• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I still think about and play Metal Gear Solid regularly. Games just don't hit like that anymore.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Never getting dethroned as far as i'm concerned.

Go ahead Konami, release the entire collection for current gen machines, doesn't even need any improvements at all, just do it.

Please
339b5be8354d183f-image-funny-gif-crying-cat-sad-gif-adventure-time-wiki-fandom.gif

Same.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Agreed when I think about that era of gaming, metal gear an ff7 are burned into my memories

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Blew my mind back in 1998. It even broke onto regular news television as this groundbreaking cinematic game
We were not prepared for this game in 1998. The presentation was just so far ahead of anything else out there at the time. Cutscenes were generally really simplistic. Kojima really pushed that part of gaming forward in a big way. And I played the NES games so I was not expecting something this advanced.

Man that was such an amazing year. I was recovering from my ACL surgery and from Thanksgiving to winter break I played in some order Half Life, Metal Gear, Zelda and Xenogears. Xenogears probably doesn't below with the others but in general that was a really holiday season for me. Probably the best one I have experienced. It just felt like such a monumental leap forward for gaming playing those three titles.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've only ever played Metal Gear Solid via a Bleemcast disc. Might pick up the PC version soon to replay it.

I need to unwrap my 3DS copy of Metal Gear Solid 3 someday.

Jul 1, 2020
Definitely one of the most legendary games on Playstation and one of a growing list of legacy franchises left to rot by the IP holder.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I was like 9 or 10 years old (in 2000, didn't play it when it released) when I watched people play this, it felt like different and out of the realm of other games from that time.
I need to unwrap my 3DS copy of Metal Gear Solid 3 someday.
Don't, keep it sealed to retain value and play a much better version either on PS3 or 360 (if possible, of course). Dunno if it's on PC.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's my third favourite stealth game of 1998 but still awesome.

Mantis reading my memory card and knowing I played Suikoden tripped me out.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is, and always will be, my favorite saga.

Like really, MGS1 - 4 I've must have played them like hundreds of times. The whole tetralogy is just perfect in my eyes, and always will be.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading gaming magazines, watching the demo trailer, playing the demo countless times and the actual game loads of times. For people who wanted games to be as big as Hollywood, we waited for years and while there were a few contenders like Another World and Tomb Raider, when this game came along this was it!

Just a masterclass in using the PS1 to it's full cinematic potential, with so many great mechanics and gameplay moments that are still great to play to this day (Provided you adjust for it of course). It had a mix of thrilling action, somber moments, scares (That Otacon face in the elevator, GAH), and humour.

One of the greatest games of all time, period.

Jan 4, 2018
MGS is one of my biggest gaming blindspots, never got into it.

Was too young at the time, didn't own a Playstation by the time I was.

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
My favorite game of all time! I'm 37 and yet I still remember the first day I got this game and how ahead of it's time it is! Legendary Game!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The greatest video game ever made. For me, this is it.

I remember nerds complaining when it released that there was too much dialog and talking and too little game play. It was on message boards and even magazines. I just couldn't understand the criticism. Then other nerds also complained that it was too short. I'm glad they are all proven wrong.

Mar 29, 2018
Arguably the best atmosphere and vibe of any game ever.
Yup. I'd say only a handful of games come close. Thief 2: The Metal Age, Thief: Deadly Shadows, maybe Deus Ex.Nier: Automata is a good recent candidate, actually. It's peak stuff.

The greatest video game ever made. For me, this is it.

I remember nerds complaining when it released that there was too much dialog and talking and too little game play. It was on message boards and even magazines. I just couldn't understand the criticism. Then other nerds also complained that it was too short. I'm glad they are all proven wrong.
iu

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Best series ever.
Alongside Silent Hill and Pro Evolution Soccer.

Konami Kings

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Couldn't find a decent upload for this and i know usually the MGS2 E3 trailers get all the hype...but back then i watched this over and over again:

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
1-3 are all at that top tier of gaming

though yes 1 is probably the most transformative of them all, expanded my idea of what a game could be

though honestly when you think about it the NES metal gear was an incredible achievement too

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
The PS1 version of MGS1 is on such a different, higher level than anything else of that generation, as far as I'm concerned. The plot, the voice acting, the cinematography in cutscenes... Absolutely fantastic game, and I first played well after that console generation ended, so it's not even just nostalgia talking.

MGS 1-4 are all fantastic games. Probably would rank them 1 > 2 ≥ 3 > 4, but even though that makes it look like the series got worse as time goes on, it's really more just a testament to how much I loved 1. Not as big on Peace Walker or 5 (I also have a grudge against Rising, though it wasn't a Kojima game so ehh) and I kinda sometimes ignore them, but they're not bad and still have their merits as well (5 more for gameplay than anything else... okay, and "Sins of the Father" which may be my favorite vocal song in the series).

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To think that this, Ocarina of Time and Xenogears all released within a few months of each other. What a crazy good year.

Mar 19, 2020
I replay a few of the games every year more or less. MGS2 is my most played game of all time. I put 1000 hours combined into GZ and TPP.

Wish MGS1 was more readily available for me to play again these days.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
It really is. Hope that someday all games are playable on PC and somehow Kojima can make one more, his swan song for the franchise (starring The Boss on WWII).

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Kojima was on a fucking roll back then. I became obsessed with his games (including his two non-Metal Gear games) back then. MGS1 was one of the most blown away I was by a game ever and MGS2 was one of the best sequels that far surpassed my personal expectations and MGS3 is quite frankly the best game prequel ever made. Just masterclass in game design, atmosphere, sandbox environments, boss battles and cutscene direction.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game. I forget what I was watching recently but some breakdown of the game was done...maybe it was Matthewmatosis? anyway it's weird. Like after the Vulcan Raven fight there's not much actual gameplay. There's like 30 guards in the entire game. It's crazy.