Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I caved. Picked up the pre-order on the dev/tty set

z77UkMoEQYWHb1QkDJz6_sJiuPVTTuwlqr64DBgUQ_2784-copy.jpg

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
Has anybody used or seen any of these ergonomic touchpads that can be clipped to a keyboard?
I recently bought a lenovo keyboard because of the trackpoint, and the result is that I like the trackpoint but hate the keyboard.
I'm looking for alternatives to use the mouse without having to take the hands off the keyboard, and this one looks interesting.

keyboard_mini_touchpad.jpg

Bumping once for the new page.
I'm really interested in something like this.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Ive never used brown switches but I wanted them just after reading and watching videos about them. I love my cherry mx blues but theyre too loud.

With the covid premium the cheapest brown switches here were like $100 for the chinese brands but I got a good deal on logitech G513 which uses romer g tactile..

..and I hate them? extremely mushy, like theres no point in these even being mechanical. Are brown switches just not for me or are romer g just a bad substitute for cherry mx?

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never used brown switches but I wanted them just after reading and watching videos about them. I love my cherry mx blues but theyre too loud.

With the covid premium the cheapest brown switches here were like $100 for the chinese brands but I got a good deal on logitech G513 which uses romer g tactile..

..and I hate them? extremely mushy, like theres no point in these even being mechanical. Are brown switches just not for me or are romer g just a bad substitute for cherry mx?
My first mechanical keyboard was a CoolerMaster Quickfire with cherry brown switches. I wouldn't describe them as mushy at all - the bottom out is still fairly sharp like most other mechanical switches (though their tactile bump is relatively mild). I can't say I've ever tried the Romer G switches, though I have seen others describe them as mushy feeling.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
Anyone got a good source for Cherry switches in Canada? The D key on my Poker 3 has gone nuts and is constantly repeating, so I want to replace it.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Do you knwo where I can find something close to that retail? That is my ideal right there with a numpad.

There's the YMDK 96 (DIY) and the Leopold FC980M which are similar, but both have the function key row. The Vortex Vibe is also similar, but you switch between having the nav cluster/arrow keys and having the numpad.

edit: damn, way too slow, haha

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
So i have not looked into mechanical keyboard since i purchased a coolermaster quickfire stealth with Cherry MX brown switches. Been super satisfied with the switches, but the mini-USB is a pain in the ass, it keeps disconnecting if the cable moves.

Now, this might be more particular than usual, but the best goddamn keyboard configuration for programming AND typing with Canadian French layout has been the macbook pro. Looking at the mechanical board world now, it seems like it would be ISO?

It seems like to have the keyboard i want, it'd would have to be fully custom

KBD75, which supports ISO
Canadian french keys (ooof that will be hard to find)

Btw, what is up with the so many keycap websites having japanese characters? Is this a new fad?

Oct 27, 2017
Now, this might be more particular than usual, but the best goddamn keyboard configuration for programming AND typing with Canadian French layout has been the macbook pro. Looking at the mechanical board world now, it seems like it would be ISO?

It seems like to have the keyboard i want, it'd would have to be fully custom

KBD75, which supports ISO
Canadian french keys (ooof that will be hard to find)
I can't recall ever seeing a keyset that featured a Canadian French kit, I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows of one. It terms of getting one that you could actually purchase, you could probably get something pad printed from Max Keyboards (be aware the legends will get worn down over time).

If you want something more durable, I think one of your only other options would be to reach out to designers with keysets in KAT profile during the interest check phase and see if they would be willing to create a kit (these keys are dye sublimated PBT, so the legends would last much, much longer). I believe KAT profile MOQs are set by the total number of keys purchased versus each separate kit needing to reach a certain threshold. As a result, their organizers are usually more willing to accommodate kits that are more specialized and can't move the volume of a basic ANSI set. GMK is almost definitely a no go because of the way their MOQ system is set up.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I can't recall ever seeing a keyset that featured a Canadian French kit, I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows of one. It terms of getting one that you could actually purchase, you could probably get something pad printed from Max Keyboards (be aware the legends will get worn down over time).

If you want something more durable, I think one of your only other options would be to reach out to designers with keysets in KAT profile during the interest check phase and see if they would be willing to create a kit (these keys are dye sublimated PBT, so the legends would last much, much longer). I believe KAT profile MOQs are set by the total number of keys purchased versus each separate kit needing to reach a certain threshold. As a result, their organizers are usually more willing to accommodate kits that are more specialized and can't move the volume of a basic ANSI set. GMK is almost definitely a no go because of the way their MOQ system is set up.

Yea, initial findings seems to indicate this is mission impossible, unless its ABS.

I'm not hardcore enough with mech keyboards to start asking vendors for a run hahaha.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are my options for a 100% keyboard with a metal case, USB-C and bluetooth?
I could be wrong, but I don't think are really many options except maybe some budget chinese keyboards (GameSir GK300?). There aren't many full size wireless keyboards. The G915 doesn't have USB-C, the Keychron K4 has a pretty shitty (in my opinion) 96% layout. Keychron does have one in the pipeline for possible future release (link). I also just discovered that the K1 (low profile) has a 104 key layout as an option.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
It kind of feels like an ongoing "problem" in the enthusiast space is that certain features only appear bundled with other features, so if you're interested in a less common configuration, there are very few options. Like I'd like a split spacebar, but split spacebars are only common once you get down to 40% or ortho boards. How many TKL boards do we need? lol

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I could be wrong, but I don't think are really many options except maybe some budget chinese keyboards (GameSir GK300?). There aren't many full size wireless keyboards. The G915 doesn't have USB-C, the Keychron K4 has a pretty shitty (in my opinion) 96% layout. Keychron does have one in the pipeline for possible future release (link). I also just discovered that the K1 (low profile) has a 104 key layout as an option.
Thanks!

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Is everything sold out because of pandemic or it's always like that in the mechanical keyboard world?

I was looking for a DIY 75% kit, i cannot for the life of me find any.

Oct 27, 2017
Is everything sold out because of pandemic or it's always like that in the mechanical keyboard world?

Covid's made things even more scarce than they usually are for DIY mechs. I only looked a little bit, but the only kit I found in stock was some of the KBD75 v1s on KBDFans. If you do order from them, just be aware it may take them longer than usual to ship it out as the amount they can ship daily with Fedex and DHL is limited by weight.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Hmm I was looking for this thread on gaming side.

Anyway I am about to venture into my first mechanical keyboard adventure. I am about to drop 150€ on a Corsair K95. Is this dumb for a first mechanical keyboard? I am a do it right or don't do it all type of guy. I don't want a cheap keyboard that I am dissatisfied with after a year.

Or is there a better cheaper option? I definitely want rgb (yeah yeah) and dedicated media/volume buttons.

oh yeah it's mostly for gaming. I don't do a lot of typing on my gaming pc. don't do a lot of gaming either but I want to change that.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I was looking for this thread on gaming side.

Anyway I am about to venture into my first mechanical keyboard adventure. I am about to drop 150€ on a Corsair K95. Is this dumb for a first mechanical keyboard? I am a do it right or don't do it all type of guy. I don't want a cheap keyboard that I am dissatisfied with after a year.

Or is there a better cheaper option? I definitely want rgb (yeah yeah) and dedicated media/volume buttons.

oh yeah it's mostly for gaming. I don't do a lot of typing on my gaming pc. don't do a lot of gaming either but I want to change that.

That's a lot of money on a commercial keyboard I feel? Do you need the numpad? Because with the numpad and the macro keys and the huge bezel, this keyboard is a behemoth on a desk, which is opposite of the trend right now of minimizing the keyboard to have more space for the mouse and also your wrists are more naturally symmetrical. The numpad offsets your left hand wrist.

In the category of these kind of gaming keyboards, Rting has a few reviews if it helps you

www.rtings.com

The 7 Best Mechanical Keyboards - Spring 2024: Reviews

The best all-around mechanical keyboard we've tested is the Keychron Q5 Max. This wireless keyboard has premium-feeling construction, a heavyweight aluminum case, and top-of-the-line typing quality right out of the box.

Close to that price range is the Drop CTRL which is known as being very good quality. It's a TKL (without numpad). If you're ready to jump to a 65% layout, then there's a new world of choices and also cheap ones that are absolutely amazing quality.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
recommend the HyperX Elite RGB With Cherry MX Blue, cheaper than a corsair, has a volume knob, and programmable backlighting. I wanted to upgrade from my corsair with all red backlighting, but I wanted blues and I NEEDED that volume knob lol. Got mine for $80, unfortunately at least in USA, the price has skyrocketed into 130 due to low availability.
I tried to go the Redragon route for a keyboard, but I couldn't find one with a volume knob and blue equivalents. I looked at the K550 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00Y7JTJ8E/ref=twister_B06ZXY893M?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
But it has "browns" apparently you can rip out the outemu switches and replace them with some type of blue equivalent. but they're likely to break when you do that from what I've seen.

Good luck, hopefully I could at least give you some ideas. I would look at redragon, heard their quality actually isn't terrible.

Sorry for my super late reply but I ended up getting a redragon and it's actually pretty rad!

Redragon K580 VATA RGB LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, 104 Keys Anti-ghosting Gamer Keyboard with Blue Tactile Mechanical Switches, 16.8 Million Customizable RGB Backlit, 5 On-Board Macro Keys & Dedicated Media Controls Panel: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Redragon K580 VATA RGB LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, 104 Keys Anti-ghosting Gamer Keyboard with Blue Tactile Mechanical Switches, 16.8 Million Customizable RGB Backlit, 5 On-Board Macro Keys & Dedicated Media Controls Panel: Amazon.ca: Electronics

It's really good and not even that expensive!

Last edited:

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Does anyone have the Tab90m? This hasn't really been bothering at first but I really do want to use the function keys on macOS. Mac mode maps the F1,F2 buttons to f14 and f15 respectively. The F3-F6 buttons do nothing.

maeh2k

Oct 28, 2017
Munich
I'm looking for a new classic TKL keyboard for home in addition to my 75% MX Blue one (Noppoo Choc Mini).
I looked around and found one I really like – but of course I can't find it anywhere in Germany/Europe.

The Varmilo V87M in Charcoal looks great and high-quality: https://candykeys.com/product/va87m-black-ansi

I'd like to get it MX Clears. In that configuration it is currently not even available from China directly: https://en.varmilo.com/keyboardproscenium/subject_product_detailed?subjectid=116

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
I'm looking for a new classic TKL keyboard for home in addition to my 75% MX Blue one (Noppoo Choc Mini).
I looked around and found one I really like – but of course I can't find it anywhere in Germany/Europe.

The Varmilo V87M in Charcoal looks great and high-quality: https://candykeys.com/product/va87m-black-ansi

I'd like to get it MX Clears. In that configuration it is currently not even available from China directly: https://en.varmilo.com/keyboardproscenium/subject_product_detailed?subjectid=116
The Durgod K320 has a similar look, has an MX Clear version and is available in Europe.

I'm using a K320 with Clears myself and I'm quite happy with so far. I'm not sure how it compares to higher end keyboards, as I've only used cheaper mechanical keyboards before, but the general opinion was that its one of the best keyboards in its price range.

maeh2k

Oct 28, 2017
Munich
The Durgod K320 has a similar look, has an MX Clear version and is available in Europe.

I'm using a K320 with Clears myself and I'm quite happy with so far. I'm not sure how it compares to higher end keyboards, as I've only used cheaper mechanical keyboards before, but the general opinion was that its one of the best keyboards in its price range.

I actually started my search with a Durgod K320 – I was almost ready to pull the trigger, but in the end I can't accept the color scheme.
I don't like the alternating colors for the F keys.
Otherwise the Durgod looks good – even USB C already.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
I actually started my search with a Durgod K320 – I was almost ready to pull the trigger, but in the end I can't accept the color scheme.
I don't like the alternating colors for the F keys.
Otherwise the Durgod looks good – even USB C already.
The colouring is a bit off in product shots (the light grey is actually more neutral/less blue), but the dark grey F keys do strongly contrast with the light grey keys.

There's also a Leopold TKL with MX Clears, but its got the same colour pattern as the Durgod, as well as the Varmilo's lack of stock, so you'll want to wait for the Varmilo.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Well, seems inevitable at this point that I'll build a custom eventually. Jumped on my first GMK keycap group buy, and I'll need a suitable board to actually put it on. :)

GMK Modern Dolch® 2 Keycap Set

DETAILS Designed by JangladMade in Germany SPECS Profile: GMKSculpt: 1-1-2-3-4-4Legends: DoublshotModifier Style: Icon DISCLAIMER The images shown are used for illustrative purposes only. While we aim to accurately estimate and reproduce colors, there may be minor variations in the color of the...

Will probably be on the lookout for a 65–75%, maybe from KBDFans or Novelkeys. The real limited group buy luxury stuff is a little much for me at this stage, as appealing as it is.

In the meantime, I've been entertaining myself with little mods to my Drop CTRL—I replaced and lubed the stabilizers, which made a huge difference (no more rattle), and I've ordered the supplies to film and lube the switches, which should make it all that it can be short of replacing the switches entirely.

Some of both, I think. Stock always seems a bit spotty, given that these are all small operations with likely limited stock and production runs to match.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
got the hyperx alloy elite rgb with brown cherry switches. feels so good man. I had no idea that I was missing typing like this. I think my first keyboard was mechanical 20 years ago after that I have only had the standard crap. now I am just writing shit everywhere just so that I can type.

also love the rgb, ten keys, dedicated media buttons. it's a large and hefty keyboard but thats what I wanted.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
it kept failing so I tried the [ IMG ] method

Yeah, [ IMG] [/ IMG] will still work, but when using Imgur as the host site, you need to right click the image, then choose copy image location, and paste that address. If you use the url from your original post, then you need to use the Media button, which is just to the right of the Insert Image button.

Your keyboard does look nice, though! What keycaps are you using?

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, [ IMG] [/ IMG] will still work, but when using Imgur as the host site, you need to right click the image, then choose copy image location, and paste that address. If you use the url from your original post, then you need to use the Media button, which is just to the right of the Insert Image button.

Your keyboard does look nice, though! What keycaps are you using?

ahhh thanks!

it's the GMK 8008 mods with GMK Minimal Alphas.