• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 2, 2018
NICE! Games that pushing PC hardware to the limit is always good in my book,even if I can't max them until my next upgrade..

This doesn't make much sense to me. Parameters such as the number of bounces etc. should be adjustable independently, regardless of which actual rendering technology backend/implementation you choose. There should be no point in selecting an implementation that makes less use of your hardware.
I think RTX simply will do more bounces or will reflect more objects/do better shadowing and DXR Fallback does less instances. So naturally, because there is less things to raytrace and at reduced quality, these will naturally run better on GPU's that have enough power to run that layer appropiately, but aren't up to snuff to go for the full fat RTX implementation, despite supporting it. Which is what mid-range Volta GPU's (GTX 2060) will end up being.

Can't wait till people max the game out and then complain that their 1070 is running it at sub-20fps!
Those people can't even max out the game (that is, using Nvidia RTX) with a GTX 1070 anyways ;)

What are the minimum required specs for Nvidia's new tech?
Nvidia's RTX tech? A Titan V at the moment. Any other Volta or equivalent GPU will run it too, but i doubt it will be powerful enough for it.
DXR Fallback will run on any GPU supporting DX12. So technically, a GTX 460 is probably one of the oldest GPU's that would support DXR. I doubt its actually useful though.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now Nvidia just needs to announce the successor to the GTX 10 series. Been on my 1070 for over a year, itching to upgrade.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the actual game is step closer to the new STALKER game we all secretly wish this was.

Ludens

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Unless an OP has set notifications for every post in his thread, he won't see that (Well, beyond the ''this person has replied in your thread'' remark). Usually i tag people if i want to target a specific user. But ill stop now, lol :)
Haha no issue at all. Never created a thread so i dont now how it really works. Thanks for the info ;-)

Haha no issue at all. Never created a thread so i dont now how it really works. Thanks for the info ;-)
I should clarify: Any user gets a generic ''User has replied in this thread'' notification if you don't change the settings. If you tag a user, he/she gets a specific ''This user has mentioned you'' notification.
However you can disable notifications altogether, and when you quote someone afterwards in a post, they won't get a notification either. So its a bit confusing what comes through as a notification. On numerous occassions i have had the impression that despite quoting a user, they probably didn't get a notification.

Or they just ignored the notification, haha. Sadly, when you have asked a question, it will leave that question unanswered, which is really annoying :/

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I wonder how next gen consoles will adapt this tech into their portfolio. raytracing will be a thing industry wide eventually(outside of offline CG that is) regardless of if nvidia has a specific exclusive implementation first or not. Its going to still be significantly intensive, but like tessellation, PBR and actual global illumination, when finely considered for the game implementation, it can likely have a great impact

Ludens

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I should clarify: Any user gets a generic ''User has replied in this thread'' notification if you don't change the settings. If you tag a user, he/she gets a specific ''This user has mentioned you'' notification.
However you can disable notifications altogether, and when you quote someone afterwards in a post, they won't get a notification either. So its a bit confusing what comes through as a notification. On numerous occassions i have had the impression that despite quoting a user, they probably didn't get a notification.

Or they just ignored the notification, haha. Sadly, when you have asked a question, it will leave that question unanswered, which is really annoying :/
If thats the case maybe we should notify one of the mods about it? We dont want OP's to miss any important questions like mine for example haha. Because i really want to know ;-)))

If thats the case maybe we should notify one of the mods about it? We dont want OP's to miss any important questions like mine for example haha. Because i really want to know ;-)))
I think you would need to PM a staff member for that :) I am sure they know of this, though.
If you need any more info, PM me instead. Else this becomes a meta thread inside a thread :)

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I wonder how next gen consoles will adapt this tech into their portfolio. raytracing will be a thing industry wide eventually(outside of offline CG that is) regardless of if nvidia has a specific exclusive implementation first or not. Its going to still be significantly intensive, but like tessellation, PBR and actual global illumination, when finely considered for the game implementation, it can likely have a great impact

Raytracing almost certainly won't be happening on next-gen consoles (PS5, "Xbox Two"). It's already been mentioned by EA SEED that it'll be a feature for next-next gen.

XwAUPBG.jpg

https://twitter.com/Svarlingo/status/975805695512776706?s=20

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5783469/

From someone working in the industry and on the technology it is a next next generation technology (PS6/Xbox three)

Confirmed just under by the guy from EA Seed who worked on the EA SEED Pica Pica demo

EDIT: 10/12 years

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Raytracing almost certainly won't be happening on next-gen consoles (PS5, "Xbox Two"). It's already been mentioned by EA SEED that it'll be a feature for next-next gen.

that's just a joke statement by him, there is no quantifiable measure to state that such a thing is impossible in some measure on next generation consoles, when GPUs right now will be getting the ability to use it as Nvidia exclusive tech.

It may not be as approximate or strong a method, but its assured that there will be developers who attempt to replicate the method themselves

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
that's just a joke statement by him, there is no quantifiable measure to state that such a thing is impossible in some measure on next generation consoles, when GPUs right now will be getting the ability to use it as Nvidia exclusive tech.

It may not be as approximate or strong a method, but its assured that there will be developers who attempt to replicate the method themselves

Maybe.

I mean, Imagination Technologies (PowerVR) has already had raytracing running on four mobile class GPUs in 2016 & 2017, their PowerVR Wizard architecture. I guess it's possible, but I'm not counting on consoles coming out in 2-3 years doing raytracing..

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
The only thing that has aged badly and was never that good to begin with in the first two Metro games was character models. Everything else holds up great maxed out on PC even today. I assume this will melt even the most expensive GPU's?