• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
While this murder by a police officer will be a one off (hopefully), guaranteed it's going to expose a whole bunch of systemic failures. No way he did this without reasonably thinking he could get away with it

RIP

You would have thought if anyone could get away with a crime like this, it would be someone who knows how murder cases are investigated. I'm surprised at how quickly it was resolved and the guy was arrested. Either he confessed or his partner turned him in.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
You would have thought if anyone could get away with a crime like this, it would be someone who knows how murder cases are investigated. I'm surprised at how quickly it was resolved and the guy was arrested. Either he confessed or his partner turned him in.
Not sure where they read it, but someone on the first page said he was spotted on a dash cam of a passing car in the same area that Sarah was last seen? Add that to the indecent exposure thing and that's probably set some alarm bells off.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Not sure where they read it, but someone on the first page said he was spotted on a dash cam of a passing car in the same area that Sarah was last seen? Add that to the indecent exposure thing and that's probably set some alarm bells off.

Still seems very quickly resolved. I guess the one benefit of everybody having CCTV is these crimes are probably less likely to happen and when they do more likely to be solved.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Still seems very quickly resolved. I guess the one benefit of everybody having CCTV is these crimes are probably less likely to happen and when they do more likely to be solved.
Yeah I agree it was quick. They went straight to the forest in Kent too so they definitely had some strong leads almost immediately.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Talking about how you make decisions to cross the road etc... is all very nice and well intentioned, but it's kind of a separate and nebulous issue. It's also the framing of all of this as individual responsibility. Yes, it's very good that more people take individual responsibility and scrutinise their behaviour, which will hopefully eventually lead to wider change, but it's not enough.

It's important to recognise it was not just a man who killed Sarah, but a police man, a man who has the uniform and carries the identity of the state. You can't solve this with more police on the streets, making more things a crime etc... They don't keep people safe on the streets now, and they aren't about to start.

What women experience in terms of harassment, abuse, violence etc... is horrific, and absolutely something that needs to be addressed much more significantly. However, that doesn't capture the full issue of this case, in which a police officer has likely abused their uniform/ID/authority in order to murder a young woman. There are a lot of important interventions which should be made for the safety of women, education, street lighting, transport infrastructure, affordable and safe public transport etc... but whilst these measures may increase the safety of people targeted by a random catcaller, assaulter or worse, they don't do anything to support someone who is approached by someone (a police officer) who knows they are above the law.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
And the descent into fascism continues
Normally I find the fascism comparisons way overblown, but that video is one of the first occasions where I've thought: "I genuinely don't recognise the place I live any more". There is absolutely zero rationale behind trying to cancel these vigils, and clearly no call whatsoever for anyone involved in them to be forcibly pulled off the streets.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the ghoulish defence for this will be from all the usual freaks. This isn't directly related to any ethnic minorities so they might have to get creative.

Then again, "women" as a broad stroke probably aren't much higher up their pecking order so I'm sure there'll be something.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Normally I find the fascism comparisons way overblown, but that video is one of the first occasions where I've thought: "I genuinely don't recognise the place I live any more". There is absolutely zero rationale behind trying to cancel these vigils, and clearly no call whatsoever for anyone involved in them to be forcibly pulled off the streets.

The current conservative government are clearly fascist, when taking into account the 14 common features of fascism (Ur means prime or base):

1. The cult of tradition. "One has only to look at the syllabus of every fascist movement to find the major traditionalist thinkers. The Nazi gnosis was nourished by traditionalist, syncretistic, occult elements."
  2. The rejection of modernism. "The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism."
  3. The cult of action for action's sake. "Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation."
  4. Disagreement is treason. "The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge."
  5. Fear of difference. "The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition."
  6. Appeal to social frustration. "One of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups."
  7. The obsession with a plot. "Thus at the root of the Ur-Fascist psychology there is the obsession with a plot, possibly an international one. The followers must feel besieged."
  8. The enemy is both strong and weak. "By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak."
  9. Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. "For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle."
  10. Contempt for the weak. "Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology."
  11. Everybody is educated to become a hero. "In Ur-Fascist ideology, heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death."
  12. Machismo and weaponry. "Machismo implies both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality."
  13. Selective populism. "There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People."
  14. Ur-Fascism speaks Newspeak. "All the Nazi or Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning.
A fascist movement does not need to exhibit all 14 features because fascism should be seen as a tool for gaining power and not an ideology in and of itself.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the ghoulish defence for this will be from all the usual freaks. This isn't directly related to any ethnic minorities so they might have to get creative.

Then again, "women" as a broad stroke probably aren't much higher up their pecking order so I'm sure there'll be something.

The 52% will just stick to "they've broken covid laws", of course. Fucking bootlickers.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Getting flashbacks to the protests last year here in America seeing this stuff. Sickening shit.

Oct 31, 2017
God, this shouldn't be shocking given that we live in a country where an entire police force and the scum press lied about Hillsborough for 30 years, but it still feels like an escalation. There is absolutely no justification for the police actions tonight.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
fuck the cops, the cunt was reported for indecent exposure and they did fuck all.

now they are abusing protesters

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering how tonight would go but the response from the police continues to be the worst possible option at every point during this.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Kate Middleton was able to attend the vigil earlier, without a mask, to ensure she got her photo opportunity.

For reference, other women were warned of heavy fines should they attend.

slider

Nov 10, 2020

Accepted although it was a gut instinct "glad they got the fucker" reaction.

I'd been in comms with a couple of folk I know who're in South West London who were really shaken by the news so, knowing what throwing resource at an issue can do, it was a hurried acknowledgement of that.

Since then though... Ugh. So much stink around the police.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Cops are trained to be violent thugs themselves. Fucking disgraceful behaviour.
Girls, reclaim the streets!

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
"Siri, show me the worst possible reaction the police could had tonight, also considering one of them (most likely) killed Sarah"

Fucking hell, disgusting.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Isn't this just the same distraction USA police use after they murder an unarmed suspect or similar? These images will be on the front pages tomorrow instead of the face of the victim. Job done.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
what a horrible fucking way to police these gatherings, completely tone deaf and completely counterproductive to their own image

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Kate Middleton was able to attend the vigil earlier, without a mask, to ensure she got her photo opportunity.

For reference, other women were warned of heavy fines should they attend.

If she really wanted to make a difference she should have stuck around to ward the police off this evening.

Priti Patel should be out on her ear.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, entirely in line with their image. The met have always been massive, gigantic cunts.

I meant at a time when they should be working to improve their image and inspire confidence, this is completely self-defeating.

whoever agreed to this as a tactic at an operational level should be getting scrutinised.

Edit: Some political reaction:

Also glad that the Beeb have updated their headline to "Police clash with women at Clapham vigil" - which is straight to the point but also highlights how fucking awful this looks for the Met from an optics point of view. Today of all days...

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah exactly, and it was a crazy distance away in such short a time. The whole case is very strange, and of course tragic.
Did the police find the human remains in the forest? If that's not known, then maybe someone else called the police after stumbling across the victim. Would explain how they went there so quickly

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
via Guardian liveblog

www.theguardian.com

Met police criticised for 'deeply disturbing' handling of Clapham Common vigil - as it happened

Despite ban on gathering, crowds clashed with police while elsewhere Reclaim These Streets held virtual events and doorstep vigils

"While the vigil in Clapham, south London, was largely peaceful, scuffles broke out at the front of a crowd of hundreds as police surrounded a bandstand covered in floral tributes to the 33-year-old.

At one stage, male officers could be seen grabbing hold of several women before leading them away in handcuffs, to shouts and screams from onlookers. In response, the crowd chanted "shame on you", while during another confrontation a distressed woman could be heard telling officers "you're supposed to protect us"."

Says it all.

The role of the police is to enforce the will of the government. Cunt government = cunt police.

And part of how they can effectively enforce that will has to be done via the public having confidence in them, this is antithesis to that given the context