• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
4fed2bf976.png

Their PDF lists the global sell through at 2.3m with life-to-date being 2.74m.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
It's gotta pass Prime soon, if it hasn't already. Glad this series is finally hitting milestones again. Dread was my 2021 GOTY.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see a Samus game doing well. Kirby's next. It's their time to shine finally!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Prime's 2.8 million made it damn near an annual franchise for a decade. With Sakamoto clearly reinvigorated in his work in the franchise, and Tanabe back on board with Prime, the Metroid revival is here to stay for quite some time.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna take the best selling Metroid game crown from Prime soon....only to potentially loose it again to Prime Remake relatively soon after ? Stay tuned.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Warioware sold 1.24m. I wonder if that's considered bad to Nintendo

It's about half the sales of the really popular ones (DS and Wii), but depending on it's legs it might not end up too far behind. It's far from the worst in the series.

They're low budget games with the occasional hit, so it's hard to call any million sellers "bad". I'm sure they hoped for more but it sounds like it's doing fine (but not particularly great).

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
METROID IS BACK!

now give us an update on Prime 4 *runs*

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
weird to think that this will be the first Metroid game to outsell the first F-Zero game.

yep, no Metroid has ever sold more than the first F-Zero until now.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly an accomplishment for the franchise.

That said, a 2.7% attach rate seems abysmal vs games like Luigi's Mansion 3 at 11%.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

That said, a 2.7% attach rate seems abysmal vs games like Luigi's Mansion 3 at 11%.
(2D) Metroid will never be as big as the other big Nintendo franchises, no matter how good the game or the marketing is. This being said 3 million is a lock and that's still a fantastic result.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
weird to think that this will be the first Metroid game to outsell the first F-Zero game.

The first one got a disproportionately large push out of the gate. That was before they saw how Mario Kart trounced it without even trying, and realized they didn't need a "cool" franchise to compete with Sega*, lol. The later games never really got the same marketing and promotional backing. Whereas Metroid ended up getting a similarly big push with Prime for similar reasons, and really, selling nearly as much on a platform with less than half the base is pretty impressive.

*(Kinda funny that they even ended up handing the F-Zero off to Sega, lol.)

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018

Without seeing the numbers I'm not surprised. Growing up, virtually everyone had F-Zero. Like anyone who had an SNES was basically guaranteed to have it. I think it might have been a pack-in at some point?

Madao

Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Without seeing the numbers I'm not surprised. Growing up, virtually everyone had F-Zero. Like anyone who had an SNES was basically guaranteed to have it. I think it might have been a pack-in at some point?

it was never a pack-in but it did have the benefit of being a launch game. the one other F-Zero game to be a launch game also sold well (MV which sold a million)

it's one reason i think the only correct time to launch an F-Zero game is as a launch title. the ones that weren't launch titles were the ones that sold so bad the series died.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
after 4 playthroughs, I'm comfortable with calling it the best Metroid and one of the best games of all time. Nobody has done 2D movement like this before. NOBODY.

It deserves to sell more.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Oooof, those Prime 2 numbers. Why the gigantic dropoff? After Prime 1, you'd think people would be absolutely ravenous for more. I know I was...

In any case, I guess that explains why they're (apparently?) only re-releasing the first one. :-/
It had a reputation for being both fairly different and fairly difficult, didn't get *quite* as big of a promotional push, and the GCN was already waning at that point. Prime also had decent runs as a Player's Choice collection title (budget line of best-sellers), as a console pack-in, and as a bundle with Echoes demo, so it had a longer tail than most.

And the reason they're currently only remaking Prime 1 is supposedly that Prime 4 ate up a chunk of the staff, so they didn't have the resources to do all 3. Also supposedly that the scope grew beyond enhanced/HD port or simple remaster. And it *is* specifically for the anniversary of the first Prime anyway. IIRC it's claimed Echoes and Corruption may still happen eventually, but I may be misremembering that.

Last edited:

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017

It's a niche franchise and a very niche genre, aimed at an audience that already plays these kinds of games.

Attach rate isn't a meaningful metric for games targeting a narrow market. For sales to grow in direct proportion with hardware, the game needs to have near-universal appeal.

For a game like this, the potential audience is capped way, way lower. This is as good as it gets.

Madao

Oct 26, 2017
Panama
It had a reputation for being both fairly different and fairly difficult, didn't get *quite* as big of a promotional push, and the GCN was already waning at that point. Prime also had decent runs as a Player's Choice collection title (budget line of best-sellers), as a console pack-in, and as a bundle with Echoes demo, so it had a longer tail than most.

And the reason they're currently only remaking Prime 1 is supposedly that Prime 4 ate up a chunk of the staff, so they didn't have the resources to do all 3. Also supposedly that the scope grew beyond enhanced/HD port or simple remaster. And it *is* specifically for the anniversary of the first Prime anyway. IIRC it's claimed Echoes and Corruption may still happen eventually, but I may be misremembering that.

there's also a big chunk of people who bounced after the first Prime because they didn't like the control scheme/it wasn't like the other FPS out at the time.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Damn I voted 5M LTD. It might still get there, but I think it will fall short. Maybe Era voting it GOTY will make it sell some extra.
(hey it might get a few dozen copies more)