Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I am never going to play this game. I only have a Switch and Vita (handhelds) but I want to know this game's plot.

I just checked the Wikipedia.com article and I can't tell if it's giving me the synopsis or the full plot and the YouTube videos just seem to show specific scenes.

Can someone give me a summary including every twist and Easter egg? Does Big Boss or any other major character turn up? I heard something about Quiet being in the game.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Secret messages in game lets me know Konami itself doesn't know all the Easter Eggs in the game.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
One of those "FINAL BOSS AND ENDING" videos popped up on my Youtube feed last night and... apparently the final bossfight of this game 25 minutes of CODEC screen and two railgun shots.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'm also curious.

Hideo literally made himself a prisoner in the first game you had to rescue. I wonder what kind of cries for help the remaining dev team put as messages-in-bottles.

Pachinko machine final boss?

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also curious.

Hideo literally made himself a prisoner in the first game you had to rescue. I wonder what kind of cries for help the remaining dev team put as messages-in-bottles.

Pachinko machine final boss?
LXplNDjz-g1tsCsOEgCcq0p9sZBwaTE36szuKv1x38g.jpg

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
One of those "FINAL BOSS AND ENDING" videos popped up on my Youtube feed last night and... apparently the final bossfight of this game 25 minutes of CODEC screen and two railgun shots.

Yeh same for me. The thumbnail alone for me was like.. That looks bad: I'm never getting this game, might aswell see what it's about.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That seems like such a weird request but I'm on board. If I ever do play it I'll hardly care about the story anyway.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's called "metal gear survive" and it's an MGS game with zombies in it -- is plot really the first thing that springs to mind here?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are transported to another world full of zombies.

Some shadowy government organisations knew of this other world for a while.

It turns out it's not actually another world but earth 200 years in the future after nano machines destroyed us all.

Shadowy government guy promises to change that future.

Eventually you get home. I think you are one of those wandering solders from TPP?

No cameos as far as I know.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Are you saying MGS plots aren't an important part of the games?
This is clearly a zany offshoot done by people whose output people are in their free right to reject as valid for that franchise. No offense, but I actually think it's kinda dumb to even look into Survive as a plot when it's sort of ingrained in the very concept that this won't actually make sense or feel legitimate to the canon.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
You create the canonical MGS universe by defeating a giant crystal zombie monster in an alternate future earth where nanomachines screwed everything up.

It's a bit more deep when you go into it (as other posts have) and I enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I am never going to play this game. I only have a Switch and Vita (handhelds) but I want to know this game's plot.

I just checked the Wikipedia.com article and I can't tell if it's giving me the synopsis or the full plot and the YouTube videos just seem to show specific scenes.

Can someone give me a summary including every twist and Easter egg? Does Big Boss or any other major character turn up? I heard something about Quiet being in the game.
At the beginning of the game your character help Big Boss leaving the Mother Base, but soon after that a wormhole appears over the base. Somehow your character manage to save himself from being sucked into the wormhole, but he loses an arm in the process. Apparently he got infected too, and he dies right after. Somehow Goodluck, a new character, during an inspection notices you resurrected, with your arm growing back. You are still infected, but you can't live in this worl anymore, so Goodluck sends you in a mission inside the wormhole to retrieve Kuban energy, an energy which should resolve all the conflicts around the lack of resources in our world. So your character go in this parallel world, he starts on doing stuff to retrieve the energy, he rescues some characters in the middle. But there's something going on, because apparently the previous squad sent in the mission was wiped out. So while they do the stuff to retrieve energy and find a way home, they rescue a child too on a wheelchair. You find a way to go home, you open a portal but instead this lure the Lord of Dust, apparently the chief of all infected near your base. You manage to escape and leave into the wormhole, just to be teleported in a different location, your fob. This is the second part of the game, where your character discovers there's another survivor, who apparently killed the previous squad members you discovered being dead. You meet him at the same moment he is trying to kill a dude you saved in the intro of the game. You save him and he go back to your Fob. You do other stuff to find a way home, and in the middle you discover Sehelantropus. You also discover that the dude you saved is infected too, and the dude who was trying to kill him already knew that, and he is the sole survivor of the other squad. Your squad receive a message from Goodluck, apparently the general who instructed you to increase the power of the extractor during the first wormhole opening just wanted to lure the Lord of the Dust, so he got sucked into the wormhole too. You need to open a new wormhole to go back home, but you also need to kill the Lord of the Dusk, and the only way to do so it's recovering the Sehelantropus and its railgun.
You also discover the world you ended in is not a parallel dimension, but it's our world, far in the future, turned that way by nanomachines. So you recover the Sehelantropus and you need to go back to Code Talker's home in order to retrieve some data to build a trap of Archaea Metallica. You recover those, you build the trap, you lure the Lord of Dust and send back home the child you rescued before. Turns out the child instead is Goodluck, who ended in Philadelfia, 1943, instead of our days. Eventually when he became an adult, he orchestrated the whole thing, sending you back in time, to kill the Lord of Dust. You and your squad decided to not leave the world via the wormhole, and stay to kill the Lord of Dust and eventually save the normal time-line.
You do this, killing the monster with the railgun, but the monster couldn't properly die until one of the AI sacrificed itself (so goodbye to your opportunity to go back home) to teach the monster how to die, since it can't understand the concept of death, since it was formed by nanomachines. So the pod go inside the monster, the monster dies and turns out the pod was built with anti-nuclear material so it survived. There's still a possibility to go back home and now, with the lord of dust gone, you are not infected anymore. Game over.
No Big Boss in the game if not in the very first cutscene, no Quiet, and not any references to other characters happen in Survive.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm ok with getting fully spoiled on this game. I mean, I love the stories in Metal Gear games, they are over the top, insane, and with stylish cut-scene direction but without Kojima I just have no interest, especially when it's a survival game with meters to manage. I did at one point (after being confused at the announcement of the game) think it might not be bad and building a base and all that would be fun in a survival game way but with the mechanics of MGSV but then I played the Multiplayer Demo and really didn't enjoy it (the best bit was when you could get the walker and start shooting like crazy until the walker decides you've had enough fun and blows up). And looking at the Giant Bomb Quick Look of the game I feel the meter management just 100% isn't for me, even if I enjoyed how they've made it more melee focussed. The QL did however pique my interest in the story when the "lord of the dust" was just walking around in the background like something out of The Mist. Weird, otherworldy monsters always get me curious.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
At the beginning of the game your character help Big Boss leaving the Mother Base, but soon after that a wormhole appears over the base. Somehow your character manage to save himself from being sucked into the wormhole, but he loses an arm in the process. Apparently he got infected too, and he dies right after. Somehow Goodluck, a new character, during an inspection notices you resurrected, with your arm growing back. You are still infected, but you can't live in this worl anymore, so Goodluck sends you in a mission inside the wormhole to retrieve Kuban energy, an energy which should resolve all the conflicts around the lack of resources in our world. So your character go in this parallel world, he starts on doing stuff to retrieve the energy, he rescues some characters in the middle. But there's something going on, because apparently the previous squad sent in the mission was wiped out. So while they do the stuff to retrieve energy and find a way home, they rescue a child too on a wheelchair. You find a way to go home, you open a portal but instead this lure the Lord of Dust, apparently the chief of all infected near your base. You manage to escape and leave into the wormhole, just to be teleported in a different location, your fob. This is the second part of the game, where your character discovers there's another survivor, who apparently killed the previous squad members you discovered being dead. You meet him at the same moment he is trying to kill a dude you saved in the intro of the game. You save him and he go back to your Fob. You do other stuff to find a way home, and in the middle you discover Sehelantropus. You also discover that the dude you saved is infected too, and the dude who was trying to kill him already knew that, and he is the sole survivor of the other squad. Your squad receive a message from Goodluck, apparently the general who instructed you to increase the power of the extractor during the first wormhole opening just wanted to lure the Lord of the Dust, so he got sucked into the wormhole too. You need to open a new wormhole to go back home, but you also need to kill the Lord of the Dusk, and the only way to do so it's recovering the Sehelantropus and its railgun.
You also discover the world you ended in is not a parallel dimension, but it's our world, far in the future, turned that way by nanomachines. So you recover the Sehelantropus and you need to go back to Code Talker's home in order to retrieve some data to build a trap of Archaea Metallica. You recover those, you build the trap, you lure the Lord of Dust and send back home the child you rescued before. Turns out the child instead is Goodluck, who ended in Philadelfia, 1943, instead of our days. Eventually when he became an adult, he orchestrated the whole thing, sending you back in time, to kill the Lord of Dust. You and your squad decided to not leave the world via the wormhole, and stay to kill the Lord of Dust and eventually save the normal time-line.
You do this, killing the monster with the railgun, but the monster couldn't properly die until one of the AI sacrificed itself (so goodbye to your opportunity to go back home) to teach the monster how to die, since it can't understand the concept of death, since it was formed by nanomachines. So the pod go inside the monster, the monster dies and turns out the pod was built with anti-nuclear material so it survived. There's still a possibility to go back home and now, with the lord of dust gone, you are not infected anymore. Game over.
No Big Boss in the game if not in the very first cutscene, no Quiet, and not any references to other characters happen in Survive.

I read all of that and... Whoa. Cheap deus ex machina writing and wibbly-wobbly time travel shenanigans. Meh. Kind of had an itch to play this myself, but the more game play I see, the less I want to.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is my very quick summery.

A wormhole opens while Mother Base is being attacked by the end of MGSV: Ground Zeroes, we see Snake escape in the helicopter while your soldier is left behind. The soldier(the player) and his buddy starts to get sucked into the wormhole, but the wormhole closes right after his buddy is sucked in, cutting off the soldiers hand. A mysterious man named Goodluck tells you that you got infected with some kind of parasite and that allowed your arm to regrow in the six months following the event. The wormhole and zombies from it was first observed in Vietnam and the government was able to keep it hidden by using the war as a smokescreen for killing all the zombies. Goodluck tells the soldier that they were able to get the exact location of the wormhole due to the big one that opened at Mother Base and he wants to send you through to the other side so they can find out what happened to a task force they sent in some time ago. Goodluck also says that the soldier is infected with a parasite and that is what allowed the arm to regrow.

So the soldier is promoted to captain and sent through the wormhole where he fights for his life as zombies are trying to kill him, but he is saved by an enemy soldier by the name of Reeves. Reeves and the captain make their way to the home base, with Reeve being very clear that he is only working with the captain so that he can return home. At the home base they are greeted by an AI named Virgil that has two personalities and that it was helping the old crew on their mission but suffered data loss. So the captain now needs to find a bunch of memory modules and rebuild the home base. At one point virgil tells the captain that he needs to find a Kuban Energy digger so they can extract enough power to open a new wormhole to go back home. The captain secures the digger and gets the required energy. They also save a nurse and a nerdy child in a wheelchair.

The captain tries to open the wormhole to go home, but there wasn't enough energy to keep the hole open, but there was enough power to open a data stream to go through the hole. A man named Gruen contacts the captain and tells him that Goodluck has been lying to him all along and from here on out he should only focus on getting home at all costs. So the captain goes to find some more energy and tries to open the wormhole again.

While opening the wormhole again, a big ass creature named The Lord of Dust attacks the home base, the captain barely escapes while heroicly saving wheelchair boy. We have escaped home! Oh wait, the world is still messed up, we are not home. Virgil plays a recording from Goodluck that states that he is indeed dead and most of it has been a lie up till now. Gruen wasn't real, it was all a scam to get the captain to find the survivors and teleport to the location containing the one weapon that could kill the Lord of Dust. Virgil reveals that they are not in another dimension, but rather they are about 200 years in the future where the earth has been destroyed multiple times over by The Lord of Dust. The Lord of Dust is the byproduct of nanomachines made to cure people from various illnesses, it is converting the world around it into more power for itself and this point in time is the point where it is the weakest. The reason for the wormhole at mother base existing is because The Lord of Dust not having enough matter to feed itself with, so it opens rifts in time to take things from the past to feed itself.

So the captain sets out to find the one weapon that can kill The Lord of Dust, but first he recieves a distress call from one of the surviving members of the task force, but he ends up finding his old buddy from mother base, Seth, being attacked by a crazy guy from the task force. So the captain saves Seth and learns about the one weapon to kill The Lord of Dust, SAHALANTROPUS!!!!

So the captain goes to get Sahalantropus. As the captain is securing Sahalantropus, he runs into the other member of the task force, Dan, and figures out that either Dan or Seth is not telling the truth about who killed the other members of the task force. Dan was right. Moments later Seth kidnaps wheelchair boy and the captain goes to kill Seth at the old home base you left 3-4 hours earlier. Now the captain needs to secure enough energy to get Sahalantropus operational and destroy the Lord of Dust. Also the captain has 12 days left to live, also The Lord of Dust will create a mega wormhole in 11 days to feed again.

I have not finished the game completely, so i assume wheelchair boy steal Sahalantropus and saves the day.

Also buy this game, it's really good.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
The games plot is literally Nanomachines son.

oh also
time travel. Goodluck the old guy from the beginning who sends you in the shadow world is the little child you find there and you send back into our world but 40 or something years into the past before you enter so he can send you as a old guy into the shadow world to begin with. oh and the world its the future.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
There's this dude called Metal Gear Solid, and he's trying so hard to survive, but he can't because he was killed and then turned into a zombie.

Its truly the deepest lore.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017

It turns out it's not actually another world but earth 200 years in the future after nano machines destroyed us all.

Eventually you get home. I think you are one of those wandering solders from TPP?

That seems fun a campy kinda way.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haha wait what. That seriously can't be the main plot right? I know metal gear had highly sophisticated machinery that was "futuristic" to a degree but that is just plain shark jumping bonkers. The hell...

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha wait what. That seriously can't be the main plot right? I know metal gear had highly sophisticated machinery that was "futuristic" to a degree but that is just plain shark jumping bonkers. The hell...
Just think about it one more time : Do you really think that Metal Gear : Survive is the first one to jump the shark ?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
That actually seems pretty fun to be honest. I'm not really interested in the game because the genre isn't really for me, but it's cool that they actually seem to have put effort in the storyline, rather than just being a game with no real objective like most games in the genre.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read all of that and... Whoa. Cheap deus ex machina writing and wibbly-wobbly time travel shenanigans. Meh. Kind of had an itch to play this myself, but the more game play I see, the less I want to.
Honestly I liked the plot, it fits well in the Metal Gear lore, and the fact
the nanomachine thing is far in the future could always change, so it's a thing that can or can't happen

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
That bit about returning to your old home base for a fight or whatever makes me think, has there been a game where you build up a base (like, customise the layout and traps and defences) and then have to storm your own base at the end? That idea seems neat to me, like that Ubisoft Diablo like game where you made a level to defend your treasure and other players had to beat your level filled with traps and monsters but only after you finished it first (like in Mario Maker where you prove a level is completable). Something like that but used as more of a twist. Like if there was a strategy/sim game where you built up a fortress and then at the end had to break into your base but you don't know that as you're playing so you are building it up the best you can. Like, you'd know all the weakpoints and stuff and how to best attack.

I'm tired right now and just thought that was a neat idea and wondered if there was a game that has done this.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Once upon a time in college park where they live life fast and they're scared the dark - there was a little brother by the name of Chris; No one paid him much mind, no one game a shit

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not a bad plot I guess.
The world being destroyed by nanomachines
seems like something Kojima would do to kill off the series. Surprised he didn't throw something like that in MGSV at the last minute.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Not a bad plot I guess.
The world being destroyed by nanomachines
seems like something Kojima would do to kill off the series. Surprised he didn't throw something like that in MGSV at the last minute.

I could live in a world where after the Phantom Pain credits roll we find out it was all a simulation of a dream, run by a dead AI in the year 3102.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The games plot is literally Nanomachines son.

oh also
time travel. Goodluck the old guy from the beginning who sends you in the shadow world is the little child you find there and you send back into our world but 40 or something years into the past before you enter so he can send you as a old guy into the shadow world to begin with. oh and the world its the future.

TIME PARADOX

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising believed that nanomachines were integral to making America Great Again, but medical nanomachines destroyed mankind. At least in this kinda World A timeline. The events of Metal Gear Survive erase this future, and create the traditional Metal Gear timeline, which is basically World B. While the game is ostensibly non-canon, it fits pretty much perfectly and basically explains where the wormhole fulton technology in Metal Gear Solid V came from, which is a curiosity that MGS V made zero attempt to explain.

OP
OP

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow thanks. That is crazy but for a spin off game I fully expect MGS to full on embrace the craziness. Knowing that nanomachines brings about the apocalypse though is hilarious.