• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna buy the headset today on my way home.

So... Is there a consensus on what is the best third party head strap?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The S3 does look nice but looks like it's not available in Canada. Ordered the Kiwi one.

Thanks for the recs!

I also have the Kiwi. I used the DAS for the Quest 1 and 2. And even bought an adapter for the Q3. But IMO the Kiwi is just more comfortable and it finally made me ditch the DAS. That may or may not mean anything to you, but I'm just saying it's a nice strap for the money.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I also have the Kiwi. I used the DAS for the Quest 1 and 2. And even bought an adapter for the Q3. But IMO the Kiwi is just more comfortable and it finally made me ditch the DAS. That may or may not mean anything to you, but I'm just saying it's a nice strap for the money.
I was using the DAS on my Quest 1 as well! Glad to hear that it's even better.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... So I bought the headset and did the basic setup. I got the mail for my copy of Asgard's Wrath 2 but it doesn't seem to work?

I have redeemed it on the website but I'm not seeing it in the library when looking inside the headset.

The strangest thing is that Asgard's Wrath 1 showed up in my PC Meta Quest Link library!?

Is there some kind of delay between the time you buy something on the website and before it shows up in the library?

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Hmm... So I bought the headset and did the basic setup. I got the mail for my copy of Asgard's Wrath 2 but it doesn't seem to work?

I have redeemed it on the website but I'm not seeing it in the library when looking inside the headset.

The strangest thing is that Asgard's Wrath 1 showed up in my PC Meta Quest Link library!?

Is there some kind of delay between the time you buy something on the website and before it shows up in the library?

Usually instant for me, do you have your library filtered to installed games only? There's a drop down in the upper right.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I just checked again and it was there now so I guess it just took some time (my filters were ok).

As a sidenote, I just had a "cool moment"... I put on the headset and it went straight into the passthrough in a way that was so seemless that it felt like I just put on glasses instead of a VR headset. That was cool as fuck haha.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Arcade Paradise just shipped. If you haven't played the flat version it's highly recommended. Support for 90fps on Quest, no reprojection garbage, nice CRT shaders, new arcade games for VR. They get it.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I've been using my Quest laying down or sitting with headrest a lot these days and it's super uncomfortable with a lump of plastic of the other straps on the back of my head so I'm now back to using stock strap.
I wish someone would come up with a way to make a comfortable strap without hard plastic on the back. Stock strap is a bit more bearable with AMVR facial interface but it still sucks for longer sessions.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I've been using my Quest laying down or sitting with headrest a lot these days and it's super uncomfortable with a lump of plastic of the other straps on the back of my head so I'm now back to using stock strap.
I wish someone would come up with a way to make a comfortable strap without hard plastic on the back. Stock strap is a bit more bearable with AMVR facial interface but it still sucks for longer sessions.

It's difficult. If you want good balance, you need weight at the back, which means a battery. Or something heavy at least. Heavy and soft is a difficult mix.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I got my Quest 3 in yesterday, I messed around with VD and Quest Link (cable) a bit, and I've settled in on 800Mbps H264 @ 120Hz for the cable, and 200Mbps AV1 @ 90Hz for VD. Seems to work quite well, and it's surprising how AV1 looks quite a bit better in Moss even with H264 using 4x the bitrate.

Comfort is pretty good, though I can't wait for my prescription lenses to get in so I can have the full FOV. It's still markedly better than PSVR1 while wearing my glasses at least.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna buy the headset today on my way home.

So... Is there a consensus on what is the best third party head strap?

I went with bobo

I literally just bought my Quest 3 2 days ago, upgraded from my OG Oculus Rift that Ive been using for 7 years now.....

ill def say, the vanilla headstrap is just SOOOOOO bad. literally hurts the back of my head/neck

My only issue is....Old Oculus Rift games...
it seems the only way to play those games are when you use App link or Quest link? but it seems everytime I want to use App Link or Quest Link, I need to repair which is annoying as shit.
It seems I can't use VD for my Old Oculus Rift games purchased on Rift store?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm planning on mostly using the headset for PC VR but are there any Quest exclusive games I should really look into? Especially since there's a sale on the store right now.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm planning on mostly using the headset for PC VR but are there any Quest exclusive games I should really look into? Especially since there's a sale on the store right now.

I'm curious, as well.

I bought the Les Mills Bodycombat or whatever, but that's an exercise app and not a game, really. Most of the other "must haves" that I own I own on Steam instead.

Pistol Whip is amazing, I'm not sure if it's on sale or not.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Arcade Paradise just shipped. If you haven't played the flat version it's highly recommended. Support for 90fps on Quest, no reprojection garbage, nice CRT shaders, new arcade games for VR. They get it.

Am I wrong for thinking things would have been much better @ 120hz? Isn't this an emulator thing? 120hz would be way better for the 60hz games than 90.

I went with bobo

I literally just bought my Quest 3 2 days ago, upgraded from my OG Oculus Rift that Ive been using for 7 years now.....

ill def say, the vanilla headstrap is just SOOOOOO bad. literally hurts the back of my head/neck

My only issue is....Old Oculus Rift games...
it seems the only way to play those games are when you use App link or Quest link? but it seems everytime I want to use App Link or Quest Link, I need to repair which is annoying as shit.
It seems I can't use VD for my Old Oculus Rift games purchased on Rift store?

You've always been able to run Rift SDK games on VD. Not sure why you're having issues. Unless maybe you're talking DK1 stuff? I'm not sure why any CV1 era stuff is giving you issues. I've run quite a few Rift only games on VD over the years.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's no reason to have the Oculus app on PC anymore other than if you own Oculus PC games? I have the three Vader games and the Phantom Cover Ops game on PC but other than that, since I use Virtual Desktop I don't need Quest Link at all... I find the official app so annoying and cumbersome.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I guess there's no reason to have the Oculus app on PC anymore other than if you own Oculus PC games? I have the three Vader games and the Phantom Cover Ops game on PC but other than that, since I use Virtual Desktop I don't need Quest Link at all... I find the official app so annoying and cumbersome.

If you want to use a wire (it's worthwhile for higher bitrates + 120Hz) you'll want to keep it installed.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Am I wrong for thinking things would have been much better @ 120hz? Isn't this an emulator thing? 120hz would be way better for the 60hz games than 90.

Speaking as a quest dev, it's really really really hard to hit 120fps on that hardware. If you hit 72 on Quest 2 you can usually squeak it out to 90 on Quest 3 tho.

Arcade Paradise is a laundromat/Arcade management simulator that has a bunch of crazy original games that you can play. For emulation you might be thinking of EmuVR or Age of Joy, which has gotten crazy in the last month or two with a bunch of new people helping out. In that case the frame rate synchronization is a huge problem, in Arcade Paradise they can just retarget the original games to 72 or 90, but in the emulated stuff those games are locked to 59.97fps and you can't cleanly convert that to 72, 60, or 90, and the hardware isn't good enough for you to generate intermediary frames for frame blending.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wanting to get one of these but damn is that price just out of the range I want to spend right now. What are the odds of a price drop or discount this holiday?

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You've always been able to run Rift SDK games on VD. Not sure why you're having issues. Unless maybe you're talking DK1 stuff? I'm not sure why any CV1 era stuff is giving you issues. I've run quite a few Rift only games on VD over the years.
When I click on Rift games on VD, it says I need to use Quest link Air link...idk what to tell you. It refuses to let me play rift games unless im connected with Airlink/questlink

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I'm wanting to get one of these but damn is that price just out of the range I want to spend right now. What are the odds of a price drop or discount this holiday?

Incredibly low considering the Quest 3 Lite is expected around that time.

Keeping the price as is but increasing storage from 128GB to 256GB in the base Q3 model seems very likely though.

When I click on Rift games on VD, it says I need to use Quest link Air link...idk what to tell you. It refuses to let me play rift games unless im connected with Airlink/questlink

What happens if you connect via VD and then just go to your desktop, open the Oculus app and launch the game from there? Or is that what you are doing?

If yes, then try linking up your Oculus account with VD. You do that in the VD streamer app. Then you should be able to launch the games from VD itself like the Steam games.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about picking up that Xbox Edition Quest whenever it releases. What's the general consensus between a Wifi 6 router vs an Airlink Bridge for connectivity?

Abdozer

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone who has the official elite battery strap: how exactly are you supposed to "turn on" the headset? There's the Quest 3 power button that tells me the battery level on-screen when I put on the headset and then I have to do another quick, almost long press to actually turn the headset on. Is this right? lol I just feel like it's supposed to be a little seamless than that.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Argh... For some reason I'm not able to connect through Quest Link at all this morning, both wired and wireless just get stuck on the three dots loading screen whenever I try to connect. I've restarted the app on PC multiple times and restarted the Oculus service but same thing. This is the first time I try with the USB cable but the Air Link was working fine yesterday.

On the other hand, Virtual Desktop is booting fine but then whenever I try to boot Phantom: Covert Ops (the only game I have on the PC Oculus store) it goes into full screen and just stays there on a black screen.

I tried Alyx and it booted just fine through Steam VR and then I tried Butts on the Oculus Store and that booted fine too so it seems like this might be a Phantom specific issue?

I really despise the Oculus PC App...what a piece of shit program. Thankfully VD + Steam VR will give me 99% of what I need but I really wanted to go back to Phantom Covert Ops cause I never finished it back in the days when I first bought it.

On a completely different subject, I just looked up Quest+ since it has a free month trial and does their big subscription service really only has 14 games? What....

Edit: Ok, I got Phantom Covert Ops working! I found this https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues..._anyone_gotten_phantom_covert_ops_working_on/ where the Virtual Desktop dev says you need to press Thumbstick + A when you're on the black screen and the game will boot and sure enough lol... So now my only problem left is the Quest Link not working at all...

Last edited:

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
For anyone who has the official elite battery strap: how exactly are you supposed to "turn on" the headset? There's the Quest 3 power button that tells me the battery level on-screen when I put on the headset and then I have to do another quick, almost long press to actually turn the headset on. Is this right? lol I just feel like it's supposed to be a little seamless than that.

This has nothing to do with the Elite Battery Strap.

If the headset is in sleep mode, you press the power button once or just put it on (unless you have turned off the auto wake from sleep option).

If the headset is fully powered off, you hold down the power button till you see the Oculus logo. You don't need to press twice. The first press is merely if you DON'T want to turn it on but are curious to see what the charge is.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
On a completely different subject, I just looked up Quest+ since it has a free month trial and does their big subscription service really only has 14 games? What....

Well...it used to be only 2 games a month until a month ago. Yea, the service kinda sucks. I didn't activate my free 6 month subscription for buying my Quest 3 and only missed one game I didn't have for $15 in those 6 months so no huge loss (it was NFL Pro Era and I got NFL Pro Era II on sale for $20 later so I have the better game anyway with better visuals). Didn't you get a free 6 month trail for getting the quest 3? Also if you get a year subscription they give you $25 back (making a year $35 instead of $60). Ends next month. I hope you got the free $30/$60 for accepting someone's referral when you set up the headset.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Well...it used to be only 2 games a month until a month ago. Yea, the service kinda sucks. I didn't activate my free 6 month subscription for buying my Quest 3 and only missed one game I didn't have for $15 in those 6 months so no huge loss (it was NFL Pro Era and I got NFL Pro Era II on sale for $20 later so I have the better game anyway with better visuals). Didn't you get a free 6 month trail for getting the quest 3? Also if you get a year subscription they give you $25 back (making a year $35 instead of $60). Ends next month. I hope you got the free $30/$60 for accepting someone's referral when you set up the headset.
Wasn't aware of the referral stuff...

The 6 months of Quest+ promo is only for the 512gb model, the 128gb model only get Asgard's Wrath 2.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has a Canadian account referral link? I just tried with a US account and it didn't work but I'm seeing Canadian people on Reddit who have referral link so I assume I just need one from the same region. I'd much prefer to get one from a user here than from a rando on Reddit!

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has a Canadian account referral link? I just tried with a US account and it didn't work but I'm seeing Canadian people on Reddit who have referral link so I assume I just need one from the same region. I'd much prefer to get one from a user here than from a rando on Reddit!
DMed you mine.

Abdozer

Oct 28, 2017
This has nothing to do with the Elite Battery Strap.

If the headset is in sleep mode, you press the power button once or just put it on (unless you have turned off the auto wake from sleep option).

If the headset is fully powered off, you hold down the power button till you see the Oculus logo. You don't need to press twice. The first press is merely if you DON'T want to turn it on but are curious to see what the charge is.
Gotcha. I forgot to mention that I do keep my headset powered off when I'm not using it so I figured that was the case anyway. Appreciate the insight!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked up that Medal of Honor game that looks kind of all right and wut....lmao

Update (December 10th, 2020): While Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond was originally planned to require 340GB of free space for its installation process of the Oculus version (resulting in a final instal size of 170GB), Oculus says it has optimized the process such that it will now only required 180GB to install. While still a massive game, this will make it significantly easier to squeeze onto your drive. Be sure to update to the latest version of the Oculus PC software.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the Quest 3 last week, Love it. I still use my PSVR2 for co-op Legendary Tales. But all my spare time now is in the Quest. First person tennis is wonderful, Just got update 4.7. Golf+ is great, Augmented reality is a game changer, The thrill of the fight with pass through is insane, Having a boxing bout whilst his in the living room with me!

Big screen VR is brilliant, Best way now for me to watch YouTube or Twitch.

And Wander is great too, Familiarising myself with Hirosaki, Before I go there in September. Using technology at its best, Now I feel like I already know the place I'll be going too. Feels like a memory already etched into my brain.

Can't fault it, I also got the elite strap and it's highly recommended, As it also gives an extra hour or so battery.

10/10

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the Quest 3 last week, Love it. I still use my PSVR2 for co-op Legendary Tales. But all my spare time now is in the Quest. First person tennis is wonderful, Just got update 4.7. Golf+ is great, Augmented reality is a game changer, The thrill of the fight with pass through is insane, Having a boxing bout whilst his in the living room with me!

Big screen VR is brilliant, Best way now for me to watch YouTube or Twitch.

And Wander is great too, Familiarising myself with Hirosaki, Before I go there in September. Using technology at its best, Now I feel like I already know the place I'll be going too. Feels like a memory already etched into my brain.

Can't fault it, I also got the elite strap and it's highly recommended, As it also gives an extra hour or so battery.

10/10

I'm so tempted to spring for one. Outside of YouTube and Twitch are there other options for watching stuff?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Continuation from my post about me switching back to the original strap because I use Q3 while lying down or sit with headrest a lot, any recommendation on external battery pack?
At the back of the head is probably the most popular solution but that's not an option for my use case. I've seen some that's hanging on your neck but that looks kinda cumbersome. The only other place I can think of is at the top of my head but I imagine it'd get pretty hot. Or is there any that clamps around the charging port? (though I'd imagine adding more weight to the front's not really ideal).

I never really ran into battery issue with Q2 but I've been runnning out of battery on almost every session with Q3 (I use pass through a lot too).

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tempted to spring for one. Outside of YouTube and Twitch are there other options for watching stuff?

I think I've only scratched the surface chap, You can obviously side load from your PC aswell. But from the headset itself, There's also Disney, Amazon, Pluto, Netflix.

You can watch the apps themselves, But for me it's far better to watch that content through the Bigscreen app.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I know people are recommending the Q3 over Q2, or waiting for the Q3Lite.

However for someone that will only use it as standalone (don't have a PC), is the upgrade that much worth it?

The Q2 is £175, the Q3 is £460

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I know people are recommending the Q3 over Q2, or waiting for the Q3Lite.

However for someone that will only use it as standalone (don't have a PC), is the upgrade that much worth it?

The Q2 is £175, the Q3 is £460
If anything, Q3 and Q3 Lite would be more future proof for those who'll mainly use it as standalone because of the better processor (which won't matter as much if you use it for PCVR). Better pass through also allow for more possibility and many apps are pushing more into mixed-reality.
Q3 is way more expensive than Q2 so there's still merit in getting Q2 over Q3 but Q3 Lite should be closer to Q2 so I'd recommend waiting for announcement if you're not in a hurry. If it's around $100 more than Q2 then it's definitely worth it.