• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So if there's only a Switch OLED model releasing, I guess Nintendo's just going to coast for this year? Maybe the chip shortage is causing issues and Nintendo wants to take it easy.
If 2021 Japan sales beat 2020 somehow, Nintendo must truly print money. Cause I don't see any games releasing in Japan this year that would have a huge impact like Animal Crossing.
While 2021 line-up lacks a "Must Buy" mass market title like AC, it's quite consistent and steady for this year. I think after SS HD this month, we're going to see at least one Nintendo/Partners title each month?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is entering 6th year at March 2022. I don't think Nintendo or anyone else would be crazy enough to invest at a more powerful revision so late at a console's life and PS4 showed that even a cheaper model for attracting some consumers is very questionable anymore at today's climate in the light of a new generation launch.

No, no. It's an "iterative" successor, even though I'm not sure what that's meant to mean when cross-gen releases are ubiquitous...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if there's only a Switch OLED model releasing, I guess Nintendo's just going to coast for this year? Maybe the chip shortage is causing issues and Nintendo wants to take it easy.
If 2021 Japan sales beat 2020 somehow, Nintendo must truly print money. Cause I don't see any games releasing in Japan this year that would have a huge impact like Animal Crossing.
not really coasting, methinks. Pokemon is this year and early next year, as well as a new Mario Party. might lack the pure highs of Animal Crossing, but there are games that will do big numbers

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Switch can still have software release even with a successor already out. After today the idea Switch will be by itself on the market without its successor for 8-9+years is a train that is leaving the station, which is what Chris is seemingly pointing at.

That's true for the bolded, I'm just saying NSW games can still come out 2025+ with a successor in 2025. The games that are coming if they are exclusive for next year (mainly Splat3/BotW2) kinda help out my point. But hey more power to people thinking it's going to be a 2022/2023 release. I'm not saying it won't happen at all. I'm just saying the point of it happening is nowhere near as guaranteed as some may think.

Switch is entering 6th year at March 2022. I don't think Nintendo or anyone else would be crazy enough to invest at a more powerful revision so late at a console's life and PS4 showed that even a cheaper model for attracting some consumers is very questionable anymore at today's climate in the light of a new generation launch.

This is my problem with this thinking, time and time again NSW proves many wrong (more so software side) and bucks the trend of past consoles. NSW isn't like past consoles, sure there are similarities but that does not tie it for being repeated by history.

NSW hardware momentum has never been seen like this in the past
NSW. Software momentum as well
NSW is the first time Nintendo is focused on 1 system instead of 2
There is more but I'll stop here

Last year Nintendo didn't have that many big games, in fact aside from Momotaro I argue this year WarioWare and Marty party are bigger than everything else releases in H2. Not to mention not every game might be announced

That's rare enough as it is. It really took almost 25 years for a game to outsell the first gen of Pokemon.

Mario kart wii

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, 2020's big releases in Japan included Animal Crossing, Momotaro, Paper Mario, 3D All Stars, Pikmin Deluxe, Xenoblade, and Sakuna. This year has been Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Rise, Miitopia, Skyward Sword, MH Stories 2, NEO TWEWY, Mario Golf, Pokemon Unite, Poke BD/BP, and SMTV.

Monster Hunter is now the biggest 3rd party franchise in Japan, and so that game alone means they're not really coasting.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, 2020's big releases in Japan included Animal Crossing, Momotaro, Paper Mario, 3D All Stars, Pikmin Deluxe, Xenoblade, and Sakuna. This year has been Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Rise, Miitopia, Skyward Sword, MH Stories 2, NEO TWEWY, Mario Golf, Pokemon Unite, Poke BD/BP, and SMTV.

Monster Hunter is now the biggest 3rd party franchise in Japan, and so that game alone means they're not really coasting.

Also New Pokémon Snap, Game Builder Garage, and Mario Party Superstars for this year.

While there isn't one singular game that has as much impact as Animal Crossing for this year, the sheer quantity and variety of titles on top of the impressive back catalog has been enough to maintain/increase momentum. And looking at 2022's lineup, it should continue to do so.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020

we are way past the animal crossing bump in the year on year weekly tracking. 2021 will easily be above 2020.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, fair enough! I feel like that game is forever forgotten when discussing the "light 2020 holiday lineup" in Japan.

Also New Pokémon Snap, Game Builder Garage, and Mario Party Superstars for this year.

While there isn't one singular game that has as much impact as Animal Crossing for this year, the sheer quantity and variety of titles on top of the impressive back catalog has been enough to maintain/increase momentum. And looking at 2022's lineup, it should continue to do so.
And I completely forgot about those other games. Tbf Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was also last year, but we're getting three Pokemon spin-offs in 2021. I'm not expecting Game Builder Garage to have the best legs, but if Mario Party Superstars performs anything like Super Mario Party then that's another significant game.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Lol, fair enough! I feel like that game is forever forgotten when discussing the "light 2020 holiday lineup" in Japan.
People often have a hard time seeing this kind of games as system sellers but having already far outsold BotW, SMO, SMP and LGPE there is no way, it's a massive one, even if the impact wasn't frontloaded at launch week and it relies more on its longetivity.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about Japan then I'm not sure how we would describe anyone else if Nintendo is coasting lol

MuteMap

Apr 22, 2021

Monster Hunter has been big on Nintendo since the days of the 3DS. Nintendo's just doing what they're always doing and releasing the games that have always been popular, which is what I mean by coasting, which is just doing about as successful as previous years, not going above and beyond. They're simply not releasing a 7+ million unit seller in Japan this year. I just expected more of a push before I learned the Switch OLED wasn't going to be an actual upgrade.

Jan 7, 2018
Do you guys think the OLED Switch announcement will impact the sales of the next few weeks? As in people not buying switchs to wait for the new model.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter has been big on Nintendo since the days of the 3DS. Nintendo's just doing what they're always doing and releasing the games that have always been popular, which is what I mean by coasting, which is just doing about as successful as previous years, not going above and beyond. They're simply not releasing a 7+ million unit seller in Japan this year. I just expected more of a push before I learned the Switch OLED wasn't going to be an actual upgrade.

You say that if it's an easy, or regular, thing?

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the OLED Switch announcement will impact the sales of the next few weeks? As in people not buying switchs to wait for the new model.

Not really, especially since it's still out for quite a while. You will have to wait a week or 2 before the new product release to see the effects.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If anything it'll make people want to rush out and buy the similarly spec'd OG model and pocket 4500¥

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017

7+ million sellers aren't common whatsoever. They've only happened a few times in total.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the KOF platform announcement is weird to me that they would leave out a switch version. I would think getting all that acknowledgment from Smash with Terry and etc would be a good signal for them to release the new KOF game on Switch.

I guess Xbox is enough to give them the needed extra sales lol.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, that's why I'm expecting Nintendo to coast this year and not do as well as 2020.

Not doing as well as 2020 wouldn't be coasting.

But 2021 is already 340k units ahead of 2020 YTD and it's months after Animal Crossing at this point aligned. So not having a 7m+ title doesn't really mean anything for the back half. They just need to maintain momentum with medium/large scale titles, which they are with Pokémon, Mario Party, SMTV, etc.

MuteMap

Apr 22, 2021
Not doing as well as 2020 wouldn't be coasting.

But 2021 is already 340k units ahead of 2020 YTD and it's months after Animal Crossing at this point aligned. So not having a 7m+ title doesn't really mean anything for the back half. They just need to maintain momentum with medium/large scale titles, which they are with Pokémon, Mario Party, SMTV, etc.

Ok, we definitely have different definitions of what coasting is, cause I was confused about where this whole disagreement came from, cause I don't actually disagree about what could happen for Nintendo sales this year.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

There's likely no title left on Switch's lifecycle that may have the impact of Animal Crossing.

Can't help but chuckle at how accurate this is.

I don't get it, isn't it trying to replicate that anyway? What's the big discovery?

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, we definitely have different definitions of what coasting is, cause I was confused about where this whole disagreement came from, cause I don't actually disagree about what could happen for Nintendo sales this year.

Oh, okay. It just seemed like you were expressing doubt that Nintendo would surpass its sales last year with its lineup this year.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the KOF platform announcement is weird to me that they would leave out a switch version. I would think getting all that acknowledgment from Smash with Terry and etc would be a good signal for them to release the new KOF game on Switch.

I guess Xbox is enough to give them the needed extra sales lol.
Forget smash, they put like 90% of kof games and games connected to it on the switch, theyve been building an entire audience on the switch just to say the new game is not coming to it