• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2020
Nomura said that it was for technical reasons, and that sounds weird
what kind of arcane magicks did they pull to port that? they lost the source to KH1, so I'm guessing they had to do some crazy shit to it
IIRC, KH was a bit buggy on XB1 where it prompted you with the PlayStation button prompt, KH3 was a technical limitation based on what was said by ZhugeEX. So it may be a combination of it being a not so stellar game to port but letting a couple of other KH games being odd, like a partial collection if you will.

And they probably believe that it would not sell so well, and when a later more performant NSW comes out then they can do it all, even with partial downloads which is a different thing. And not a partial collection.

I am not new to Media Create threads and have both read and (I believe) participated in them since before the creation of this forum. While not everyone makes these claims, they have happened. (The asterisks are meant to be my own commentary.) I understand that a lot of the discussion that goes on is ostensibly sales related. Often times, it reads more like system wars to me. This is the main reason I stopped posting in them.
I understand that, I've seen some posts that brush the cusp of platform warring, but I have also seen some posts that only state factual information and it gets refuted with a "feelings comment" that does not really add value to the factual data. Like right now for example, PS5 isn't doing to hot software wise in Japan, but the person replying "You don't think it would sell well? come on now lol" and "I don't understand why needing a switch version for JRPG is necessary" within the same comment, and misrepresentation of what the OP said, is something that needs to be addressed as it also brushes the cusp of platform warring. It's totally bad faith, painting the argument with data as something else.

I guess it goes both ways, I can see why some would be put off by the regulars, but some that don't post also need to see the other angle of this, gets tiring.

And the way the threads were dragging the "selling 1 million" meme was so tasteless. I can understand in that thread, but that was dragged through the dirt for more than just that thread. Mainly at the moment where it isn't really necessary, you know? I get the laughs here and there, but it already going overboard imo.
Regarding Falcom, I'd say that they are in a difficult place. The Kiseki series requires them to build an audience over time. There were probably a number of factors as to why the Kiseki series didn't start seeing 3DS multiplats to build up a Nintendo audience earlier, or why they were Vita/PS3 in the first place. I do agree that the future of the series is in question unless gear up to a postion where they are releasing simultaneous Switch/PS4/PS5 multiplats.

The giant caveat to everything that I am saying is that I believe more developers need to start putting their games on Switch and fast. I have also been wondering if, by the time the PS6 comes around, the platform will look more like the Xbox did last generation (only receiving multiplats of the most notable releases, primarily from S-E, while the vast majority of titles target a Nintendo platform.)
I'm more of the waiting game with Falcom, observing if they at least do PC day and date with PS as that can really also help them, and I worry for them long-term. Decline is evident and I am curious if Kondo will shift, even if not to the switch.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
www.resetera.com

Square Enix held a GDC talk about the procedural generation of animations for mechs (that looks a lot like Front Mission)

Look, there's not a lot of hot goss for us Front Mission fans to talk about these days, so we have to make do with stuff like this! I saw it pop up on Famitsu a couple of hours ago, but apparently SE held... Animation Summit: From Design: Full Procedural Animations for Mechs At GDC 2021. I'm not...
Ah that's it! I probably posted in it too lol. Hope it's not just a Left Alive test >_>

It is. But in our hearts it lives forever. Lol.
Saaaaaad lol 😂

Sigh :( one of the side effect of Covid and the loss of tourism.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they probably believe that it would not sell so well
gary-coleman-confused.gif

I pray they are not that dumb

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
IIRC, KH was a bit buggy on XB1 where it prompted you with the PlayStation button prompt, KH3 was a technical limitation based on what was said by ZhugeEX. So it may be a combination of it being a not so stellar game to port but letting a couple of other KH games being odd, like a partial collection if you will.

And they probably believe that it would not sell so well, and when a later more performant NSW comes out then they can do it all, even with partial downloads which is a different thing. And not a partial collection.

I understand that, I've seen some posts that brush the cusp of platform warring, but I have also seen some posts that only state factual information and it gets refuted with a "feelings comment" that does not really add value to the factual data. Like right now for example, PS5 isn't doing to hot software wise in Japan, but the person replying "You don't think it would sell well? come on now lol" and "I don't understand why needing a switch version for JRPG is necessary" within the same comment, and misrepresentation of what the OP said, is something that needs to be addressed as it also brushes the cusp of platform warring. It's totally bad faith, painting the argument with data as something else.

I guess it goes both ways, I can see why some would be put off by the regulars, but some that don't post also need to see the other angle of this, gets tiring.

And the way the threads were dragging the "selling 1 million" meme was so tasteless. I can understand in that thread, but that was dragged through the dirt for more than just that thread. Mainly at the moment where it isn't really necessary, you know? I get the laughs here and there, but it already going overboard imo.

I'm more of the waiting game with Falcom, observing if they at least do PC day and date with PS as that can really also help them, and I worry for them long-term. Decline is evident and I am curious if Kondo will shift, even if not to the switch.
But then why port the musical game?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Falcom titles are declining but they do not sell milion copies in Japan.
Just above 100/200 k copies.
They do not Need mainstream fans support, their core audience Is enought to break even of make profits.
Imho. They are not like FF which used to sell to a bigger audience and Is more affected from a Low install base.
All imho
The thing is with how badly PS is doing in Japan, the core audience will just continue to shrink.
That's plausible, and for the record I don't think anyone thought it was the actual reason. It was just getting memed on.
Oh I know.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that was a port, I thought it was a new game?

That said, afaiw it isn't part of a collection either really.
the game used a lot of assets from the KH Collection remaster. don't know if it's prerendered or real time though. MoM is also made in Unity

Perhaps to avoid controversy.
I still can't see this being a problem, in a world where digital makes up a huge chunk of revenue. I know there are parents/youngsters/collectors who'd what digital, but they're probably a smaller market. one thing they can do is break up the collection. it'd cost a premium over digital, but the physical market would eat it easily

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
-
They do not Need mainstream fans support, their core audience Is enought to break even of make profits.
Imho. They are not like FF which used to sell to a bigger audience and Is more affected from a Low install base.
All imho

The thing is with how badly PS is doing in Japan, the core audience will just continue to shrink.

Oh I know.

For reference from GDL https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/

Trails of Cold Steel
PSV 93,674 FW/ 126,371 LTD
PS3 71,868 FW/ 100,679 LTD

Trails of Cold Steel II
PSV 98,161 FW/ 122,743 LTD
PS3 71,069 FW/ 87,223 LTD

Trails of Cold Steel III
PS4 104,401 FW/ 124,721 LTD

Trails of Cold Steel IV
PS4 97,158 FW/ 115,842 LTD

Hajimari no Kiseki(Trails of Reverie?)
PS4 83,680 FW/ 104,067 LTD

Dec 21, 2020
the game used a lot of assets from the KH Collection remaster. don't know if it's prerendered or real time though. MoM is also made in Unity

I still can't see this being a problem, in a world where digital makes up a huge chunk of revenue. I know there are parents/youngsters/collectors who'd what digital, but they're probably a smaller market. one thing they can do is break up the collection. it'd cost a premium over digital, but the physical market would eat it easily
I meant controversy in splitting the collection for a few games, leaving others out and charging a certain amount, especially if it is full price or close to it which the webs would never let go. Even for a game like this which would be more core oriented, unlike pokemon which we now know they sell for waifus and husbandos.

Basically I can see the "The game is good, but it is not worth the price they are asking for when it is a partial collection" and then with NSW2/DANE/PRO releasing the other half of the collection would seem off.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant controversy in splitting the collection for a few games, leaving others out and charging a certain amount, especially if it is full price or close to it which the webs would never let go. Even for a game like this which would be more core oriented, unlike pokemon which we now know they sell for waifus and husbandos.

Basically I can see the "The game is good, but it is not worth the price they are asking for when it is a partial collection" and then with NSW2/DANE/PRO releasing the other half of the collection would seem off.
well, releasing the parts at full price each would definitely be a mistake. I was thinking $30 for each half (1FM/CoM then 2FM/BBS) and maybe a collectors edition with some goodies.

or they can always go the simpler route and take steps to reduce the file size. looking up 1.5/2.5, it's 45GB. that can probably be squeezed down into a 32GB cart (or a 16GB cart + download)

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I am going to post a weekly comparison of 3ds year 5 and NSW year 5 later today (I hope)

It really is crazy because NSW sales in year 6 will easily have a higher weekly avg than 3ds did in year 5 and that's with NSW being roughly almost 2mil ahead

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
-

For reference from GDL https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/

Trails of Cold Steel
PSV 93,674 FW/ 126,371 LTD
PS3 71,868 FW/ 100,679 LTD

Trails of Cold Steel II
PSV 98,161 FW/ 122,743 LTD
PS3 71,069 FW/ 87,223 LTD

Trails of Cold Steel III
PS4 104,401 FW/ 124,721 LTD

Trails of Cold Steel IV
PS4 97,158 FW/ 115,842 LTD

Hajimari no Kiseki(Trails of Reverie?)
PS4 83,680 FW/ 104,067 LTD

The drop in half says everything about the importance of the handheld market for certain titles. Like when only 10-20% of your handheld sales migrate the to console version, there's obviously a fair amount of inertia there. I guess its maybe made up for by a higher price, but it seems risky hoping that you can continue to juice a small demographic ad infinitum, and there are certainly second order effects of reduced word-of-mouth etc.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
My apologies for being a cynical bastard sometimes, I do love this community though! Hope we can all return fresh in the next one on Thursday.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Year 5 (H2)

W##: 3DS

W27: 26.9k
W28; 28.0k
W29: 27.3k
W30: 26.2k
W31: 51.2k
W32: 36.0k
W33: 45.0k
W34: 29.0k
W35: 47.4k
W36: 30.0k
W37: 24.7k
W38: 28.0k
W39: 27.9k
W40: 22.6k
W41: 22.0k
W42: 23.0k
W43: 19.4k
W44: 18.6k
W45: 27.5k
W46: 25.7k
W47: 33.2k
W48: 133.6k
W49: 89.4k
W50: 106.5k
W51: 147.7k
W52: 160.5k

W27-W37 —> [3DS - 372k] vs [NSW - 776k]

1257k — 3DS Year 5 H2
2190k — 3DS Year 5 Total

(Switch comparison will be added later, but with 60k minimum so far in H2, you can see the difference)

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All imho
As of today, no PS5 game has sold 100k copies, the big AAA games like resident evil that potentially could and have sold 1 million hasent even reached that 100k goal. Falcom's current strategy is to transition their fan base to PS5 despite this

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Ah that's not terrible at least.

I'd really be curious to see what the best selling Metroidvania has sold in Japan. Might just be a naturally low ceiling to that "genre" in Japan.
According to GDL, the original Metroid is sitting at 1.04 million

I feel pretty confident betting that nothing else in the genre sold much higher than that

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Year 5 (H2)

W##: 3DS

W27: 26.9k
W28; 28.0k
W29: 27.3k
W30: 26.2k
W31: 51.2k
W32: 36.0k
W33: 45.0k
W34: 29.0k
W35: 47.4k
W36: 30.0k
W37: 24.7k
W38: 28.0k
W39: 27.9k
W40: 22.6k
W41: 22.0k
W42: 23.0k
W43: 19.4k
W44: 18.6k
W45: 27.5k
W46: 25.7k
W47: 33.2k
W48: 133.6k
W49: 89.4k
W50: 106.5k
W51: 147.7k
W52: 160.5k

W27-W37 —> [3DS - 372k] vs [NSW - 776k]

1257k — 3DS Year 5 H2
2190k — 3DS Year 5 Total

(Switch comparison will be added later, but with 60k minimum so far in H2, you can see the difference)

What happened with the Switch Y5 vs 3DS Y5-7 comparison that you were doing before? I always found that to be very interesting.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Chris is officially done with ResetERA. He's not coming back.

That's it folks.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to thank Chris and all the other people for their deep analysis and commentary on sales data over the past years. It feels like yesterday as they all moved here from neogaf. I really enjoyed the discussions.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Chris is officially done with ResetERA.

That's it folks.

As someone who doesn't post much at all in Media Create threads, Chris' contributions to Sales ERA and before it were legendary. He will be missed immensely. Thank you, Chris, for all you did and put up with here.

I also give thanks to the trolls who caused this, and to the staff who still probably won't learn anything from this moment and yet another fractured community they helped dismantle through a failed response (though this isn't at all to compare communities who have left and who will leave in the future). I certainly have learned something, though. ERA is not what I thought it was... And that freaking sucks.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Such a cluster F of a way for these threads to die. Completely ridiculous handling of this whole situation. Thanks for all the work you've done with these threads.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
and it dies with a whimper

RIP Sales Era

I'll be honest- I'm not planning on completely leaving out of protest or anything, but like, if the community leaves here..not really much for me to contribute on ya know?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Chris gone on the Japan side, Lelouch stepping down on the NPD side, Bruno MB permabanned on the PAL side. Other regulars like Mazi gone . . . RIP Sales era.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Chris is officially done with ResetERA. He's not coming back.

That's it folks.
Yeah media create sales community is dead then. Won't be the same without him and no one can replace his analysis, expertise, or insight. This is a tremendous loss for the entire site.

Thank you for everything Chris. You were stellar.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally of the opinion that no one should make a follow up thread on this Media Create. I suspect most of the regulars won't make a thread either.

What would even be the point. Let the actions of the trolls and moderation reap what they sow, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.