• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 17, 2018
960x0.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima does not seem like it's in danger of being user score review bombed, and this system was not invented just for its release. This actually was first spotted around two weeks ago, but I (and most people) probably didn't really notice until there was another major release like Ghost that arrived. Again, this will not stop review bombing. After the 36 hours is up, anyone can still write any kind of review they want and there's no way to track how much of a game they've played, if any. But at the very least, we won't have people reviewing 30-hour story games two hours after they came out, so that's something.

After 'The Last Of Us Part 2' Insanity, Metacritic Has Changed User Score Submissions

They should honestly get rid of them entirely, but, this is better than nothing, I guess.

I hadn't seen this yet, so, sorry if old.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a good decision. I like it. I think user reviews are useful 90 percent of the time so I'm glad they kept them, but with a tweak to keep the trolls at bay.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Realistically, they should just dump them completely.

But this? This is literally nothing. What in the world difference is a single day going to do?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's a good change. I honestly don't believe it'll stop the review bombings but any deterrent is nice.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018

But this? This is literally nothing. What in the world difference is a single day going to do?
Worth a try. If you enable user reviews after the "hype period" I'm sure a lot of trolls wouldn't be bothered anymore (less troll impact after the hype). Maybe this reasoning isn't true, but worth it to see.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
should just dump them altogether, I can't think of a site with more useless and low-quality user scores/reviews on average

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good move, tho i think they should just remove them entirely (at least for video games, not sure how they're used for music/tv/etc). review bombing is happening to almost all big games now, this is just going to delay it by one day.

jordannhowe

Oct 27, 2017
I have never found use for user reviews. They often come off as people that just feel the need to shout something meaningless into the void. In my opinion, it is much more useful to seek out reviewers that align with your tastes if you are going to research reviews ahead of a purchase.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
This is good, but I feel it will only move the review-bombing process a couple days. The only solution is linking metacritic with some kind of purchase-proof and time spent in game, but I guess that's way harder.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Just get rid off them completely or have people link their gaming account to the website to verify that they have played the game based on Trophy/Achievement data. Also, just get rid off scores from 0 to 2 or 3.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep them but only show them to people signed in. I can't imagine the average visitor to the site is logged in. This way only the people invested in this sort of stuff get to see it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This will help but is mostly just kicking the can down the road. Review bombers often have nothing else better to do and are highly motivated for various reasons.

User reviews should be elimiated entirely.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Good, although the delay on user reviews should really be, like, a week. People will complain, but the site is called Metacritic, not Metarandomasshole.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Was happy until I saw it was delayed by 1 day. That's stupid and likely won't help the issues.

Better choice would be to get rid of the user score/review altogether. Too many people abuse them for it to be a useful feature.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
User review scores on metacritic are mostly useless. They don't actually verify you've bought or played the game. I don't know why people put -any- stock into them.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really ought to make it like RottenTomatoes, where only people who are verified to have played/bought the game can submit reviews......at least for the first couple months or so. Have a separate average of "unverified reviews" that gets buried at the bottom of the page.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
How tf does this stop people from revjew bombing lol

User scores are still useless since you still don't know if they've played the game. Honestly the entire system needs to die.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima will be the first game with 10/10 user score because TLOU2 haters will boost this game's scores to show Druckmann how to make good games.
Probably not, they already took their anger and review "bomb" Spongebob with a lot of 10s. Its weird seeing that game with a 9 user score XD

Oct 31, 2017
Need a verified purchase system similar to Steam that shows your time played. Won't stop the idiotic reviews that happen after 5 minutes played, but it severely cuts them down. I'm more inclined to buy a game coming from glowing steam reviews that have visibly put in several hours than I am a MC review/score

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good gesture, but User Review score, at least for me, had been utterly pointless for a long time now due to the review bombing culture.

This "one" day makes zero difference knowing that this game COULD be review bombed 10 years from now when people suddenly decided Sucker Punch did something they don't like in 2030, which completely have 0% to do with this game.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Probs should be 3-7d, but hey, progress.
This, especially for online games with day one patches. We've had a number of titles review bombed by day one connection issues that are non existent a week later.

What they should do is a vote timeline too. Month one votes were 8, then after patch 1.4 that added X, scores have largely trended close to 9, then everyone got mad at the developer and in 2 days it all went down to 0.3.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I agree. Drop user reviews entirely.

I doubt they see a reason to do that though. User reviews just mean more traffic to the website and more revenue for them.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They should remove them entirely, I don't see this making a difference. The user score on the site isn't useful to the consumer anyway. It is on something like Steam when you know someone played it and how long (that still has the same issue but it's not on the scale of Metacritic since it's so easy there.)

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Needs a week at the bare minimum, a day does absolutely nothing.

Though user reviews are pointless anyway without some type of verification.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd be more in favor of something like a week. That first week when users can't shit on a game gets people distracted enough to focus on something else. It's all about being in that moment with the game and if you take that away, people probably wouldn't care as much.

Or just take it all away because it's a pointless metric that serves no purpose other than to flame.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just remove them, or at least make the waiting period a week or so.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I have never found use for user reviews. They often come off as people that just feel the need to shout something meaningless into the void. In my opinion, it is much more useful to seek out reviewers that align with your tastes if you are going to research reviews ahead of a purchase.
Exactly

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Same with my thoughts. Week minimum really.

Also probably should be that new accounts can't post to new game releases until after 30 days as a member(and have to have had a prior review of some sort prior to posting the day of when a new game user review voting goes live) . Would at least help reduce the amount review bombings from people just signing up all triggered in the release window and creating multiple accounts to amplify themselves.

Of course that would be too much of an ask. Ideally the only user reviews that should ever be considered are those that can confirm people have played the game, I.E. Steam reviews.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

Some among the most rabid haters will be discouraged having to wait until after all major reviews are out, but yeah, 7 days would have been more effective.
It's a start.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic should work with console makers on some sort of account linking system. For example, you link PSN account with Metacritic. Metacritic sees that you own the game and played it for at least 2 hours. You are now allowed to write a User review and rate the game on MC.

And yes I know review bombing would still be possible, but it woudln't be the same free for all as it was with TLoU2, where people who don't even play console games joined in on the "fun" review bombing.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Now I know it's certainly not "perfect" by any means, but how come IMDB is able to have a solid, reliable user review system for movies and TV but there's nothing like this for video games (at least on that scale)? I really wish there was an "IMDB of video games."