• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
The next mainline game of their 2nd biggest franchise is coming to Switch. They might follow an exclusive approach but it is not one-sided toward PS.
SMTV is something they committed to quite a while back. I'll believe their support is not one sided when we see EO on the Switch. Everyone is expecting this to happen, and i was at the time 100% certain it will, but more and more time is passing with nothing being announced...

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still laugh at Joker being included as first dlc character and getting premium exposure on most popular fighting game and Nintendo getting nothing in return, they couldn't even get granted in the deal a dirty PS3 port of Persona 5. To be fair, when I see things like this that apparently don't make any sense, I put the blame on Nintendo and their inability to get deals with Japanese third party companies. Perhaps the simple explanation is that Sony is doing things much better behind curtains, approaching companies, better relationships with higher-ups and so on. That's something to take into account too and to acknowledge.

You mean the same company that is solely responsible for us getting Dragon Quest games localized in NA for over a decade or the same one that started promoting Monster Hunter in the west, for again, over a decade? Yeah, they're clearly so terrible at dealing with third party companies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
SMTV is something they committed to quite a while back. I'll believe their support is not one sided when we see EO on the Switch. Everyone is expecting this to happen, and i was at the time 100% certain it will, but more and more time is passing with nothing being announced...
They released games on 3DS these past couple of years like EO and PQ2.

You shouldn't only look at their Switch output when comparing the PS/Nintendo dichotomy.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
They released games on 3DS these past couple of years like EO and PQ2.

You shouldn't only look at their Switch output when comparing the PS/Nintendo dichotomy.

This is where I disagree. their support for 3DS is nothing more than reusing assets and minimizing costs as much as possible. it doesn't mean anything for their situation with Switch. Capcom did the same, releasing many MH spin offs on 3DS only to announce and release World on PS4 as an exclusive in the Asian market.

Oct 26, 2017
This is where I disagree. their support for 3DS is nothing more than reusing assets and minimizing costs as much as possible. it doesn't mean anything for their situation with Switch. Capcom did the same, releasing many MH spin offs on 3DS only to announce and release World on PS4 as an exclusive in the Asian market.

Monster Hunter had sales potential in the US as it was a multiplayer RPG about fighting dinosaurs.

EO has, uhhh, basically no sales potential in the US.

We'll see if that gets made in general or if Atlus becomes largely SMT from now on.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not even comparable. DoA6 has a LTD of 50k

True, Warriors Orochi 4 and Dynasty Warriors still did triple that. It'a a far cry from their hey day though.
DoA5 sold 85k, it is not comparable with DW or Warriors Orochi.

I was thinking more worldwide, especially when we're considering Ni-Oh as a major game. That only did like 120k IIRC?
It seems that Atlus is sharing Sega's internal strategy of releasing console exclusive games for PS4. if they wanted to release something, they would've done by now. they have 0 games for the platform.

DOA shipped 350k worldwide, If I'm not mistaken.

Wasn't that just in the first month? I assume it sold a bit more than that but yeah major bomba.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
in fact I expect even more Japanese developer "attachments" to PS5 than there were for PS4) , but where/when have Atlus actually revealed that?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, PS4 could end up selling worse than PS3 in Japan, and considering current trends and even stronger US focus PS5 might end up selling even worse in Japan.

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Monster Hunter had sales potential in the US as it was a multiplayer RPG about fighting dinosaurs.

EO has, uhhh, basically no sales potential in the US.

We'll see if that gets made in general or if Atlus becomes largely SMT from now on.

Of course, and its obvious that Capcom made the right decision with MH.
I just wanted to say that their support for 3DS in past years is not an indication for their future strategy.

Wasn't that just in the first month? I assume it sold a bit more than that but yeah major bomba.

They released the free version very quickly this time too.
I wonder if they will release a "plus" version in the future.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Is SMT V actually still happening?
In terms of still being in development as a Switch exclusive

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is SMT V actually still happening?
In terms of still being in development as a Switch exclusive
Of course (I mean, unless you expect us to muse about a possible cancellation without any indication). The most recent thing I could find is from late 2018, where they said in an interview that it is taking a bit more time to adjust to UE4 than expected.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, having a character in Smash definitely opens up for more potential deals for sure. Its a good way to make the most of it. I'm just wondering how the whole character selecting process works, if Nintendo have certain requirements, or if they just mainly want a specific character in the game because its iconic and/or requested by many. And if Nintendo feels "hosed" if they include a character and doesnt get a game released from said 3rd party etc..
It's probably largely just Sakurai choosing things and Nintendo approving it. I think that's why Nintendo is not half as aggressive as they should be. Hero made a ton of sense with DQ11S. Banjo at least is a fan request and Microsoft has been supporting Switch quite a bit for being a platform holder (Minecraft, Cuphead, Minecraft Dungeons, and now Ori).

Joker to me shows it's partly games that Sakurai likes, because he plays a lot of games...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You are twisting facts to fit your argument.

Stick to facts please, support is evaluated by the output not the reasons behind.

Saying that Atlus and Capcom didn't support significantly the 3DS isn't true in any way, especially since MH4 was on the system and probably killed the Vita.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017

Stick to facts please, support is evaluated by the output not the reasons behind.

Saying that Atlus and Capcom didn't support significantly the 3DS isn't true in any way, especially since MH4 was on the system and probably killed the Vita.
But I think he's right when he's saying that strong 3DS support means very little for the Switch. Atlus was just cashing in on investements they had made since the DS era. With the death of that line of consoles, everything is reset.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

I don't understand why you are throwing accusations now. I didn't say Capcom and Atlus didn't support 3DS at all.

What I said is they kept reusing assets and existing technology to minimize cost and this in no way is an indicator for their future release strategy. isn't it a fact that MH moved to another platform and Atlus didn't release any Switch game for 3 years now? this is the point I wanted to make.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I don't understand why you are throwing accusations now. I didn't say Capcom and Atlus didn't support 3DS at all.

What I said is they kept reusing assets and existing technology to minimize cost and this in no way is an indicator for their future release strategy. isn't it a fact that MH moved to another platform and Atlus didn't release any Switch game for 3 years now? this is the point I wanted to make.

That's Atlus usual strategy. Catherine remaster and P5R for example aren't any different, in terms of rehashing old games, with added content as a bonus.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Of course (I mean, unless you expect us to muse about a possible cancellation without any indication). The most recent thing I could find is from late 2018, where they said in an interview that it is taking a bit more time to adjust to UE4 than expected.

Thanks
Was the latest (or only? Can't remember) trailer just CGI?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
What does squid ink actually taste like? For some reason I imagine it to be oily and alkaline

Tastes quite a bit like squid, saltier and richer umami. It's not very heavy in its oiliness, lighter than olive oil, it's fairly alkaline, similar to maybe seaweed.

Never tried it with tomato sauce, like in the picture, wonder how it would taste with the acidic tomatoes.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
That's Atlus usual strategy. Catherine remaster and P5R for example aren't any different, in terms of rehashing old games, with added content as a bonus.

I would second this. People are too focused on persona 5. Atlus hasn't released enough games to make a statement about loyalties and such. Atlus isn't as prolific as in the ps2 /ds days. In the time frame of p4 and p5 (console games) they released a game on ps3 and one on the wii u.

And to be honest....we are giving atlus way too much credit. They made 1 game for ps4....during it's entire run. Maybe the new ip will be a cross gen game like p5 or maybe it won't release for the next 3 years....we simply don't know. To talk about strong sony or strong nintendo support is silly. (Imo)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But I think he's right when he's saying that strong 3DS support means very little for the Switch. Atlus was just cashing in on investements they had made since the DS era. With the death of that line of consoles, everything is reset.

As far as Atlus goes though, we just haven't seen much of their other developers outside of the Persona team (who are coming with a quick game since it's an enhanced version too). It's not like we saw Etrian Odyssey or the Devil Survivor teams going elsewhere for example. They're just nowhere right now (well, the Devil Survivor team is probably behind the enhanced TMS). Keep in mind that in Atlus' case they were supporting the 3ds up late into the last year, they were one of the last developers to drop it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of SMTV there's a lot of areas and scenes in Astral Chain that really gave me SMT vibes.

I would second this. People are too focused on persona 5. Atlus hasn't released enough games to make a statement about loyalties and such. Atlus isn't as prolific as in the ps2 /ds days. In the time frame of p4 and p5 (console games) they released a game on ps3 and one on the wii u.

And to be honest....we are giving atlus way too much credit. They made 1 game for ps4....during it's entire run. Maybe the new ip will be a cross gen game like p5 or maybe it won't release for the next 3 years....we simply don't know. To talk about strong sony or strong nintendo support is silly. (Imo)

That isn't true even if you only count non-ports as they did the two Persona dancing games too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SMTV taking so long makes me wonder whether or not they're putting a Persona 5 level budget behind it.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Im pretty sure the Vita did a fine job of killing itself, even if Sony did their best to hasten it along.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

It took Atlus 3 years to get a game out on PS4 too. Switch seems like it's on the same schedule.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I still laugh at Joker being included as first dlc character and getting premium exposure on most popular fighting game and Nintendo getting nothing in return, they couldn't even get granted in the deal a dirty PS3 port of Persona 5. To be fair, when I see things like this that apparently don't make any sense, I put the blame on Nintendo and their inability to get deals with Japanese third party companies. Perhaps the simple explanation is that Sony is doing things much better behind curtains, approaching companies, better relationships with higher-ups and so on. That's something to take into account too and to acknowledge.
The director of Smash Bros is a huge Persona 5 fan. Base off interviews he's given and Atlus as well. He picked Joker to be included in the pass and had less to do with Nintendo themselves picking Joker.

You're jumping to conclusions right here. It was more a favor to the director who's making Smash add a character they like.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Tastes quite a bit like squid, saltier and richer umami. It's not very heavy in its oiliness, lighter than olive oil, it's fairly alkaline, similar to maybe seaweed.

Never tried it with tomato sauce, like in the picture, wonder how it would taste with the acidic tomatoes.
Nice, need to try it someday

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sakurai gets what Sakurai wants

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
About SNK, do you think those things (if not all of them, at least some of them) wouldnt have happened if Terry Bogard wasnt in Smash?
SNK's heavy Switch support probably has more to do with Hamster selling a shitload of NeoGeo games on the system than anything.

Even with Terry his biggest game currently is probably KOF14 and that's a Sony console exclusive.
KOFXV is going to be on Switch. XIV was looked at but SNK decided to just move ahead to the next game (probably in part because the old engine runs like crap).

If Garou 2 happens I bet that's on Switch too.

Oct 26, 2017
Sakurai was not the one who picked the DLC characters, though.

I really doubt Nintendo picked Terry. Sakurai has constantly talked about how King of Fighters was part of the origin story of Smash Bros. and Terry's announcement has created zero hype in the United States (though perhaps some in Latin America, no idea about how much hype was created by Terry for Japanese or European fans). A Sans costume has generated like 1000x the hype.

Oct 26, 2017
When you think about it, the profit maximizing pick for Smash Bros was really picking Terry over Tracer, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro.

Despite all three of those non-Terry characters having really popular games on the Switch and being really popular characters and from a publisher that is very important to Nintendo.

Sakurai obviously picked the DLC characters.

Oct 26, 2017
I was under the impression Sakurai chose from a shortlist given to him.

Would Terry make a 25 or 50 character shortlist for Nintendo?

Activision: Tracer, D.Va, Crash, Spyro
Bethesda: Dragonborn, Doomguy
Square: Tifa, Terra, Vivi, Ashe, Lightning, Aerith, Steiner, Locke, Cecil, Kain, Sora, Riku, Aqua
Capcom: Dante, Leon, Chun-Li, Jill, Amaterasu
Namco: KOS-MOS, some Tekken characters
Sega: Tails, Amy
Level 5: Professor Layton

And many more beyond that as these are just off the top of my head, IDK.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do we know KOFXV will be on Switch? Did they say anything about it?

IIRC they told investors that they will release their games on all consoles, and they're at least backing it up with Samurai Spirits(a few months later). Plans could obviously change but the intention seems to be there at least.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Would Terry make a 25 or 50 character shortlist for Nintendo?
I think SNK would and he's basically their mascot.

IIRC they told investors that they will release their games on all consoles, and they're at least backing it up with Samurai Spirits(a few months later). Plans could obviously change but the intention seems to be there at least.
Yes, specifically they said the next new Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug and KOF games would be on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and Steam.