• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intellectual and moral giant, Megyn Kelly, still can't get over being scolded for asking if Blackface is racist. She takes it to Twitter, bringing up Tropic Thunder (which no matter how you feel about it, is very much a movie about how blackface is inherently racist and disgraceful and embarrassing and something people should not actually do) as the example of "Hollywood Hypocrisy" - goes about as well as you'd expect.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Satire, how does it work?

Tropic Thunder was trying to lampoon both absurdly "dedicated" actors and the absurdity of blackface.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You can always tell people who either didn't see the movie or the point went way over their head

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck Megyn Kelly.

Having said that, I'm indifferent about things like Tropic Thunder and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Even if the intentions behind the usage of blackface in those properties aren't malicious, I think the overwhelming majority of audiences are merely laughing at the act - and the deeper meanings are completely lost.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Megyn looks like the type to ask for the Whole Foods manager because there is a black Santa collecting donations outside.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I don't know who this person is, but the fact that people still don't understand Tropic Thunder a decade later is perplexing. It's not a complicated film.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Megyn Kelly.

Having said that, I'm indifferent about things like Tropic Thunder and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Even if the intentions behind the usage of blackface in those properties aren't malicious, I think the overwhelming majority of audiences are merely laughing at the act - and the deeper meanings are completely lost.

I can understand this. Wasn't this what Chappelle referenced when he dipped on his show, like he started to look at the white people on set side eyed like "wait, why are you guys laughing at this exactly?"

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's telling that she thinks the humor of that story is that Robert Downey Jr. had blackface.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
It's all about where the heart of the joke is. It's not "haha blackface", it is (and the entire movie, for that matter) a joke on ultra-serious Hollywood actors.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I can understand this. Wasn't this what Chappelle referenced when he dipped on his show, like he started to look at the white people on set side eyed like "wait, why are you guys laughing at this exactly?"

A lot of Black comedians have expressed similar concerns. Chris Rock too with his "Nigga vs Black People" joke.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
For people who may not have seen this movie:
The scenes around 0:40 should be the moments where the movie is quite clear that blackface is not okay.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Megyn Kelly.

Speaking anecdotally of course, but for my general not the most up to date on social matters friends "back home", RDJ's character in Tropic Thunder is blatantly and obviously making fun of the whole idea and people understand that.

For Sunny, nobody I know even focuses on that aspect. It's more just how absurd the whole situation is, especially the shower scene. But again, those characters are enjoyed because they're notoriously shitty, ignorant, racist idiots. I haven't seen anyone point to Mac and say "Yeah see he does it, it's obviously fine".

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Things like this go to show how "You can't joke about anything these days!" really just means "Help I understand neither comedy nor reality"

A lot of Black comedians have expressed similar concerns. Chris Rock too with his "Nigga vs Black People" joke.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of shitheads I've met who couldn't tell you another Chris Rock line but conveniently had that bit memorized like it was the pledge of allegience...

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
What an idiot, one who probably hasn't even seen the movie.

Tropic Thunder was hilarious, and the whole point of it was showing how crazy RDJ's character was and how some actors do a ton to get into character. I doubt it would work today no matter what the reason though.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Megyn's first mistake was insisting that a corporation like NBC Universal is some kind of moral arbiter.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Keep her away from 30 Rock

mqrxyia1zwb11.jpg

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine not being able to understand Tropic Thunder, of all fucking things.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait for Scarlett Johansson to chime in on this considering she's been earnestly behaving like Downey's character in interviews the last couple years.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
LOL, looks like someone just browsed Netflix this week

RDJ and Tropic Thunder are making fun of Hollywood the entire movie

Last edited:

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Maybe she thinks RDJ is actually the character he's playing? Does she get confused when people die in one movie but go on to appear in other movies?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
she's a Fox News asshole

But I'll admit I'm not sure I feel like white actors wearing blackface to show us why it's bad is a smart idea or revelation worth letting slide

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I 100% guarantee you she has never seen Tropic Thunder and is just making up what she assumes it is based on knowing RDJ had blackface in it.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Isn't Tropic Thunder making fun of Downey's character and blackface?

It's a wider criticism of Hollywood. Basically that they would rather cast a white award winning actor as a person of color than an actual person of color. Additionally, it was making fun of method actors that will go overboard when prepping for roles.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
she's a Fox News asshole

But I'll admit I'm not sure I feel like white actors wearing blackface to show us why it's bad is a smart idea or revelation worth letting slide

Funnily enough, it's all about nuance and execution.

For example, this movie is making fun of the Japanese subculture Ganguru and its usage of "black face" through satire, and yet it comes off as among the most offensively racist things I've ever seen in my life lmao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn86TiufHm8

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Context is everything, and who the joke is aimed at. Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder is so self obsessed, and ignorant to the point of having lost his sense of identity. He thinks what he's doing is art, and the joke ends up being on him.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You only need to watch her interview with DL Hughley about police violence and her rant about white Santa Claus to know where her mind is at. The black face thing was just icing on the shit cake.