Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
My body building brother just showed me to this:

• A study has found that men who are able to complete 40 consecutive push-ups are 96% less at risk of cardiovascular disease than those who can manage under 10.
  • Researchers found that push-up abilities were a better marker of future cardiovascular problems than aerobic capability as measured on a treadmill.
  • However they note that the study doesn't necessarily prove causation.

According to a new study, men who can complete 40 push-ups are significantly less at risk of heart disease — which remains the leading cause of mortality across the globe — than those who can manage fewer than 10.

Source

So, can you do 40 consecutive push ups, ERA?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I can definitely do more than 10 in one go, but 40 might be pushing it. I feel like I'd quake at around 25. Almost all of my exercise comes from spin class haha, so gimme a leg thing and I'll be fine

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I can do 30, but I've been actively working on it recently.

For all of you who can't do any, start with standing at an angle and pushing off the wall instead of doing them on the ground. I went from 0 -> 10 wall pushups -> 10 ground pushups -> 20 ground -> ...

Transitioning from 0 to 10 ground only took maybe 5 sessions of wall pushups.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Most I've ever done in a row isn't 25 I think. I need to do some serious work on my strength though. I'm great about running and cardio health, but strength training is always something I've struggled with doing consistently.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
40 is ridiculously easy. Anyone who is incapable of even doing that really needs to look into getting into some kind of shape.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most I've ever done in a row isn't 25 I think. I need to do some serious work on my strength though. I'm great about running and cardio health, but strength training is always something I've struggled with doing consistently.
Honestly if you did 25 pushups every other day for about two weeks you'd be able to easily up your count to 100 by the end of the month.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Just did quick test and could do 33. Damn 7 off. Actually bit disappointed as visit gym frequently (4 times week) but maybe it's because I concentrate more on maximum weights than than towards long sets with smaller weights. Don't do push ups that often either.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can only do about 2-3 sets of 10. I haven't tried doing them consecutively though.

Nov 17, 2017
The-one-man-punch-workout.png

I can do 1 push-up for 40 consecutives days, yes.
Whoa there, macho. I can maybe do 1 push-up every week for 40 consecutive weeks.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Now are we talking just plain down and back up or those horrible 6-count ones from school where you had to spend two of the counts holding in the down position?

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just finished using one of those "100 pushup" apps. it took 2 weeks longer than the app said but i can finally do all 100. I guess that means i'll live forever?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you are injured, how is 40 any difficult to an adult?

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I'd be interested in knowing their metric for form. We talking full stop, chest grazing the ground, or this silliness?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can do forty right now - I'd be whacked at the end - but it takes me about a month to work up to a 100 (usually by midsummer when the hibernation fat and sloth is evaporated)/ I haven't tested out my single punch prowess tho.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have good upper body strength and I can't lift/strain weights because of my aortic dilation, so no.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
40 is not easy for the average person. At all. Usually 17-20 is considered "enough" to get past basic military admission testing.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Unless you are injured, how is 40 any difficult to an adult?

Pushups like pullups are dependent on not only strength but bodyweight. This must be using that fact as an overall gauge. If you can bust out a crazy amount of pullups it must mean you're not only strong but have a good BMI. A lot of people are overweight.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I struggled to hit 40 even when in my best shape while in the military. I could always bust out well-over the amount of crunches needed for max points on a fitness test but push-ups were just something I couldn't do, even during periods where I was really into lifting and doing a lot of upper body, back, shoulder, and arm stuff.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do 50 pushups every day in the morning...weekdays only though.