Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question how much cash does koei tecmo have, I'm looking through their ips and there pretty bad compared to every other big Japanese publisher.
Do they make crazy money from mobile or something?

They are smaller than the other publishers and do a lot of contract work. They make games for Nintendo, Square Enix and Bandai Namco as well as their self published titles.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, Splatoon can become a one-generation franchise, as Mario Kart and Smash. The game will sell over time and a Splatoon 3 doesn't make much sense looking at how contents are released. There are two things Nintendo will do, in my opinion: start releasing actual paid contents (and then releasing a deluxe edition later on); and creating some spin-off using Splatoon characters, for example an RPG.

A Spin Off will happen though I expect it to be an Adventure or Sports game.

Surprised that BOTW total sales are this low considering how strongly it started at launch in Japan. Even if it is still doing really well for this market I feel it should be doing better.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know shit, don't use RestEra to spread your falsehood like you're used to do on a regular basis on your twitter account, it doesn't work as easily here. If you're willing to bet on your credibility here, know that it isn't without consequences if (when) it doesn't happen.
I actually know quite a lot and I have said as much on twitter regarding this rumored exclusive. You seem to have a lot of misplaced anger.

I never said it was fact but that is something that I was told. You can take it or leave it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I assume Koei Tecmo is like Platinum where they just keep pumping out games efficiently and cheaply, doesn't set the world on fire, and yet they still continue making tons of games

Yes, I have the impression that they pretty good ROI from their Musou games. It seems like they've established an efficient production process to develop such games so they can pump out one after the other one. Also, remember that they develop a lot of portings/deluxe editions which of course have really low costs. Sustainability of such strategy is yet to prove, though. It's been quite a few years that they don't reach high sales from their Musou games.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Surprised that BOTW total sales are this low considering how strongly it started at launch in Japan. Even if it is still doing really well for this market I feel it should be doing better.
Strongly? Didn't it only sell like 150k or something? Also don't forget that there's a Wii U version and digital. Zelda's total sales are probably like 700-800k. That's like 80% sales after launch which is quite impressive

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question how much cash does koei tecmo have, I'm looking through their ips and there pretty bad compared to every other big Japanese publisher.
Do they make crazy money from mobile or something?

In terms of total net assets, Koei > Capcom, but Capcom has significantly higher (6 times) more cash on hand than Koei.

Both are significantly smaller in total assets than Square Enix, who is in turn smaller than Bamco, Sega Sammy, and Konami.

Neither have mobile hits, the ones with the most mobile hits (Bamco, SE) have far more cash on hand than Koei (upto x30 more) or Capcom (upto x5 more).

According to Nomura Securities, Koei has been know to be a very well run company, conversely Capcom management/operations is said to have "issues".

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Zelda's sales are really good it's like metroid much more popular outside Japan

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually know quite a lot and I have said as much on twitter regarding this rumored exclusive. You seem to have a lot of misplaced anger.

I never said it was fact but that is something that I was told. You can take it or leave it.

Yeah sure. I'm just warning you for your own good, take it just as an advice and think twice before "leaking" something here.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of total net assets, Koei > Capcom, but Capcom has significantly higher (6 times) more cash on hand than Koei.

Both are significantly smaller in total assets than Square Enix, who is in turn smaller than Bamco, Sega Sammy, and Konami.

Neither have mobile hits, the ones with the most mobile hits (Bamco, SE) have far more cash on hand than Koei (upto x30 more) or Capcom (upto x5 more).

According to Nomura Securities, Koei has been know to be a very well run company, conversely Capcom management/operations is said to have "issues".
Didn't know square was smaller than konami and sega

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Zelda was litterally the primary reason to buy the system at launch even in Japan. If you were to buy a switch in launch week chances are you would get Zelda as more and more heavy hitters arrived it stopped being the default purchase. It's big series-ish but not that big in Japan.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Strongly? Didn't it only sell like 150k or something? Also don't forget that there's a Wii U version and digital. Zelda's total sales are probably like 700-800k. That's like 80% sales after launch which is quite impressive

I'm forgetting about the digital angle. This would make up the difference.

It obviously should be a Fatal Frame game though as one person said it's not a major franchise.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure. I'm just warning you for your own good, take it just as an advice and think twice before "leaking" something here.
I am not leaking anything, just a rumor I heard. When you are followed on twitter by just about every EIC of every major gaming site, you tend to hear things through the grapevine. As I said, you can take it or leave it. Given the conversation was around Koei, it was relevant.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 46, 2017 (Nov 13 - Nov 19)

new releases

{2017.11.14}
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II (1)(Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II (2)(PlayStation 4 Pro Star Wars: Battlefront II Limited Edition) <BUN> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥49.980)
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)
[PS4] The Sims 4 (Deluxe Party Edition) <ETC> (Electronic Arts) (¥5.800)
[XB1] Star Wars: Battlefront II (Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)
[XB1] Star Wars: Battlefront II (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| (Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.800)

{2017.11.16}
[3DS] Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisechi: Ninki no Omise Atsume Maseta <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.300)
[3DS] Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisechi: Ninki no Omise Atsume Maseta (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.300)
[PSV] VA-11 Hall-A <SLG> (Active Gaming Media) (¥3.000)
[PSV] VA-11 Hall-A (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Active Gaming Media) (¥1.852)
[3DS] PriPri Chi-chan!! PriPri DecoRoom! <ADV> (Konami) (¥4.980)
[3DS] PriPri Chi-chan!! PriPri DecoRoom! (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Konami) (¥4.980)
[NSW] Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.800)
[NSW] Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.800)
[NSW] Rime _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Grey Box) (¥3.500)
[NSW] Lumo _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Rising Star Games) (¥1.388)
[NSW] Teslagrad _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Flyhigh Works) (¥1.388)
[NSW] Antiquia Lost _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥925)
[PS4] Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.800)
[PS4] Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.800)
[PS4] WRC 7 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.980)
[PS4] WRC 7 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.980)
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.800)
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.800)

{2017.11.17}
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS LL Monster Ball Edition <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥15.980)
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS LL Pikachu Edition - Pokemon Center Original <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥15.980)
[3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥4.980)
[3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥4.980)
[3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon Veteran Trainer's Dual Pack {Pokemon Ultra Sun \ Pokemon Ultra Moon} <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥9.960)
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[PS4] The Sims 4 # <ETC> (Electronic Arts) (¥4.800)
[PS4] The Sims 4 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Electronic Arts) (¥4.800)
[XB1] Star Wars: Battlefront II # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[XB1] Star Wars: Battlefront II (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.800)
[XB1] The Sims 4 _Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Electronic Arts) (¥4.800)
___

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon # < 1100k (average 950k)
02. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II < 65k (average 55k)
03. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey < 55k (average 45k)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DQXI will be bigger than FFXV and Pokémon (Ultra) Sun/Moon combined. Famitsu man redeemed!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon USUM feel like the MonHun XX of Pokemon games. They weren't asked for or needed but came anyway in order to fit the yearly game schedule. At the same time, that yearly schedule may come to an end for both of them due to the nature of the HD beast. Finding another way to retain players in thrf changing market will be paramount now.

I do think that persistent multiplayer is a very viable avenue for both IPs. MonHun already got co-op, so adding larger social areas would do the series some good in lue of modern expectations. Pokemon, being a social game, could really use persistence. It's model was definitely made for it, albeit in real life. Moving that online is the next step; though, as always, Game Freak begets lowered expectations

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon USUM feel like the MonHun XX of Pokemon games. They weren't asked for or needed but came anyway in order to fit the yearly game schedule. At the same time, that yearly schedule may come to an end for both of them due to the nature of the HD beast. Finding another way to retain players in thrf changing market will be paramount now.

I do think that persistent multiplayer is a very viable avenue for both IPs. MonHun already got co-op, so adding larger social areas would do the series some good in lue of modern expectations. Pokemon, being a social game, could really use persistence. It's model was definitely made for it, albeit in real life. Moving that online is the next step; though, as always, Game Freak begets lowered expectations
Never thought about the title that way, but it oddly fits.
I would honestly kill for a co-op campaign in Pokemon, but aside from building it around double-battle format it's kind of hard to envision how they could make that work.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Pokebomb Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
The whole totally ignoring the fact the switch has no backwards compatibilty and making only a 3DS sku never made much sense to me. Alas.

If USUM really does underperform that much we can only be glad that the switch was a successful. The president of the pokemon company would be lobbying at this very moment for a smartphone only sequel.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If these numbers happen Ultra Sun 2/Ultra Moon 2 will perform like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and not like Black 2 / White 2. Not anything amazing but it could be worse.

Western sales will be more interesting since 3DS is losing mindshare faster than Japan.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
That seems in line with the typical third version Pokemon games. Seems like good sales to me. I was under the impression that B/W2 were actually sequels, so this should be lower than new games.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Those USUM numbers don't seem that bad. Comparing to B2W2 is not very useful, as Sun/Moon didn't perform nearly as well as Black/White did, so expecting its re-release to do similar to B/W's release is not a reasonable comparison imo.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
If these numbers happen Ultra Sun 2/Ultra Moon 2 will perform like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and not like Black 2 / White 2. Not anything amazing but it could be worse.

Western sales will be more interesting since 3DS is losing mindshare faster than Japan.

Indeed. US/UM are more expansions than a true sequel so those numbers make sense. Also show how huge DS was back then.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought about the title that way, but it oddly fits.
I would honestly kill for a co-op campaign in Pokemon, but aside from building it around double-battle format it's kind of hard to envision how they could make that work.

They can make a full-fledged system of side quests with some of them pushing you to team up with a friend against a very powerful Pokemon ( they opened that door with the Totem imo) or trainer.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole totally ignoring the fact the switch has no backwards compatibilty and making only a 3DS sku never made much sense to me. Alas.

If USUM really does underperform that much we can only be glad that the switch was a successful. The president of the pokemon company would be lobbying at this very moment for a smartphone only sequel.

I think a real Pokemon game (as in the handheld entries) will eventually come to mobile despite Switch's performance.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Around 1m for US/UM launch is better than expected for me. Also that would mark a really nice 4th week for SMO.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
USUM numbers pretty much tell me that you can't infinitely shit out pokemon and think that you wont cause any fatigue. Which is to say, those numbers are not shocking.

Nintendo and Pokemon company have been going hard on pokemon releases. I guess they wanna milk the 3DS dry given I dont think they can keep pace release wise on Switch.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017

If Pokemon Co. was independent from Nintendo maybe.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
USUM numbers pretty much tell me that you can't infinitely shit out pokemon and think that you wont cause any fatigue. Which is to say, those numbers are not shocking.

Nintendo and Pokemon company have been going hard on pokemon releases. I guess they wanna milk the 3DS dry given I dont think they can keep pace release wise on Switch.

Can I ask what people were expecting ? The drop was way more important with Crystal, Emerald and Platinum. It could outsell Dragon Quest by the end of the year. The 3DS has shown they cannot support those big multi-million franchises like before.

Status
Not open for further replies.