• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Legit question:

Give me your thoughts on Taco Bell. Do Mexicans feel it is a slap in the face? Do they care?

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I remember visititing Mexico City and there would be vendors by the metro and other areas where you can buy cigarettes by the single. People would buy one and smoke it right there.

Is that still a thing?

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Legit question:

Give me your thoughts on Taco Bell. Do Mexicans feel it is a slap in the face? Do they care?

We don't care. Mostly because there's no taco bell down here.

I remember visititing Mexico City and there would be vendors by the metro and other areas where you can buy cigarettes by the single. People would buy one and smoke it right there.

Is that still a thing?

Sueltos? Sure. The other, depends if is a smoke free zone.

Oct 25, 2017
We don't celebrate Quinceañeras in my family. When my sister turned 15, my parents just gave her some money which she saved to eventually buy her car.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Legit question:

Taco Bell tried opened up a store in Monterrey almost ten years ago. One of their restaurants was near my place.

It was completely empty by the end of the week because it was expensive, the things they sold weren't tacos and you could get, you know, real tacos, in almost every place of our town.

It was pretty sad to see how fast it closed, speaking for the employees and local people who invested in this, of course.

You can read about it in here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Is it offensive that a lot of states in the Southwest are trying to make they're Mexican food more "authentic"? Or does it seem like a push in the right direction?

I feel like tacos used to be ground beef and cheese here in Texas growing up, but now it's soft corn tortillas, grilled beef or pork, and just onions + cilantro.

Obviously that's just one example but I've always been curious as to how folks in Mexico think of this recent change.

Oct 25, 2017
oh mi qué voy a hacer!!!

Build a wall around your washing machine. Walls are a mexican's weakness, according to a certain president.

Is it offensive that a lot of states in the Southwest are trying to make they're Mexican food more "authentic"? Or does it seem like a push in the right direction?

I feel like tacos used to be ground beef and cheese here in Texas growing up, but now it's soft corn tortillas, grilled beef or pork, and just onions + cilantro.

Obviously that's just one example but I've always been curious as to how folks in Mexico think of this recent change.

The more authentic mexican food, the better. Not offensive at all, in fact it's best for us whenever we visit the US!

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México

I have seen a lot of these comments here in the thread asking if something is offensive. But most Mexicans don't get "offended" by trivial things like that.

Like the Super Mario Odyssey and the sombrero situation... here in México we embraced it. We liked it. But someone complained about how offensive it was (an American journalist), and Mariochi was removed from the cover. Now, that's was offensive.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017

If anything, that sounds a lot more closer to actual tacos than the "ground beef and cheese" you're talking about here. :P So I'm not sure why it would be offensive, unless I'm reading this the wrong way.

I have seen a lot of these comments here in the thread asking if something is offensive. But most Mexicans don't get "offended" by trivial things like that.
I can second that. Unless you go "beaner", "wetback" or "saltamuros" as we get called by some lovely people in South America, I don't see how you can offend Mexicans by saying you like their food or culture.

I wish I could find a post in GAF in which some american poster was absolutely horrified at how Día de los Muertos was another victim of cultural appropriation, something that definitely exists but in this case most mexicans were like "oh, you like one of our most traditional holidays without changing it? That's pretty cool".

Then I remember saying something like that and I got a lecture of mexican traditions by a guy who never even traveled to Mexico before in his life. So yeah, if you like our culture, food, music or whatever without adding bullshit like that Spectre parade (which isn't really offensive but more like "this is not fucking Thanksgiving, que pedo?") then I think it's really cool.

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
Are you planning to travel to México? Do you want to learn more about my country? Do you want recommendations for food, music? Do you have questions about our violence problems? Life style? Video games preferences?

Ask me anything!

Is it true that in some areas (states?) People eat their tacos with a fork and knife? Not a joke, real question

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Legit question:

It's ok. I'm 100% born and raised in Mexico, but my mom would sometimes make Tex-Mex cuisine dishes like fajitas, burritos, nachos, tacos dorados so I don't have a hateboner for the cuisine.
Having said that, since there are taco stands on every corner in Mexico, there is really no reason to go to Taco Bell. And thus, there is no Taco Bell anywhere in Mexico.
My grandma loves Taco Bell and wanted to have it everyday when she was on vacation in the US. Can you believe that?

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Is it true that in some areas (states?) People eat their tacos with a fork and knife? Not a joke, real question
Ha! Not that I'm aware... but, for example, here in mi city there is a place selling extremely giant burritos, and sometimes is easier to just grab a knife and fork and cut it smaller pieces, but it only works because the burrito is a roll.

Now, tacos with a knife and fork? Never seen that.

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
Ha! Not that I'm aware... but, for example, here in mi city there is a place selling extremely giant burritos, and sometimes is easier to just grab a knife and fork and cut it smaller pieces, but it only works because the burrito is a roll.

Now, tacos with a knife and fork? Never seen that.

I went out to eat with a coworker long ago, he swore left and right that people had forgotten how to eat them properly and bad habits had spread so now it was common for people to use their hands. It was weird, but I was just listening the whole time since I didn't know what to say to him.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Legit question:

no, taco bell is taco bell.

It's more of a brand rather than a regional cuisine. It's like calling tissues "kleenex".

No mexican ever felt insulted or like a slap in the face, we (most) mexicans actually like it.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always feel cringe when an American eat a taco .

I know they don't know the technique but it looks weird when they do their way. :p

IMG_0316.jpg

Hopefully with this picture ERA can eat their tacos the right way :v

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Is Jalisco the best state?

Best State is actually Baja California.

Don't believe their lies, it's Sonora... except in summer.

Those are some funny ways to write Sinaloa.

Btw, Baja California factually sucks. The cities are dirty, full of really badly made streets, hotdogs are shit, nachos are shit, tamales are shit, not even is seafood is that good. Of everything I have tasted in the 4 years I have lived in this state the only good food is chinese (in mexicali, and isn't that much better than in sinaloa) and pizza, lol.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I have never, EVER seen or known of anyone that does that. Holy shit, I would freak out.

And that person would never live it down. He would be a buffoon for the rest of their lives.
Well, there's always degenerates who eat tacos the wrong way.

Like not putting salsa on them? The hell is wrong with this people. Qué nos pasa?, as Héctor Suárez would say.

Oct 25, 2017
I went out to eat with a coworker long ago, he swore left and right that people had forgotten how to eat them properly and bad habits had spread so now it was common for people to use their hands. It was weird, but I was just listening the whole time since I didn't know what to say to him.

Your friend is lying or he was trolling you. What he described is 100% impossible.

Well, there's always degenerates who eat tacos the wrong way.

Like not putting salsa on them? The hell is wrong with this people. Qué nos pasa?, as Héctor Suárez would say.

Indeed. That's pure blasphemy.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018

I don't see the offense in it, i'm actually happy that you guys are eating something closer to a real taco.

It's like sharing a recipe you really like, you want people EVERYWHERE to try it.

Also, just to know, cuz, i really don't get it, why would it be offensive?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the offense in it, i'm actually happy that you guys are eating something closer to a real taco.

It's like sharing a recipe you really like, you want people EVERYWHERE to try it.

Also, just to know, cuz, i really don't get it, why would it be offensive?

I guess because some people would consider it "cultural appropriation"?

Those people wouldn't be mexicans, though.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
It's better but not by much.

It's miles better than other parts in Mexico that is for sure, heck, it's miles better than chinese food in Ensenada in the same state, lol.
ooooh the ensenada one was really awful, salty and tasteless, you know what i really liked? the tostadas at the entrance and the tacos in front of the calimax in calle 5ta, i'd eat that daily but i'd probably be fatter and poorer if i did lol

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mexicali Chinese is on another level, but it also depends on the restaurant you go, there is a lot of difference going to a traditional place like Dragón or going to something mixed with Mexican food like El Rincón de Panchito.

Also, sinaloans are partially responsible for the state of Tijuana q:

You make like half the population.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Mexicali Chinese is on another level, but it also depends on the restaurant you go, there is a lot of difference going to a traditional place like Dragón or going to something mixed with Mexican food like El Rincón de Panchito.

Also, sinaloans are partially responsible for the state of Tijuana q:

You make like half the population.

i concur about the sinaloans, they are everything their stereotype describes.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Legit question:

So long as you don't say something like Taco Bell = Mexican food. Then we don't really care. It's important you only know that mexican food is in no way like taco bell.

Is that still a thing?

Yes, you can buy single cigarretes in many parts. Usually in small stores, like the one that is family owned.

Only a fool would eat a taco with fork and knife.

ooooh the ensenada one was really awful, salty and tasteless, you know what i really liked? the tostadas at the entrance and the tacos in front of the calimax in calle 5ta, i'd eat that daily but i'd probably be fatter and poorer if i did lol

Yeah there are some good tostadas, I still think "La Guerrerense" is still overrated. I like more the tostadas that are like 50 meters away, going to Blvd Costero. The best part about tostadas is that they're cheap. Now I usually go to one where the tostada is $12 each (0.65 USD)

Oct 27, 2017
Those are some funny ways to write Sinaloa.

Btw, Baja California factually sucks. The cities are dirty, full of really badly made streets, hotdogs are shit, nachos are shit, tamales are shit, not even is seafood is that good. Of everything I have tasted in the 4 years I have lived in this state the only good food is chinese (in mexicali, and isn't that much better than in sinaloa) and pizza, lol.

Hey, hit me up with your address, let's fight.