Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Launched in the back half of the Gamecube's life, under the shadow of Halo 2, and wedged as the second game in a trilogy between one of Nintendo's most innovative and greatest games of all time and one of the earliest demonstrations of the Wii's revolutionary control scheme - is one of the greatest games I have ever played....
latest

Today, I barely see discussions of this game on it's own merits. Typically, it's only brought up when the entire trilogy is discussed - mostly with comments that can be summed up as "it was good, but not as good as the first one," "the dark world all looks the same," or "the key hunt at the end was tedious." Nothing really scathing, but also, sadly, nothing about what this game gets so right in my opinion. Metroid is my favorite franchise, and there are a lot of traits that define a Metroid game in my eyes. I firmly believe Prime 2 still houses the best excecution of some of these traits, or at least one of the best. So, I'll go in depth on two or three of them first....
MV5BMzUxNzBhYTYtODM3Zi00YzY5LTliZjgtZGU1YjY3Yjk5NjgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMxMzE5MTg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,706,1000_AL_.jpg

1. The Sense of Progression. One of the greatest feelings in a Metroid game is building up Samus' arsenal to where you can just blast through enemies at the end game. Prime 2 takes that to the
next level because, at the beginning of the game, the very atmosphere of the dark world can hurt her, draining her energy by the second until she finds the next safe zone. Over time, her immunity to this builds up. At the start of the game, her weapons are weak, limited and the atmosphere drains her energy. At the end, she's a full arsenal that can switch between the light and dark worlds with ease.

2. Atmosphere. Ok, Prime 1 has a fantastic atmosphere too, but Prime 2's is amazing in a completely different way. Never before have I played in a world that felt so desolate, lonely, and sad. And that's on the LIGHT version... Dark Aether elicits a sense of unease and dread like no other in the series. Echoes is an insanely depressing and dreary game, and not in a bad way. It beautifully captures the feeling of a people in hiding, on the verge of extinction as they watch their civilization crumble. The world design and music both aid in conveying this atmosphere so well.
latest

amorbis_by_razputin93-d7886ac.jpg

3. Bosses. Prime 2 simply has the most spectacular, epic, and involved bosses in the series. They are improved in every way from Prime 1, and are complex, multiple-phased affairs that are so satisfying to beat. With Quadraxis being my all time favorite in the whole series. I was happy to see Samus Returns take inspiration from the Prime games for it's Diggernaut boss.

I also think Prime 2 has two of the best environments in the series, Torvus Bog and Sanctuary Fortress, with Sanctuary Fortress ties with Phendrana Drifts as my favorite. I've looked online and can't find any pictures that do these two environments justice, but those who know the game know what I'm talking about.

Also, Prime 2 has the best title theme in the series, and one of the greatest of all time

Anyway I wanted to get this out there before I go to bed, but I'll probably edit it some more reasons I love this game tomorrow, including the beam ammo system. But in the wake of Prime 4, I wanted to get some appreciation for this game going!
tumblr_n7nnu5G1Kl1qk6vrmo5_500.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The worst Metroid prime game of all of them. I had to force me to play through it, it was such a pain in the ass. I love Metroid, especially prime 1 but after this one I didn't want to touch a prime game again anytime soon.

I still need to play prime 3 and am really looking forward to prime 4 but echoes killed my Metroid hype at that time for sure.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The worst Metroid prime game of all of them. I had to force me to play through it, it was such a pain in the ass. I love Metroid, especially prime 1 but after this one I didn't want to touch a prime game again anytime soon.

I still need to play prime 3 and am really looking forward to prime 4 but echoes killed my Metroid hype at that time for sure.
Well, the appreciation thread is off to a great start! Lmao.

But seriously, I'll take any discussion on this game. I just think it's worth discussing.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I hated the dark world mechanic so much I had to force myself to finish it. I prefer 1 and 3 over 2. I don't consider 2 a bad game, I just think the two worlds mechanic isn't for me. Made the game too tedious.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
Worst prime and second to worst Metroid game for me. The confusing level design and enemy encouters made it almost unplayable for me. It's the only Metroid game I haven't finished.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sanctuary Fortress is a goddamn marvel. And the Torvus Bog subterranean theme? An incredible rendition of the underground depths of Super Metroid's Brinstar.

It didn't quite reach the same heights as the first game (it was marred by Dark Aether), but it retained a lot of what made it special.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game, but the dark world mechanic is just awful. I spend lots of time just waiting for my life to refill and that was simply not fun. I still prefer it to Prime 3 as the map design is better and the lore was pretty cool.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Sorry but another dislike of the game from me. With Metroid Prime 1 I played through that trying to find everything. I scanned as much as I could. I loved it that game so much.

But I was so let down by MP2. I didn't like the dark world mechanic. There was an overuse of the colour purple. Checkpoints after dying were spread too far apart. The whole world wasn't as interesting and the game didn't seem to have any "soul". Not as much care was taken with this as it was with the original.

I couldn't bring myself to complete it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
You already mentioned my reason for not talking about it so much, apart from Sanctuary Fortress the locations in the game just sort of meld into one in my mind whereas I pretty much remember every second of the first one. Still a great game

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sanctuary Fortress is a goddamn marvel. And the Torvus Bog subterranean theme? An incredible rendition of the underground depths of Super Metroid's Brinstar.

It didn't quite reach the same heights as the first game (it was marred by Dark Aether), but it retained a lot of what made it special.

Oh wow I totally forgot about that track it's amazing!

I'm pretty sure Samus Returns' version is a remix of it, making it a remix of a remix lol

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I loved, loved loved Prime 1 and was super hyped for Prime 2. But I could not enjoy and still don't enjoy the dark world mechanic. Any game that makes simply existing in the world harmful annoys the hell out of me. It's like playing an rpg where the whole world uses that shitty poisonous water trope and every step you take causes damage.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
It was enjoyable but way too confusing for it's own good. I literally have no desire to play it even again and I certainly wouldn't have the patience at 29 years of age now. For those thinking the Triforce hunt was bad in Wind Waker, it's got nothing on the key hunt at the end of this game.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
'Appreciation thread' people, come on.

I really need to replay this game again, don't remember it all too well, but definitely enjoyed my time with it back in the day. Spend more time in the multiplayer too than I am willing to admit.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Played this for the first time on Wii U either earlier this year or late last year. I loved it, personally, but I knew going into it what the main mechanic was and that it was considered to be "Prime for hardcore Metroid fans," or however it's been described. I thought the dual worlds were well-implemented and wish there were more games riffing on that premise.

My only real issue with it is the same issue I have with all Metroid games - I just don't like bullet sponge bosses. That and the spider ball boss (idr its name) was a bit of a pain in the ass.
Come to think of it, I never beat the final boss. :/

Last edited:

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I need to replay this and the first one at some point and I haven't played this in over a decade, but from memory it was my least favourite of the Prime trilogy. I didn't really enjoy the dark world mechanic and the constant visor switching. Still a solid 8/10 but a step down from Prime for me.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, forgot to mention that Sanctuary Fortress was fucking amazing, best level in the game by FAR

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
'Appreciation thread' people, come on.

I really need to replay this game again, don't remember it all too well, but definitely enjoyed my time with it back in the day. Spend more time in the multiplayer too than I am willing to admit.
Forgot about the multiplayer too, never even touched it! It was good?

It was enjoyable but way too confusing for it's own good. I literally have no desire to play it even again and I certainly wouldn't have the patience at 29 years of age now. For those thinking the Triforce hunt was bad in Wind Waker, it's got nothing on the key hunt at the end of this game.
I found Prime 2's key Hunt to actually not be as bad as WW's Triforce Hunt. There were clues that pretty much pointed exactly where to go, and it allowed you to sweep through every area to pick up remaining upgrades. Wind Waker was bad for me because you had to grind rupees.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed! Though I felt Samus Returns borrowed a little too heavily from past tracks in the series without giving them their own identity (due to minimal remixing). : p
Definitely did, but after a decade without Prime, I'll give them a pass lol. I missed it. Hearing the arrival on aether theme when landing on SR388 almost brought a tear to my eye :(

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I remember going to go pick this up with a bunch of friends. They all got Halo 2, and I got MP2. I've played through every other mainline Metroid game, but I never made it far in this one, and never tried to go back to it. I don't even really remember why I dropped it. I think it was because I got stuck and didn't like the dark world thing.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing (...) the need to replay this.

It is my favourite Prime game and a fantastic Metroid experience. The planet felt very alien and uninviting. The dark world was oppressive and frightening and the sense of accomplishment when you could withstand its terrors was thrilling.

I can see why others would be bothered by its systems, its difficulty, its back-tracking, but I felt it all came together to form a standout experience.

To me it felt like Prime 1 was the template/the classical version: The Ocarina of Time.
Prime 2 is Majora's Mask. It is confident in the template and has fun exploring new things with it.

Sadly, I wasn't as fond of Prime 3, which I only consider a good game.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
People on this thread NEED to play this game again.

Echoes is an achievment in game design, atmosphere and music. One of the greatest, for sure

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Great game but will always live in the shadow of the original MP. Personally I am not a great fan of environments that constantly do damage to me as a player and having to rush through sections of the early game wasn't very enjoyable. I like taking my time exploring in Prime games and taking in the ambience.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Metroid Prime is in my top 5 games of all time . But with Echoes, I had de Sunchine, Majora's Mask, Resident Evil 5 and Halo 2 feeling... Following a "Best of All Time" type of game is just brutal... I hated it ! I need to try it again.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
People on this thread NEED to play this game again.

Echoes is an achievment in game design, atmosphere and music. One of the greatest, for sure
I see where people are coming from with their complaints, it's definitely hostile and univiting even for a Metroid game. However I agree with everything you said. The complete package is amazing, and it is a game that gets better with more replays, I've found.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why people hated the dark world. The life drain was only really a problem in the beginning before you get the Dark Suit. And that was kind of the point with the levels that come before it.

I also have to add that Prime 2 has the best endboss in the whole Metroid series. Just thinking back of the battle with the Ing Emperor gives me a shiver down my spine.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as good as the first one. I got lost easily with the map, and some bosses were hard and not intuitive.

Still, a great game. And it has some of my favorite themes, like the Sanctuary Fortress one:

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people hated the dark world. The life drain was only really a problem in the beginning before you get the Dark Suit. And that was kind of the point with the levels that come before it.

I also have to add that Prime 2 has the best endboss in the whole Metroid series. Just thinking back of the battle with the Ing Emperor gives me a shiver down my spine.
Yeah, I'm wondering if people who had issues with the dark world got past the Agon Temple where you got the Dark suit. After that it's not as much of a problem. It lasts long enough to make an impact and instill a natural fear of Dark Aether in the player, but also doesn't last too long.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One great thing I can say about Prime 2 is that the game has the best boss battles in the series -- they're simply stunning in gameplay and presentation. Quadraxis and Chykka are my personal favorites.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yeah, I'm wondering if people who had issues with the dark world got past the Agon Temple where you got the Dark suit. After that it's not as much of a problem. It lasts long enough to make an impact and instill a natural fear of Dark Aether in the player, but also doesn't last too long.
Can't help but feel like it gave a lot of people a similar sense of pressure that many feel when playing Majora's Mask with the 3 day mechanic. Or heck, to a lesser extent I felt that way in the main wolf sections of Twilight Princess where you're mostly just running from point A to point B to get back into Link form. The Dark World in Echoes was intimidating to me at first, but I took my time with those early sections and focused on the goal knowing that at some point I'd be able to explore with much less risk later on.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
One great thing I can say about Prime 2 is that the game has the best boss battles in the series -- they're simply stunning in gameplay and presentation. Quadraxis and Chykka are my personal favorites.

Holy shit I knew I was forgetting something in the OP. Prime 2's bosses are definitely the best in the series. Diggernaut in Samus Returns reminded me so much of Quadraxis I was so happy.

Very great game with a couple small flaws, but nothing that ruins it at all.

latest
That screen is one of my favorites in the franchise.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I see where people are coming from with their complaints, it's definitely hostile and univiting even for a Metroid game. However I agree with everything you said. The complete package is amazing, and it is a game that gets better with more replays, I've found.

The moment you overcome the difficult, Echoes only gets better each time you play. The original Prime is probably my favorite game ever, but Echoes is one of those games that deep down you know it's better, but never had the guts to admit.

I would go as far as to say it is one of the most underrated games... ever?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The moment you overcome the difficult, Echoes only gets better each time you play. The original Prime is probably my favorite game ever, but Echoes is one of those games that deep down you know it's better, but never had the guts to admit.

I would as far as say it is one of the most overrated games... ever?
You mean one of the most underrated? I would probably say one of the more underrated AAA games, yea.

Oct 25, 2017
Parts of Echoes I love. Most of the level and environment design is amazing, but then there are some odd or frustrating choices in place. But even with some rough spots I have a very hard time picking between 1 and 2 for the top Prime.

The key hunt is one of my least favorite aspects, but actually what I dread most about it is the slog of the beginning.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I would go as far as to say it is one of the most underrated games... ever?
I'd absolutely agree. The Metroid franchise as a whole is underrated, and Echoes it's most underrated game.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Least favorite of the trilogy but it was still excellent. Music was very good and I liked the light/dark world mechanic. I didn't like the ammunition system though.
But jeez, the game had moments when poor little young me was raging so goddamn much lol, I think I remember I threw my controller once (the controller was okay, I threw it on a pillow).

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Parts of Echoes I love. Most of the level and environment design is amazing, but then there are some odd or frustrating choices in place. But even with some rough spots I have a very hard time picking between 1 and 2 for the top Prime.

The key hunt is one of my least favorite aspects, but actually what I dread most about it is the slog of the beginning.

I LOVE the beginning of Echoes. It's so opressive, atmospheric and thematically bizarre. The Federation corpses hanging on the ceiling; the incredible data logs; the body possession; the first time in the Dark World...

It's a glimpse of a survival horror in a Metroid game. And it works wonderfully.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 2: The Dark World is as much a disappointment as Thor: The Dark World.

First game in the series was the true highlight. Wasn't a fan of the dark mechanic here, or the bounty hunters in the third.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's great, I enjoy the Wii one better with the slightly altered difficulty. My only criticism is the levels get visually repetitive, Torvus Bog and Agon Wastes aren't that memorable.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Absolutely amazing game. I still love Prime 1 more than the sequel but echoes is an amazing game. Hope we see the trilogy on the switch before the 4th game releases, please Nintendo!

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I totally forgot about that track it's amazing!

I'm pretty sure Samus Returns' version is a remix of it, making it a remix of a remix lol

Jesus, I need to play Samus Returns.

Least favorite of the trilogy but it was still excellent. Music was very good and I liked the light/dark world mechanic. I didn't like the ammunition system though.
But jeez, the game had moments when poor little young me was raging so goddamn much lol, I think I remember I threw my controller once (the controller was okay, I threw it on a pillow).

If not the only, but one of the problems I have with Echoes is the Spider Guardian. I wish it wasn't so badly designed

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Lowkey, I think anybody who complains about the dark world is just bad at video games. After you get the dark suit you barely take damage from it.

EDIT: Apparently the trilogy version's difficulty was slightly adjusted? I played it off Wii U digital.

The game's just an improvement from Prime 1 in every way. I didn't like Prime 1's environments that much (if you want to hear a really heretical opinion, I preferred Bion and Talvania in Federation Force to any of the environments in Prime 1).

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Lowkey, I think anybody who complains about the dark world is just bad at video games. After you get the dark suit you barely take damage from it.

EDIT: Apparently the trilogy version's difficulty was slightly adjusted? I played it off Wii U digital.

The game's just an improvement from Prime 1 in every way. I didn't like Prime 1's environments that much (if you want to hear a really heretical opinion, I preferred Bion and Talvania in Federation Force to any of the environments in Prime 1).
The boost and spider guardian are easier. Plus the spring ball makes the spider guardian easier.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for this thread, it is one of the best games I've ever played. The music, the bosses, the atmosphere are among the best in the series.

Oct 26, 2017
To this day I maintain that Metroid Prime 2 has the best silhouette design of any 3d game. Everything from texture design modelling and animation create a visual masterpiece who manages to walk the line between detail and noise.
It might be a bit tedious at times to play, but it ie a visual tour de force that is well worth it just to study the design.