julian

Oct 27, 2017
So we've been hunkered down at my in-laws for the past month or so because of the quarantine and have been tolerating the terrible Wifi for some time, but it's starting to get on everybody's nerves. When we previously stayed here for an extended period, we used a powerline adapter, which was good enough, but now the mother-in-law is having to do WFH and she's realizing just how bad her Wifi has been. I was going to just buy the same Orbi system we have at our apartment:

But looking into things, it seems there are more powerful options out there, which may be required. This isn't an apartment, for instance. It's a house with a basement and steel everywhere. Our cell phones have dead zones all over the place and the Wifi is wildly inconsistent. It is set up in my father-in-law's office on the 2nd floor, and while it works for my laptop in the basement it doesn't work for my mother-in-law's laptop in the room next door. It also doesn't work on my 3DS just down the hall on the same floor. So I'm looking into a mesh network and now see that there are Wifi 6 options, which I didn't even know was a thing, and was wondering if people had experience with this.

Is it better to get a more powerful unit like this:

Or is it better to get something with 3 units like the one I first posted?

I don't mind buying something and returning if it doesn't work but because of the quarantine it just seems like such a hassle I'd rather avoid it if I could. So any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So we've been hunkered down at my in-laws for the past month or so because of the quarantine and have been tolerating the terrible Wifi for some time, but it's starting to get on everybody's nerves. When we previously stayed here for an extended period, we used a powerline adapter, which was good enough, but now the mother-in-law is having to do WFH and she's realizing just how bad her Wifi has been. I was going to just buy the same Orbi system we have at our apartment:

But looking into things, it seems there are more powerful options out there, which may be required. This isn't an apartment, for instance. It's a house with a basement and steel everywhere. Our cell phones have dead zones all over the place and the Wifi is wildly inconsistent. It is set up in my father-in-law's office on the 2nd floor, and while it works for my laptop in the basement it doesn't work for my mother-in-law's laptop in the room next door. It also doesn't work on my 3DS just down the hall on the same floor. So I'm looking into a mesh network and now see that there are Wifi 6 options, which I didn't even know was a thing, and was wondering if people had experience with this.

Is it better to get a more powerful unit like this:

Or is it better to get something with 3 units like the one I first posted?

I don't mind buying something and returning if it doesn't work but because of the quarantine it just seems like such a hassle I'd rather avoid it if I could. So any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I would just go with a bigger and more powerful version of the non WiFi 6 mesh network:

And find a package that has the router and two satellites instead of just 1 or buy the 2 pack and add on an additional satellite. No need to jump into WiFi 6 now since you'll pay a premium for something that most likely won't get utilized anytime soon.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I would just go with a bigger and more powerful version of the non WiFi 6 mesh network:

And find a package that has the router and two satellites instead of just 1 or buy the 2 pack and add on an additional satellite. No need to jump into WiFi 6 now since you'll pay a premium for something that most likely won't get utilized anytime soon.
Wifi 6 sounded like it has improvements on 2.4ghz ranges. It's possible my mother-in-law's laptop uses that which might be why it has such bad reception. Only reason I was considering it, but wasn't really sure.
I wasn't too worried about price since 1) I'm not paying and 2) it will be a business expense. I will however totally be collecting the Best Buy points.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
How big is the house? Where is the router located?

I'd probably just go Mesh for ease of use. A single router could technically be better, but that would likely only matter in gaming specific scenarios. I think Google mesh is supposed to be a lot easier to manage than the Netgear Orbi for people who are less tech savvy.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Wifi 6 sounded like it has improvements on 2.4ghz ranges. It's possible my mother-in-law's laptop uses that which might be why it has such bad reception. Only reason I was considering it, but wasn't really sure.
I wasn't too worried about price since 1) I'm not paying and 2) it will be a business expense. I will however totally be collecting the Best Buy points.

802.11ac or WiFI 6 actually have shorter range. 2.4GHz gives greater coverage at the cost of higher interference, throughput, and latency.

Using the 5GHz band on my older Asus RT-AC68U router, my router would need to be perfectly centered in my ~1700sq ft home to have full coverage. Since it's on one side of the house, 5GHz is slower in the far extremities of my house and non operational outside on the deck. I have to revert to 2.4GHz in those cases.

A lot of modern routers merge all of the bands into one so that it will always chose the best frequency for your given position. I forget what that feature is called.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I use the Synology RT2600ac and the MR2200ac mesh router combo. It has great security features and has been performing very well for me.

dongknows.com

Synology Mesh Review: 100% Terrific Mesh Wi-Fi Options | DKT

With the new RT6600ax and WRX560, Synology mesh is here to stay as one of the best ways to build a robust Wi-Fi system for your home or small office!

That site also has good articles for mesh that may help you out.

Networking | Dong Knows Tech

All things relating to home networking, from network wiring to Wi-Fi and more.

Honestly, the best solution would be to get an Ubiquiti Access Point setup.
I didn't go that route because I'm currently unable to run CAT cables through my walls.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
How big is the house? Where is the router located?

I'd probably just go Mesh for ease of use. A single router could technically be better, but that would likely only matter in gaming specific scenarios. I think Google mesh is supposed to be a lot easier to manage than the Netgear Orbi for people who are less tech savvy.
I set up the Orbi at my place and will certainly be doing that here. Heck, I have to show them how to use the scanner they've had for the past few years later today.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Actually yeah I think the Netgear Orbi you picked out would do quite nicely. Dedicated backhaul and tons of coverage.

Though hmmmm....Nest Wifi does seem to outperform it a bit at range.

mesh-wi-fi-routers-top-speeds.jpg

I'm sure either will suit them fine in any case. I'd maybe look into which would be easier for you to manage at a distance if ever you had to provide tech support.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I just noticed you were wondering about the AX6000, I thought it was a single router and not mesh.

Yeah don't worry about that. It's overkill. They likely don't have any WiFi 6 devices and are in a house where WiFi 6 is less important. Just go with AC. You can get more than enough coverage and performance for all of their use cases out of a cheap kit.

I'd personally get the 2 or 3 node Nest Wifi, depending on the position of the router. If the router is at one end of the house, then 2 nodes is fine. Place the second node in a central location. If the router is in the middle of the house, then go 3 nodes and have one upstairs and one downstairs. Although I haven't used it, non tech savvy people seem to find the Nest much more intuitive, which might come in handy. There's also the integrated Google Assistant and speaker in each access point, which is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Inspecting their current router, I didn't notice before that it also provides their cable hookup. It's a Fios G1100

Amazon.com: Verizon Fios G1100 | Updated 2019 Version | AC1750 WiFi G-1100 Quantum Gateway Router for Verizon Fios Internet Plans: Electronics

Buy Verizon Fios G1100 | Updated 2019 Version | AC1750 WiFi G-1100 Quantum Gateway Router for Verizon Fios Internet Plans: Routers - Amazon.com âś“ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Looks like there are still mesh options but I guess that limits me a little more.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
do we need an OT for this? Cause if we do and i create it its just going to be Ubiquiti Unifi, its the only thing you should consider imo.
its by a company producing enterprise grade equipment for consumer prices. They're other business does not involve selling your data and they dont require someones cloud or a cloud connection to work.

2 APs cover my house and the signal is so strong i can walk 300-400 ft away from my house and still have signal.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I really don't think there's a need to go WiFi 6 right now but I would verify if there's a need on the hardware side. That said, if cost is no problem, then I'm not seeing any downside beyond that. Maybe stability since WiFi 6 is so new, but I haven't kept up with the Orbi version of that mesh network.

Inspecting their current router, I didn't notice before that it also provides their cable hookup. It's a Fios G1100

Amazon.com: Verizon Fios G1100 | Updated 2019 Version | AC1750 WiFi G-1100 Quantum Gateway Router for Verizon Fios Internet Plans: Electronics

Buy Verizon Fios G1100 | Updated 2019 Version | AC1750 WiFi G-1100 Quantum Gateway Router for Verizon Fios Internet Plans: Routers - Amazon.com âś“ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Looks like there are still mesh options but I guess that limits me a little more.

You don't have to remove the cable modem out of the equation. You just keep it as a modem and attach your mesh network to it.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
do we need an OT for this? Cause if we do and i create it its just going to be Ubiquiti Unifi, its the only thing you should consider imo.
its by a company producing enterprise grade equipment for consumer prices. They're other business does not involve selling your data and they dont require someones cloud or a cloud connection to work.

2 APs cover my house and the signal is so strong i can walk 300-400 ft away from my house and still have signal.
I've seen a bunch of topics on this over the years, so an OT seems warranted at this point. And yeah, I avoid the Google and Amazon options for that reason. I suppose I have no reason to trust Netgear either but when your options are Amazon, Google or that company you've bought routers from for years, I went with the latter.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think there's a need to go WiFi 6 right now but I would verify if there's a need on the hardware side. That said, if cost is no problem, then I'm not seeing any downside beyond that. Maybe stability since WiFi 6 is so new, but I haven't kept up with the Orbi version of that mesh network.

You don't have to remove the cable modem out of the equation. You just keep it as a modem and attach your mesh network to it.
True, it just always seems weird to connect a router to a router and I know they'll think something is wrong with it.

MrFreeze

Oct 13, 2019
I have Google Wifi. It's a rock solid system, zero outages since I got it and the throughput is decent too. I will go for a Unifi system in my next system though. Although Google stresses that they won't use the data that they collect from your wifi system, I can't help but feel creeped out by it.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have Google Wifi. It's a rock solid system, zero outages since I got it and the throughput is decent too. I will go for a Unifi system in my next system though. Although Google stresses that they won't use the data that they collect from your wifi system, I can't help but feel creeped out by it.

I have the same and in the three years I've had it there has been no disruption other than rare ones caused by power outages. Even in that time I'm still a little weirded out by not having to reset anything, as every other router I've had needed to be manually rebooted at least every week or two.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

You can set it to bridge mode and disable its router functionality. It will just become a modem at that point.

Never use ISP provided routers. They're awful.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Are you referring to this?

store.ui.com

Access Point nanoHD

Dual-band, 802.11ac Wave 2 access point that can support over 200 clients with its 2+ Gbps aggregate throughput rate. The Access Point nanoHD (UAP nanoHD) is a compact, dual-band access point that can reach a 2+ Gbps aggregate throughput rate with its 5 GHz (4x4 MU-MIMO) and 2.4 GHz (2x2 MIMO)...

These all look like PoE which the house is definitely not set up for.

Or would I first need a base like this?
store.ui.com

Dream Machine

The Dream Machine (UDM) is an easy-to-use UniFi OS console with a built-in, high-performance WiFi access point. Designed for the UniFi Network application, the UDM offers an intuitive platform for home and enterprise users to build and manage small-scale wired or WiFi networks, monitor device...

.....an OT is a good idea.

I think I'm settling on just getting the same Orbi system I have and just bridging from their current router. 3 units, decent price, could get today.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
the latter, but its basically brand new.

I have the last generation stuff. But essentially you don't even need switches or routers from them, you can literally buy 2 or more APs from Ubiquiti UniFi system and plug them in (with PoE injectors) and still create a enterprise grade SSID that seamlessly carries your device no matter which AP your near.

maybe if i have time i'll start an OT.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Ubiquiti has native mesh kit, their AmpliFi line of gear. All-in-one out of the box.

Standard UniFi gear is also aces and there is mesh support in the line as well, like the UniFi BeaconHD. There's definitely more configuration involved and I find that the kit works much better with the APs connected via hardlines, but stability-wise they're second to none. Once you have a system configured it pretty much just runs forever.

Basic setup would be adding a couple of APs (like the NanoHD) to your network, installing the UniFi Network Controller on a machine in your network (Windows/Mac/Debian/Ubuntu) and configuring. If you wanted to go balls-to-the-wall and replace your entire setup, swapping out your router with the UniFi Dream Machine would give you a very powerful router + the UniFi Network Controller + a NanoHD AP all in one box, then you'd just have to add a second NanoHD to complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Ubiquiti has native mesh kit, their AmpliFi line of gear. All-in-one out of the box.

Standard UniFi gear is also aces and there is mesh support in the line as well, like the UniFi BeaconHD. There's definitely more configuration involved and I find that the kit works much better with the APs connected via hardlines, but stability-wise they're second to none. Once you have a system configured it pretty much just runs forever.

Basic setup would be adding a couple of APs (like the NanoHD) to your network, installing the UniFi Network Controller on a machine in your network (Windows/Mac/Debian/Ubuntu) and configuring. If you wanted to go balls-to-the-wall and replace your entire setup, swapping out your router with the UniFi Dream Machine would give you a very powerful router + the UniFi Network Controller + a NanoHD AP all in one box, then you'd just have to add a second NanoHD to complete.
I noticed this earlier, but AmpliFi appears to be out of stock sadly.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm settling on just getting the same Orbi system I have and just bridging from their current router. 3 units, decent price, could get today.

Just go with what you know. It's more than good enough. Just make sure you actually disable the router on your ISP provided gateway....you don't want to have a router behind a router if it can be avoided.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the latter, but its basically brand new.

I have the last generation stuff. But essentially you don't even need switches or routers from them, you can literally buy 2 or more APs from Ubiquiti UniFi system and plug them in (with PoE injectors) and still create a enterprise grade SSID that seamlessly carries your device no matter which AP your near.

maybe if i have time i'll start an OT.
I'd appreciate an OP on mesh as I've generally not worried about WiFi as the main entertainment room has the router there.

I think it's time to make improvements and ensure the whole house gets great WIFI signal, though being in the UK I don't know how that works with my current Cable ISP provided modem/router.

ps3ud0 8)