• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade was allowed to have games on Modern Nintendo consoles as well. It got the natural progression of Wii -> WiiU -> Switch and they were allowed to make decent mid budget games despite the sales being nothing notable until XC2.

Metroid has not had a game on a modern HD system yet. Despite people dogging Metroid sales, many entiries in the series still had easily outsold Monoliths output in totality until XC2. There is nothing particularly crazy Metroid Prime 4 being given an opportunity in the HD console era. It's not about being a 90+ metacritic series.

The potential for Metroid to sell more than 2m units is there just by nature of releasing in the modern era.
yea, xenoblade has been able to get opportunities in HD era Nintendo.
I wasn't comparing xeno to Metroid in that respect. I was responding to the poster making a general sales to attention comparison among those few franchises.

I don't think being a critically acclaimed franchises is the reason Metroid is a Nintendo stalwart. But I brought it up because I think it does play a factor, along with other things. If Metroid was mediocre selling and had no fan fervor or a high critical status, things may be different

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To what extent though? The only HD game Retro got to make was Tropical Freeze and it still outsold XCX. Everything else they made Metroid wise are we suppose to assume was drastically higher budget than XC or XCX? Doesn't feel like it would be. There isn't any reason to assume and 3DS Metroid was more expensive than any Xenoblade game.

I just don't find it odd Metroid gets a bigger budget than some of these other franchises. It sells better and has a higher ceiling so naturally it gets more budget.
Don't know why anyone would assume a 3ds game would be more expensive than a wii u and switch game.

There's no way to know what these budgets are. But one series gets sequels, the other is lucky to even get acknowledgement. If it ain't budget that's the reason, there's something else important at play.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
yea, xenoblade has been able to get opportunities in HD era Nintendo.
I wasn't comparing xeno to Metroid in that respect. I was responding to the poster making a general sales to attention comparison among those few franchises.

I don't think being a critically acclaimed franchises is the reason Metroid is a Nintendo stalwart. But I brought it up because I think it does play a factor, along with other things. If Metroid was mediocre selling and had no fan fervor or a high critical status, things may be different

I suppose the quality gets fans asking for new games which keeps it in view. Though its not like the Metroid Prime games didn't do well enough to make money either. They are all million sellers. I feel you though.

Don't know why anyone would assume a 3ds game would be more expensive than a wii u and switch game.

There's no way to know what these budgets are. But one series gets sequels, the other is lucky to even get acknowledgement. If it ain't budget that's the reason, there's something else important at play.

Well

1) Critical acclaim. Xenoblade Chronicles critical acclaim and cult classic probably made them want to get it another shot.

2) One is a series that started in 2010 and the other started in 1986 lol. No Metroid game was more expensive than any Xenoblade game while still selling basically as much at the high end.

Maybe they felt they had better avenues of profit than making Metroid but in that exact same notion that applies to Xenoblade too.

So I imagine there is other things at play.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of issues with ff7, but the game was very good.

first FF I'd been interested in in over a decade...dang.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
imagine beating xenoblade 2, watchin the credits and still thinking that's not a big budget game. just imagine. all those people must have worked for free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 had so big budget and expectations that Takahashi was surprised from its sales when it became million seller.

At least we didn't read again that Monster Hunter World was cheaper than Xenoblade 2.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
imagine beating xenoblade 2, watchin the credits and still thinking that's not big budget game. just imagine. all those people must have worked for free.
what does big mean.
Among JRPGS it's on the higher side but still not near the top budgets, since JRPGS aren't high generally.

but among the whole industry...?

Oct 26, 2017
Why have Monolith make a Final Fantasy, when they should finally be able to make a full ground-up remake of Xenogears for Switch/Switch 2? Similar to Baten Kaitos Origins and Bayonetta 2/3, Nintendo and Monolith would treat it as a regular Nintendo title with SE only licensing the IP and offering any consultation (then again, would we want them to? :P).

I feel like there's a masterpiece waiting to happen if Takahashi and Soraya Saga get to fully realize their original vision (to a point as long as it's within a reasonable time and budget this time which they're capable of now).

Same with Xenosaga, but I doubt even Nintendo would want to greenlight a 3-6 game remake of an IP they don't own (but really should, BN ain't doing shit with it and Monolith's at Nintendo). I can see them squeezing two of each game's ideas into one, literally like Xenosaga 1 & 2 DS, but done properly by Takahashi and Saga, since they had little to do with the released Xenosaga 2 and not totally of 3's also?

But most of all I just want Monolith to put their all into a new IP at long last like with Xenoblade 10 years ago. Getting tired of Xenoblade again and again.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Nintendo games in general have fairly small budgets, almost all of them that aren't named "Breath of the Wild" wouldn't be considered AAA compared to the other big publishers.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 surely has a sizeable budget to execute a lot of its contents but I would say it's several notches lower than say a 3D Mario or a 3D Zelda would get. We can see where it cut corners to reduce cost (no AMVs or special cutscenes, everything using in-game graphics, lower manpower, no huge marketing drive, etc) compared to your usual high-profile Square JRPGs. And the budget is probably good enough to consider 2 million sales a huge success for the game.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo games in general have fairly small budgets, almost all of them that aren't named "Breath of the Wild" wouldn't be considered AAA compared to the other big publishers.
I wouldn't be shocked if BOTW had a much smaller budget than other AAA games as well, maybe more comparable to high-end AA games maybe? Nintendo are practically peerless when it comes to budget management.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Takahashi himself doesn't consider Xenoblade big budget but sure, go off

doesnt mean anything. he probably meant that their main team at monolith soft at the time wasn't big. but you just have to watch the final credits if you beated it and see. hundreds and hundreds (like 500-600 if not more) of people worked on it, that can't be possible on a mid budget game. you cant have 15 hours of dubbed cutscenes with that quality animations on a mid budget game unless you are a god or you work for free. its this simple.

I mean, they already did it. the xenoblade serie is basically a modern final fantasy. most of developers at monolith soft are ex square soft employees. not sure why you re laughing at that post.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, they already did it. the xenoblade serie is basically a modern final fantasy. most of developers at monolith soft are ex square soft employees. not sure why you re laughing at that post.
I dunno if I'd say that but on a related note I played FFXII last year and it really surprised me how similar it felt to Xenoblade. It's like a proto-Xenoblade.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
I wouldn't be shocked if BOTW had a much smaller budget than other AAA games as well, maybe more comparable to high-end AA games maybe? Nintendo are practically peerless when it comes to budget management.
I would definitely classify Botw as an AAA
Including marketing SMash Bros ultimate is up there as well.
at this point Metroid Prime 4 may as well be considered AAA budget wise as it's basically the budget of two HD AA games combined.

is there anythng else nintendo made that could be considered AAA?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
doesnt mean anything. he probably meant that their main team at monolith soft at the time wasn't big. but you just have to watch the final credits if you beated it and see. hundreds and hundreds (like 500-600 if not more) of people worked on it, that can't be possible on a mid budget game. you cant have 15 hours of dubbed cutscenes with that quality animations on a mid budget game unless you are a god or you work for free. its this simple.

The grand majority of xenoblade 2's cutscenes dont have high quality animations at all, infact they use techniques alot of mid-budget jrpgs do which is stand around in a circle alot and have good use of pre-canned animations.
Xenoblade certainly has a higher than average mid budget jrpg to have that much voice acting but Nintendo also tends to opt for cheaper voice acting, which is why xenoblade has a ton of unknown or new VAs which thankfully the fans tend to latch on to and want to succeed like Skye Bennett and Adam Howden

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
That is probably true, usually FF's recent solution is to just skip to the next thing and hope no one tries to make any sense of the previous scene.
Indeed. Which is indefinitely better than running for the umpteenth rng shingy object for a townsperson.
Xenoblade games have merits. But they are nothing like FF's in good and in bad. And the bad outweigh the good by a lot.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Why have Monolith make a Final Fantasy, when they should finally be able to make a full ground-up remake of Xenogears for Switch/Switch 2? Similar to Baten Kaitos Origins and Bayonetta 2/3, Nintendo and Monolith would treat it as a regular Nintendo title with SE only licensing the IP and offering any consultation (then again, would we want them to? :P).

I feel like there's a masterpiece waiting to happen if Takahashi and Soraya Saga get to fully realize their original vision (to a point as long as it's within a reasonable time and budget this time which they're capable of now).

Same with Xenosaga, but I doubt even Nintendo would want to greenlight a 3-6 game remake of an IP they don't own (but really should, BN ain't doing shit with it and Monolith's at Nintendo). I can see them squeezing two of each game's ideas into one, literally like Xenosaga 1 & 2 DS, but done properly by Takahashi and Saga, since they had little to do with the released Xenosaga 2 and not totally of 3's also?

But most of all I just want Monolith to put their all into a new IP at long last like with Xenoblade 10 years ago. Getting tired of Xenoblade again and again.

For Xenosaga? There's no need to remake all three episodes. Just combine all three episodes & remake them into one large game using Episode III's gameplay.

Oct 26, 2017
For Xenosaga? There's no need to remake all three episodes. Just combine all three episodes & remake them into one large game using Episode III's gameplay.
Yeah if Takahashi and Saga feel they can compress all three into a single game while getting the story they wanted to tell as faithfully intact as possible, then sure! But they wanted the series to be six episodes. Who knows how they can redo that concept if given the chance.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A series arguably needs developer interest to succeed more than sales numbers. If we look at most if not all successful series, what they have in common is having their own dedicated development teams. This ensures consistent releases which helps building an audience which eventually leads to consistent sales numbers.

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are the perfect examples, they both did only okay numbers at first but the perseverance of their developers made them find their audiences and now both are consistent million sellers.

This is Metroid's biggest problem. Once both R&D1 and Retro moved on to other series it entered limbo and has not found a solid footing since. Another example is Donkey Kong which went into limbo once Rare was sold and only got decent sales when Retro picked it up, and now looks to be back in limbo again. It's a catch-22 situation: a series won't get a dedicated developer if it keeps doing poorly, and it won't do well if it doesn't get consistent releases.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

There's no point in revisiting them when Takahashi can just do a reimagining of the same stories and change a few things to avoid copyright issues. He pretty much did that with Xenoblade 2.

Those IPs have been dormant for so long there's no tangible benefit in using them. They may still get new merchandise every now and then but that appeals to only the most dedicated of fans.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Indeed. Which is indefinitely better than running for the umpteenth rng shingy object for a townsperson.
Xenoblade games have merits. But they are nothing like FF's in good and in bad. And the bad outweigh the good by a lot.
tenor.gif

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Another example is Donkey Kong which went into limbo once Rare was sold and only got decent sales when Retro picked it up, and now looks to be back in limbo again. It's a catch-22 situation: a series won't get a dedicated developer if it keeps doing poorly, and it won't do well if it doesn't get consistent releases.
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii, 6.53M) was the second best-selling entry in the franchise, though, only behind the SNES Donkey Kong Country (9.3M). The WiiU game did 2.01M despite being a WiiU game, and the Switch straight port (at higher price lol) is closing in on 3M. DK seems to be performing rather well still in my estimation. But yeah, developer enthusiasm definitely is lacking, which is why the Switch hasn't gotten a proper new entry I think. But its sales seem strong enough still.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Since we're doing the Xenoblade vs. FF hot takes, let me drop mine:
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 > Xenoblade Chronicles 1. The combat is just so much better and more interesting. I fully concede that I am judging a 10 year old game based on 2020 standards, which is always tricky because a game can be revolutionary in its time and feel lackluster 10 years later, so take this just as a personal preference.
- Xenoblade Chronicles (2) suffers from terrible side quest design, which is what drags the experience down. And some resource-based barriers really mar the progression in what is otherwise a sublime game.
- XBC stories are much more interesting in scope than the FF games I've played (X and XV).
- I liked XBC2's combat just as well as I did that remarkably polished turn-based battle system in X (XV was fun but not as polished or entertaining as the other two).
- FF really goes above and beyond in the side content department, which gives it a lot over XBC which does a a small number of things really well but neglects to develop the side content properly. The number of hours I've put into Blitzball is staggering.

IMO, XBC needs to improve its design around extra content to move it up the rank of JRPG GOATs, but it's definitely able to compete with FF in many respects, even if the polish on FFX's game design is clearly superior. I'm hopeful that with the blowout success of XBC2, XBC3 will get a bit more budget and manpower (XBC2 was developed by quite a small core team considering the scope of the game) so they can deliver a brilliant experience. Xenoblade has the potential (lore, gameplay quality) to one day rival FF, but it needs more consideration for side content (which help to expand the lore exposition if done really well) and additional polish to the gameplay loop (and GET RID OF THE EFFING RESOURCE BARRIERS). Story-wise, I'm as engrossed (or more engrossed) by the XBC stories.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
(Triple post, but it's breaking news. Sorry!)

750k milestone reached! I guess this is sell-through as well? Though we don't know for sure of course.

Regardless, it's going to hit 1M before the year is over at this pace, great to see! The third best-selling Konami game ever is TwinBee at 1.2M, it'll destroy that one. Second best is a YuGiOH game at 1.5M, and best is another YuGiOh game at 2.1M. It has a chance to beat both of those as well imo.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
So from the leaked number do we know the digital sales number for MHW and Iceborne? The leaked numbers are physical + digital yeah?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
(Triple post, but it's breaking news. Sorry!)

750k milestone reached! I guess this is sell-through as well? Though we don't know for sure of course.

Regardless, it's going to hit 1M before the year is over at this pace, great to see! The third best-selling Konami game ever is TwinBee at 1.2M, it'll destroy that one. Second best is a YuGiOH game at 1.5M, and best is another YuGiOh game at 2.1M. It has a chance to beat both of those as well imo.

This game is selling crazy fast lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from the capcom leak, ww numbers for okami HD

Switch - 600K
PC - 536K
PS3 - 529K
PS4 - 445K
X1 - 121K

edit: the source is a 4chan thread so take this with a grain of salt until someone else confirms. the numbers are accurate.

Last edited:

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Momotaro has been on my radar to be a big hit ever since it got announced. Good thing it's performing really, really well, blowing past its predecessors.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
from the capcom leak, ww numbers for okami HD

Switch - 600K
PC - 536K
PS3 - 529K
PS4 - 445K
X1 - 121K
Those are fantastic numbers for Okami HD. Budget must have been really low. I've seen it coming in and out of the top 30 Swtich digital charts for a long time and I think the game will sell a million copies on Switch alone. It always charts when there's a discount.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo should just "bayonetta 2" a sequel to okami and give it to platinum, since kamiya really wants it to happen as well.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
nintendo should just "bayonetta 2" a sequel to okami and give it to platinum, since kamiya really wants it to happen as well.
That's actually a pretty great idea (assuming a sequel wouldn't happen otherwise). It's also a game that could do really well in sales (well over 1M, perhaps over 2M) and it shouldn't be the most expensive game to make, so there's some ROI opportunity as well I think.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii, 6.53M) was the second best-selling entry in the franchise, though, only behind the SNES Donkey Kong Country (9.3M). The WiiU game did 2.01M despite being a WiiU game, and the Switch straight port (at higher price lol) is closing in on 3M. DK seems to be performing rather well still in my estimation. But yeah, developer enthusiasm definitely is lacking, which is why the Switch hasn't gotten a proper new entry I think. But its sales seem strong enough still.
Its sales are excellent (meant "decent" in the relative sense) but if neither Retro nor EPD are interested in developing another entry DK will enter yet another dark era. Tropical Freeze came out in 2014 and the presence of a simple port on Switch (no disrespect to Funky) suggests that a new game isn't coming out anytime soon.