entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Isabella Rosario Blum was wrapping up medical school and considering residency programs to become a family practice physician when she got some frank advice: If she wanted to be trained to provide abortions, she shouldn't stay in Arizona.

Blum turned to programs mostly in states where abortion access — and, by extension, abortion training — is likely to remain protected, like California, Colorado and New Mexico. Arizona has enacted a law banning most abortions after 15 weeks.

"I would really like to have all the training possible," she said, "so of course that would have still been a limitation.

One of the secondary effects with Dobbs will be the medical brain drain, already happening.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely makes sense to me.

Would rather not be in a state where it might be a crime to take care of a patient, thanks for asking.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When you legislate the veritable stripping away of civilization from every conceivable angle, you can't expect those from neighboring societies to perpetually be bailing you out or throwing you lifelines in the form of qualified professionals. At some there just aren't enough upsides and too many risks involved in moving to the rural/red states. I fully expect these states to be violent, toxic hellholes in a couple decades time, barring any miraculous shifts in policymaking.

But that party doesn't exist without constantly deepening the divide and stoking the jealousy and rage of their constituents, so there's no incentive for their politicians to be better.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
they are trying to punish doctors for providing services. who knows what they will criminalize next so why stay in those states?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely should, they have to watch out for their own neck. Any pediatrician that treats teenage girls will be in the crosshairs for eventual legislation that tries to ban birth control — an abortaficient according to republicans — and prosecute the doctors who prescribe it, charging them with murder.

maqtunat

Sep 14, 2023
Mi'kma'ki Territory
Most health professionals worth their mettle will follow suit. I don't want a doctor, nurse, or anyone in the field who isn't working in their patients' best interest, why tf would anyone

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Abortion is the first line of treatment care for many types of ob/gyn health because becoming pregnant is literally the most dangerous thing you can do to your body and anybody that denies this is obfuscating the truth: abortion is healthcare. If you want to learn healthcare, avoid states where abortion is illegal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
When you legislate the veritable stripping away of civilization from every conceivable angle, you can't expect those from neighboring societies to perpetually be bailing you out or throwing you lifelines in the form of qualified professionals. At some there just aren't enough upsides and too many risks involved in moving to the rural/red states. I fully expect these states to be violent, toxic hellholes in a couple decades time, barring any miraculous shifts in policymaking.

But that party doesn't exist without constantly deepening the divide and stoking the jealousy and rage of their constituents, so there's no incentive for their politicians to be better.
This why the idiots in SCOTUS shouldn't insert themselves here. But we're going through a conservative backlash right now.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
It's been reported on a couple times, but Idaho is suffering from a critical shortage of OBGYNs.

It's not a problem the people running the state care enough to fix either.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Defining an important aspect of someone's job as murder will tend to make them hesitant to perform that job in that jurisdiction, yeah.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, you don't really want to be in a situation where in order to avoid jail you have to wait until the woman is nearly dead before being "allowed" (maybe) to perform a medically necessitated abortion. And even then you're not 100% sure that you won't be criminally liable.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I got nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

Best of luck to those of us stuck here.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah residents are avoiding Idaho too. I don't blame them since they could be criminally tried for saving a woman's life....

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
The AAMC analysis notes that even in states with abortion bans, residency programs are filling their positions — mostly because there are more graduating medical students in the U.S. and abroad than there are residency slots.

Huh... lede buried it seems.
If theres a 5-6% drop in applicants, but the residency positions were still all filled.... to me I don't know how this is all that concerning if the full ban states are still recruiting the max number of graduates regardless of position on abortion.