• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo didn't murder anyone. Sony just rolled over and died.

tenor.gif

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
why is like half of everyone in this thread Canadian? can I just use Canadian prices from now on?

Also Canada really like Zelda.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Agreed, it's been the best selling system for 25 months as reported last month. Coupled with having its own Nintendo branch, Canada is undoubtedly one of the more important markets for Nintendo outside of US and Japan.
OT: Do you think in the future whenever Nintendo re-brands it's logo and moves away from the classic red/white Nintendo of Canada will stick with it because of the national flag?

Dec 21, 2020
They didn't, it was literally one Capcom game for PS4's first full year: Strider. And you're still wrong on the nature of of the first few years of support, both PS4/XBO and Switch had only a small handful of ground up games or crossgen ports, the vast majority of releases on ALL these consoles were largely old remasters and collections early on. Like we've had them listed out repeatedly in sales threads before but if you really need I can do it again.

I agree with you on some points though, I think non-AAA software and really even remasters can be notable support depending on the context of those releases. I'd also agree on Square Enix being a better upfront Switch supporter than Capcom but I also laid out the reasoning for that and Capcom's shifted catalog strategy in an exhaustive post of Capcom's R&D already when it comes to Switch. I also don't disagree Capcom's PS4 support is ahead of Switch, it is better and I don't really see that changing at any point. But that doesn't make them incomparable or erase the obviously slow ramp up we saw with both.
I'm only really arguing that the ps4 had better support and seemed more ready than the switch.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had made the post reading the week 2 sales stocks of Spain. Read post on some transportation issues due to weather.

Yeah stocks issues are going to present for quite some time.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Agreed, it's been the best selling system for 25 months as reported last month. Coupled with having its own Nintendo branch, Canada is undoubtedly one of the more important markets for Nintendo outside of US and Japan.
I'm sure it's quite convenient for them to have NoA and NoC headquarters just a short drive away from each other, in Seattle and Vancouver areas respectively.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Had made the post reading the week 2 sales stocks of Spain. Read post on some transportation issues due to weather.

Yeah stocks issues are going to present for quite some time.

90 consoles combine, that's insane. I'm not all caught up on details but was it really wise to launch in 2020 (both companies) with these massive shortages? I feel like they were both racing against one another and both fell right into an uphill battle with themselves

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
90 consoles combine, that's insane. I'm not all caught up on details but was it really wise to launch in 2020 (both companies) with these massive shortages? I feel like they were both racing against one another and both fell right into an uphill battle with themselves
MS did their earnings report yesterday and they went up a lot in revenue for the Xbox brand. I´m sure Sony will be the same. The off side might come in the first half of the year, but they´ll probably blame the off time. First half is not a huge time unless you have a huge game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is probably going to generate more revenue in this past quarter than anyone ever has in the history of consoles.

The circumstances that are causing stock issues aren't going away any time soon from the looks of things so they had to bite the bullet, especially if their rival was going ahead anyway.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
MS did their earnings report yesterday and they went up a lot in revenue for the Xbox brand. I´m sure Sony will be the same. The off side might come in the first half of the year, but they´ll probably blame the off time. First half is not a huge time unless you have a huge game.

Oh I'm not talking about revenue/profits. I know they are covered hence why a lot of games are cross gen and thanks to GP for Microsoft. It's just more of putting the new consoles during holiday and about the competition.

The hw sales even with "record breaking" launch sales seems out of whack. I know demand would still be high regardless but yikes to some of these sales. 40 consoles to Spain and 50 xbx is crazy. Japan doesn't even look as bad as that imo

edit: Sony and Nintendo to have their biggest profit quarter Ever?

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Xbox did 5 billion in Revenue in Q3 up from 3.3 Bil $ .

While we wait for PS Revenue to come, they did 4.77 in Q2

Stocks will improve but testing times will in Q1

Oh I'm not talking about revenue/profits. I know they are covered hence why a lot of games are cross gen and thanks to GP for Microsoft. It's just more of putting the new consoles during holiday and about the competition.

The hw sales even with "record breaking" launch sales seems out of whack. I know demand would still be high regardless but yikes to some of these sales. 40 consoles to Spain and 50 xbx is crazy. Japan doesn't even look as bad as that imo

Nintendo yes
Playstation No due to PS5 launch and majority of best selling games third party , Revenue ? Should be big

Also well stock issues have been a case with past launches especially 360

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020

I´m sure Sony and Nintendo will dwarves MS 5 billion. I really get your point on if it was smart to release the hardware now. But I´m sure those numbers will make the bosses and investors happy.

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
why is like half of everyone in this thread Canadian? can I just use Canadian prices from now on?

Also Canada really like Zelda.
Well, define me "Canadian"... living her since 1y and half and still I'm struggling finding some proud "Canadian".
I also got a son here and he is "Canadian" too :D

Jokes aside I found it also very interesting thinking how small the local market is.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
\
Well, define me "Canadian"... living her since 1y and half and still I'm struggling finding some proud "Canadian".
I also got a son here and he is "Canadian" too :D

Jokes aside I found it also very interesting thinking how small the local market is.
mhm, i guess m not really Canadian technically but i'm not patriotic to any country really.

I think a lot of people here have lofty predictions for Sony's quarter, Sony might have sold 3mil-5mil if we're being generous whereas the switch seems to be above 12mil for this quarter, not too mention Sony's 1st party games are dwarfed by Nintendo's. I think for a Launch it will set records, but overall I Think this quarter for Nintendo will just be the biggest quarter for them and maybe the industry as a whole.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
\

mhm, i guess m not really Canadian technically but i'm not patriotic to any country really.

I think a lot of people here have lofty predictions for Sony's quarter, Sony might have sold 3mil-5mil if we're being generous whereas the switch seems to be above 12mil for this quarter, not too mention Sony's 1st party games are dwarfed by Nintendo's. I think for a Launch it will set records, but overall I Think this quarter for Nintendo will just be the biggest quarter for them and maybe the industry as a whole.

Well the comparison there is Revenue, where Sony generates a massive amount on third party games, and digital sales(+ the high price of their consoles). Nintendo doesn't generate anywhere near the same amount of revenue, they just have a much more significant profit margin.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I'll bet that AC generated the same revenue and profit for Nintendo than all the Sony 1st party exclusive released on 2020 combined.

Jan 20, 2019
\

No.

I'll bet that AC generated the same revenue and profit for Nintendo than all the Sony 1st party exclusive released on 2020 combined.

Very doubfull, but is possible.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox did 5 billion in Revenue in Q3 up from 3.3 Bil $ .

While we wait for PS Revenue to come, they did 4.77 in Q2

Stocks will improve but testing times will in Q1

Nintendo yes
Playstation No due to PS5 launch and majority of best selling games third party , Revenue ? Should be big

Also well stock issues have been a case with past launches especially 360
I forgot which is more of an actual good thing again, profit or revenue?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I'm lost but where did the talk of Canada and the PS5 come from? Did we get shipment numbers from there?

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020

AC will sell 30mil+ so that's $1.8bil. That is pretty hard to beat, TLoU was Sony best game and it was mostly third parties that sell.

actually what is TLoU2 sold by now?

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
foxuzamaki
Both obviously are extremely important. depends on company to company

// easy example would be a lot of start up companies looks at revenue growth for gaining market share while being at loss (expenses higher than revenue) and later look at converting the losses into profitability //

For PS this is how it looks (Fy 18 profit was boost due to first party exclusives (Higher Profit on First Party) and same for FY 20 FP + (along with covid boosting SW Sales)
5HA02JA.png

However HW are sold at a loss and hence why q3 wont be a record breaking Q for PS system interms of profitability

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
foxuzamaki
Both obviously are extremely important. depends on company to company

// easy example would be a lot of start up companies looks at revenue growth for gaining market share while being at loss (expenses higher than revenue) and later look at converting the losses into profitability //

For PS this is how it looks (Fy 18 profit was boost due to first party exclusives and same for FY 20 (along with covid boosting SW Sales)
5HA02JA.png

However HW are sold at a loss and hence why q3 wont be a record breaking Q for PS system interms of profitability
I see, thanks that makes sense

Dec 21, 2020
\

To be fair, Nintnendo IPs (for the notable ones) have always performed really well, even not on the switch, and better than previous PS first party holdings.

Sorry I'm lost but where did the talk of Canada and the PS5 come from? Did we get shipment numbers from there?
Canada was mentioned because it is a stronger nintendo market, PS5 was mentioned because of like 50 or so consoles in Spain were sold?

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Also the prices of the next gen games being almost a fortune for what they are in canada, which are games that are common and also available in digital.

Unlike GC games now.
Im trying to collect CG games, why is Fire emblem 250$? why is chibi-robo 200$?! my GC costed only 40$ so for now I just want mario sunshine and pikmin and then i'm done.

but yeah I imagines software sales for XBSX and PS5 will have a lower attach rate in Canada compared to previous gens.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
AMD said console/PC shortages will continue until at least 2nd half of 2021, brutal.

PS4s started becoming available in stores around march 2014, this is far worse.

Dec 21, 2020
Im trying to collect CG games, why is Fire emblem 250$? why is chibi-robo 200$?! my GC costed only 40$ so for now I just want mario sunshine and pikmin and then i'm done.

but yeah I imagines software sales for XBSX and PS5 will have a lower attach rate in Canada compared to previous gens.
I've been thinking of modding my OG Wii to make it a GC powerhouse in some way. And the few Wii games I enjoyed

I'm debating spending quite a bit for GC games or just modding and using an SD card on it.

I'm heavily leaning towards cards cause of, well, the price lol

And convenience.

Now I need a wavebird or the GC controller...

I wanna play the classics, Zelda, Tales of, RE, Mario, ESPECIALLY METROID... *ahem*, Metal Gear and try some others like Good and Evil, Baiten Kaitos and Chibi Robo that I heard of but didn't try.

Of course, as time goes and Nintendo keeps bringing them to the switch along with third parties for some of these, I get less motivated.

tumblr_nga6gwx6sx1u5slwco1_1280.png

No but in all seriousness I don't really think Nintendo cares for them at the moment since they are busy worrying about themselves and things behind the scenes. And they also know the sensitive time of a new gen release too well.

You could say, they sympathize in a way.