard I've used is still the Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry brown. While I certainly haven't tried a huge amount, I found other keyboards just didn't compare to the feel, the way the spacers work on the larger keys, etc. If anyone tried one that compares favourably, I'd like to know as while it's a great keyboard, it's pretty limited (backlight and possibly some media / extra keys of any sort would be nice). I also regret not going with the full size - had to get a separate number pad, which doesn't feel as good - now use both for work, where I type the most.

Worst I've ever used is the Logitech G610 Orion with cherry brown, for one specific reason: the backlight, if not set to blindingly bright full, had a VERY loud coil whine. I don't know how people could stand using it, I had to return it.

Beyond that, my favourite of the major key types is brown. Blue's OK too, red's fine but nothing spectacular, and black's too hard to push. I like the subtle feedback of brown without the noisiness and find it yields to just the right amount of pressure for my typing style.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Ah good, a new mechanical thread.

Back before the whole meltdown someone was considering ordering one of the Leopold FC980Cs; if they see this, I'm curious to know whenever it comes in what you thought of it. I've still been eyeing it to add to my collection.

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
Best keyboard I've used is still the Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry brown. While I certainly haven't tried a huge amount, I found other keyboards just didn't compare to the feel, the way the spacers work on the larger keys, etc. If anyone tried one that compares favourably, I'd like to know as while it's a great keyboard, it's pretty limited (backlight and possibly some media / extra keys of any sort would be nice). I also regret not going with the full size - had to get a separate number pad, which doesn't feel as good - now use both for work, where I type the most.

Beyond that, my favourite of the major key types is brown. Blue's OK too, red's fine but nothing spectacular, and black's too hard to push. I like the subtle feedback of brown without the noisiness and find it yields to just the right amount of pressure for my typing style.

If you want media functionality you could get Fredrik Atmer's Pegasus Hoof replacement controller from his store. It allows you to reprogram the keyboard which you could use to add media keys to a function layer.

Space Acorn

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
If you want media functionality you could get Fredrik Atmer's Pegasus Hoof replacement controller from his store. It allows you to reprogram the keyboard which you could use to add media keys to a function layer.

Thanks for the link, that's interesting that one can do that. I wasn't clear before, but am mostly just wondering if other brands of backlit keyboards possess the same kind of feel as the Majestouch - probably more common than I think, I just haven't had the chance to try them myself.

I reprogram existing keys to my liking now using SharpKeys or AutoHotKey, two great programs btw for anyone interested (Sharpkeys for registry-based reprogramming and AHK for custom coding of keyboards shortcuts, text replacement, mouse movement, virtually anything you can think of). Having extra, unique buttons is just a "more the merrier" kind of thing so that desired extra functions don't require overwriting existing keys or the use of combination button presses, but it's not something essential. I appreciate the "right click menu" button on the Filco for instance - have it mapped to a mouseclick and as I use a lot of AHK scripts at work, I don't have to touch the mouse often as I'm working.

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a Noppoo Choc Mini for about 5-6 years now. Love it. (Brown switches).

I also belatedly learned to touch type with it. The key markings are barely visible so it keeps you true.

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the link, that's interesting that one can do that. I wasn't clear before, but am mostly just wondering if other brands of backlit keyboards possess the same kind of feel as the Majestouch - probably more common than I think, I just haven't had the chance to try them myself.

Your Filco uses wire stabilisers, which are less common in mass produced keyboards. They are also referred to as Costar stabilisers as keyboards manufactured by Costar usually use this type of stabiliser.
6RT6LIl.jpg

Most mass produced keyboards use Cherry stabilisers.
O4Hofvz.jpg

Wire stabilisers are considered by some to feel smoother than Cherry stabilisers. Most backlit keyboards use Cherry stabilisers. The material, profile and thickness of the keycaps on your keyboard also effect the feel of the switches. Because of all of these variables, it is difficult to say what backlit keyboards would have similar feeling.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe how long it took me to see the light.

Currently rockin' my Corsair K70 RGB - Cherry Browns. My last one had a funny double type issue on certain keys, didn't take long to get it checked and replaced by Corsair, so I can't complain at the customer service.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone tried the MOD switches? Specifically the tactile ones?
https://originative.co/products/mod-switch
Looking for a switch that's as close as possible to matias quiet click alps, but supports MX keycaps. I'm thinking of starting a ergodox project sometime.
But every cherry mx feels so cheap compared. I mean blue is the closest i guess but the noise, oh the noise.
If you've tried them, let me know how they compare! I was thinking on buying the 4 button switch tester from uh... Can't remember, but the shipping is a bit steep for me to justify the cost.
I can't really justify getting the alps->mx converters from whereever it was (some 3d printing site). A full set would cost me + shipping as much or even more than my matias keyboard which yea... also too steep.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any wireless boards out there, aside the Rapoo KX? For some reason barely any boards are wireless. Been waiting for a 75% wireless mech keyboard now for years :(

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any wireless boards out there, aside the Rapoo KX? For some reason barely any boards are wireless. Been waiting for a 75% wireless mech keyboard now for years :(
There's Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 and Convertible 2 Tenkeyless as well as the Anne Pro. You could just get Handheld Scientific's Bluetooth Keyboard Adapter to turn your mechanical keyboard into a wireless one, but reviews of it haven't been great. Some people have also been building their own bluetooth adapters.