Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Not about aesthetics, but I think this thread made me realize why I love Fusion so much. I've never been a big fan of the "Metroidvania" formula, but Fusion clicked with me in a big way. It absolutely had something to do with the atmosphere, but I think the linearity helped it a lot. I'm just not a fan of backtracking in games unless it's a small(ish) map.

Then again, I just RTTP'd Metroid Prime (didn't beat it when it first released, played to completion a few weeks ago) and I did enjoy it quite a bit -- certainly more than I did back in the GC's heyday. Could've done with less backtracking, though.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good game, but way too bright and cartoony to be considered the best aesthetically for my taste. I also -- contrary to a lot of opinions apparently -- don't like the snappy movement nearly as much as the more deliberate, admittedly floaty controls of Super.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What game were you playing??? ZM is the best 2D metroid period. Fusion is Metroid with training wheels.

I don't agree in the slightest. ZM, to me, seemed completely limp, with only the vague illusion of openness and freedom. Just because you don't see the guard rails doesn't mean they aren't there. It's very linear and it tells you where to go. I really didn't like it.

Fusion is linear, but it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. It's focused and inspired. ZM only seems to exist because someone shrugged and told someone else to make it happen and that person shrugged and said fine whatever. It's rote.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I don't agree in the slightest. ZM, to me, seemed completely limp, with only the vague illusion of openness and freedom. Just because you don't see the guard rails doesn't mean they aren't there. It's very linear and it tells you where to go. I really didn't like it.

Fusion is linear, but it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. It's focused and inspired. ZM only seems to exist because someone shrugged and told someone else to make it happen and that person shrugged and said fine whatever. It's rote.
Did you play the game through to the end? Did you watch the video?

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Zero Mission really isn't linear at all, it's the second most open game in the series (with super being the most open). There's a ton of sequence breaks and out of order things you can do (getting the varia suit early, getting through the game without the varia suit, early super missiles, early screw attack, etc.). Also the game doesn't really tell you where to go often. Aside from the very first Chozo statue, all the others are optional and can be skipped quite easily. Even then, you don't have to follow the advice of the chozo statues, you can still wander off and go get other upgrades or do things out of order (like fighting Ridley before Kraid).

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Zero Mission
giphy.gif

metroid_zero_mission_review_04.gif

metroidzmkraida.gif

Fusion and Zero Mission are peak Metroid.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, ZM and its western Comic book art design was the best in series. Allowed it to have bright colors and still have horrifying designs

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Fusion is such a joy of game to play. Visually stunning, great music and sense of discovery. I'll need to play them again.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want to segue into Castlevania and give Portait of Ruin on the DS a shoutout. Maybe the only Castlevania I've finished (and I later bought the earlier released Dawn of Sorrow with the meme-worthy greatest hits cover which was considered the better game by many).

So it wasn't as good as some others in the series, but something drew me into it. And it wasn't the main mechanic twist of being able to swap between two characters on the fly to solve puzzles and fight some monsters. That I think wasn't actually that good and the game may have been better on the new game plus modes where you could control a single character(s) that had a more comprehensive ability to solve monsters and navigate the castle, but with a different style or way of doing it. Hugely added to the replayability.

I think Portrait of Ruin also had basically a second whole map or mirror castle after reaching a turning point, effectively doubling the initially expected size of the game. Same sort of deal as going into the second gen Pokémon games blind (Gold/Silver/Crystal).

Fuck games like that are so incredibly powerful when they massively exceed expectations. I need to find more and make a distinct categorical list if no one has done so already outside of some trashy clickbait top 10 YouTube video or article.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I think Portrait of Ruin also had basically a second whole map or mirror castle after reaching a turning point, effectively doubling the initially expected size of the game. Same sort of deal as going into the second gen Pokémon game
Nah, it was a point towards the end where you did mirrored versions of some of the levels from earlier in the game with stronger enemies. It was fine, but it wasn't the WTF moment that the inverted castle in Symphony was.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it was a point towards the end where you did mirrored versions of some of the levels from earlier in the game with stronger enemies. It was fine, but it wasn't the WTF moment that the inverted castle in Symphony was.

I didn't remember quite the extent of the reveal since it was probably over 10 years ago when I played the game, but thanks for the reminder.

Basic point still stands though!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid: Samus Returns is so shockingly bland, visually. Everything looks the same, the color palette is so drab.

Why didn't they take a cue from the GBA games??

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Metroid: Samus Returns is so shockingly bland, visually. Everything looks the same, the color palette is so drab.

Why didn't they take a cue from the GBA games??
I wish more games used that whole pulp comic book style.
Nightmare_mf_Sprite_2.png

Nightmare looks like something out of a horror comic. The only other games I can think of that used that style are some of the late NES games like Shatterhand or Batman.

Oct 27, 2017
Could you compare Metroid Fusion to System Shock 2?

I feel like a 2D System Shock 2 esque game could sell a lot and spark the imagination for a lot

it'd take some tooling and what not but you have a good base with Metroid Fusion

Oct 27, 2017
I feel there was a ton of overcompensation in terms of gameplay with Metroid: Zero Mission

I miss playing all three 2D metroids :(

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Fusion was great but Prime overshadowed it by being in the conversation of GOAT and coming out on the same day.