• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Waiting on reviews, but 95% I'm jumping in. I want to know about issues with tracking, headband, PCVR streaming, and how it handles outside.

Also...
Can someone tell me if the Meta+ is worth it? I don't fully understand how the service works from the website, it seems kind of like a "Humble Trove" with 2 random games a month? So you get 12 games after the 6 months?

And lastly, do recent VR headsets still have the issue that you have to store them in a box or you risk burning your lenses?
I had a Rift S and it got lense burn from indirect sunlight, just sitting outside (fortunately Facebook replaced the headset).
how do you guys tackle that?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Well obviously they're going to promote the biggest defining difference between this and the Quest 2, which is the new passthrough. The VR experience is going to be even better with the new lenses and more than twice the power, but that's a harder thing to advertise and it's not going to swing many people who aren't already interested in VR.

Personally I'm very excited for the mixed reality stuff if for nothing more than the workout apps. Not having to worry about accidentally punching my furniture or stepping on my dog is going to be so much better. Often times I'm working out in the basement and the ceilings are barely over 7 feet so I frequently end up hitting the ceiling during the workouts if I swing too hard in Beat Saber lol.

I mainly jumped in for PCVR and for the pancake lens, but as I see more examples of mixed reality gameplay and uses for it, The lego game MR looks ok, but even Synth Riders adding it in (has me potentially interested enough that maybe I'd double dip from PSVR2 dunno), and obviously the best use would be fitness stuff I agree, now I am very much looking forward to this headset for its mixed reality potential as well as just the general pancake IQ and PCVR uses.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Waiting on reviews, but 95% I'm jumping in. I want to know about issues with tracking, headband, PCVR streaming, and how it handles outside.

Also...
Can someone tell me if the Meta+ is worth it? I don't fully understand how the service works from the website, it seems kind of like a "Humble Trove" with 2 random games a month? So you get 12 games after the 6 months?

And lastly, do recent VR headsets still have the issue that you have to store them in a box or you risk burning your lenses?
I had a Rift S and it got lense burn from indirect sunlight, just sitting outside (fortunately Facebook replaced the headset).
how do you guys tackle that?

Meta+ I would say is definitely worth it if you don't already have a lot of games on the platform. So far the monthly games have been solid picks. Only good games. It works precisely as the monthly games in PS Plus Essential. You get a couple of games each month (remember to claim them) which are yours for as long as you subscribe. If you stop your subscription you lose access and if you later resub, then you get access to the games you claimed while being subbed again.

You should never use a VR headset outside unless you can 100% guarantee you won't be in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight on a camera lens for prolonged periods can kill the lens. When storing the headset on a shelf, the same thing can happen to the screen panels if the eye lenses are hit by sunlight for longer periods since they focus light.

I just store my headset on a shelf where the headset does not reach. Or a drawer when not using it for longer periods. If that's impractical, then just put a piece of cloth over the part of the headset that the sun's rays will reach on the shelf where you store it. Or put it in the box it comes in. Or, if you get the official battery strap, put it in the carrying case that it comes with.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I mainly jumped in for PCVR and for the pancake lens, but as I see more examples of mixed reality gameplay and uses for it, The lego game MR looks ok, but even Synth Riders adding it in (has me potentially interested enough that maybe I'd double dip from PSVR2 dunno), and obviously the best use would be fitness stuff I agree, now I am very much looking forward to this headset for its mixed reality potential as well as just the general pancake IQ and PCVR uses.

I think you will be surprised how much fun regular VR standalone games will be. There is a lot to be said for the practicality of just putting it on and then you're playing.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Meta+ I would say is definitely worth it if you don't already have a lot of games on the platform. So far the monthly games have been solid picks. Only good games. It works precisely as the monthly games in PS Plus Essential. You get a couple of games each month (remember to claim them) which are yours for as long as you subscribe. If you stop your subscription you lose access and if you later resub, then you get access to the games you claimed while being subbed again.

You should never use a VR headset outside unless you can 100% guarantee you won't be in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight on a camera lens for prolonged periods can kill the lens. When storing the headset on a shelf, the same thing can happen to the screen panels if the eye lenses are hit by sunlight for longer periods since they focus light.

I just store my headset on a shelf where the headset does not reach. Or a drawer when not using it for longer periods. If that's impractical, then just put a piece of cloth over the part of the headset that the sun's rays will reach on the shelf where you store it. Or put it in the box it comes in. Or, if you get the official battery strap, put it in the carrying case that it comes with.

O you have to stay subscribed... I'm good then, not worth it for me.

Thanks for the info. Can you play outside if it's overcast? Or closer to dusk? I thought the issue with direct sunlight was hitting the lenses you look through, not the camera ones on the front. How do phones avoid this issue?
The only issue I heard about outside was worse tracking because the controllers work with IR tracking, but I guess it's worse than that.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Thanks for the info. Can you play outside if it's overcast? Or closer to dusk? I thought the issue with direct sunlight was hitting the lenses you look through, not the camera ones on the front. How do phones avoid this issue?
The only issue I heard about outside was worse tracking because the controllers work with IR tracking, but I guess it's worse than that.
If you get the 512GB version you get 6 months of Meta+. I'll give it a try and see if the games I get during those 6 months are worth it to stay subbed. I already have most of the stuff I wanted, but if you are starting new I can see there being a few good games.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

You can play outside if it's overcast. Some people have played games in their huge back garden. Just be aware of the risk. When you're playing, you won't know if the skies clear.

With phones, you would have the same issue if the camera app was running constantly, but it isn't so the lens shutter is closed. With vr, as long as the headset is on, the shutter is open.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing how this reviews. Interested in how much of an upgrade this actually is. Also curious about how the controllers feel with something like Beat Saber. The Quest 2's controllers suck so much.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Looking forward to seeing how this reviews. Interested in how much of an upgrade this actually is. Also curious about how the controllers feel with something like Beat Saber. The Quest 2's controllers suck so much.

What's wrong with the Q2 controllers? I found them quite good.

I don't want to waste yours. It's saying when I activate a Quest 2.

No waste possible. He can refer as many people he wants to.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the Q2 controllers? I found them quite good.
I don't feel like they're even remotely comfortable to hold, and the rings at the ends suck.

I feel like something like the Index's controllers feel more like holding a sword, whereas the Quest 2 controllers are more like a gun or something, hence why a lot of Beat Saber players end up needing to hold the Quest 2's controllers with a claw grip:

mqdefault.jpg

Edit: I think that's a Quest 1 controller in the pic, but they're basically the same, and now that I look at it, the Quest 3 controller might literally be the same thing again minus the ring.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I should be able to test on both a 3080 and 4080 so I'll let you all know if AV1 makes a noticeable difference.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like they're even remotely comfortable to hold, and the rings at the ends suck.

I feel like something like the Index's controllers feel more like holding a sword, whereas the Quest 2 controllers are more like a gun or something, hence why a lot of Beat Saber players end up needing to hold the Quest 2's controllers with a claw grip:

mqdefault.jpg

Edit: I think that's a Quest 1 controller in the pic, but they're basically the same, and now that I look at it, the Quest 3 controller might literally be the same thing again minus the ring.
Sorry, but that picture is the stupiest thing I've seen today and I never read about that before. This is hilarious. Quest controllers are totally fine IMHO.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It pretty much is. The only issue I can foresee with the claw grip is that it covers some of the tracking LEDs on the Touch Plus but I'm thinking the hand tracking should compensate for that.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but that picture is the stupiest thing I've seen today and I never read about that before. This is hilarious. Quest controllers are totally fine IMHO.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on with that "Claw" grip. The only issue I have with the Quest controllers (in general) is that they just don't adopt knuckle straps like the Index. Thankfully third party ones come cheap.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even know WTF is going on in that claw photo. The Quest controllers fit great in my hands. I never thought I had small hands. I can palm a basketball, so it's not like they're tiny.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
If these actually work on Quest 3, I assume there's going to be another thread?

Not by me this time. I used way too much time to keep everything tidy. Cut in badly on my free time. Meant I played less than I otherwise would have.

Where do people find the app referral links for 25% off? I like to send it to my real life friends.

I can only find the referal for the headset at https://secure.oculus.com/my/referrals/

In the app, go to the page of the game in question. Press the three dots to the right of the gift button.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It pretty much is. The only issue I can foresee with the claw grip is that it covers some of the tracking LEDs on the Touch Plus but I'm thinking the hand tracking should compensate for that.
Maybe their hand tracking is good enough to have you hold a small rod/handle or you just clench your fist to hold the saber.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Really intrigued by this for PCVR, specifically sim racing. I was just playing on my VIVE Pro and thinking about how I'd love a thinner, lighter, more comfortable headset and to lose the base stations would be nice - getting everything set up in my racing rig with the VIVE is kind of awkward.

Would this still be eligible to get Rx lenses now that they're pancake?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
You don't see how a tiny controller held like a gun might not be ideal for a game about swinging a sword?
Don't you just have the opposite problem when it's a game where you're shooting a gun? Either way I've never noticed anything weird when I'm holding a sword in a game. I orient my wrist as if I'm holding a sword and it's feels natural in the game.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be interested in seeing what people think of this. I don't see myself getting one for quite a while due to the price (not that I don't think it's probably worth it), but the better specs compared to the Quest 2 have me wanting one.

Also worried that AC: Nexus will run like crap on Quest 2 compared to the 3, lol.

Somewhat unrelated, but are the Pro controllers worth the cost? Better tracking and being able to move my hands more freely in games like VRChat and Beat Saber sounds nice...

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I'll be interested in seeing what people think of this. I don't see myself getting one for quite a while due to the price (not that I don't think it's probably worth it), but the better specs compared to the Quest 2 have me wanting one.

Also worried that AC: Nexus will run like crap on Quest 2 compared to the 3, lol.

Somewhat unrelated, but are the Pro controllers worth the cost? Better tracking and being able to move my hands more freely in games like VRChat and Beat Saber sounds nice...

It's quite rare that Quest games run bad. I think Bonelab is the only one where I've experienced actual big framedrops consistently. I would expect Nexus will probably run fine frameratewise on Quest 2. Unlike the Quest 3, it still supports 72fps which is totally fine as long as it's stable. They will probably lower the resolution a bit, cut back on NPCs and the textures will be smaller.

The Pro controllers are fantastic. The gold standard when it comes to vr controllers. That being said, I would definitely wait and see how you get on with the new Touch Plus controllers before getting the pros.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is the only difference between the 128 and 512gb models storage size? Thinking of grabbing this primarily to replace my OG Vive for PC VR (currently use an Asus AX86U router so hopefully that can produce good wireless results)

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is the only difference between the 128 and 512gb models storage size? Thinking of grabbing this primarily to replace my OG Vive for PC VR (currently use an Asus AX86U router so hopefully that can produce good wireless results)
Yes but the 512 GB one comes with 6 months of their subscription service or whatever

For PCVR purposes they're identical

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Going by Reddit, it seems like the review embargo might be ending tomorrow evening? It's just one Youtuber stating this, but he's generally reliable with things like this.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Also waiting on reviews here, I returned my quest 2 earlier this year in anticipation of this and I just need the good word

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get the referral thread going again?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I saw you guys discussing the "claw grip" and I just happened to come across this:
www.youtube.com

FReality Podcast – The Atom Takeover: Meta Connect, SteamVR Update & More – Ep.235

Join us live with Atom at the helm (hi!) discussing Zim's on-the-ground experience with the newly announced Meta Quest 3 and more! We'll also dive into the S...
This is from the F.Reality Podcast. Zimtok5 has the headset and was answering questions. At around 1:49:00 he mentions holding the controller that way and says it never lost tracking.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Will I be able to walk into best buy on tuesday and just pick one up? or have to preorder?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Going by Reddit, it seems like the review embargo might be ending tomorrow evening? It's just one Youtuber stating this, but he's generally reliable with things like this.

Oh hell yeah, can't wait to see impressions and more deep dive testing, will hold me over til people in the OT get theirs and post more hands on and cool stuff.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
1-D_FE Are you going to receive your Quest 3 on launch day?

I have it preordered, but I live on a kinda remote island, so I will not receive it on launch day. When you get yours could you confirm if the referral for the $30 coupon worked when activating the Quest 3? I'm very interested!

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but the 512 GB one comes with 6 months of their subscription service or whatever

For PCVR purposes they're identical
Thanks. Might go with the 128 then.

Checking out a local BB right now. Was told some kids wrecked one of the demo units

3Kn20Xd.jpg

The other one worked, but didn't have a strap so I couldn't test the fit. Also sucks that the controllers are bolted to the table so the demo was more of just a video

HexedHavoc

May 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
User warned: Spamming referral links across multiple posts
I've updated my link with about 33 of the best games (and virtual desktop) available with 25% off :)
Mod edit: Referral link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Tagging for tuesday. Cant eait. My only other vr experience was the og psvr.

think this will be huge upgrade