• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 14, 2019
The day after being released on Steam, Metro Exodus peaks at 15.357 players, and hits Steam's top selling game game, despite being avaliable for pre-order on Steam last year, having a EGS exclusivity, and being avaliable on MS Gamepass while MS was offering free memberships. Not bad for a one year old single player game.

Metro Exodus - Steam Charts

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
Metro is such a good series. There are only a few titles I buy day one and that's now one of them. I need to track down some of the books.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
What were the day one numbers on EGS?
2.5 times what last light sold, which is 12k peak, so lets say 30k. Also exodus had a 12k peak i think last year with pre orders, so this would add to that i guess. egs doesnt like to give numbers, just vague estimations and wording like 2.5x than last light, which was not hard to beat since it wasnt as popular.

Oct 27, 2017
2.5 times what last light sold, which is 12k peak, so lets say 30k. Also exodus had a 12k peak i think last year with pre orders, so this would add to that i guess. egs doesnt like to give numbers, just vague estimations and wording like 2.5x than last light, which was not hard to beat since it wasnt as popular.

Are we talking about sales numbers or concurrent players? I feel conflating them is not fair at all.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how good the numbers would have been if it had launched on Steam in the first place instead of a year late. Such a missed opportunity with this game. I actually was going to buy it this week but I decided to wait until it's under $10.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the Metro Exodus Gold version on Steam yesterday.

$38 if I remember correctly.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished the Two Colonels a little while ago. This version seems far more stable than the Windows store version. Can't even remember how many times the Windows store version crashed on me.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks that while this whole EGS thing ends up working out for developers? They have gotten their console sales, some from EGS and the payout from Epic themselves. And now, one year later, the game launches in Steam and, apparently, it's selling quite well. Sure, one can argue that if it had released in Steam first it would have sold better, and we don't know much did Epic pay. Nevertheless, it seems that Epic paying to keep games from Steam has definitely slowed down.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
A lot of people also bought the game the single day it was available last year on Steam. I think Steamspy had it stuck on 200k-500k owners for the last year.

Would be nice if that site went back to being more accurate again.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Am I the only one who thinks that while this whole EGS thing ends up working out for developers? They have gotten their console sales, some from EGS and the payout from Epic themselves. And now, one year later, the game launches in Steam and, apparently, it's selling quite well. Sure, one can argue that if it had released in Steam first it would have sold better, and we don't know much did Epic pay. Nevertheless, it seems that Epic paying to keep games from Steam has definitely slowed down.

It's working well for them because Epic keeps paying them. It would probably sell much more if they released it on Steam at launch.

Tim Sweeney have mentioned several times that there will be more exclusives coming this year.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
A lot of people also bought the game the single day it was available last year on Steam. I think Steamspy had it stuck on 200k-500k owners for the last year.

Would be nice if that site went back to being more accurate again.
Well it's run by someone who now works for Epic, so there might be the tiniest conflict of interest.

Luckily, Valve said they're going to be releasing ways to get more accurate stats about games this year in a recent blog post.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
It's working well for them because Epic keeps paying them. It would probably sell much more if they released it on Steam at launch.

Tim Sweeney have mentioned several times that there will be more exclusives coming this year.

Well of course, that was exactly my point. Sure, they lose Steam sales, but judging from the $10 million they allegedly paid for Control, it's likely that the EGS payout more than covers the difference of any possible sales.

Sure, not doubting there will be exclusives, but it's been a while that a big name like Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus or Control hasn't gone EGS exclusive.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Well of course, that was exactly my point. Sure, they lose Steam sales, but judging from the $10 million they allegedly paid for Control, it's likely that the EGS payout more than covers the difference of any possible sales.

Sure, not doubting there will be exclusives, but it's been a while that a big name like Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus or Control hasn't gone EGS exclusive.

They did secure a deal with Red Dead Redemtion 2. There is no doubt they are losing money on this. Tim Sweeney pretty much admitted that, but also said it was necessary when trying to establish a store. The question is for how long they can keep doing it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
To hell with Epic and their terrible practices.
Instead of trying to compete with Steam on a services level they just throw endless money at developers and rob consumers of choice.
I don't like it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for a sub-25€ or so sale with all DLC included.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Started the series with Exodus (day 1, Collector's Edition)- an awesome experience on the PS4 (wasn't buggy for me).

Strongly considering the Switch releases. Though I have a feeling the trilogy will drop on next gen consoles.

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
200k copies is nothing compared to what it could have sold if it launched on steam. Game deaerves to be a million seller oc PC, but its not, thanks to greed on both parts, not just egs.

But last light peaked at 12k, so i guess they were not very confident about their product.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
That's startlingly low for a new release but for a game that I can (did) complete for a quid and has been out for a year on another platform it's not that bad tbh

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
200k copies is nothing compared to what it could have sold if it launched on steam. Game deaerves to be a million seller oc PC, but its not, thanks to greed on both parts, not just egs.

But last light peaked at 12k, so i guess they were not very confident about their product.

What were the numbers of Metro 2033 and Last Light?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

4A Games didn't get that money, Deep Silver did - who is now a part of Embracer Group aka THQ Nordic AB (the guys who did an AMA with 8chan).

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
What were the numbers of Metro 2033 and Last Light?
Last light peaked at 12k, probably around 200k, but in the lon run after all these years probably reached a million, but it was given away too for free abd humble bundles. So who knows, fact is, saying 2.5x than last light is not really sating much. It means it sold better as expected, but not that great either. Exodus did better, but didnt reach its full potential. Pre order numbers before it got taken out of steam that day, were 12k peak, a year ago, same as last light all time peak.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Wasnt redux free for previous owners? In the long run they probably did reach these numbers, but they were also given out in humble bundles and stuff.
Wasn't it discounted?
DS posted this on Steam. I can't recall if it was the last word on it.

This is where I got the figure from, bit vague on those deets.
www.gamespot.com

Metro Redux Sells 1.5 Million Copies

Plus, remastered versions of Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light are now available on Mac.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Hope Exodus sold well enough for the to truck on with a 4th Metro game. I would love them exploring the universe further. Head to other metros (St Petersburg being the obvious one) and expand both level types they've dabbled in so far (the more focussed and the more open-world kind). I'd love for them to build a vast metro sandbox labyrinth for us to get lost in.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
They're lucky they got that.

Especially after selling it for $10 on EGS, and giving it away on Game Pass and even Stadia. An entire year of being able to play Exodus for next to nothing before it hit Steam.

I want to see Exodus sell like shit at this point. Deep Silver needs to know that you take that Epic check to block Steam users, don't expect them to come running back to you a year later.

Spend your money on a more deserving game like Wolcen instead.