• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
The gap between Street Fighter IV's original release and now is longer than the stretch of time from the original Street Fighter to EX3.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy X is 22 years old this year.

Square released Final Fantasy I to X in 14 years.

They've only released six mainline games in the last 22 years.

The way I put it is: The last objectively good Final Fantasy game was 20 years ago. (Sorry 14 fans, that one might count too, but I still like to say it!)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
MM9 was one of the most surreal gaming experiences of my life. like I slipped into an alternate 1991 or something

keep in mind this was before there were plenty of pixel indie games and stuff

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
MM9 was one of the most surreal gaming experiences of my life. like I slipped into an alternate 1991 or something

keep in mind this was before there were plenty of pixel indie games and stuff
It really was one of the first retro pixel games on consoles, wasn't it. We were blessed. It's one of the very first digital games I ever bought.

Oct 27, 2017
This shit burns me on a deep level.

Like, the original Godzilla came out just under 30 years before I was born... less time than the original Jurassic Park to today... *kill me*

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
It was either said by Sean Seanson or someone in the comments of their "Every Square game on the PS1" video that was linked here months ago, but Square Enix has been in business longer than SquareSoft (founded in the second half of either 1983 or 1986) ever was.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see such love for it. I played through all the MM's this year for the 1st time and hated 9 and 10. They felt like Mario Maker levels in their design. No nuance or flavour compared to the classics.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Square and Enix merged into Square Enix 20 years ago in 2003. Square's first game released in 1984, 19 years before the merger. Square Enix has existed longer than Square did.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see such love for it. I played through all the MM's this year for the 1st time and hated 9 and 10. They felt like Mario Maker levels in their design. No nuance or flavour compared to the classics.

well that... sure is a take

level design in MM9 was IMO incredible. MM10 though yeah i can see where you're coming from

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sure would be nice if Capcom announced a new Mega Man game.

(More legacy collections wouldn't hurt either. But they're running out of series to collect.)

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen this take before. When MM9 came out I played through MM 1-3 on VC and the improvements from the NES ones to 9 were just crazy. MM1 is just a very meh game.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I like the idea of Mega Man 9 but they made it way too hard to be fun. I can beat the first 8 games no problem.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is insane. I'm just posting to chime in with more praise for MM9 (and MM10).

Sep 22, 2019
yeah i mean 15 yrs is a long time.... for a second i thought you meant mighty no 9 and i was like no fkn way

megaman9 was so good , bought and played at launch instantly for no other reason than its megaman

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
The time comparisons in this thread remind me of that SNES era commercial where the kid gets launched and lands in the coffin by the end of the commercial. But my age-addled brain can't remember what that ad was for and my Google Fu isn't getting me there either...

We're so fucking old...

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
I feel like MM9 overexaggerates some of the difficulty of the classics and removing the slide was stupid (I can take or leave the charge) but otherwise it's fairly solid. I never liked 10 much though.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I wouldn't agree but I think it's also worth noting the entire soundtrack of 9 is a non-stop slew of absolute top-tier bangers, which is impressive for a series already known for its music

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen this take before. When MM9 came out I played through MM 1-3 on VC and the improvements from the NES ones to 9 were just crazy. MM1 is just a very meh game.
Agreed MM1 hasn't aged well, but 2 and 3 are fantastic. 9 and 10 just seemed like an overuse of spikes and pits, which the old ones had but not to such abundance.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I should give Mega Man 9 a full try someday. Is the Legacy Collection version any good?

On a semi-related note:
The gap between Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 and Wario Land: Shake It! is smaller than the gap between Wario Land: Shake It! and the present day.

☹️

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Popo and Nana's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Melee is older now than the original Ice Climber was when Melee was a fresh product.

Mike Pollock has been voicing Dr. Eggman in animation and video games for a longer time than the Sonic IP had been in existence when he started in both mediums.

The current Hasbro-founded Atari Interactive has been in business longer than the original Atari, Inc. and Jack Tramiel's Atari Corporation were combined.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still pissed they walked back much of the improvements over the time just to give it as dlc as protoman

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I like the idea of Mega Man 9 but they made it way too hard to be fun. I can beat the first 8 games no problem.

You can beat the first 8 games because you're familiar with them. MM9 isn't any harder than the first 3 games, it's just newer and less familiar to you.

The time comparisons in this thread remind me of that SNES era commercial where the kid gets launched and lands in the coffin by the end of the commercial. But my age-addled brain can't remember what that ad was for and my Google Fu isn't getting me there either...

We're so fucking old...

I think that was a PSP commercial? Or possibly an Xbox commercial.

Edit: It was an Xbox commercial. I found it by Googling "Life to death gaming commercial".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIJ7BiU96VE

Feb 9, 2018
The PS2 is older now than the Atari 2600 was when the PS2 was released.

More time has passed between when I was born and now than between the start of World War II and when I was born.

Getting older really fucks with your perception of time. When you're a kid, things that happened before you were born seem like some massive gulf of time ago, but when you grow up you realize it's really not. Things that seem like a long time ago really weren't. Woodstock and Apollo 11 were less than 11 years before I was born. 11 years ago was 2013, the same year the PS4 and XBO were released. There are almost certainly people alive today that knew someone old enough to have known someone who was alive when the US was founded.

You can beat the first 8 games because you're familiar with them. MM9 isn't any harder than the first 3 games, it's just newer and less familiar to you.
This. MM9 kicked my ass the first time I played it, but with some practice I was able to beat it in about an hour with no game overs. It's just a matter of familiarizing yourself with a game.

Last edited:

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024

I think that was a PSP commercial? Or possibly an Xbox commercial.

Edit: It was an Xbox commercial. I found it by Googling "Life to death gaming commercial".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIJ7BiU96VE

I disagree with this, while MM9 and 10 are both good games, 9 kind of felt like a game designed based on how people interpret Mega Man games, rather than how they are actually built. MM9 has tons of gimmicks and cheap deaths thrown about, and it's easy to define that against the other games. Mega Man 8 had SOME stuff like that such as the sliding sections, but for the most part MM games rarely relied on surprise kills and memorization.

I only mention 9 because I recall that one a lot more than 10, but I do recall 10 seemed to ease up on that stuff. Of course, part of the spike can also be attributed to the fact that Mega Man became easier over time, I would say 4-6 are all a good bit easier than 1-3, especially 5. Still, 9 is a great game, but it felt a bit cheap compared to the rest of the series outside of maybe 1 which just isn't that great generally.

I've beaten effectively every mainline MM game that exist and beyond though, and I consider 9 one of the most gimmicky cheap death ones, it only becomes more tolerable on replays, but you rely a lot more on memorization in that game than the rest of the series in my mind.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018

MM9 has a lot of cheap death traps. You get killed by pits and spikes more than dying from losing your health. You also have to inch yourself to the edge of every jump to make sure nothing is going to jump out of the pit to knock you in.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I've beaten effectively every mainline MM game that exist and beyond though, and I consider 9 one of the most gimmicky cheap death ones, it only becomes more tolerable on replays, but you rely a lot more on memorization in that game than the rest of the series in my mind.

It's been a while since I played it, but I guess it does have more cheap deaths than the older games. But once you're familiar with everything, it's just as hard as the first three games, which I agree are harder than 4-6. I remember having a way harder time with MM11 than with 9 or 10; it's also the only mainline MM game that I've only played through just once.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
The Wii and 360 turning 20 years old is really kind of a shocking moment for me. They just don't feel as old now as the NES did back then.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
MM9 has a lot of cheap death traps. You get killed by pits and spikes more than dying from losing your health. You also have to inch yourself to the edge of every jump to make sure nothing is going to jump out of the pit to knock you in.

There were pits and spikes like that in the older games as well, but maybe there were more of them in MM9 than I remember.

RazorHawk

Apr 3, 2023

This actually kind of makes sense as I feel this experience is offset by how extremely useful and powerful the sub weapons are in this game. Starting the game straight away with Jewel Man and getting his weapon trivializes entire segments of certain stages. There are multiple long stretches in some stages you can just run through unhindered if you have the jewel shield active.

Edit: Totally quoted the wrong poster lol

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If you're saying Mega Man 9 is too hard, I get it.

But if you're saying, "I can beat Mega Man 2 no problem but Mega Man 9 is too hard," that's because you're really good at Mega Man 2. You played it a lot as a kid, over and over, getting better at it each time. That's why you look back at it as being easier than the newer hard game.

Mega Man has always had moments of "cheap" deaths as well. But you learn your way around them.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
If one looks at the classic Mega Man franchise as a whole, Mega Man 9 has more fake difficulty than average.

But compared to MM2, the game it was deliberately referencing the most? It's far more fair.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree. The simplicity of 8-bit Mega Man shines the best in MM9. Slide and Charge shot while cool where unnecessary and gameplay flowed better without them.

A toggle or even an unlock upon beating the game would have done no harm, putting them back in as dlc and tying them to a whole separate character is infuriating.

We did eventually get MM11 to actually move the franchise forward but honestly as a long time MM fan the 9-10 duology era were fustrating as hell for me.

Also nah, let us disagree. I kind of get charge shot being extraneous, but there is no conceivable way slide could be considered extra when it's a large part of why MM3 is good.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
More time has passed between the release of the original Baldur's Gate and BG3 (25 years) than between the release of the OG First Edition of Dungeons & Dragons itself and Baldur's Gate (24 years)

yay.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sad that trend wasn't pushed further with AAA titles.

I really thought we'd have a retro resurgence with it at the time, but now it's still mostly all indie.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the release fo the first Star Wars movie is closer to the release of the first The Three Stooges short than it is to the present.

the time between the Famicom's original Japanese launch to the Gamecube's launch is shorter than the time between the 360's launch and the present.

Nich

Oct 26, 2017
I normally just roll my eyes at these, like "yes, yes, time continues to pass and we are all getting older." But this one got me.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
In just 6 more years the 90's will have been 90 years ago.

Haha very funny and untrue. It'll be 40 years ago.

You will begin the last half of your life.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This year Super Mario Galaxy will be as old as Super Mario World was when it came out.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Concrete Man has always been my favorite tune in the entire series. 9 and 10 are probably my favorite games in the MM series, also.