• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
If she is passionately kissing you back and grabbing you as much as you are her, these questions would seem downright silly.

I mean you can ask if you need to use a condom or not, the answer of yes or no is consent enough. But I would never ask do you want to have sex if it's so incredibly obvious and I've never been in a situation where it wasn't.

Typically the girl pulls down her own panties also, there are non verbal queues. They do exist.
It's not really even appropriate to have this conversation in this thread because she clearly didn't want it if you read the statement.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Some of you should really refrain from accusing others of being or speaking like rapists. It's clear to me that they're saying that body language goes a long way in telling whether a person is consenting or not. Sure, you can verbalize it, but most of the time sexual consent is conveyed through body language. It quickly becomes clear when the person is physically apprehensive, at which point it's our responsibility to cease contact. I understood this perfectly from the posters that are being piled on.
I literally gave them an out, a chance to explain themselves. "Surely you didn't mean <rapey, creepy thing>, but instead you meant to say <something about affirmative, enthusiastic consent>, right?"

And their answer was to say "well not really" and double-down on their gross, rapey rhetoric. So yeah.

Typically the girl pulls down her own panties or puts her hand on your genetials and starts stroking or something of that manner. There are non verbal queues. They do exist.
No one said otherwise. The problem arises when you have people arguing that if there is no struggle/not saying "no" is the same as consent.

(I do like how you describe "typical" sex encounters with women, though, like all sex acts or encounters start out that way or something... lol)

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
The lack of response does not mean consent. This is the same bullshit some states tried to pull that said if they didn't fight, it meant they consented. This is obviously bullshit, because sometimes the brain just kind of shuts off during trauma.

You guys should educate yourself instead of thinking you can speak on these subjects.

Who are you speaking to?

Where in my post did I imply lack of response is consent? Reciprocation is written right there and without a positive response one wouldn't continue.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If she is passionately kissing you back and grabbing you as much as you are her, these questions would seem downright silly.

I mean you can ask if you need to use a condom or not, the answer of yes or no is consent enough. But I would never ask do you want to have sex if it's so incredibly obvious and I've never been in a situation where it wasn't.

Typically the girl pulls down her own panties also, there are non verbal queues. They do exist.
I'm not saying there isn't... but I also know if she's dropping her panties and you go "So, I guess that means you want to have sex?" isn't going to ruin the mood (and bonus points you might get a good hearted laugh which is always a nice way to score points during foreplay)

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they've been axed for their replies in this thread.

It was that, and they started only replying to each other's posts and dodging discussion.

Who are you speaking to?

Where in my post did I imply lack of response is consent? Reciprocation is written right there and without a positive response one wouldn't continue.

Again, you are not infallible. Why is this so hard?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep!

Can you list out the ways a person behaves when they are physically apprehensive?

I'm asking sincerely.
Not reciprocating emotion or physical contact, a demeanor that suggests irritation, fear, etc., sounds of discomfort, no response when asked if they're okay. A bunch of things. As I said, I personally feel comfortable still asking if the person is okay even if the person is reciprocating and seems to be enjoying the moment.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really even appropriate to have this conversation in this thread because she clearly didn't want it if you read the statement.

True.

The shit is sickening. Girl repeatedly said no for two days and several hours and all the action happened in one direction (the molester performed oral and the molester used a toy on the victim)

It's clear as day that rape occurred. That is if this statement by the accuser is true and there is no reason to believe otherwise.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying there isn't... but I also know if she's dropping her panties and you go "So, I guess that means you want to have sex?" isn't going to ruin the mood (and bonus points you might get a good hearted laugh which is always a nice way to score points during foreplay)

I get what you are saying and honestly it's good that you ask if there is even a smidge of doubt.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get what's wrong with just asking "wanna fuck?" Or "are you into this?"

Like, I've had a LOT of sex, guys. Asking for consent has literally never ruined the moment .

Even the fear of this is hilarious. "I'd ask for consent but I might not get laid if I do!"

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never get what's wrong with just asking "wanna fuck?" Or "are you into this?"

Like, I've had a LOT of sex, guys. Asking for consent has literally never ruined the moment .

Even the fear of this is hilarious. "I'd ask for consent but I might not get laid if I do!"
Also agree with this. If your fear is that asking for consent will ruin your chances of getting laid, then that itself seems problematic as it means you're willing to circumvent a decent gesture just to get it in. That's... odd.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you bout to pipe and asking "you straight with this" ruins the mood, maybe you shouldn't be piping

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean you can ask if you need to use a condom or not, the answer of yes or no is consent enough. But I would never ask " do you want to have sex "if it's so incredibly obvious and I've never been in a situation where it wasn't.

Typically the girl pulls down her own panties or puts her hand on your genetials and starts stroking or something of that manner. There are non verbal queues. They do exist.
I mean this is hugely different from ya know... "Not struggling" or "Not saying no" which was the topic being argued.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are clear situations where saying "wanna fuck" would come down as inappropriate, especially if it's in a romantic moment. Jesus i would feel terrible using those words under any occasion.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
There are clear situations where saying "wanna fuck" would come down as inappropriate, especially if it's in a romantic moment. Jesus i would feel like a giant douche using those words under any occasion.

Ok? There are a billion different things you could say instead.

I don't know what's so douchey about saying that though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There are clear situations where saying "wanna fuck" would come down as inappropriate, especially if it's in a romantic moment. Jesus i would feel terrible using those words under any occasion.
My wife doesn't seem to mind :)

But obviously there are other ways to phrase it. That said, it's pretty clear you understand this whole situation. I was more up in arms about the people who literally just said "She didn't struggle so that must mean yes." True, some women may act like that and be fully consenting, but simply asking "You okay if I keep going?" takes like half a second and then there is no room for doubt.

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consent = "YES"

If you don't hear that word before going forward with a sexual act, consider it rape.

Why is this so hard?

Deleted member 13131

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends because some people tend to be cold and not very "active", so you can never know. Am i supposed to ask "hey, do i have permision to have sex with you?" because that would be weird
Realizing you were already banned for this post, I wanted to reply anyways since it elicited such a rise out of me. I ask my *wife* if she wants to have sex. Indifference results in us both going to sleep. We've been married 18 years.

To be clear, yes you should have explicit consent. Always. Asking "Are you comfortable with this?" or "Do you want to do this?" is not a heavy lift.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife doesn't seem to mind :)

But obviously there are other ways to phrase it. That said, it's pretty clear you understand this whole situation. I was more up in arms about the people who literally just said "She didn't struggle so that must mean yes." True, some women may act like that and be fully consenting, but simply asking "You okay if I keep going?" takes like half a second and then there is no room for doubt.

Yeah I get that. Sorry for saying douchey initially as that was not the write word to use.

wizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California

Can I kiss you? Are you okay? Whats wrong?

Nobody wants to ask those questions, it runs against passion, romance and masculinity.

That being said with how many people are devoid of social normalcy now it might be needed.

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nobody wants to ask those questions, it runs against passion, romance and masculinity.

That being said with how many people are devoid of social normalcy now it might be needed.

Yeah, and no one did ask those questions. That's why an exorbitant amount of women can claim they were raped.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL

Hahaha. No it doesn't.

If I ask my fiancé "are you ready for daddy's big dick?" it's certainly not gonna turn her off.

Oct 25, 2017
Not once have I ever killed the mood asking these question. Hell, I even ask my wife if she's ok with it before we have sex.
Seriously, it can be as simple or silly as "you ready?" or "you want me inside you now?" or "DOST THOU DESIRE THE D?" Whatever language your partner is comfortable with, if they want to do it with you it won't be an issue.

"Oh no, they care about my well-being and want to make sure I'm all right! Sex cancelled."

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard some women say that a guy asking for "permission" before a kiss is a huge turnoff so on that I'm a bit on the fence and not sure what's the right thing. They're like "if I don't want it I'll let you know but if you ask I'll definitely not want it. For more sexual things it's incredibly easy to ask in a way that makes sense and won't ruin the moment.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
I've heard some women say that a guy asking for "permission" before a kiss is a huge turnoff so on that I'm a bit on the fence and not sure what's the right thing. For more sexual things it's incredibly easy to ask in a way that makes sense and won't ruin the moment.

As has been addressed, non-verbal consent can and does also exist. Groups like RAINN even acknowledge it. Clear and enthusiastic body language is ok. What isn't ok is assuming that as long as she's not saying 'no', then you're good.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If my girl says it's too much I ask if she wants to keep going. I get what you guys are saying.

I think I was more shocked by the insinuation if you don't clearly ask and get a verbal yes that it's rape. I understand now that I just misinterpreted the discussion.

It should be taught that way no doubt.

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard some women say that a guy asking for "permission" before a kiss is a huge turnoff so on that I'm a bit on the fence and not sure what's the right thing. They're like "if I don't want it I'll let you know but if you ask I'll definitely not want it. For more sexual things it's incredibly easy to ask in a way that makes sense and won't ruin the moment.

Because those women are programmed to think that the man needs to be the aggressor. No, you, as a man, need to make sure the woman is ok with every step. She may be comfortable with some things, but not so much others. Doing something she doesn't like?

Guess what you are.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not reciprocating emotion or physical contact, a demeanor that suggests irritation, fear, etc., sounds of discomfort, no response when asked if they're okay. A bunch of things. As I said, I personally feel comfortable still asking if the person is okay even if the person is reciprocating and seems to be enjoying the moment.

How do you know if a person is the kind of person that just "shuts down" when afraid?
What kind of demeanor "suggests" irritation, fear, etc?
How do you know if a person is the kind of person that freezes up and makes no sound or movement when afraid?

Re: the last question- asking if they're okay is exactly what people argue for.

Toxic masculinity, maybe.

Seriously, it can be as simple or silly as "you ready?" or "you want me inside you now?" or "DOST THOU DESIRE THE D?" Whatever language your partner is comfortable with, if they want to do it with you it won't be an issue.

"Oh no, they care about my well-being and want to make sure I'm all right! Sex cancelled."

Ugh, knowing a man respects women as people with agency is just such a turn off. I HATE decent men.

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is oversimplifying it a bit. Would make just about everyone with an active sex life a rapist.

Why can't it be that simple? How else would you end this bullshit?

Christ, I have to sign to waive rental car insurance.

Yet, making sure you're not raping someone with a simple question is too much to ask?

We really are in a patriarchy.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never ever had a problem and never have i been acused of forcing anyone or raping anyone.

neither had Melanie Martinez

not getting call out on it isn't the same thing as not doing anything wrong

im not trying to say anything about you, just that that argument flies in the face of the exact thing this thread is about

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Consent = "YES"

If you don't hear that word before going forward with a sexual act, consider it rape.

Why is this so hard?

Er, no.

Lol. Maybe you should instead read the OP and think about your optics. Bonus points for not understanding my posts, too.

Maybe you should reply directly to my post as you've yet to highlight where in that post I implied a lack of response is consent. As you've struggled to do that then your maybe your optics are the issue.

wizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California
How do you know if a person is the kind of person that just "shuts down" when afraid?
What kind of demeanor "suggests" irritation, fear, etc?
How do you know if a person is the kind of person that freezes up and makes no sound or movement when afraid?

Re: the last question- asking if they're okay is exactly what people argue for.

Toxic masculinity, maybe.

Ugh, knowing a man respects women as people with agency is just such a turn off. I HATE decent men.

Tell that to all the women who expect such toxic masculinity.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't it be that simple? How else would you end this bullshit?

Christ, I have to sign to waive rental car insurance.

Yet, making sure you're not raping someone with a simple question is too much to ask?

We really are in a patriarchy.
It all comes down to the situation.

If she hands me a condom and opens her legs, is hearing "YES" still necessary after that point?

Then there's relationships... You know someone and communication can be through body language without a word being said.