Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Stony Creek Metropark or Willow Metropark

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Wolcott Mill Metropark or Thor the Dark World

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

SelfCon

Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend and i just got back from Dearborn (shoutout to the nice Papaya Fruit Market), and i make her do all the driving in that area because it can be crazy. I hate the southfield fwy the most, its a free for all. She's grew up and learned to drive in that area and she always yells that I drive too "safe" for it.
Southfield freeway is the fucking worst. I avoid it at all costs.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
See the lodge is way way worse to me but I also grew up downriver 😂

georeaper

Oct 28, 2017
Did I miss the memo?
We were driving around Detroit today and within 10 min we saw four different cars gingerly ignoring red lights. They treated them like stop signs. I guess at least they stopped and didn't just smash through. Still wild though.

My guess is you just haven't driven around the city very much, where were you? I've lived in the city for 15 years, this is pretty much standard. Lived in Grandmont Rosedale for 10 years and now Sherwood Forest, going through red lights is the tame stuff. We now have thousands of speed humps to help deter the insane amount of residential speeding we have

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My guess is you just haven't driven around the city very much, where were you? I've lived in the city for 15 years, this is pretty much standard. Lived in Grandmont Rosedale for 10 years and now Sherwood Forest, going through red lights is the tame stuff. We now have thousands of speed humps to help deter the insane amount of residential speeding we have

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards
Maybe. Not that I drive much but I've not noticed in the Royal Oak/Ferndale area.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ah well. Con's been pretty great thus far!
It's pretty weird how they didn't have official merchandise this year though, same for the no lanyards for badges thing minus some $5 ones they were selling in the gaming room (after carrying around my badge all day the first day, just ended up bringing the old one I got last year).

That said, been finding a lot of things I wanted among the vendors.

Dec 30, 2020
I kind of miss when the convention had the arcade at the hotel, you could stay there all night/late and not have to worry about walking back outside. When do they close the arcade area at the Cobo Hall or whatever the fuck its called now?
Generally around 10pm. Although tabletop still is at the Ren Cen and that stays open until 4 in the morning.

Dec 30, 2020
Cool. Maybe next year. Maybe I"ll have my back pain problems sorted by then. I can't stand for very long lately. I couldn't survive registration lines like I used to.
Reg lines moved pretty quickly from what I saw this year. There was a longer line (still fast moving) to get into the dealer room, but that's because they were screening for masks and proof of vaccination, which I was glad to see.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reg lines moved pretty quickly from what I saw this year. There was a longer line (still fast moving) to get into the dealer room, but that's because they were screening for masks and proof of vaccination, which I was glad to see.
Yeah I'd have to dig out my proof somewhere haha. Wonder if next year will have that.

Dec 30, 2020
Yeah I'd have to dig out my proof somewhere haha. Wonder if next year will have that.
Possibly, I think that all depends on what happens vis r vis covid levels. By the bye, the covid booster is also accepted too, so when you get that just hang onto that document. They had special stickers too so once you showed proof you got it on your badge and didn't have to keep whipping documents out.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Long shot I guess.
Anyone here got recommendations for solar installation companies?

Even longer long shot. Anyone use a tankless electric waterheater?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Long shot I guess.

Check with Homeland Solar if they do work in your area. Great price and they were especially good with the designing process. I had to get panels in like 4 different areas of my roof for what I needed and they were able to work with that.

I looked into it last year but went with standard gas again. I never hit the capacity on my standard one and didn't want to deal with the extra 10-20s wait for the hot water.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Check with Homeland Solar if they do work in your area. Great price and they were especially good with the designing process. I had to get panels in like 4 different areas of my roof for what I needed and they were able to work with that.

I looked into it last year but went with standard gas again. I never hit the capacity on my standard one and didn't want to deal with the extra 10-20s wait for the hot water.
For me it's more of wanting to go all electric especially with us likely getting solar. And then freeing up space going tankless would be an added bonus.

How is your solar system set up? do you overproduce in the summer and can then draw your "banked" power from grid?
Is it connected with DTE?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's more of wanting to go all electric especially with us likely getting solar. And then freeing up space going tankless would be an added bonus.

How is your solar system set up? do you overproduce in the summer and can then draw your "banked" power from grid?
Is it connected with DTE?

Yeah, hooked into DTE.

DTE doesn't have a straight 1:1 banking anymore.

Based on the rate plan I am on, during peak hours I have to pay 22 c/kwh to get power from DTE. But excess solar that I push back to them, they pay me like 10 c/kwh. The credits banked can be used in Winter to offset some of your winter bills.

Usually the solar company should be able to run a spreadsheet for you. You can download your past per-hour usage file from DTE as a .csv file. They will also be able to give you a "break-even" time frame. It was around 7-8 years for me. But it could pay off sooner looking at how quickly DTE is trying to raise rates.

georeaper

Oct 28, 2017
Long shot I guess.

Strawberry Solar has installed some on cribs in North Rosedale Park that people seem pretty happy with, had them come over to my neighborhood for a quote but too many trees / and historic district made things difficult. As mentioned above, no net metering in Michigan anymore but that could definitely change soon with the majority dem house / senate. Call your local rep and let them know you want it, it's really stupid that we are forced to pay half of what DTE sells it for. Makes no sense.

www.strawberrysolar.com

Strawberry Solar

Strawberry Solar, a Detroit company, offers design, installation, and service for Solar Photovoltaic systems throughout the state of Michigan. Contact us today to receive a free quote, and find out how you can find energy independence for zero down.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I enjoyed my first afternoon of the season in the garden. Clearing shrubs and such. 😎

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was going to spend the afternoon outdoors but went and enjoyed a local bar instead. Oops! Guess I'll have to get after it next weekend.

Though I'll be venturing close to Ann Arbor on Saturday with Hashbash going on. Pray for me.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
The air quality sucks right now. I can feel the crud in the back of my throat. This is lame af.

Last edited:

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
It been scattered storms all week i feel. I'm surprised I haven't lost power yet this year. It's like guaranteed with dte

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know any good ways to find a temp foster home for a dog, preferably in the Dearborn Heights area, or nearby?

My sister is in mental health/alcohol treatment and I've been watching her dog, but it's not working out. Causing too much tension between my wife and I, and our dog and cat are not doing well with the new dog here.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know any good ways to find a temp foster home for a dog, preferably in the Dearborn Heights area, or nearby?

My sister is in mental health/alcohol treatment and I've been watching her dog, but it's not working out. Causing too much tension between my wife and I, and our dog and cat are not doing well with the new dog here.
I think HVA in Washtenaw will hang on to people's pets temporarily in extenuating circumstances.