• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017

Collection 1 is X1-X4, collection 2 is X5-X8. Releases July 26th in Japan.

Optional(?) filter for sprite-based games, increased resolution for 3D games. Includes an art/music/merch gallery, the Day of Sigma OVA, past trailers, and an "X Challenge" mode where you'll fight bosses from different games in the X series together.

Both are getting physical releases for Switch/PS4 in Japan, as well as a "1+2" collection (2 discs for PS4, 1 cartridge + download code for Switch). XBO/PC is digital only in Japan. No word yet on how Capcom USA will bring the games over.

Update: English PR:

As part of Mega Man's 30th anniversary celebration, I'm happy to announce that all eight Mega Man X games will be coming to modern platforms via two collections: Mega Man X Legacy Collection, featuring Mega Man X, X2, X3, and X4, and Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2, featuring X5, X6, X7, and X8! Both will be available beginning July 24th for just $19.99 each digitally. In North America, fans can also grab a retail bundle for consoles for $39.99 in a combo pack that includes a disc for each collection on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. For Nintendo Switch, the pack will include a cartridge with the first collection and a digital download voucher for the second collection.

Clarification on filters:

X1 to X6 actually have 2 different filters, even though the video only shows one:
cu8Rtfs.png

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rxac/about/index.html#collection1

Last edited:

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of the games in Collection 2 even worth playing? Genuinely asking, I've only played the first X and the two PS2 ones. X7 was dire and I have no memory of X8

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are any of the games in Collection 2 even worth playing? Genuinely asking, I've only played the first X and the two PS2 ones. X7 was dire and I have no memory of X8

X5 is okay, and X8 is decent as well.

X6 and X7 are straight trash.

Overall not worth it. X4 was the final genuinely quality X game as far as I'm concerned, move to the Zero series from there.

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this is digital only?

Edit: Nvm, my Japanese is bad but good enough to see it says packaged version.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Def. getting Collection 1 at launch. Collection 2 at somepoint down the line - maybe waiting for a sale.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That optional filter looks awful.

Also, the collection cover looks like its made by the same person who illustrated almost all X game's covers.

JaynePea

Nov 2, 2017
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll make up for separating the release like this by including this treat

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So game companies really think those filters look better than the original look, huh? I was thinking S-E was out of touch when the comments about Chrono Trigger were made by one of the executives but this trailer has that same filter all over it.
At least we know there are options on this.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

X5 is a decent game and makes for a fun ending for the series if you ignore what actually happened and pretend it leads into the Zero series. X8 isn't terrible and really the worst thing you can say about it is that two of the robot master stages are naff ride armour auto scrollers.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
X5 is worth playing through once. It's pretty much an all-around worse X4 with one or two neat ideas. X1-3 are all excellent and X4 is good, but X1 is absolutely in a league of its own, IMO.

Oct 27, 2017

Collection 1 is X1-X4, collection 2 is X5-X8. Releases July 26th in Japan..

GASP! The week of my birthday! YAY!

Optional(?) filter for sprite-based games, increased resolution for 3D games. Includes a music gallery, the Day of Sigma OVA, past trailers, and an "X Challenge" mode where you'll fight bosses from different games in the X series together..

Nice!

Both are getting a physical release for Switch/PS4 in Japan, as well as a "1+2" collection (2 discs for PS4, 1 cartridge + download code for Switch). XBO/PC is digital only in Japan. No word yet on how Capcom USA will bring the game over.

Sons of Bitches! Please, Capcom USA! Make it physical! Also, give us platinum trophies for PS4! Pretty please!

And holy fuck at that X Challenge at the end of the video! X vs multiple Mavericks at the same time?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could at least have included Command Mission in Collection 2 as incentive to buy it.

Getting them all, but yeah, I feel sorry for Collection 2

Yeah I might've honestly got it if it had Command Mission. Not the best RPG ever, but I really loved all the action elements implemented in the turn-based fighting. Executing Zero's fighting game esque combos as fast as possible for max damage was the best.

Also, seeing it at a higher res on emulator, it holds up super fucking well. Like it's kinda crazy how good it still looks.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They could have had my $30 if they packaged all 8 in one disc. Now they'll just get my $20 for collection 1.

X Challenge has me excited!

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
They could at least have included Command Mission in Collection 2 as incentive to buy it.

Getting them all, but yeah, I feel sorry for Collection 2

I'm like 100% sure Command Mission wouldn't hold up all that well on a replay, but yeah, I'd have loved to have seen it make its way in, especially since they're bumping the rendering resolution on the 3D games. (Granted, nothing stopping a replay on Dolphin...)

All of Mega Man X games can't possibly be that much data, I just don't get it with these Switch releases

The smallest Switch cartridge is presumably still a good deal more expensive than a Blu-Ray. At least MMLC2 is still available as a physical release if you buy the collections separately.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
X5 is pretty good, X6 is frustrating but has some good aspects, X7 is undisputed garbage, X8 is controversial - some like it, personally I found it to be awful.

Mar 4, 2018
Look better than those megaman legalcy collection . I will get both. Too bad no megaman X command mission and PSP remake Megaman X

Anyway , What is the X challenge at the end ?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that Capcom is working on getting all MegaMan games on to digital storefronts, wish more publishers would treat their legacy like this.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS
Cross Challenge mode looks neat.

Man I need X Collection Vol. 3 just for MHX and Command Mission ToT

Oct 27, 2017
Which collection has Day of Sigma?

I guess it doesn't matter since I'm buying both. Can't believe they left Command Mission and MHX out though.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Thank you Capcom for saving me money by including every single Megaman X title I like in the first collection.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

X8 is legit good outside of two rather gimmicky vehicle stages. Great secrets, great abilities, good classic design. It was a late PS2 title stymied by a string of maligned and forgettable games before it, but X8 is up there with the best in the run. Think many will be surprised by how much of a gem it is when this collection hits.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Collection 1 is X1-X4, collection 2 is X5-X8. Releases July 26th in Japan.

Optional(?) filter for sprite-based games, increased resolution for 3D games. Includes an art/music/merch gallery, the Day of Sigma OVA, past trailers, and an "X Challenge" mode where you'll fight bosses from different games in the X series together.

Both are getting a physical release for Switch/PS4 in Japan, as well as a "1+2" collection (2 discs for PS4, 1 cartridge + download code for Switch). XBO/PC is digital only in Japan. No word yet on how Capcom USA will bring the games over.

To confirm, 2 has its own individual switch physical release with a cartridge inside?

Do we know if they have english language on the Japanese releases?

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
To confirm, 2 has its own individual switch physical release with a cartridge inside?

Do we know if they have english language on the Japanese releases?

Yes, you can buy them separately and get two cartridges (unless Capcom's being absurd and putting a download slip in the standalone Collection 2, which I doubt.)

No word on language options.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
wow I really thought they'd use X4 as leverage to get people to buy the second collection

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
All y'all americanos need to play the games with their JP versions should the English release feature them, just to see some of the whack Go Nagai-like names the Mavericks have:
Web Spidus
Cyber Kujacker
Frozen Buffalio
Screw Masaider

Oct 31, 2017
Live in Japan and could get the physical versions but... they seem like games I would play often so having them digital and not having to swap carts sounds better.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
hyped for both collections.
MMX5 is really good to get the second collection.
also x6 isn't bad, come on.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i swear, they put x5 in the second collection so people would buy it at all.

If X5 had been in the first collection, it would be the whole canon X story in one collection

now people are going to have to buy the second collection just to play one game to get the full story. scummy