Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Sony's selling the PS5 for much more than 500 USD in some South American countries, that's what I meant. Expecting to pay a similar price to other countries seems fair doesn't it?

The currency conversion are certainly bs I agree there. PS5 games in the UK for example are wildly more expensive compared to the US and Canada.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Hideki Yasuda has put out a follow up piece about PlayStation 5 shipments:

jp.gamesindustry.biz

【月間総括】ソニーの「日本市場を大事にしています」を検証する

まず,前回の記事は大変な反響をいただいた。それを見る限り,日本のゲームユーザーはソニー(SIE)に対して静かな怒りを抱いている方が一定数いることが分かる。ここ数年,ソニー(SIE)は明らかに米国市場…

I was using google translate.... he does not seem impressed.
Could you imagine this situation if Nintendo didn't bounce back? JP devs would be shitting themselves

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Everyday Today’s MENU for EMIYA Family – Fate Project New Year’s Eve TV Special 2020 gameplay

Aniplex debuted new gameplay footage for Fate/stay night “kitchen adventure” game Everyday Today’s MENU for EMIYA Family during the Fate Project New Year’s Eve TV Special 2020.

Fate cooking game looks surprisingly good

www.gematsu.com

Fate/EXTRA Record ‘Tamamo no Mae’ trailer

TYPE-MOON studio BB debuted a new trailer for Fate/EXTRA remake Fate/EXTRA Record featuring playable Servant Tamamo no Mae during the Fate Project New Year’s Eve TV Special 2020.

Fate/EXTRA Record looks like a Switch game(PS4 was pretty obvious from the outset).

Could you imagine this situation if Nintendo didn't bounce back? JP devs would be shitting themselves

It depends I could easily see this...
They would also be firing on all cylinders to try and help the situation

...being the case. Right now they can afford to bide their time and wait for SE/Bamco/Capcom to build the install base of the PS5 first, but if it came down to it they'd probably be throwing their weight behind the PS5 right now.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Speaking of throwing weight behind the PS5, do we expect Persona 6 to be next-gen only or will Atlus go cross-gen? I suppose the fact that P6 is likely a long way out should help the case of the former, plus there's the possibility of a PC version to follow up on P4G & P5S.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of throwing weight behind the PS5, do we expect Persona 6 to be next-gen only or will Atlus go cross-gen? I suppose the fact that P6 is likely a long way out should help the case of the former, plus there's the possibility of a PC version to follow up on P4G & P5S.
Were it completely up to Atlus it would probably be PS4 only.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Fantasy RPG from the new team will come before Persona 6 but who knows at this point...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that's a PS4/Switch game. 🙃
Atlus:
tenor.gif

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about the same company that would have released a PS3 exclusive in 2016 without Sony's intervention

With P5 persona brand saw huge growth globally though. Maximising userbase with P5 made some sense as the franchise was still very japan heavy. With P6 there is no need for that. I mean maybe P6 will be also on PS4 but circumstances are different compared to P5 launch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Other than new mainline SMT and Persona sequels (both loaded with incentive deals and adult reasons), that's sort of how I expect to see all Atlus releases go from here on out. Catherine FB was getting up to speed, P5 Strikers and SMT3 HD were clearing the way but Re: Fantasy and Etrian Odyssey will really cement it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than new mainline SMT and Persona sequels (both loaded with incentive deals and adult reasons), that's sort of how I expect to see all Atlus releases go from here on out. Catherine FB was getting up to speed, P5 Strikers and SMT3 HD were clearing the way but Re: Fantasy and Etrian Odyssey will really cement it.
I think the only reason P5S exists for Switch is because TK was adamant about it

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think the only reason P5S exists for Switch is because TK was adamant about it
PC maybe but it's clear Atlus was pretty fully onboard the multiplat train starting in 2020. The only games that won't be are the ones Sony or Nintendo pay not to be.

And after P4G Atlus seems pretty up on PC too. I think most of their stuff will hit that too now but for the western launches.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
PC maybe but it's clear Atlus was pretty fully onboard the multiplat train starting in 2020. The only games that won't be are the ones Sony or Nintendo pay not to be.

And after P4G Atlus seems pretty up on PC too. I think most of their stuff will hit that too now but for the western launches.
Especially as both Sony and Nintendo seem to be pretty okay with their third party exclusives releasing on PC later on (well Sony has started to release first party games too). So P5 (and eventual P6) and SMT V being released on PC at some point should be pretty given.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
It's at, what? 110-115M right now sold right? I can see it doing 30 ish million in the next two to four years, leaning more to three years, coupled with being the cheaper option, and the core PS playerbase moves on to the new device. Overtime they'll cheapen it I bet even more to say, 250 or 200 if possible.

I'm thinking 8-9 million the following year, 5-7 million another year, 2 million or so the next year, and as I said when it is all said and done (beyond this time frame years later) it can end up crawling like near its deathbed to 134-139 million. More likely at 134M than 139M imo

In a similar way to how the PS3 edged out over the 360 in sales, barely, by 3 million units or so. Thing was selling into like 2014-2015 in some places!

Edit: looking at it better, 129-132M could be more realistic rather than 134-139M

The math doesn't add up.

If they didnt care they whould have release the console 1 year later.

At this rate, the sale number for PS5 after 3 months on the market would be about the same as PS4 launch week sale number. I thought the purpose to launch before holidays is to get holiday sales and PS5 completely did not take any advantage of that. It might as well launch 3 months late in Japan and would probably get the same result.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
It gets bad on other sites as well. Saw someone on Reddit yesterday leaving multiple comments about how people shouldn't complain about scalpers because 57 million people were currently trying to get a PS5, as in the PS5 should have hit 57 million on launch day if stock was available, and a lot of people there were agreeing with him...
I saw that comment 😂 It was meant to be a conservative estimate, saying what if only half of PS4 buyers want a PS5. Some people can't imagine that less enthusiast players will wait for software, price cuts, revisions, a bonus, a birthday, whatever it may be. It warps their understanding of demand.
Are you telling me I have to wait intill next year for this years numbers???
Even longer to answer the 6m question, because weeks 52 and 1 will be combined at first too.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 53 doesn't look to have slowed down comparing to 52, so far. Weekend will determine everything since its otoshidama period.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Especially as both Sony and Nintendo seem to be pretty okay with their third party exclusives releasing on PC later on (well Sony has started to release first party games too). So P5 (and eventual P6) and SMT V being released on PC at some point should be pretty given.
Yeah, I agree with that although they still seem to want a window in some cases. P5R PC seems like the next obvious chip to fall.

My biggest question is more on missing legacy ports, like if we'll still see P4G on PS4/Switch or all the Vanillaware games on PC/Switch?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
it's kinda bad market for service games on consoles though (especially for the content PS receives). it's not like Switch has big service games either. Seems to be fairly mobile only thing for Japan.
Might be time to put more Gacha games on consoles then!
I do wonder how Genshin Impact is doing on that part though.
no, but some people want him banned because he wrote a few articles they didn't like. ridiculous, i know.
Shooting the messager, this is pitiful.
If one can't handle the truth, they might be a little too much invested.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Even for f2p, games like PSO2, Ninjala, Fortnite and Genshin Impact all seem pretty huge on console in Japan.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
it's kinda bad market for service games on consoles though (especially for the content PS receives). it's not like Switch has big service games either. Seems to be fairly mobile only thing for Japan.
A question here is whether that is due to the big service games being unappealing in Japan, and therefore there not being a big audience from which to profit, or whether it is due to the Japanese console audience inherently being less willing to spend more on service games. The big service games are EA, Activision and Ubisoft games, all of which are (and always have been) quite a bit less popular compared to ROTW.

In other words, is it because Japanese gamers on consoles reject service games, or is it because no one has made a big service game that is bound to catch on?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree with that although they still seem to want a window in some cases. P5R PC seems like the next obvious chip to fall.

My biggest question is more on missing legacy ports, like if we'll still see P4G on PS4/Switch or all the Vanillaware games on PC/Switch?

Yeah. No PS4 port for P4G was pretty weird to me. Obviously Switch too but with that it depends on does Atlus indeed have some deals with Sony regarding of Persona games.

A question here is whether that is due to the big service games being unappealing in Japan, and therefore there not being a big audience from which to profit, or whether it is due to the Japanese console audience inherently being less willing to spend more on service games. The big service games are EA, Activision and Ubisoft games, all of which are (and always have been) quite a bit less popular compared to ROTW.

In other words, is it because Japanese gamers on consoles reject service games, or is it because no one has made a big service game that is bound to catch on?

Oh yeah. Like was correctly pointed out it's not like japanese consumesr avoid service games (as they are huge on mobile and with selected console games too) but when it comes to PS it's easy to see how on average Japanese PS owners probably earn far less money for Sony than western consumers. They buy less sw overall on average and ''wrong'' sw.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually didnt think genshin impact would take this long coming to switch, I figured it was right behind the PS4 version, I wonder how long they can wait until interest dies down

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh yeah. Like was correctly pointed out it's not like japanese consumesr avoid service games (as they are huge on mobile and with selected console games too) but when it comes to PS it's easy to see how on average Japanese PS owners probably earn far less money for Sony than western consumers. They buy less sw overall on average and ''wrong'' sw.
Ah fair enough. I agree with you on that.

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
Ironic the company that ignores Brazil the most is Nintendo. They barely advertise their products, no language localization and no physical oficial release.

Nintendo was more present here during the 90s we even had an official magazine. It wqs not as good as Sega, but they used to be very strong here. It's a pity and to their loss, to be honest. I grew playing Nintendo games, the same can't be said about my nephew. All he wants is an Xbox. And he's 7.

So Nintendo actually had more of a presence in Brazil during Wii U era? I know they had slip covers for most of their first party games there (with some exceptions, but it seemed to stop after Rio Olympics). These were of course printed in the US, but have the Brazil rating symbol and in assume Brazilian Portuguese.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
no, but some people want him banned because he wrote a few articles they didn't like. ridiculous, i know.
If people like Patcher are still here with his years and years of BS predictions that always happens the exact opposite he says, I doubt we should ban anyone else for an article with some inaccuracies, TBF lol.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people like Patcher are still here with his years and years of BS predictions that always happens the exact opposite he says, I doubt we should ban anyone else for an article with some inaccuracies, TBF lol.
agreed, and it's not like the mods are gonna do it. still crazy that some people actually suggested that, imo.

Jan 20, 2019
At this rate, the sale number for PS5 after 3 months on the market would be about the same as PS4 launch week sale number. I thought the purpose to launch before holidays is to get holiday sales and PS5 completely did not take any advantage of that. It might as well launch 3 months late in Japan and would probably get the same result.

Japan launch and like many other countrys even in Europe got paper launch, the main goal was to pass a message of global release while the focus was on the big markets were Xbox is competing, every other market will get enough stock by spring and that most likely will incluid Japan, it is a shame but it is what it is.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
So Nintendo actually had more of a presence in Brazil during Wii U era? I know they had slip covers for most of their first party games there (with some exceptions, but it seemed to stop after Rio Olympics). These were of course printed in the US, but have the Brazil rating symbol and in assume Brazilian Portuguese.
Nintendo left Brazil around 2015 and it's only coming back now, but since the Gamecube era they stop being so present, the peak was during N64 with tv spots, soccer ads, official magazine (the magazine lasted longer). Sony more than filled that gap.

Nintendo stuff are known today as a rich kid product here. And to tell the truth, that's deserved.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Genshin on Switch could be a difficult port job, it is a very taxing mobile game and doesn't even look/run great on PS4