• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doragon

Oct 27, 2017
That's the third worst second week for a mainline Pokémon game in Japan ever. Only Emerald and Yellow had it worse. Not looking good for Let's Go's legs...

1.5 million in the US after black friday is bad news too. Is this the limit of LGPE formula...?

Emerald eventually surpassed 2 million in Japan, very close to other third versions, so LGPE still has a chance of surpassing Crystal's 1.8 million in the region. Yellow surpassed 2 million eventually, too. However, previous remakes were 3.0, 3.9 and 3.2 million. I actually see LGPE doing less than Crystal at this point, but that's just me following my gut feeling.

Either way, they are locked million sellers. Good news for hardware, and good news for interest in the next mainline installment.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
05./03. [NSW] Super Mario Party # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.10.05} (¥5.980) - 24.450 / 370.077 (+17%)
07./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 11.714 / 1.847.777 (+26%)
13./13. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 5.309 / 1.850.991 (+33%)

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Pokemon Drop seems to be on par with previous entries.
5bae52d952.png

That's the third worst second week for a mainline Pokémon game in Japan ever. Only Emerald and Yellow had it worse. Not looking good for Let's Go's legs...

1.5 million in the US after black friday is bad news too. Is this the limit of LGPE formula...?

Emerald eventually surpassed 2 million in Japan, very close to other third versions, so LGPE still has a chance of surpassing Crystal's 1.8 million in the region. Yellow surpassed 2 million eventually, too. However, previous remakes were 3.0, 3.9 and 3.2 million. I actually see LGPE doing less than Crystal at this point, but that's just me following my gut feeling.

Either way, they are locked million sellers. Good news for hardware, and good news for interest in the next mainline installment.
people trying to compare LG to main like titles or full remakes to make it seem like a flop is getting tiresome

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was really hoping for stronger Pokémon and switch hw.

But, those evergreens, are incredible.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Big increase for evergreens.
Hoped switch would hold on a bit better but still above 100k.
Not sure if next week will be lower or if pre release smash excitement will make it hold on

Looks like pokemon will breach 1M on smash week. Also looks like switch will dip below 100k next week before Smash
Switch will be down YoY next week.

No, Next week Switch will increase.
It's holiday season, Smash previous week and Minecraft bundles releasing.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Good to see BFV do so well. It's a landmark moment when it outsells the UK version. Good ps4 hardware too.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW was always going to do more lifetime than LGPE. I don't know how that was even a question. In Japan tho... maybe Let's Go? Would be strange to see a Zelda title beating a Pokémon one there.

people trying to compare LG to main like titles or full remakes to make it seem like a flop is getting tiresome
No one is trying to do anything. After last week numbers people started saying "it will have better legs than usual" and it simply isn't at all.

The numbers are what they're. I think performance overall will be decent to what it is, but it's a fact that they called it a mainline title.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I'm done done with YSO for now. 150k for BFV and <150k for Pokemon unsurprisingly were off again.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon sales are going to be interesting to observe these next couple of weeks, I can't think of a previous title in the series that would be having its associated hardware sales buoyed by a bigger title. Pokémon should see an increase from that alone.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Good hold for Pokemon, million seller at retail very soon
Not so sure about Switch HW, even if last week and incoming bundles obviously shifted sales away from this week
Great software sales for switch games in general

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
At this rate I don't think let's go will outsell USUM in japan :/

That was always a possibility, 2.5M is a high bar to reach and a ~650k opening might not be bigh enough to reach that

Incluing those digital numbers estimated by Famitsu, Call of Duty : Black Ops 4 stands at 584,503 and is now the best selling Call of Duty in Japan..

No not yet, Black Ops II is at 610k with the 360 SKU and you can't exclude its digital sales which, while they aren't known, do exist. It's fair to say that BoII is probably >650K everything included.
We could also argue that between subbed and dubbed editions there might have been double dippers too, but yeah it's not a straightforward number to guess (CoD best selling game number)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

While I am disappointed but the WoW drop for LG in Japan, 1.5m in the US in 10 days is a great performance. With the days remaining, it could beat X/Y US launch (1.7m).

Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2013/11/14/nintendo-clocks-highest-us-sales-score-in-october.html

With the huge December that is coming for the Switch, it'll have a great performance in the US.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I think BOTW may hit 20M lifetime unless they release a new Zelda sooner than expected. It's a title people pick up when they get a Switch. I can't see any single Pokémon game doing that much.
20m for BOTW is fair, if slightly optimistic imo. But I think it would be fair to assume that a proper, new generation, mainline Pokémon game will sell better than BOTW - they were selling 16m on 3ds, and not only does switch software put 3ds software to shame so far, but I think it's relatively safe to say that switch will eventually sell more than 3ds worldwide.

I know you have worries about the quality of gen 8 (as do I), but I think sales wise there's no way it doesn't at least reach like 18 million imo

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only one that managed to chart. Will have to wait for Famitsu for the other two.
Best show gets the best number. Fair.

Anyway, last Precure release did this:
[3DS] Happiness Charge PreCure! Kawa-Run Collection (Bandai Namco, 07/31/14) – 6,712

Guess it's okayish? I somewhat expected an even bigger drop considering how non-acessible the Switch's price currently is to kids, even more for a title aimed at girls.

20m for BOTW is fair, if slightly optimistic imo. But I think it would be fair to assume that a proper, new generation, mainline Pokémon game will sell better than BOTW - they were selling 16m on 3ds, and not only does switch software put 3ds software to shame so far, but I think it's relatively safe to say that switch will eventually sell more than 3ds worldwide.

I know you have worries about the quality of gen 8 (as do I), but I think sales wise there's no way it doesn't at least reach like 18 million imo
It's not a quality concern, it's just that it's hard to imagine a Pokémon game doing over 20M that easily when new games will keep coming out. Zelda has more time to sell.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Japan remains a question for how high Let's Go will end this quarter. Right now it looks it's heading for a 8-9m shipment.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
It's not a quality concern, it's just that it's hard to imagine a Pokémon game doing over 20M that easily when new games will keep coming out. Zelda has more time to sell.
I think - with the exception of the let's go series - gaps between generations will be larger on switch. More difficult to develop for sure, and we know that at least gen 8 will have 'better graphics' and more ambition than let's go.

Plus, isn't there being a strong rumour that a new mainline Zelda is coming 'sooner than we think?'

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing hold for Switch, its ltd sales are barely better than last year's. Smash will have to sell lots of switches to get closer to the target if it's in a similar position in the west.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Only one that managed to chart. Will have to wait for Famitsu for the other two.
Glad it charted. Maybe on sale from me helped ^_^

Bamco now please bring over Aikatsu.
Best show gets the best number. Fair.

Anyway, last Precure release did this:
[3DS] Happiness Charge PreCure! Kawa-Run Collection (Bandai Namco, 07/31/14) – 6,712

Guess it's okayish? I somewhat expected an even bigger drop considering how non-acessible the Switch's price currently is to kids, even more for a title aimed at girls.
Forgot that this was the first precure video game release in a while lol

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
As I said before release, Let's Go was the most interesting sales result of the year. It's crazy that it's performing pretty much the opposite what I and a lot of others expected. It's doing pretty mediocre in Japan for a Pokemon game and seems to be doing very well in the U.S. even if not on par with something like SuMo, which was never gonna happen at this stage anyway

Also, we've hit the holiday season and Labor is nowhere to be seen. It's dead, Jim

neroxyr

Nov 14, 2018
mcsales.png

This week Switch had a 92k drop from last week and 36k drop from last years' week. However, PS4 saw an increase of 6k compare to last week and a decrease from last years' with 2k. Both consoles mantain their baselines @t 39696 and 17596 respectively.

Seems to be that the shortage last week wasn't a rumour after all. Next week numbers should be up

Top 10 weeks of 2018 for NS

# W Sales
1 46 200800
2 1 146006
3 47 108375
4 33 54647
5 11 54342
6 45 54235
7 29 53745
8 18 53113
9 31 50799
10 26 50762
This week marks the 3rd best week of the year and the third week in a arrow to be in the Top 10. As it may be usual, next weeks should easily take the top 10 spot

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Party is going for big things next week. With Joy-Con bundle releasing and Switch hardware increasing it could see a 100% rise.

doragon

Oct 27, 2017
While I am disappointed but the WoW drop for LG in Japan, 1.5m in the US in 10 days is a great performance. With the days remaining, it could beat X/Y US launch (1.7m).

Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2013/11/14/nintendo-clocks-highest-us-sales-score-in-october.html

With the huge December that is coming for the Switch, it'll have a great performance in the US.
Absolutely! Super Mario Party is at 1 million in the US since october, so doing 1.5 in less than two weeks is excellent. What concerns me is the "coldness" of that number compared to other mainline entries, specially after black friday...

5bae52d952.png

LGPE are mainline Pokémon games.

And, "full" remakes... Although the definition of "full" may vary in this context, because the previous remake, ORAS, already cut numerous features of the original games. Shaking up the formula doesn't make them a spinoff.

Also, if you go beyond XY, second and third week sales of mainline Pokémon games in Japan are much higher. HGSS was 492K at week 2, FRLG was 286K. Platinum 319K. But install base was much higher for them, though. The first four weeks is what seals the deal for LGPE.

Last edited:

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Super Mario Party is going for big things next week. With Joy-Con bundle releasing and Switch hardware increasing it could see a 100% rise.

Damn it, forgot about that bundle again. So yeah, 400k next week guaranteed. I'd say even 500k this year is guaranteed. Depending on how big bundle increase is (and whether it's limited), we could even look at 600k this year alone.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely! Super Mario Party is at 1 million in the US since october, so doing 1.5 in less than two weeks is excellent. What concerns me is the "coldness" of that number compared to other mainline entries, specially after black friday...

LGPE are mainline Pokémon games.

And, "full" remakes... Although the definition of "full" may vary in this context, because the previous remake, ORAS, already cut numerous features of the original games. Shaking up the formula doesn't make them a spinoff.

Also, if you go beyond XY, second and third week sales of mainline Pokémon games in Japan are much higher. HGSS was 492K at week 2, FRLG was 286K. Platinum 319K. But install base was much higher for them, though. The first four weeks is what seals the deal for LGPE.

Sorry I don't totally understand.

First we agree that the US numbers are good right ?

Regarding Japan, I said I was disappointed by the WoW but I don't understand the talk about BF since it didn't exist this year. Was it in relation to the US ?

doragon

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I don't totally understand.

First we agree that the US numbers are good right ?

Regarding Japan, I said I was disappointed by the WoW but I don't understand the talk about BF since it didn't exist this year. Was it in relation to the US ?
Yes, in relation to the US only. LGPE is one of the 6 Switch games that surpassed 1 million in the US, nothing wrong with that.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
16./14. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} (¥4.980) - 4.169 / 1.764.472 (+19%)

Damn, really wasn't expecting this one to hang out for as long as it has. Since launch, it's missed the Top 20 just one, lone week.

17./16. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} (¥5.980) - 3.996 / 646.201 (+35%)

Looks like HAL Laboratory timed that big update well (it's out this Friday). Early holiday boost + update to generate interest/discussion around the game and boost the holiday boost.

That fw week number shows how switch audience for casual game is still much smaller vs 3ds there. A price drop next year with Animal Crossing will help tons of casual title.

Yup, but publishers do have to start somewhere or audience is never going to come, expensive console and games or not

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

% wise it had the best drop since X/Y, but Let's Go is clustered pretty close with all of the 3DS games. It also should do better than Emerald, Crystal, and Yellow taking into account the time of year it is launching with increased holiday sales around the corner and because digital sales are now a thing.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Incluing those digital numbers estimated by Famitsu, Call of Duty : Black Ops 4 stands at 584,503 and is now the best selling Call of Duty in Japan.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has 247,238 digital and retail combined.

And that is 100% attributed to the Battle Royale Mode.
PUGB was huge in Japan, but with nearly 0 Xbox presence, this is the first realistic BR game for console players.
Fortnite is also not as big in the East as it is in the West.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay second week for Pokemon.
Decent opening for battlefield.
Evergreens doing well.

Not a bad decline for switch hardware, and ps4 hardware up. Average week overall.