absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
"Aggression" is probably defined somewhere in the study, and it was probably measured by "play this shooting game and then we're gonna observe you for the next X hours"

Whether or not the change in aggression is persistent over sustained periods of time is the issue. But it's not surprising. White adolescents raging over video games and sustaining that rage immediately post playtime is not surprising.
Nothing so scientific.

Examples of physical aggression included incidents such as hitting someone or being sent to the principal's office for fighting, and were based on self-reports by children, parents, teachers and peers.

Meta-analysis (the junk science of statistics), coupled with self-reporting means it's worth very little.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
If the study is right, then it's a "white gamer problem" and not all gamers. And in my purely conjectural analysis, Japanese people created and play video game and yet dont seem to have rage problems.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that it just takes something you like to ignore any possible data that criticizes it.

People go directly into defense mode when a hobby of theirs is put into a bad light.

Lots of comparisons to be made across the aisle.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
With all the "violent games = violent people" stuff I just never see how, same with violent movies and that. I can see how a violent person could get inspired by them though, like the gory fatalities in MK or some stuff in some slasher films. I've always thought you are more likely to be more violent/agressive after a frustrating game. I know I'm chill and calm almost all the time but after some annoying rounds of a competitive game then I'm more irritable because I'm frustrated and annoyed. The same sort of way that sports fans get irritated when their team is losing or makes bad plays. The same way people get frustrated and irritated at all kinds of other things. I think that leads to violent and aggressive behaviour and obviously, even then, depends on the individual and how tolerant and calm they are in the face of such frustrations.

In kids, (like little kids) seeing violent stuff can definitely lead to violence and aggression, but more because kids see something on a TV and then want to do it. So they see a guy beat the shit out of another guy and then they'll do that to you because it was on TV and was "cool". Same way my nephew watches a bunch of Marvel and other superhero things and likes to jump around and climb everything because the cool people on TV do it. I don't really see this sort of thing affecting more mature children and adults, but can definitely see frustrating things pushing certain people to be more aggressive.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Keep an eye on your kids. Don't allow them to rage like a fucking maniac or foul mouth others when they're playing. And send them outside a lot to just play with friends. Teach the to be humble and kind. Don't let them game for hours and hours on end. Of course this will be more difficult when they grow older but it all starts there. It won't stop every case but it's a start for sure. Same with movies, etc. Talk about it with them. Share your concerns, etc.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see how these results would be different looking at the last 3 years or so compared to what is there now. From the sources, there were only 3 that were conducted after 2016, and without looking at them right now, my guess is the actual study portion was earlier than that. People are definitely more emboldened to be awful people in games now than what I recall in the past (anecdotal) so I'm wondering if that would translate outside of the games as well.

Also anecdotal, but I've seen just as much vitriol from Rocket League and FIFA as I have seen from Call of Duty. I'm curious to look into some other games that they have looked at other than the "violent" ones.

Aug 11, 2018
Kentucky
I feel like learning about world wars in history class is worse than violent video games. Reality has always been more disturbing to me. I think violence is more of a cultural problem than a video game problem.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like learning about world wars in history class is worse than violent video games. Reality has always been more disturbing to me. I think violence is more of a cultural problem than a video game problem.
America's puritan background is definitely largely to blame, and why the country loses its mind at nudity but loves guns and bloody ultraviolence

I'm not sure if video game subculture creates that aggression or if aggressive/hateful people are just gravitating to video games (ie Gamergate, Bannon, Mark Judge, the alt right in general).

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that there's a correlation I bet the next time an unarmed White teen farmer gets gunned down in South Africa, their media will smear him by going over his Trophy list.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
America's puritan background is definitely largely to blame, and why the country loses its mind at nudity but loves guns and bloody ultraviolence

I'm not sure if video game subculture creates that aggression or if aggressive/hateful people are just gravitating to video games (ie Gamergate, Bannon, Mark Judge, the alt right in general).

It could be that the culture we consume has an impact on how we percieve the world.

But that's just crazy talk.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
"In addition to providing evidence that violent video game play is associated with increased aggression over time, the study also reports that this effect appears to be significantly different for various ethnic groups: the largest effect was observed among white participants, with some effect noted among Asians and no effect observed among Hispanics. Although speculative, the authors suggest that this effect may reflect a greater emphasis on maintaining empathy toward victims of aggression among Eastern and Hispanic cultures in contrast to an emphasis on "rugged individualism" in Western cultures."

Sounds more cultural to me than really the games themselves. Been playing some violent shit since Mortal Kombat. Zero violent tendencies. Same with every person I knew playing that shit growing up. Then again there were limits and we couldn't gorge 16 hours a day as kids. No idea how shit is now.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Although most researchers on the subject agree that playing violent video games appears to increase physical aggression, a vocal minority continues to dispute this.

Isn't this BS though? I could have sworn the majority of studies that were done on this subject years ago, didn't find any evidence of games causing an increase in violence. They only found it could cause aggression in the moment, similar to any other competitive activity.

Maybe things have changed though, online gaming is way bigger now than back when those past studies were done, and there is just so much toxic behavior online these days.

Although, considering this study also states they didn't find any changes whatsoever in Hispanics, makes me continue to believe that games aren't really the problem.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
When an article starts off with basically, "everybody smart already believes this", it kind of makes it difficult to take it seriously. And since this seems to rely on all previous studies which frankly had some clear issues in their practices - not establishing baselines using non-violent but competitive games, not comparing to viewing other violent mediums - what is the new conclusion?

Actually reading the article reinforces this as it doesn't address these basic issues.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The study builds on the research team's growing body of work that investigates the impact of video games on children's behavior, including the link between mature-rated, risk-glorifying video games and deviant behavior (e.g., smoking, drinking, and risky sex) and the association between playing these type of video games and reckless driving among teens.
Video games and reckless driving

That's a stretch.
My video game risk-taking or video game driving has nothing to do with IRL driving.

May 21, 2018
If the study is right, then it's a "white gamer problem" and not all gamers. And in my purely conjectural analysis, Japanese people created and play video game and yet dont seem to have rage problems.

Not only different culture, but the kind of games they make are different. Japanese games can be violent but it's usually as a horror game, or monster-slaying like Bloodborne. In comparison, a lot more Western games exist where the act of violence is an empowerment, not a survival measure, and where violence is committed against other human beings, not monsters.

There's games like Yakuza and Metal Gear Solid, but then on the other side you've got God of War, the yearly Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, GTA, etc, etc.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Videogames are one element in a complex cultural stew that influences or thoughts, feelings, and actions, yes. That stew is different for everyone, too.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
U0YlrTTCYi550Z4py1MNVenNt-E1oi5vqbMX2nSIAvMVfGW-XDI9VOPjUOa9wKI7fnxsoWyv7kLrHKfJg7iMGIpDNvNC99uBoQXMbuTEqsqTzvYVcBkSKamYcIRn7E0bTHAFop3w

Violent crime is on a slight uptick, but I'm not sure we can blame violent behavior in general on violent media since you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that there is less of it today then there was in 1990.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
It's time we come up with a video game code like the movies and comics before (I'm just curious how video games would be).

Oct 25, 2017
U0YlrTTCYi550Z4py1MNVenNt-E1oi5vqbMX2nSIAvMVfGW-XDI9VOPjUOa9wKI7fnxsoWyv7kLrHKfJg7iMGIpDNvNC99uBoQXMbuTEqsqTzvYVcBkSKamYcIRn7E0bTHAFop3w

Violent crime is on a slight uptick, but I'm not sure we can blame violent behavior in general on violent media since you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that there is less of it today then there was in 1990.

Counterpoint: NES games (1983-1991)

He's called the Angry Nintendo Nerd for a reason, son.

I mean, if you're playing this spurious connection game, then you should probably also realize that this chart correlates PERFECTLY with games getting easier.
(however, since this is the USA only, you can also correlate it perfectly with racial tensions all the way from 1962 to today. I mean, you don't think the increase in 'violent crime' is just a statistically coincidental overlap with the civil rights movement, right? Criminalizing minorities is kind of a thing... )

I do sense a correlation, but not causation outside of maybe white people, since the speculative argument makes sense when you consider whites have no reason to be acutely aware of the overwhelming racial and sexist biases as they exist in video games.
Put differently, they have no reason not to feel entitled to being angry, since there is no "wrong" for them in it. it's worth exploring anyway.