• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth a play through on hard mode? Didnt struggle with difficulty on standard difficulty but had a few issues with couple of enemies and one boss

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is it worth a play through on hard mode? Didnt struggle with difficulty on standard difficulty but had a few issues with couple of enemies and one boss
It's more replay value. Ridley and MP are annoying at the end. The rest of it is fine imo. You might get more enjoyment from a FPS run like Stath has been doing here? Though they're doing it on hard mode, which I wouldn't recommend for you. In other words, no lock-on for combat. Especially if you missed 100% before, going for 100% in FPS mode might be fun, on Normal.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

I'd say no. Hard mode makes things more boring than challenging if anything if you're already competent with dodging attacks. It annoyingly also doubles the health of EVERYTHING including health/ammo crates.

I got a lot more enjoyment doing another playthrough on normal with trying to do a pseudo-speedrun or going for 100% items/scans.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there perhaps a guide available somewhere that tells you how many missile expansion packs and energy tanks you could have collected when you've reached a certain point?
I don't want to know where they are, I just want to know if I've missed things.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Got around to finishing up that no-lock-on/pointer controls/hard mode challenge run. It might sound anti-climatic to say that I didn't run into any real trouble from the Phazon Mines onward, but I didn't think I would. The Omega Pirate could have been pretty clutch if I didn't kill it *right* before it reformed its Phazon plating—since I was out of Power Bombs and missiles, was down to three tanks, and had three Power Beam pirates dancing around me—but one of the only reasons I was in that position was because I somehow screwed up my power bomb placement on the big guy three times. I also threw caution to the wind and used the Wavebuster on two pairs of Wave pirates that spawned, which blew through almost all of my missiles.

Like I said before, I had already practiced the last two bosses under these conditions so they weren't a problem. I probably won't do this exact same challenge in the future though, since those turrets in particular continued to be annoying to manually hit. That first encounter with the flying pirates was also really scary, although maybe it would have went better if I was confident enough to use super missiles. Still, this was an interesting playthrough considering that I've only ever made liberal use of the lock-on function when playing Metroid Prime, as is the recommended way to play the game (at least at first). Makes me wonder how difficult a no lock-on, hard mode run would be with the more limited classic control style, or on the Gamecube... maybe someday, lol.

This is awesome. The Phazon Beam being included too is a nice touch.

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the second and last wave of profile icons has been up on the Nintendo Switch Online app, in case anyone hasn't scooped them up yet. I forgot about them myself, but there's still about two days left to grab them.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Got around to finishing up that no-lock-on/pointer controls/hard mode challenge run. It might sound anti-climatic to say that I didn't run into any real trouble from the Phazon Mines onward, but I didn't think I would. The Omega Pirate could have been pretty clutch if I didn't kill it *right* before it reformed its Phazon plating—since I was out of Power Bombs and missiles, was down to three tanks, and had three Power Beam pirates dancing around me—but one of the only reasons I was in that position was because I somehow screwed up my power bomb placement on the big guy three times. I also threw caution to the wind and used the Wavebuster on two pairs of Wave pirates that spawned, which blew through almost all of my missiles.

Like I said before, I had already practiced the last two bosses under these conditions so they weren't a problem. I probably won't do this exact same challenge in the future though, since those turrets in particular continued to be annoying to manually hit. That first encounter with the flying pirates was also really scary, although maybe it would have went better if I was confident enough to use super missiles. Still, this was an interesting playthrough considering that I've only ever made liberal use of the lock-on function when playing Metroid Prime, as is the recommended way to play the game (at least at first). Makes me wonder how difficult a no lock-on, hard mode run would be with the more limited classic control style, or on the Gamecube... maybe someday, lol.

This is awesome. The Phazon Beam being included too is a nice touch.

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the second and last wave of profile icons has been up on the Nintendo Switch Online app, in case anyone hasn't scooped them up yet. I forgot about them myself, but there's still about two days left to grab them.
Impressive! I enjoyed your updates.

Cashedtastic

Oct 27, 2017
Spokane, WA
I finished my playthrough this morning and had a blast for just about the whole experience. It had been 20 years since I originally finished the GameCube version, a game that I both loved and hated. My clearest memories of the GameCube version? Fighting the controls and dying countless times to Thardus and in the blackout area. I also remember the game being scary to my young self, but was just enthralled here. The exploration is straight fun, the puzzles aren't overly complicated or challenging yet still rewarding, the combat is simple but not mindless, the game is just a joy to play. Here I am now with a zero death playthrough and the only portion of the game I found myself annoyed at was the platforming room with Fission Metroids leading up to the final boss. Definitely one of the best games I've played in years, up there with the best games I've ever played. Major credit to the updated controls and beautifully updated graphics. I never finished MP2, or even played MP3, so I eagerly anticipate Switch versions of those.

I played through Samus Returns prior to this, kicking off my Metroid March. Dread is next!

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I finished my playthrough this morning and had a blast for just about the whole experience. It had been 20 years since I originally finished the GameCube version, a game that I both loved and hated. My clearest memories of the GameCube version? Fighting the controls and dying countless times to Thardus and in the blackout area. I also remember the game being scary to my young self, but was just enthralled here. The exploration is straight fun, the puzzles aren't overly complicated or challenging yet still rewarding, the combat is simple but not mindless, the game is just a joy to play. Here I am now with a zero death playthrough and the only portion of the game I found myself annoyed at was the platforming room with Fission Metroids leading up to the final boss. Definitely one of the best games I've played in years, up there with the best games I've ever played. Major credit to the updated controls and beautifully updated graphics. I never finished MP2, or even played MP3, so I eagerly anticipate Switch versions of those.

I played through Samus Returns prior to this, kicking off my Metroid March. Dread is next!

Glad you loved it! Hope you love Dread too. It'll be interesting going from Samus Returns to Dread in such a short amount of time.

It's funny, when I first played through Prime as a kid I stopped around Thardus as well. I didn't have much time to play and would sometimes go weeks between the small sessions I had, resulting in me failing to get a good handle on the world and the controls.

edit: I just realized that you might have already played the other games before. well have fun regardless, lol

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing the game, just beat it. It's a really great game but I kind of wish people didn't hype this up so much cause I'm a tad disappointed it's not even close to "best ever" for me. The sheer amount of backtracking hurts and the relic hunt at the end was a bit much. My expectations might have just been too high though.

Rafroel

Oct 28, 2017
First time playing the game for me, and loving it so far. I've just gotten the plasma beam and four artifacts, could anyone give me a rough estimate of how many hours I've got left to go?

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus I'm missing one last missile container and even with some help from certain sites I can't find it. Mi tontoo!

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Good lord, I find this game so damn frustrating. I'm in the mid-game, close to getting grappling beam I think, and I'm so pissed. I couldn't get the stalactites to fall in a couple of rooms in the Drifts. I'm scrounging and scrounging for missiles and it's just not working. Then I see online you have to turn off the free aim during lock-on to make it happen. WTF? Why wouldn't they have fixed this in the remaster?? Then I finally get a handful of missiles and I mistakenly drain them in two seconds because I forgot I had the wave beam on because that's the weapon I had to use on the electrics fuckers under the water because I fell in trying to get to the other stalactite I DID manage to drop but you can't get there without making another one drop, too. And it's foggy as hell under the water so I spend time wandering around the perimeter every damn time I fall in. This game needs missile refills at the save points. And why can't I just toggle super missiles like in the 2D games? Fuck!!! I feel like dropping this and it's not even over a boss fight and I haven't even reached the mines everyone's bitched about. I swear if the game didn't mark your next objective I would never be able to complete this. Difficulty seems so high, owing entirely to the environments and controls. I can't imagine having done this was the old control scheme.

Oct 25, 2017
FInally beat it. This is my first time playing a Metroid Prime game. I really enjoyed it, however I don't think I loved it. I went in with super high expectations and while it's a really great game I don't think it met them.

What I liked
- The game is absolutely gorgeous. Might just be the best looking switch game. Most switch games look muddled on my 4k TV. This is the first one where it looks great. Also I love the little graphical effects on the visor and on the gun. It's honestly surprising how uncommon these are in modern games.
- Good pacing. The game does a great job of funneling new areas and upgrades at you.
- Incredible soundtrack. The game's soundtrack is so fucking good.

What I disliked
- The controls. The weren't terrible. But they def couldn't been a bit better. Especially the weapon swapping which felt clunky in the heat of battle. Also the grappling hook felt kind of janky at times.
- The menus suck. Navigating them and trying to find shit takes way longer than it should.
- Not enough interconnectivity. I wish there was fast travel or atleast more shortcuts. I was expecting backtracking but not to this degree. This is made even worse due to enemies respawning. It was a pain in the ass trying to navigate, especially if you were lost and didn't know where to go. Wish there were better shortcuts so you didn't have to redo entire levels whenever you wanted to quickly backtrack somewhere.

Overall, I still really enjoyed it, didn't quite reach the heights I was expecting, but it's still a solid ass game, and i'm looking forward to the next ones.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
What does getting all the chozo artifacts do? Considering grabbing them. Have 5/12, grabbing sixth one since it's near by.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally was able to find the last missile expansion. Thinking about it, back when I was a kid, I think I missed the same expansions. That knot or whatever on the tree at the beginning of the chozo ruins. Who would have guessed that there is going to be a missile container inside when you shoot a super missile at it.

Anyways, 100% run finished at normal. Someday this year, I'm gonna do the 100% hard mode run too.

That ending with the Dark Samus teaser tho. Totally forgot about that. SOOO good. Nothing beats Echoes to me. I want to play it so badly again. It was that good of a follow up on the first game. Please make a remaster of iiiit

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Finally was able to find the last missile expansion. Thinking about it, back when I was a kid, I think I missed the same expansions. That knot or whatever on the tree at the beginning of the chozo ruins. Who would have guessed that there is going to be a missile container inside when you shoot a super missile at it.

Anyways, 100% run finished at normal. Someday this year, I'm gonna do the 100% hard mode run too.

That ending with the Dark Samus teaser tho. Totally forgot about that. SOOO good. Nothing beats Echoes to me. I want to play it so badly again. It was that good of a follow up on the first game. Please make a remaster of iiiit
www.resetera.com

Metroid Prime Trilogy on Dolphin Primehack is the definitive way to play the series!

Intro: For years I had wanted to play the Metroid Prime series but for whatever reason never got around to playing it even though I owned the Trilogy version on the Wii and Wii U. I have been a long time user of the Dolphin Emulator but due to the first person motion controls and performance...

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Aight. I beat the game (13 hours; 82% complete). This is a very special game to me (bought/played it on launch as a kid in 2002).

Overall, the game holds up incredibly well. In 2002, this was an easy 10. Now, I would probably give it a 9.5 (which is still mighty impressive). The visuals are (still) fantastic, the music is sublime, the level design is well done, and the gameplay/lore are great. My main complaints are lack of customization on the map screen (this made backtracking annoying at times because I couldn't remember which obstacle was in a certain room), some tanky bosses, and a few gadgets that get barely any use (grapple, power bombs).

For Metroid Prime 4, I would love Samus to be more agile/mobile, for the bosses to be more similar to BOTW/Souls (in terms of usually being able to damage them whenever you can get in a hit, rather than "waiting" for their specific opening), and for the world to be larger, more interconnected (fewer elevators), and more bosses/mini bosses.

I always found Metroid Prime 2 to be the best Prime game, so I really hope they release that one (and 3) sometime soon.

Super happy I got to play this again <3

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game! Credits are rolling. Game was a 10.

Kinda was expecting a final escape, like in Dread, the only other Metroid I've played. I saw the escape immediately message and got hyped, but it was just a cutscene.

Really hope they remaster 2 in the same way they did this!! Excellent game.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the second save point of Phazon mines - for two out of my three previous playthroughs, the mines was always where I stopped playing (for the other one, I gave up after losing to the final boss). Not necessarily because of the difficulty spike, but the overall oppressiveness of its atmosphere was off-putting. Thankfully, I made it through that first gauntlet, so I feel pumped to get through the rest!

By the way, this game rocks hard. I'm having so much fun with it, and I think the dual-stick controls are a big reason why. It's so much snappier - and I say that as someone who played the Wii version.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the second save point of Phazon mines - for two out of my three previous playthroughs, the mines was always where I stopped playing (for the other one, I gave up after losing to the final boss). Not necessarily because of the difficulty spike, but the overall oppressiveness of its atmosphere was off-putting. Thankfully, I made it through that first gauntlet, so I feel pumped to get through the rest!

By the way, this game rocks hard. I'm having so much fun with it, and I think the dual-stick controls are a big reason why. It's so much snappier - and I say that as someone who played the Wii version.

I can agree, the atmosphere in the phazon mines is.. something else. Definitely off-putting, as you wrote. Wouldn't be able to describe it better. It's always been a place I was happy when I didn't need to get back there.

Oct 25, 2017
I got my NYXI gamecube style controller, and after trying it with Metroid Prime Remastered, I feel kinda dumb for not realizing something. I was excited about the prospect of using a "modern" dual stick gamecube controller with Prime Remaster's new dual stick control layout. Modern look controls, but still getting to use the OG style face buttons, it was practically the whole reason I bought it. But now I'm realizing that due to the difference in location of the X/Y buttons between this and the Pro Controller, missile combos are not able to be performed properly (thumb across A and Y).

g5TRWjs.jpg

What's odd is that on classic control scheme they give you the option of swapping Y/X function (specifically added for accommodating gamecube controllers vs pro controller), but on the modern control scheme that setting simply vanishes. If they'd only retained that option for that control scheme also, this wouldn't be a problem at all! So now it seems like this controller is only useful for playing this game with classic controls, because if you switch to Modern, you can't use the original face button layouts anyway.

80nLLuLl.jpg

Big bummer for me that I can't comfortably combine dual stick controls with classic face buttons, which would be perfect for controllers like the NYXI, the PowerA, or other similar controllers.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
People who played the original, what control style did you prefer? The dual stick felt kind of nice at first but I switched to the original control scheme and I feel like it flows so much better. Makes me appreciate the unique feel the game had.

I'm assuming prime 4 is going to be dual stick so it'll probably have a pretty different feel.

Nov 1, 2017
People who played the original, what control style did you prefer? The dual stick felt kind of nice at first but I switched to the original control scheme and I feel like it flows so much better. Makes me appreciate the unique feel the game had.

I'm assuming prime 4 is going to be dual stick so it'll probably have a pretty different feel.
Dual Stick, with the smallest amount of Gyro enabled.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I really disliked beam switching in the dual stick controls once that started being needed - I ended up switching to the "Hybrid" option because the gyro allows a move+aim functionality that's still more freeing than the original game and won't get out of sync like the gyro pointer controls.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I really disliked beam switching in the dual stick controls once that started being needed - I ended up switching to the "Hybrid" option because the gyro allows a move+aim functionality that's still more freeing than the original game and won't get out of sync like the gyro pointer controls.

I haven't tried the hybrid option yet, but I found myself just like fiddling around way too much with the dual stick controls. There's much less hand movement required with the game cube controls.

It really does seem like a lot of the platforming, navigation and shooting was nicely designed around the original controls. I think part of the fun of the original was constantly getting better at the controls and when you're backtracking just like smoking through areas that you previously had to be very mindful about navigating.

Also, I played this game so damn much back in the day that the muscle memory came back almost instantly.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time, but I've played this game so many times over the years that I was convinced I'd be able to hit 100% with no issues on my final sweep of the world map after getting the Phazon Suit. I got to about 90% before I was like "welp...no idea what I'm missing." There definitely were a few moments where I just had a vague recollection of "I think there's something here..." including the Chozo Artifact hidden in the pillar in Magmoor Caverns. Gonna use a guide for the remaining pickups, I think, but I've really enjoyed revisiting this game with a fresh coat of paint; it looks fantastic and holds up incredibly well.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
I just got the Gravity Suit and by accident I figured out I can jump using X while in Morph ball... I've been using the bombs up until this point...

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Gravity Suit and by accident I figured out I can jump using X while in Morph ball... I've been using the bombs up until this point...

I feel you lol. Even if it was my second playthrough after a century, I'm not sure the game tells you that you can do that. Or I was skipping texts when getting the morph ball bomb too fast…

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've had this game beaten for weeks. Really, for decades. I find myself wanting to say a few words about the game now, because I don't see myself ever playing Metroid Prime again, and I want to send it off.

When I say I'll never play it again, well, that's because I've already played it to completion at least over a half dozen times. See, Metroid Prime was my favorite game of all time growing up, supplanted only a handful of times and only by experiences that I found to be as revelatory. I think it largely holds up today and I'm very happy to have been able to play such a high quality remastering of one of my old faves. I'm more than satisfied with the memories I have now.

This last playthrough of mine was probably my favorite. I enjoyed myself even more playing this version on Switch than I did playing Prime hack with mouse and keyboard, and that says a lot, because until recently Prime hack was so definitive in my mind that I thought not even the oft rumored Metroid Prime Remaster would hold up compared to it. That's largely thanks to the incredible range of control options we were given in this remaster - dual stick with motion control feels incredible for this game, far better and more capable than the oft-lauded Wii pointer controls in every respect besides accessibility. Playing with my modded Dualsense with 4 paddles and gyro assist felt sublime, and I hope to play Metroid Prime 4 the same exact way.

Also, there are two other big reasons why I enjoyed this playthrough more than any other. Firstly, because I was able to eventually grab a hard mode save file off the internet (my Switch is modded) - I wasn't much further than Phendrana when I found this save, so I immediately started my game over in hard mode and never looked back. It's my preferred way to play, given that Metroid Prime isn't a particularly difficult game, and that having a means by which to aim with precision from arbitrary distances helps to further trivialize combat. When I play Prime hack, I don't use lock on during combat at all with very few exceptions, and I found myself similarly capable with this game's motion controls (though I did use lock on a lot more than usual, because a controller is still a controller even with mouselook style motion assist).

Secondly, I enjoyed this playthrough because it's the first playthrough I ever ran wherein I 100%'d both the logbook and the item collection all on my own, without guides - and I made good time doing it, too! I did something I usually don't do - I didn't constantly backtrack for items as soon as I could. Instead, I only did significant backtracking and item hunting twice - a Flaahgra victory lap, and a pre-finale expidition. And in doing so I made the hunt a lot less complex and repititous for myself. My eyes damn near popped out of my head when, in my search for the final missing missile, I guessed almost exactly where it would be - benefit of not having scoured every area beforehand.

All in all it was a 10/10 time with a 10/10 game. One of the best ever made, a classic that still manages to hold up, which is a rare and special treat. It's never been a better time to be a Metroid fan and I can't wait to see what Retro is cooking up for us right now. I'll miss Metroid Prime 1 but I'll always have years of good memories, and an amazing new version of the game to think back to whenever I want to visualize those memories.

FUCK Meta Ridley on hard mode though, mofo needs patched big time. Extra health was overkill. If I didn't love this game so much, that one fight alone would probably have taken a point off my score LMAO

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
New Kiwi interview with one of the original devs, who has previously done one or two of these. I only watched the credits part so far, suffice to say he is disappointed in the credits excluding the original team.

www.youtube.com

Metroid Prime Remastered Review With Ex Retro Studios Developer(Jack Mathews)

I review Metroid Prime Remastered with former Lead Technical Engineer on the Original game Jack Mathews.#metroidprimeremastered #metroidprime #gamereview Yo...

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Finished the game :) Took me 2 tries for Omega Ridley and 2 tries for the Metroid Prime. Never played the original but always loved the Metroid series. Such a fantastic game!

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game :) Took me 2 tries for Omega Ridley and 2 tries for the Metroid Prime. Never played the original but always loved the Metroid series. Such a fantastic game!

Interesting! How was your fight with the Omega Pirate? As I had more problems defeating this one. Especially because I was too dumb and letting myself get distracted by the other pirates that spawned at the first try

Oct 27, 2017
I've reached the impact crater now. Fucking color coded metroids. The constant beam switching is beyond annoying. Targeting one of them always gives the rest opportunity to further split themselves up. It just never ends.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Interviews about the original engine.

www.resetera.com

Details Of Retro Studios Game Engine Nintendo - Retro

I just discovered this channel that has interviews with old Retro Studios staff talking about the making of the Prime games Details Of Retro Studios Game Engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2llkSEnRnl4 nifty things in Prime 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMx-rCp3gE Regarding crunch...

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Starting to wonder how I ever beat this as a kid. Is there really no hints at all about where to go after getting the last mandatory upgrade? I know I have to get 12 artifacts and I only have 2. Combing through the maps I have every single area explored. Old games were nuts!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Starting to wonder how I ever beat this as a kid. Is there really no hints at all about where to go after getting the last mandatory upgrade? I know I have to get 12 artifacts and I only have 2. Combing through the maps I have every single area explored. Old games were nuts!
Did you look in the artifacts section in the UI? It tells you which room each one is in.