entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
She basically was the foundation. She was massive.

mouser

Apr 4, 2024
Didn't know the definition of philanthropy was "fucking up the education system". Learn something new everyday I guess.

mouser

Apr 4, 2024
The results of all the money they dumped into education were a net negative, so not only did they piss away their money but in the process they fucked the existing system.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Something about the way that "I will have" is followed casually by "an additional $12.5 billion"

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
How is Bill going to afford changing the letterheads and sign on the building. Did you think of that, Melinda? Sheesh

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
This is no doubt a huge boost to the long-awaited Stephen and Melinda Gates foundation.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Imagine just being able to say that as if it's nothing.

I don't care how good or well intentioned a person is: it's fundamentally fucked up and wrong for one person to have that level of power, influence and control. And we're talking about one of the best billionaires in existence in this case.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Was not aware of this ….

I have and continue to work with many students that have benefitted from their foundation.
I mean compared to the number of people in the public school system that had worse conditions BECAUSE of the impact charter schools had on the funding of their education...

Two Peppers

May 29, 2022
As other people have said, I think it's generally agreed that on net charter schools have been harmful. They didn't have the anticipated broader positive impacts (the original idea was these schools could do new and innovative things that would work better than the bad old education system, and this new pedagogy would spread out to regular schools--this did not happen), and mostly ended up diverting money away from public schools. The foundation also pushed Common Core, which has had a lot of criticism, but I think was mostly just not really helpful in the way they wanted (raising standards at school more generally, encouraging the market to improve materials, etc etc).

In hindsight it feels very obvious that this wouldn't work, but when they kicked it off a lot of people really thought charter schools and common core were going to have a big positive impact. Which of course doesn't mean we can't criticize--even if they were totally well-intentioned it's still a big fuckup, and a very Silicon Valley-brain type of fuckup at that.

Anyway, hopefully the foundation stops trying to do education shit and sticks to global health, where they've actually done a lot of good.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As other people have said, I think it's generally agreed that on net charter schools have been harmful. They didn't have the anticipated broader positive impacts (the original idea was these schools could do new and innovative things that would work better than the bad old education system, and this new pedagogy would spread out to regular schools--this did not happen), and mostly ended up diverting money away from public schools. The foundation also pushed Common Core, which has had a lot of criticism, but I think was mostly just not really helpful in the way they wanted (raising standards at school more generally, encouraging the market to improve materials, etc etc).

In hindsight it feels very obvious that this wouldn't work, but when they kicked it off a lot of people really thought charter schools and common core were going to have a big positive impact. Which of course doesn't mean we can't criticize--even if they were totally well-intentioned it's still a big fuckup, and a very Silicon Valley-brain type of fuckup at that.

Anyway, hopefully the foundation stops trying to do education shit and sticks to global health, where they've actually done a lot of good.
It just hit me,
Charter schools are the trickle down of education!
No wonder it couldn't work.

mouser

Apr 4, 2024

"in hindsight" or you know if anyone had actually listened to teachers who said it was a terrible idea instead of listening to the billionaire jerk-offs who don't know the 1st thing about education.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
The thing I remember the most about the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is how they bought the rights to the Oxford Covid vaccine that the Oxford researchers wanted to make available to everyone.
Then it became the Ox-ford AstraZeneca vaccine, and was sold just like the other vaccines, for a lot of money.

Bill Gates and his wife significantly hampered the diffusion of vaccines to third world countries. No one will ever know how many deaths they are responsible for.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
At least she'll still be with the Stephen and Melinda Gates foundation

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
The thing I remember the most about the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is how they bought the rights to the Oxford Covid vaccine that the Oxford researchers wanted to make available to everyone.
Then it became the Ox-ford AstraZeneca vaccine, and was sold just like the other vaccines, for a lot of money.

Counterfactual: Without a huge company to back the vaccine, the resources for evaluation/approvals and scaling production for it would not exist in the super urgent/compressed timeframe that was 2020. I think it's underestimated how much societies were disintegrating in real time during 2020. We will live with the downstream consequences of that disintegration for decades.

A statement about the inequity of vaccine distribution is not unreasonable but must include the context of why events proceeded in the fashion that they did.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
She's leaving to form another foundation

mgid:arc:imageassetref:comedycentral.com:c47c1768-ecfc-11e0-aca6-0026b9414f30

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023
"in hindsight" or you know if anyone had actually listened to teachers who said it was a terrible idea instead of listening to the billionaire jerk-offs who don't know the 1st thing about education.

The same unhinged defense is used for the horribly inhumane decision to withhold medicine from the third world to line the foundation's pockets with even more money via that ruinous astrazeneca decision.

Somehow, billionaires always know best, only choices allowed are ones that benefit them. It's really magical, one hopes the money eventually trickles down and does *some* good and doesn't just undermine public institution after public institution as if that was totally an accident and nobody could have known that, despite it happening again and again and again and again and experts always warning of it every single time.