Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
www.resetera.com

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy - The most important game I played in my childhood RTTP - PC

There is probably no game with more emotional meaning for me in these 27 years of gamer life than StarTrek Starfleet Academy. The reason for this is quite simple: In the 1990s few people in my neighborhood had a PC and original games were more expensive than minimum wage. One day an uncle (my...

This is another game from my youth (see above) that I have fond memories of and another game that I had no idea what was going on, this time because I played the Japanese version. I decided to replay it and am amazed at how much fun it is.

There are "tons" of areas to explore and interact with things, you can go to the library and find books that explain the game lore, you can tell a painter that she lacks talents, you can make up a fake name (hello Mr. Hippopotamus).
There are a few differences between the US and JP versions, you can't shoot birds or kick this dog in the US for instance.

EuCCz7W.png

qD94DEI.gif

xiZHHGH.png

DMFN8Qm.gif

Mgqy0V7.png

HrCl6oR.png

"We are live from the terrorist attack"
qGzTikT.png

Most NPC's have something funny or useful to say, and most of the dialogues, although extremely simple, fit into the different contexts of the game.
The combat is a little rough, I'll give you that, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. I like how you can customize the Mega Buster and use secondary weapons.

The background music is just chefkiss.gif

I can't tell if I am downplaying other games of the time, but I find all these features impressive for a game from the PS1 era.

I remember finding it impressive that the game contains cars that drive around the city areas. I had fun climbing on them to go for a ride. Btw, what was your first experience with traffic violence? Pedestrians are not given the slightest respect by drivers.

F7hsLGI.png

vkp56P0.png

y5SjZrf.png

15YWtcx.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You described everything that blew me away as a kid. I remember the first time stepping into the city area, it blew my absolute mind at the time. A fully functioning, 3D city, pedestrians walking around with something to say, active traffic. That's on top of the vibrant charm and appeal the whole game naturally had.

As you play further in, you get to know each of these people; the pregnant wife of the fruit stand owner, the girl in her wheelchair at the hospital, the artist like you mentioned, the three kids building a clubhouse, etc, each with small little stories you can choose to develop over time. I tear up every time we see these people wave goodbye to us in the ending cinematic- you really got to know them and the island.

It's just oozing charm in the details too. Do you want to listen to music at the CD shop? There's a flower you can pick for Roll! Why don't you adopt this stray cat? Will you choose to repair the damage the Bonnes left the city with? Let's evesdrop and see what the townsfolk are gossiping about! There's even a morality system! Commit enough acts of vandalism and your armor turns darker, where then people will start talking shit about you.

This game is full to the brim with character, heart and sense of coziness few games can match today. I miss it dearly and wish so badly for an HD collection.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think the animation is where the real beauty in this game lives.

tron-bonne-the-fighte12j76.gif

tumblr_ocldrhez9g1txsyjjj0.gif

finelastgodwit-max-1mdgjm6.gif

At a time where 3D was still pretty new and scary, Mega Man Legends was trying to use it to capture minor and expressive movement details that you would see in high quality 2D animation. All these little shifts and movements of the head and eyes.

Oct 25, 2017

At a time where 3D was still pretty new and scary, Mega Man Legends was trying to use it to capture minor and expressive movement details that you would see in high quality 2D animation. All these little shifts and movements of the head and eyes.
I would so take a sequel on this polygonal budget. It still looks so damn good in this aesthetic. Low poly at it's most appealing.

cc2a98c14e609794785ecf9fdfb41b1f.gif

mega-man-legends-2-30.jpg

f974754ce5bcdc426ba8eda048bea78f.gif

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
Still my favorite game to this day. So much character and heart.

Loved the whole ruins labyrinth that ran underground throughout the entire island that gradually opened up more and more. My 13 year old self got lost down there for like two hours and loved every minute.

Not sure why they changed Mega Man's voice actor in the sequel; it was so weird hearing Sailor Jupiter's voice come out of his mouth.

Are there any indie games that even try to emulate MML? I thought I would've heard about some by now.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man Legends 1 is one of the only games I come back to annually. The game just has so much heart and style. I wish it was more successful because I would love more games similar to Legends' gameplay.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I've never been super fond of mega man games but Legends was different, I freaking adored that game. Alas I only ever played the first one. I've been hoping for some updated ports for years...

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Underrated game, underrated series. The island just has so much heart and detail. I wish we got 3 but please just give us a collection so others can re-experience it.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Mega Man Legends will always hold a place in my heart, remember renting back when it released due to loving classic MM, and it blew me away past expectations, to the point where I begged my parents to actually buy it. The graphics, animations, music, weapons, being able to explore that entire island.... God, if there was a game I could experience all over again fresh with that same excitement as a kid, it'd probably be this. 2 was great as well, but the first game was truly a defining gaming experience in my life that I'll always remember.

Now if we lived in an alternate world where Capcom weren't idiots and didn't cancel Legends 3... I still feel bummed just thinking about it :|

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a MML, but I've always thought they looked really beautiful, since I was a kid, and still do today after all these years. This is testament of how great the artstyle is.

It looks lovely, I'd like to have a chance to play them someday.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Legends is one of my favorite games of all time. I play it multiple times a year lol.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I wonder if Capcom doesn't rerelease it because they think it looks too dated on high resolutions. Or maybe they're just being Capcom.

I love how this game looks, it's a shame that it's stupid expensive and got no rereleases.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I really want to play these, but I know I'm going to enjoy them and get slammed into the Legends 3 brick wall.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Mega Man has always been one of my very favorite game series, but I could never get into Legends. I grew up playing all the NES games and so I excitedly bought Legends, but it was just too different. I could never get into Battle Network for the same reason. I've tried Legends several times over the last two decades but never stuck with it, despite loving the visual style and music. I guess I'm probably due to try it once again. I really should like this game so maybe it'll click eventually.

Edit: Guess I ended up making kind of a bummer post in a series celebration thread. Sorry about that. I guess I've always been a little frustrated with the fact that I want to enjoy this game far more than I do.

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
As much as I loved the other series for different reasons--none of them had the unique charm that Legends had. Really hope it will have its chance in the spotlight one more time, someday.

Not bad for an overrated series that gets too much recognition!

If ever I was tempted to eat a ban, it would have been for that fucking thread.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
CwzOueR.jpg

I've been meaning to replay these for a while now. Actually have my copy of Mega Man 64 sitting in my N64 because I was doing some test recordings to see if could stream it for some friends. It's been 20 or so years since I did a full playthrough of it...but I remember loving these games a lot.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The apple market theme pops into my head every now and then. The music in this game is very good. I also always listened to the Main Gate theme on a loop when doing my homework

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I always love jumping in these threads and just sharing appreciating for the Mega Man Legneds games. They were so mind blowing me. I also love the Misadventures of Tron Bone

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent thread.

These games are just bursting with cool details, and the cutscene direction is impeccable for its time. Excellent animation, fantastically storyboarded.

Just A+ work for its generation.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The legend series (including Tron Bonne) is still so good. The first game is a little dated feeling, but once you get used to manually strafe moving around enemies it's still a blast to play.

For a game that predates OoT, I'd argue it plays better today than it

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I love the look of these games so so much. It's a perfect example of a strong stylistic choice making something feel nearly timeless.

There are some indie games replicating the look now and I'm really happy to see that.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Are both Legends games on PSN for Vita and PS3? I'm assuming it plays poorly on Vita without a second L and R button, but I figured I'd reach out for opinions. This thread put me in a massive mood to play.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite game of all time. It's just incredible in every way. It really did feel a step ahead of its time when it came out.

Still wishing on Part 3. Someday….

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
QUOTE="PeakPointMatrix, post: 73677220, member: 4481"]
There's even a morality system! Commit enough acts of vandalism and your armor turns darker, where then people will start talking shit about you.
[/QUOTE]
wow, are you talking about this??
2upgVAa.gif

TazFrVj.gif

the three kids building a clubhouse

Btw I always thought the smaller kid was bullied by the other two, now I know they are all friends
lol

I would so take a sequel on this polygonal budget. It still looks so damn good in this aesthetic. Low poly at it's most appealing.

cc2a98c14e609794785ecf9fdfb41b1f.gif

mega-man-legends-2-30.jpg

f974754ce5bcdc426ba8eda048bea78f.gif
the cutscene direction is impeccable for its time. Excellent animation, fantastically storyboarded.

I just got to the scene where Roll fix the boat and was thinking about how simple and well-made it was. There was a moment when they show a bird in the sky, a bird that never appears in the main game, so it was made just for that moment and I thought it was pretty cool.

Loved the whole ruins labyrinth that ran underground throughout the entire island that gradually opened up more and more. My 13 year old self got lost down there for like two hours and loved every minute.
I remember being so bad that I was always too scared to explore the ruins lol

Not bad for an overrated series that gets too much recognition!
That thread...

The first game is a little dated feeling, but once you get used to manually strafe moving around enemies it's still a blast to play.
It was exactly how I felt

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah. One of the most wonderful series ever made. I can't believe we only got 2 (and an extra) but man... they were both so good.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Love the original game. One of my favorites of all time.

Been replaying the sequel. I've played it before and enjoyed it, but there's something missing that the original has. I think the lack of one large connected map makes the game feel less fleshed out. Kattelox is just so cozy and by the end of the game you really get to know it well.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Legends is my favorite Mega Man series. The cancelation of 3 is a crime.
IMO Inafune setting the project into motion right as he was leaving was the real crime. He didn't just get our hopes up, but those of the development team as well. Those in the know would have guessed how Capcom's board would react to Inafune leaving behind a few gifts they hadn't planned for, and weren't willing to dedicate resources to. It's on him and the board for being such petty hypocrites in the end, leaving us with not even the promised demo of a game we may never get. No one actually making the game deserved what happened to them, especially when the Prototype looked as good as a pre-alpha proof of concept could have in the situation.

Anyway, there's still a chance that a Legends Legacy Collection will come along, sell well, and get some momentum rolling in the IP's favor yet again. I just hope whoever develops the next installment, be it 3 or a spinoff, really understands the appeal & strengths of the originals.

Jakeobb

Jun 24, 2021
The legend series (including Tron Bonne) is still so good. The first game is a little dated feeling, but once you get used to manually strafe moving around enemies it's still a blast to play.

For a game that predates OoT, I'd argue it plays better today than it

I love legends more than oot but no way it plays better. Legends 2 feels way better in no small part to the fact that they adopted z targeting for the combat.

I love this series and just want a rerelease.

Digital Snake

Oct 25, 2017
I have such a soft spot for these games.

What ever happened to that Red Ash Legends-like? It like didn't make its kickstarter than someone funded it? I barely remember the details.