• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Posting my art i did 1 month ago to celebrate, still not sure if i buy it or not (i have no patience for any long boss nowadays)

FBLWQgLWQAEPlIg

Amazing artwork. Well done!

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn Adam is useless, those network stations are just a waste of time. The game cannot be more linear than that, no need for tips or information on what to pay attention or what to do.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
The
Underwater Part in the third area with the "squids"
looks stunning, I also can't get over the
Dark parts before things are powered up, the neon on Samus and the pads you stand on
. Over all great looking game.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Super Metroid is my fav of all time, I can't believe we actually got a new 2D Metroid. Absolutely loving it so far.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This game definitely shines more as a handheld gane than a TV experience; I wasn't blown away by the presentation of the first twenty minutes but man the level design and the feel of controlling Samus is spot-on. The challenge level feels just right too: scrub enemies can take a good chunk of damage, and you're incentivized to do melee counters for all the health pickups enemies drop.

Reached the third area and I'm hooked. It's good to be back.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised at folks saying this is Fusion's structure because I'm just not getting that sense at all.

Fusion felt far more guided and hand-holdy than this (I just reached Burenia).

Dread in comparison has definitely felt less like it's pulling me by the nose so far, and I've gotten stuck several times in my couple of hours play too, which has actually felt great coming off a replay of Fusion a few weeks back where that just never happened to me.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My copy of the game is supposed to show up today, but UPS sucks and my SWOLED won't be here until Monday.

Also I managed to get the amiibo, they were available for a few minutes on Nintendo's store!

Rexskel

Aug 27, 2021
Woo boy what a fight

Getting to the Central Unit for the yellow EMMI was really fun but charging the Omega Cannon was pretty challenging! The bastard boosts quickly whenever it's not hit by the cannon which makes the timing really tight before it closes in on Samus. Was really fun though!

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Woo boy what a fight

Getting to the Central Unit for the yellow EMMI was really fun but charging the Omega Cannon was pretty challenging! The bastard boosts quickly whenever it's not hit by the cannon which makes the timing really tight before it closes in on Samus. Was really fun though!

I'm interested to see how they change them up beyond the Yellow. I can see glimmers of uniqueness in each of their encounters thus far.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
EMMIs suck! They're not even fun.

Yeah they're pretty awful and they don't even do the thing they're supposed to, give you dread, because you get one hit killed then you spawn 10 seconds away. I prefer that to the alternative of starting miles away but they really are terrible.

Everything else = great. The EMMI's = awful in every way.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Thinking my Walmart release day delivery isn't gonna pan out considering it's "in transit" from 9 hours away.

At least I got a free mug. :(

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Just remember that after you take off the initial armor on the emmi's heads, you can run away to a better spot for the kill shot.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The combat in this game is so good.

I love Super Metroid, just played through it over the last few days, but a lot of times that game throws so much combat damage and poorly telegraphed attacks at you that encounters can feel like stat checks more than skill checks. This game gives you more options and more reasonable telegraphs, but punishes you hard for screwing up. I love it.

And I love the EMMIs so far. Really tense when one catches you and you start looking for alternate pathways to get around it. Someone on the team must have enjoyed RE2 lol.

A 2D Metroid and you can't use the D-pad? What the Fuck, Nintendo?

This really bothered me until I started utilizing free aim more and realized why you needed analog control.

Recreate

Sep 16, 2021
Took me a little bit to understand the whole Emmi thing But once you understand that you can see their position on their map and use it in your favour it becomes slightly easier

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I hate the EMMI's so much. One-hit kills, more than a few times just by going through a door and instant game over. I have unlocked the Omega gun for the second one now... how many shots is it supposed to take to kill the EMMI? I got in six charged omega shots or so running in a loop before he got me. Turned off irritated :/ Pity.
The door you had to machine-gun fire to get out of the room was shaped like the EMMI's head for a reason. You're supposed to use the rapid fire on his face until it melts the armour off and then use the charged blast to destroy it.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still not super comfortable with the controls, but the game is amazing so far. Feels like Metroid, but also iterates on the formula a bit, the first boss was great fun!
Music is quality, but not Metroid's best.
One of the best games of the year for sure, and lives up to Metroid name.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Yeah they're pretty awful and they don't even do the thing they're supposed to, give you dread, because you get one hit killed then you spawn 10 seconds away. I prefer that to the alternative of starting miles away but they really are terrible.

Everything else = great. The EMMI's = awful in every way.
I quite like them

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Woo boy what a fight

Yes! It was amazing.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So, looks like either GameStop or LSO is bullshitting about the status of my order, but GameStop DID ship me out a replacement copy and used FedEx for delivery this time. I don't know why they didn't just use them in the first place...

Jan 29, 2018
Staring out the window for the FedEx truck, even though if it came right now I'd still have to work the rest of the day.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Still bummed the music isn't fuego, but the sound design is fantastic.

Fieran

Oct 29, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Finished earlier, about 10 and a half hours to get 100% on normal, though final playtime came up as just below 8 hours, probably doesn't count time in menus and the map. Really bloody good, though some of those speed booster puzzles are nasty.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Picked up Dread at Best Buy today. Was rather surprised on the amount of people in line picking up Dread. Three of them bought a Switch with Dread.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Emmi's definitely seem like a positive to me so far. The AI seems really good. EMMi crawling up the opposite wall as me as I'm running away was creepy and really cool. They seem to know exactly what they are doing, very well designed.

Opinions seem split, wonder where we'll be when the dust settles.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

I've spent so much time on the final boss, just getting my ass kicked. I've decided to just go back and explore old areas and collect more missile upgrades/energy tanks and such that I missed and then go back to trying to beat the final boss.

I specifically chose these screenshots in my tweet as they're not super spoilery as they'd all been shown in trailers and early screenshots in the marketing. BUT I have hundreds of screenshots I want to sort through and select a few to showcase soon. Some of the areas, upgrades, suits and cinematics look incredible.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Samus speaking in Chozo language after multiple games in silent (Other M not counting), was one of the most badass moments in the entire series.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Not a big fan of the EMMI's so far, it just seems like the point of the game is to go from one too the next. They already feel overused and I'm not that far. Probably should've had fewer encounters, but made them longer and more involved. There's not much feeling of panic because if you get corned you're basically just screwed.

I'm also finding it frustrating that
I don't have the morph ball yet. What Metroid game do you still not have the morph ball after over an hour. It feels like such a huge part of the game has been stripped away, and it's such a tease seeing all the elevated single block pathways I can't get to. Also making me miss secrets and paths more because I can't just bomb the shit out of everything. Really hope I get it soon…

Don't like the map much. There was something about the simplicity of the previous games that made looking at it so easy with letters, circles and squares. Now there's just so many icons, the maps not longer in squares and there's just so much going on that it's a lot less clear. Upgrades as well don't really stand out in the environments. Reminds me of the thread a few days ago where people were talking about graphical improvements actually making games more confusing because there's less contrast the added detail.

God this feels incredible to play though. Samus is so smooth and fast. For the first time in a Metroid game it feels like I can actually use reflexes to win against bosses, unlike all the other games where you're not really fast enough to dodge attacks so they're more about learning the patterns through trial and error. I can move Samus exactly how I want to and as quickly as I think to. It also makes running from EMMI pretty darn fun, feels like you're doing parkour or something. I don't miss not being able to use the Dpad at all. It'd be too slow and inaccurate given Samus' 360 degree attack range and the speed of her movements. Definitely wouldn't be able to play the game properly with it.

Surprised at folks saying this is Fusion's structure because I'm just not getting that sense at all.

Fusion felt far more guided and hand-holdy than this (I just reached Burenia).

Dread in comparison has definitely felt less like it's pulling me by the nose so far, and I've gotten stuck several times in my couple of hours play too, which has actually felt great coming off a replay of Fusion a few weeks back where that just never happened to me.
Granted I've only played for about an hour and a half so far, but it almost feels more linear than Fusion, since it's constantly closing off your paths backwards. Only difference is it doesn't hold your hand at all and leaves you completely in the dark. I've already gotten lost 3 times because of it, but it's never too long to find my way because it blocks off so many of your other paths as you go and stops you from backtracking.

A lot of this sounds negative, but it's just what I've noticed that feels off so far. Absolutely loving it and it's so much fun.

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Just done the second major boss and really enjoying it, but it does feel exceptionally linear so far. It's very conspicuous the tricks it does to funnel you onward. It's really not been possible to backtrack much. In some ways it's feeling more restrictive than Fusion: that game told you to go to sector x/y/z and a specific room, but it felt like there were lots of places to at least branch off and find some stuff, before returning to the critical path.

Here you technically don't get told where to go, but you get railroaded hard by the environment with few chances to go and find something off the path, and when you get an upgrade the way back is often blocked off. Curious if it will continue in that vein.

I've never been under much of an impression that any game in the series is particularly non-linear, but it's a little on the nose here.