• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/metalgear_jp/status/1770042539011399775?s=20

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzHiVn1g6jA&ab_channel=KONAMI%E5%85%AC%E5%BC%8F

So a 20-minute program about the development of Metal Gear Solid stuff at the moment was released in Japanese.

Current series producer, Noriaki Okamura, talks about how they've inherited the legacy of the IP, and feel its their duty to both preserve its legacy and figure out where to go with it in the future. Okamura talks about why he's taken responsibility as he's one of Konami's oldest employees, his first project at the company being Policenauts.

There's a few interesting point brought up in the video to how I understand it.

Firstly, the title screen of Metal Gear Delta was shared:

View: https://twitter.com/zxSOLIDxSNAKEzx/status/1770047571588706457?s=20

There's this handily translated list of things they want to fix and change about the Metal Gear Solid Collection Volume 1 release:

0c40e4d27b1bceb27a28502086b73258.png

They apparently say in Japanese they are looking into making native 4k for the games to be a free update in the future. They talk about how the goal with these is to try their best to preserve the look and feel of the original games. The goals to remake them with new features, graphics, etc, will be a title-to-title decision starting with Delta. Currently they're waiting to see how Delta is received, but do have the idea to make the original games preserved and new modern versions for those who want them.

They mention this is a smaller series of announcements, they have a bigger video presentation happening "soon" where they have some bigger announcements for the franchise, and to look forward to it. They outside of this talk more about the series history, have some merchandise they show off, that sorta' thing.

There's a questionnaire (in Japanese of course) they have for feedback on this program, if people like or don't like these smaller transparency updates or prefer them to wait for bigger news programs, that sorta' thing: https://questant.jp/q/KQDTIZUV

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4K! Nice!

Reading that producer's comments, Vol 2 seems to be a given and I would be extremely surprised if it didn't include MGS4.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
To their credit, at least they are acknowledging the issues with the Collection. Yes, it should have been better on day one, but I hope like the Master Chief Collection it'll get better.

(Also if you haven't played the MGS Collection it's been patched well enough already.)

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
A lot of people will rightly dunk on Konami for a lot of things but I really do feel like they are at least trying in recent times. Their execution leaves a lot to be desired but this level of clarity at least gives me hope and it's pretty clear on what they want to fix, have fixed and what the future may bring for their handling of MGS.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
It's good they're listening to feedback here. Konami has a reputation for just shitting these remasters out and not supporting them, so it's good that they're taking feedback seriously.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is really nice and if they follow through on the Collection updates, it bodes well for the effort / sentiment in Collection 2

I'm still unconvinced Delta is going to capture what I liked in 3, and reservations remain (a full graphical remake whilst the OG voice track is used?), but it's captured my imagination more than a Bloober lead SH2.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I'm at work, so I can't watch the full video right now, but that title screen isn't great considering how good the original is. Not a huge deal, though.

Native 4K would definitely be great!

I still wish they'd done a higher res UI and subtitles for MGS 1, at least as an option.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
What did they say about Vol2 exactly? just pondering the existence of it?
They mention it briefly to my understanding, but not anything super interesting. They do mention that "soon" they plan to do a bigger video presentation on Metal Gear (presumably this one will also be in English) with 'bigger' news for the franchise. This video is program is a little experiment I suppose to be transparent with what they're doing with the franchise, update pipeline and in Japanese go more into detail of their solutions to bugs/issues people have with the collection, their goals with both the collections & Delta, what they're parsing about the future of the series, why he was selected as series producer, to announce the upcoming bigger presentation they plan to do, and seeing if people would like more smaller transparent video updates like this for the franchise in the future.

There might be something I'm missing if anyone else wants to parse over it, but how I understand it currently at least.

Mar 19, 2020
Surprised to see they're actually taking the feedback somewhat seriously. I like everything that they're saying but I just hope they follow through.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I find the idea that they even have to "listen to feedback" about a collection of old PS2 and PS1 games pretty depressing but that's modern gaming for ya I guess

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing ports of the classics while remaking them is the way to do it. Wish Capcom did that with Resident Evil.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
if there truly are plans to fix the collection then good. I wonder if their bosses gave them a hard deadline and budget and they just ran out of time and money

Hope Vol 2 isn't far off. Been holding off on a series replay for a very long time now

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm shocked they actually listed the resolution as one of the problems they intend of fixing. Really feels like they invested the minimum possible amount of money on this collection expecting it to sell like shit, and then they greenlit fixing it when it actually sold well. Glad it's being fixed in any case.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not particularly moved.

The collection never should have launched in the state it did, and what they're talking about fixing/updating here should have been included in that launch build. Second, the future of the franchise isn't something I can honestly say I have high hopes for either. Remakes, fine, cool, but original new Metal Gear titles without Kojima's involvement is a bit like trying to forge someone's signature, even the best approximation will fall short of the real article.

For me, a competent Vol. 2 with MGS 4 included, a new MGR, and some more remakes is really all I'd be keen to see. Seeing as how more remakes is likely the only wish being granted there, I'll remain tepid and unimpressed unless I'm given real reason to feel otherwise.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, conflicted. On the one hand, stop launching collections that are in that state at launch, its just bad all round.

On the flipside, glad they continue to fix them, if they can boost the res further, that'd be excellent.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
When they get to Portable Ops, I hope they implement the console controls from Peace Walker. And, if possible, high resolution comic cutscenes.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The collection shouldn't have launched in the state it did, and I haven't bought it yet because of that. It's good that they're planning to improve it, though. Better than I expected.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the collection and I just had the chance to install the first game last week. Hideous is too kind. Staying true? Give me that 4K please! Good news, hope it comes sooner than later.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
How are they making every tiny little piece of footage of the remake of one of the most wildly charismatic and singular video games of all time look like the most "Nintendo hire this man" ass tech demo footage without any kind of visual or auditory flair is beyond me.

This is like Square Enix drumming up hype for their Final Fantasy 7 Remake by exclusively releasing slow pans over some brown corner part of the slums for years.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Still didn't bought the collection because I'm waiting for a nice price. Guess my patience will be rewarded.
Yea I'm in the same boat and last gen it paid of massively. If you can wait you get fully patched version at a steep discount and potentially all the dlc included too. It'a nuts how awful jumping in on release is these days for so many titles.

So they really think that a boring dolly shot through the jungle is better than this as a title screen?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSkJpODOuc

plus so gunshot sounds so wrong (not the audio, but in the context of a metal gear game)

MGS1 menu starts with a gunshot but 2 and 3 have like similar funky digital noises that I like but can't describe. Like a digital swish. Not sure why they didn't go with that unless they think they are going for "realism" and didn't want cool sound effects which already is a bad start.

Last edited:

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
This is like Square Enix drumming up hype for their Final Fantasy 7 Remake by exclusively releasing slow pans over some brown corner part of the slums for years.
They sort of did that though. I remember they kept showing the first part, up to the scorpion fight over and over, many times. I was like 'they're showing this scorpion again?' and I wasn't even following games regularly at that point either but noticed the repetition.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Great that they're acknowledging this!

…any hope that one of these patches could make the switch versions of MGS 2 & 3 60fps? Especially 2 since it was way back when.

Even if not, the rest of these goals are great. Very exciting.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Hope there is a 60 fps mode but if not I can live with 30 for Delta if it looks good. I replayed all three main games in the collection this month and fell in love with the series again. I resisted digging too deep into MGS3 because I knew Delta was coming so I might take this opportunity to platinum the game.

As far as volume 2 is concerned, I'm really hoping we get a proper port of 4. I beat it several times when I was a kid but I booted it up on my PS3 and played an hour the other day. It was one of those game I knew I could keep going but I decided to wait for the Vol 2 announcement to see if it's included. So excited to be playing these games again.

Last edited:

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nice they're still committed to fix the issues, it's just disappointing how they thought the state they launched the games in originally was fine, particularly for games as beloved as these. I mean they were fine, but it was just absolute bare minimum it felt, arguably less with there being no custom resolution, sound mix being terrible (I have no idea if that's still the case, but MGS3's music at the beginning was SO loud when I first tried it).

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
They sort of did that though. I remember they kept showing the first part, up to the scorpion fight over and over, many times. I was like 'they're showing this scorpion again?' and I wasn't even following games regularly at that point either but noticed the repetition.

This announcement trailer alone is so far beyond anything Konami has done it's not even close. Absolutely masterful in composition and using the themes and music of the original, pure and absolute hype for anyone who played the original and enticing even for those who didn't.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy VII - E3 2015 Trailer | PS4

May contain content inappropriate for children. Visit www.esrb.org for rating information.

Meanwhile, the announcement trailer for MGS Delta just plays in absolute silence outside of animal noises for 2 minutes, then barely manages to throw in the iconic theme when the logo appears, which then just...lazily fades out lol. We haven't heard a single character talk yet. The following trailer had no characters or music at all. And now they promote the new title screen, which doesn't use any of the iconic stylings of the original but replaces them instead with some jungle scenes and barely any music. It's such an incredibly weird way to promote a game like Metal Gear Solid 3, which so utterly is defined by its characters, cutscene direction, sense of style and overall vibe. Feels like Konami thinks that the only noteworthy part of MGS 3 is that it plays in a jungle for some parts of the game. It's just a really, really lame marketing campaign so far.

BK0X

Oct 28, 2017
I'm for once impressed. I never expected from Konami to fix any of these issues to begin with.
This definitely makes me feel a bit more secure about picking up Vol. 2. Now, if they could just confirm 4K support for MGS4 at launch + full online support for the PSP games, I would be extremely happy.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They need to re-port MGS2/3 Switch, apparently they're incredibly unoptimized and use only one CPU core.

If Konami were going to base them off the Android ports like this they should've hired Nvidia Lightspeed Studios (like Valve did for the Portal Collection) rather than Rocket Studio (the company behind infamous ports like Grandia II PS2 and Bayonetta PS3).

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Glad I held off on the collection, will wait for that 4k update. Include MGS4 in Volume 2 and I'll buy that on day one!

Don't see myself grabbing Delta anytime soon, curious how it sells and what their expectations are though

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they add mouse support for MGS2, just for aiming in first person at least.
I like playing MGS3 with kb+m now.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I'm kinda at the spot where I feel like anything is better than nothing after how konami has been for so long.

Bring on collection 2 with ac!d 1 and 2!

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
It's cute that they're addressing all the woes with the recent MGS collection but none of those issues should've been there to begin with. Rushing a half-baked mess out the door just to meet the release deadline is no way to treat this game series.

Doesn't really instill great faith in the Delta project either.

Apr 5, 2022
Surprised to see they're actually taking the feedback somewhat seriously. I like everything that they're saying but I just hope they follow through.

Like I said, you have the people who "hate" Konami out there especially those who respect Kojima, but there are others out there like me who LOVE Kojima but cant ignore the shit things he did to people along the way like treating Hayter terrible (trying to recast him since MGS3). If Capcom can have a redemption arc after having years of trouble with fans, then Konami can have theri own redemption arc too regardless what people say. I hope this leads to Konami doing some good as they say with people, with time? Things can change and I hope this is for the better when it comes with Konami and Metal Gear.