• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Q3 3DS vs NSW

W27: 27.5k / 52.2k [Gap 1698k]
W28: 57.0k / 96.9k [1658k]
W29: 41.5k / 113.2k [1587k]
W30: 42.5k / 125.2k [1505k]
W31: 41.2k /
W32: 41.9k /
W33: 50.2k /
W34: 33.2k /
W35: 34.7k /
W36: 27.9k /
W37: 44.9k /
W38: 47.4k /
W39: 32.8k /

Tot: 537k / 387.5k

neroxyr

Nov 14, 2018
Just wanted to make this. OMFG!!!!! Is this a first?

market.png

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Stock problems for eBaseball Powerful Switch version are starting to spread. Don't be surprised if nexts weeks the PS4 version is the best selling one.
That's odd since it was the PS4 version that was at 80-100% sellthrough last week, the Switch version was still 60-80%
Check again. Cheapest PS4 is 45k yens, Pro at 57k yens at third party sellers.
Uh, I checked again.

x7VFgc5.png

See that "Add to cart" button? That wasn't available for the past 5-6 weeks or so. Why do you think the Pro jumped from the 100s to rank 2-4?

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Animal crossing really was like a 2nd launch for Switch. The skies the limit this holiday

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing sao's sales are gonna look like to bamco is a bomb, it will put more investers and high ranking employees on harada's back, especially when theres no switch version which had the chance to double its sales

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Q3 3DS vs NSW

W27: 27.5k / 52.2k [Gap 1698k]
W28: 57.0k / 96.9k [1658k]
W29: 41.5k / 113.2k [1587k]
W30: 42.5k / 125.2k [1505k]
W31: 41.2k /
W32: 41.9k /
W33: 50.2k /
W34: 33.2k /
W35: 34.7k /
W36: 27.9k /
W37: 44.9k /
W38: 47.4k /
W39: 32.8k /

Tot: 537k / 387.5k

Insane that if supply is enough the Switch could beat the quarter next week.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
What happened with PS4 man. Japan just fucking dropped it. Did the same happen with other Sony generation transitions?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing sao's sales are gonna look like to bamco is a bomb, it will put more investers and high ranking employees on harada's back, especially when theres no switch version which had the chance to double its sales

I don't think investors have asked about Switch since 2018. The hot topics have been streaming and next gen so the pressure has kidn of disappeared.
What happened with PS4 man. Japan just fucking dropped it. Did the same happen with other Sony generation transitions?

There's no stock.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
You know, if was responsible for third party relations at Nintendo Japan, i'd print these numbers out and send them to the japanese 3rds with the sentence "in case you need more motivation".

But good that i'm not responsible for this, and that it's actual people who probably better than me and less spiteful.

I imagine Yamauchi would have done that if he were still alive.

Anyways props to Animal Crossing sales and Paper Mario's hold. Hopefully wom pushes it further.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much would do the AC sales will be bundles ?
It's really been a catalyst in driving the hardware sales.

PS4 sales is like whatever now lol, they wont bother stocking it seem, wondering if they will increase the stocks later on

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Unironically arguing that 3rd party will focus on PS avoiding Switch using mega bomba SAO of all games as a evidence is for sure a point. There are plenty of 3rd party games that are far more succesful than that.

Would PS4 really be selling that much if it was well stocked??

Realistically around 6k-4k is what PS4 could do in a normal week.

Last edited:

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Must be a nightmare to certain spin doctors seeing Nintendo succeeding to this extent, while Playstation is in its absolute low point right now in Japan. As to the low stock situation, remember when Nintendo was called incompetent when there was low Stock due to very high demand when Switch launched? PS4 situation is simply bad, from low demand and to arguably even worse failing to meet this very limited demand.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Holy at those switch numbers. AC is amazing as usual. It is hard for me to understand how SE, Capcom and other big Japanese devs thought of the switch like an afterthough. Oh well. I bet next switch will have the same fate.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Sony is probably more concerned with getting its remaining PS4 stock to western markets

There is a reason why the Playstation brand seemingly collapsed in Japan and this kind of logic and justification is an important factor, that also lead to certain strategic moves after Ken Kutaragis Playstation era, after PS2 and PSP.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 sales were pretty slow but not as slow as this IIRC. It's a combination of two factors;;

First, Sony are themselves are more interested in serving the more lucrative western markets with PS4 and getting the PS5 off to a good start worldwide than squeezing out another million PS4 sales out of Japan. You can see this in the lack of price drops and unit shipments to the region.

Second, and most importantly, PlayStation is no longer aimed at the mass market in Japan and has transitioned into a more niche, premium console for enthusiasts. All tentpole third-party franchises got a major release on PS4 and most enthusiasts have already bought the console to play them. The mass market audience simply isn't there to carry the PS4 in the mid to late product cycle as it did with the PS1 and PS2.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Yea if PS4 is having trouble to even match PS3 sales even with the huge backing of third party Japanese developers, I have no hope for the PS5 in Japan tbh.

Not only will the system be expensive and huge, it will be going against the Switch which is a huge commodity in Japan. What are the PS5 launch games for Japan? And which of those will be enticing to consumers.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough to remember when the Gamecube sold over 20k the week that Wind Waker was released and people were celebrating.

It's incredible to see these Switch sales. It's almost unbelievable.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 topic;

On top of anything else, the price of PS5 itself is kind of and will be unwelcome too.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Some analyst, somewhere, somehow, is probably thinking it's time for Nintendo to drop the price of the Switch.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea if PS4 is having trouble to even match PS3 sales even with the huge backing of third party Japanese developers, I have no hope for the PS5 in Japan tbh.

Not only will the system be expensive and huge, it will be going against the Switch which is a huge commodity in Japan. What are the PS5 launch games for Japan? And which of those will be enticing to consumers.

We don't know the launch line up for any region at the moment but it's not all that important. PS4 did pretty terribly at first but had strong commitment from third parties. PS5 should also benefit from the fact that any game developed for PS4 will be playable at superior quality on PS5. Tales of Zestiria was PS3 only despite launching in 2015.

Some analyst, somewhere, somehow, is probably thinking it's time for Nintendo to drop the Switch and go all in on Mobile

FTFY

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
What's SAO that all of you are talking about?
Sword Art Online is a young adult media franchise based on a virtual reality MMO.

The recent game debuted at 73k initial week sales which was below the previous game's (Fatal Bullet) debut week of 81k sales.

The game is really poor in various factors (FPS, bugs, load times, etc) so it has very poor word of mouth and will very likely not sell its initial shipment without steep discounts. This of course, has nothing to do with the PS4 but rather has to do with the incompetence of the developer to put out such a shoddy product.

Chris decided to equate it with a fighting game based on a manga/anime superhero property, One Punch Man, which sold 4.5k copies its first week, far worse. I'm not sure why Chris made this comparison personally.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sword Art Online is a young adult media franchise based on a virtual reality MMO.

The recent game debuted at 73k initial week sales which was below the previous game's (Fatal Bullet) debut week of 81k sales.

The game is really poor in various factors (FPS, bugs, load times, etc) so it has very poor word of mouth and will very likely not sell its initial shipment without steep discounts. This of course, has nothing to do with the PS4 but rather has to do with the incompetence of the developer to put out such a shoddy product.

Chris decided to equate it with a fighting game based on a manga/anime superhero property, One Punch Man, which sold 4.5k copies its first week, far worse. I'm not sure why Chris made this comparison personally.
The decline didn't start with this entry. Fatal Bullet already saw a big decline. It showed once again how the PS4 struggled to absorb the PSV audience and how a single SKU strategy is dumb for this kind of anime games.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

The interview with Takahashi and Harada made very clear what Haradas position is (necessity of flashy graphics, despite supporting PSP and PSV) and that he wasn't really aware how well RPGs perform on Switch saleswise.

Which was followed up with Harada closing doors for potential Xenosaga remasters anytime soon, because it supposedly didn't pass their internal market research test..., despite Switch selling well, JRPGs selling well on the system and Monolithsoft having their biggest success on the system.

Last edited:

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The interview with Takahashi and Harada made very clear what his position is (necessity of flashy graphics, despite supporting PSP and PSV) and that he wasn't really aware how well RPGs perform on Switch saleswise.

Which was followed up with closing doors for potential Xenosaga remasters anytime soon, because it supposedly didn't pass their internal market research test..., despite Switch selling well, JRPGs selling well on the system and Monolithsoft having their biggest success on the system.

I'm curious on what their market research is lol. It seems like they aren't researching hard enough looking at Namco's support on the switch.

Flashy graphics didn't save SAO from declining.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Must be a nightmare to certain spin doctors seeing Nintendo succeeding to this extent, while Playstation is in its absolute low point right now in Japan. As to the low stock situation, remember when Nintendo was called incompetent when there was low Stock due to very high demand when Switch launched? PS4 situation is simply bad, from low demand and to arguably even worse failing to meet this very limited demand.

???

Its confirmed to have received no stocks for the last few weeks

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
The decline didn't start with this entry. Fatal Bullet already saw a big decline. It showed once again how the PS4 struggled to absorb the PSV audience and how a single SKU strategy is dumb for this kind of anime games.
Probably true, but it's not like a Switch version would bring it back where it was 4-5 years ago. The IP itself is in decline. There's a bazillion of overpowered bland light novel protagonists with a bevy of cute girls fawning over them now.

It's not like Pirate Warriors 4 did anything like PW1 or PW2 numbers. It'll sell around what PW3 did. Even though there was a steep decline from PW2 to PW3, that doesn't mean PW4 did poorly and should be equated to One Punch Man, does it? One Piece just isn't at the same level of zeitgeist popularity as it was during the Strong World times. That's basically the same way I think of Sword Art Online now.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is probably more concerned with getting its remaining PS4 stock to western markets
I'm not sure they will stop production any time soon, but the stock is low worldwide so it makes sense as a kind of reverse Ring Fit situation.

And why is ACL comparing it to the Switch launch of all things? More comparable to the tail end of the Wii U.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

I think the reason for the comparison is pretty clear.