Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I wonder about the effort and budget put into them. Bushiroad has a fujoshi version of Bang Dream, and while it is definitely Bang Dream with guys, there clearly are shortcomings when compared to the "main" version.

Ubisoft Mobile clearly has "try different things and see how it does" mindset right now, lots of very different projects being worked on, canned, published which is kind of normal since they haven't quite mastered how to do mobile games on the western market so most of the cost is R&D looking at tools, prototyping different things before going into a short full dev cycle (though I've heard they're working on their biggest project yet, in a genre which, I assume, is totally unrelated to what we're discussing)
City of Love uses live2d for example which is a fun trivia and shows they knew their target audience and looked at how Japan were doing things back then.

Dec 2, 2019
There's a Ubisoft mobile game which is exactly that
It uses a stamina bar of some sort that prevents you from playing for too long without paying, but if you wait for a day it refills automatically. Basically you can play a limited, but respectable, time daily and can pay to be able to play more at once.
It's decent all around but I don't think it found a sizable enough audience for them to keep pushing these kind of titles
I highly dislike these payment methods that rely not just on the game's merits but on people's weeknesses.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I highly dislike these payment methods that rely not just on the game's merits but on people's weeknesses.

I mean I don't like it either and some balance has to be found, but with the premium model being completely dead on mobile, publishers are bound to find some money somewhere at some point coming from players.
A pricing method which is too agressive will kill the game, one which is too lenient will not allow to get enough revenue stream unless you find a gigantic userbase, the optimal model is somewhere in between for both players and publishers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
I´m sorry..maybe i´m late...could you please explain from what video this is? I dont get it...Sorry again, if i´m to late.
Simply put. Nintendo will offer sessions about game developing and publishing on the Switch. supply the Switch devkit. And even push a potential project.

Here's the full video by the way.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 7 PS5 released yesterday and will be on the edge for entering Famitsu top 30 with first week opening looking to land around 1000-2000 copies at retail.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the usual hot takes, was anyone expecting anything of a 14 months old re-release of a game already playable on the system?

I don't get why Sega released a dedicated PS5 version. Maybe they'll treat it as the "best" version.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the game was available on PS4 and had a free upgrade. can't say I'm shocked at a low debut on PS5

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the game was available on PS4 and had a free upgrade. can't say I'm shocked at a low debut on PS5

Not in Japan

Unlike the west, users who own Yakuza: Like a Dragon for PlayStation 4 in Japan will not be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version free of charge. Save data and downloadable content from the PlayStation 4 version are also not compatible with the PlayStation 5 version.

www.gematsu.com

Yakuza: Like a Dragon for PS5 launches March 2, 2021 in Japan

The PlayStation 5 version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon will launch alongside its western release on March 2, 2021 in Japan, publisher Sega and developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio announced.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Should Yakuza PS5 be treated as a remaster then ?

The closest comparison would be Pokken Tournament which launched around a year later on Switch ?

Edit: difference is that Pokken WiiU isn't playable on Switch.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think free upgrade applies to Japan.

Oh. So it seems (japanese gamers getting fleeced like usual). Still though the PS4 version itself works on PS5 so the only audience for this port is the few that really care about resolution and framerate.

The closest comparison would be Pokken Tournament which launched around a year later on Switch ?

Difference is that you can't play WiiU version on the Switch (as it has no BC).

Last edited:

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017

No, still not comparable.

Pokken Wiiu is not playable on switch and had new characters and modes.

No need to dunk on the PS5 for these releases, normal software sales are bad enough.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. So it seems (japanese gamers getting fleeched like usual). Still though the PS4 version itself works on PS5 so the only audience for this port is the few that really care about resolution and framerate.

Difference is that you can't play WiiU version on the Switch (as it has no BC).
No, still not comparable.

Pokken Wiiu is not playable on switch and had new characters and modes.

No need to dunk on the PS5 for these releases, normal software sales are bad enough.
Yeah I edited when I realized.

However I think a found a good comparison. There were several DS games that got ported on 3DS (several Atlus games come to mind). Might be worth looking into that.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Edit: difference is that Pokken WiiU isn't playable on Switch.

Tales of Zestiria is closer, in scope, sales (AA game) type (mostly single player game, rpg), platforms (sony home consoles) and pricing (cheaper remaster rerelease)

01./00. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 340.891 / NEW <89,52%>
13./00. [PS4] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.07.07} (¥3.800) - 5.045 / NEW

I have no idea what the PS5 release is adding in term of contents though, Zestiria PS4 didn't add much if anything (maybe a few costumes and the 3-5h long DLC but it was free for original owners for a couple months anyway)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Zestiria is closer, in scope, sales (AA game) type (mostly single player game, rpg), platforms (sony home consoles) and pricing (cheaper remaster rerelease)

01./00. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 340.891 / NEW <89,52%>
13./00. [PS4] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.07.07} (¥3.800) - 5.045 / NEW
What an awful number given the reduced price and how the PS3 version is not playable at all on PS4.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
What an awful number given the reduced price and how the PS3 version is not playable at all on PS4.

Awful I don't know but certainly expected, why would you buy a slightly more good looking version of a game that was overshipped and can be found for less 1000yens on PS3, which PS4 owner (on a 3M install base) didn't own the game on PS3 but would want it on PS4?
Yakuza 7 is the same thing minus bomba bins plus an even more ridiculous install base (<500k)

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Awful I don't know but certainly expected, why would you buy a slightly more good looking version of a game that was overshipped and can be found for less 1000yens on PS3, which PS4 owner didn't own the game on PS3 but would want it on PS4?
Yakuza 7 is the same thing minus bomba bins.

Yeah. if I remember right the game had pretty bad word of mouth (fuckery with Alisha DLC didn't help) and so had extra bad legs even for Tales of game.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Awful I don't know but certainly expected, why would you buy a slightly more good looking version of a game that was overshipped and can be found for less 1000yens on PS3, which PS4 owner (on a 3M install base) didn't own the game on PS3 but would want it on PS4?
Yakuza 7 is the same thing minus bomba bins plus an even more ridiculous install base (<500k)
Yeah. if I remember right the game had pretty bad word of mouth (fuckery with Alisha DLC didn't help) and so had extra bad legs even for Tales of game.

Honestly, the whole Alisha controversy makes me wary of using Tales of Zestiria as an apple-to-apple comparison piece: the original game's reception definitely played a big role in the PS4 budget release's result (as Fisico mentioned, the game was bomba bin'ed hard, it could be found for < 1,000 yens).
Did Tales of Zestiria PS4 include additional content? Yakuza: Like a Dragon International does have some of the DLC included, but they're probably not that much relevant for customers anyway.

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
Other are groups that were formed to support and push the video game industry in Thailand. Game company wise it's only Nintendo. (I would say "So far" but they already have a concrete plan about the program schedule so I'm not sure if Sony is going to join in)

Also a bit of a side note. The announcement was hosted by Kamon Yoshimura. Head of publisher & Developer Relations (SEA region) from Nintendo in Kyoto, Japan. Interestingly the video is in English (he's speaking natively without the use of a voice over) so if I have time I'll show it later.

WQ3OGbE.jpg
I just want to say thank you for sharing this information in regards to Nintendo with us and I look forward to hearing more about this from you later.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Honestly, the whole Alisha controversy makes me wary of using Tales of Zestiria as an apple-to-apple comparison piece: the original game's reception definitely played a big role in the PS4 budget release's result (as Fisico mentioned, the game was bomba bin'ed hard, it could be found for < 1,000 yens).
Did Tales of Zestiria PS4 include additional content? Yakuza: Like a Dragon International does have some of the DLC included, but they're probably not that much relevant for customers anyway.

It still sold 23k LTD in the end, nothing special but still
MC CY 2018
966./594. [PS4] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.07.07} (¥3.800) - 900 / 23.517 (-73%) (5.045 <88,48%>)

It's not an apple to apple but it's certainly the closest thing I can think of, Yakuza 7 PS5 SKU has a few things going against it that Zestiria PS4 didn't have : pricing a bit higher, less healthier platform, japanese audience being screwed over...
In the end they do end up being similar situations : who is this SKU targeting by releasing on the newest platform so long after the original game while having next to zero addtional content ?
The answer is quite simple : almost no one, those who played it barely have any reason to double dip, those who didn't had plenty of occasions to do so on PS4 for a cheaper price.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, resolution and framerate are basically the only reason to get a PS5 lol so this is a weird argument to me. If no one was bothered about these things why is PS5 selling at all? A Demons Souls remake? Don't think so
beats me. I guess for the promise of upcoming games? selling them across the water? I really have no clue

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It is a shame they delayed the Xbox release of Yakuza 7 in Japan. (Launch title initially)

It would have been an interesting battle.

Dec 21, 2020
Hey now, Atlus still has their stellar turned based JRPGs, but they take eons so it's fine, by the time they feel like moving on from traditional turn based JRPG style, the universe already died from heat death.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It still sold 23k LTD in the end, nothing special but still
MC CY 2018
966./594. [PS4] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.07.07} (¥3.800) - 900 / 23.517 (-73%) (5.045 <88,48%>)

It's not an apple to apple but it's certainly the closest thing I can think of, Yakuza 7 PS5 SKU has a few things going against it that Zestiria PS4 didn't have : pricing a bit higher, less healthier platform, japanese audience being screwed over...
In the end they do end up being similar situations : who is this SKU targeting by releasing on the newest platform so long after the original game while having next to zero addtional content ?
The answer is quite simple : almost no one, those who played it barely have any reason to double dip, those who didn't had plenty of occasions to do so on PS4 for a cheaper price.

In both cases it's a byproduct of SKUs developed for the western release. Although they might have just been better off doing a DD-only release in Japan for Yakuza.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey now, Atlus still has their stellar turned based JRPGs, but they take eons so it's fine, by the time they feel like moving on from traditional turn based JRPG style, the universe already died from heat death.

Atlus went from yearly Etrian Odyssey titles on the last two Nintendo handheld gens to none at all on Switch's fourth year on the market. I'm devastated, really.