aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Currently it's MGK 1 .EMINEM - 0

The last few albums from him have been meh .

I hope he drops something dope again soon

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.48302/...en-better-than-you-this-entire-fucking-decade

Joe Budden has finally responded to Eminem'sKamikaze diss. On Tuesday (September 4), theState Of The Culture co-host shared a video clip from The Joe Budden Podcast to his Twitter account blasting Slim Shady for his lack of content. He insists he's been a superior rapper for the past 10 years.

"Newsflash Em," Budden begins. "I heard the album and because I think you don't really know all the members in the group, I don't really think you know our history. Let me tell you what Joe Budden has thought this entire time. 'I've been better than you this entire fucking decade!'

"Huh? Can't say that back then. Can't say that back then. But, in my rapper brain, I'm a content nigga. You gotta say something. You have not said anything for the better part of a whole fucking decade. You have rhymed a bunch of words."

He added in the caption, "We'll talk in the morning … 8am sharp."

Just drop a track Budden or don't say anything

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
did you listen to his podcast? I haven't had a chance yet but supposedly he aired out a lot of his beefs with Em.

3 hours long but here is a summary.

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2018/09/joe-budden-eminem-beef-revival-podcast/

On the latest episode (#177) of The Joe Budden Podcast, the show's host publicly responds to the most recent development. He takes a fiery 101 minutes to do so. At 36:40, Joe tells co-hosts Rory and Mal (as well as producer Parks) that "this has been building up for a long time. Boy, am I glad this day is finally here! Because it allows us to be truthful, finally! Boy, I love when the gloves come off! I love when we can stop dancing around respect because I was taught that this industry was built off of relationships," begins Joe. Moments later, Joe says that in the last year, he was "talked out of" a diss record aimed at Eminem. That would have happened concurrent to his beef with Drake, as the co-hosts remind him. Joe contends that he is currently "closer to Drake" than he is to Eminem. The host tells his co-hosts and audience to "make of that what you will."

In the moments that follow, Joe Budden blames himself for the demise of Slaughterhouse. He says that he viewed Eminem and Shady Records differently than the three band-mates. Budden says that unlike Rick Ross' development of Wale and Meek Mill at Maybach Music Group, Eminem was hands-off with the super-group of lyricists. The Em features Budden thought may be given to S.H.'s album did not happen. Meanwhile, Joe's suggestion that 'House open up for Em's touring was met with the fact that Marshall was "too big" to tour during the 2010s. While Eminem did not take Slaughterhouse on the road with him or provide a verse for the group's first album with Shady, he had input on the songs. At 48:00, Joe claims, "We had to send [the album] somewhere. By the time it came back, it was different." Budden says that Eminem picked the beats. "Every time we had to go back and do more songs for the album, there'd always be five or six Eminem beats. They were horrible f*ckin' beats!," says Joe, before correcting that they were sounds not ideal for Slaughterhouse. He says that upon receiving revisions, his verses were often pulled from songs—including songs that he personally conceptualized. Joe also charges that he wanted respect above money or fame. He feels he was the only MC in the quartet with that primary objective. "Joe is the most popular member of the group," he says at 54:45.

Now that's interesting and I can believe that. I always found it odd that Eminem never really pushed slaughterhouse. He never used his own status to get them over.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Now that's interesting and I can believe that. I always found it odd that Eminem never really pushed slaughterhouse. He never used his own status to get them over.

Why would he need to? Slaughterhouse was essentially a super group of lyricists that each had their own buzz and fans. They're all relatively successfull solo artists that people have heard of. The only fan segment that hasn't heard of them individually is the Radio Play Casual Listener and Slaughterhouse was never, ever, ever, going to be putting out records that appeal to that group.

Shady Records has never been particularly hands on with their artists (even D12 had a sparse amount of Em on the tracks), and it was definitely a common issue that artists would sign then put out a record without much heavy push behind it and it would flounder. That doesn't really affect Slaughterhouse the same way as it does somebody like Ca$his.

Also wasn't there talk before that Slaughterhouse ended because Joe wanted the group to move labels to make more money?

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would he need to? Slaughterhouse was essentially a super group of lyricists that each had their own buzz and fans. They're all relatively successfull solo artists that people have heard of. The only fan segment that hasn't heard of them individually is the Radio Play Casual Listener and Slaughterhouse was never, ever, ever, going to be putting out records that appeal to that group.

Shady Records has never been particularly hands on with their artists (even D12 had a sparse amount of Em on the tracks), and it was definitely a common issue that artists would sign then put out a record without much heavy push behind it and it would flounder. That doesn't really affect Slaughterhouse the same way as it does somebody like Ca$his.

Also wasn't there talk before that Slaughterhouse ended because Joe wanted the group to move labels to make more money?

But a couple features on an album. A single featuring Eminem does a lot for a group like that

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This is good for Em. He needs someone to get him motivated.
Is MGK even worth his time to respond to again? MGK is like that friend you had in high school who you didn't have the heart to tell him he was absolute trash and that he was the carlton banks of rap. A complete clown.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
BUT, if he doesn't respond, it'll prove that Eminem doesn't really go after people unless he thinks they're an easy target, which basically proves MGK's point of him being a "bully", and that MGK actually DID hit him hard.

Like, "oh so you'll go after Moby, N'Sync, Vanilla Ice, Britney Spears, Ja Rule, and Benzino, but I come at you with some real shit and you won't respond?"

But at least for Ja that was a response to Ja. I don't know right now who started it.

For all those people saying why now, MGK dissed Em on the Tech N9ne song "No Reason" earlier THIS year.

Eminem just wanted an apology for that tweet and didn't want to put even more of a spotlight on it at the time.

Yeah.

Is he seen as a bully? Not sure. But Em don't always start it.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like Eminem may be responding, but maybe waiting for other rappers to say something as well?

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, Em/50 and everyone that was riding with then destroyed Has standing in the public....even him dropping that crazy New York Anthem with Joe and Jada wasn't enough from stopping the public turning on him.

Sure without the FBI getting involved it would have taken a bit longer for them to hit rock bottom ...but Jas Album sales dropped hard after the beef, this all happened while 50 invaded the game. Their aren't more clearer examples than someone fucking up his own career than Ja calling out Em and dissing his daughter.
Beef went into straight mainstream and people in that audience stopped messing with Ja when Em, Dre etc. got involved....he really thought he was Pac and could take them on all together....lol.

He was going against Busta Rhymes, DMX, D12, Em, Obie Trice, Dre, 50 Cent etc. and was the only relevant artist on Murda Inc lol. Should have played it smart and just kept it to street shit between him and 50.

I think ha ja was heavily influenced by the pac against all odds track. Fair play for trying to go @ everyone but man that was never gonna end up well.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
But a couple features on an album. A single featuring Eminem does a lot for a group like that

It really doesn't. It does nothing for an established artist other than associate them with whoever is featured. Which they already were associated with Em by signing to Shady and doing the BET Cypher with Em. It does a LOT for new or upcoming artists. But none of those dudes were new. Newest dude was Joell and not only was he not really new but he had the most buzz out of everyone in Slaughterhouse at the time.

There really was nothing to gain by having Em on a track for them. Everyone knew what the group was about and what the sound would be. And you're either into it, or you're not. An Em feature is *not* going to net them any extra anything.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from the Eminem thread re Slaughterhouse situation. Crooked I posted a video on IG and talked a lot.

Yeah he's airing out quite a bit of stuff as well.

Edit - summary below based on my listen:
  • agrees that Budden left which pretty much ended Slaughterhouse, but left without really telling anyone
  • disagrees about content from Eminem, Crooked feels there was plenty of music from Eminem that resonated with him
  • Royce and Crooked I spent a lot of time in Detroit making music for Glass House, but no one else showed up to help
  • Crooked I feels Budden should have just left criticisms about Revival as a simple "it's not for me" rather than what he said, and it made it obvious Budden had issues with Shady
  • He says that if Budden wanted out from the contract, he should have sat down with them all and made it clear
  • Apparently Budden said something about Slaughterhouse being mesmerized by Eminem's superstardom and they weren't able to see the bullshit - Crooked I says that's BS and they weren't zombies who were too afraid to speak up - he did speak up
  • Apparently people from Shady wanted them to do a meet and greet at an ice cream shop lol - Crooked I said wtf we should be on the streets
  • Says they should have focused on the music and made the 3 albums as the contract asked, can't blame the label if we aren't making the music
  • Lots of scheduling issues with the members, mentions Budden specifically
  • Says Shady invested time and money into both the first album and the second album
  • Eminem wanted to focus on Slaughterhouse after the Southpaw soundtrack and spent hours in the studio
  • Crooked I wanted Dre to be involved, but was outvoted - not sure by who
Crooked I tried to stay positive and says no hard feelings. Says that Slaughterhouse died because of lack of communication and hard to blame Shady records.

Oct 26, 2017
Oof. That was....pretty boring. Also, dude really needs to learn how to edit videos or something. That lip sync with audio was not good. I think that is what mostly turned me off. Maybe if I listened to audio only I would like it better.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Eminem is my favorite diss writer... so I'm looking forward to seeing him come back with some fire

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Well....to be fair like half of Eminem's diss to Benzino was about how old he was lol.

Yeah, I said it a few posts earlier when I linked the track. Some of the stuff in Nail in the Coffin really sounds like something young Eminem would write to diss his current self, especially that chorus.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Budden pretty much validated everything I've been saying about Eminem since Kamikaze's release. Em's time has come. Em fans that don't actually listen to any rap music outside Eminem and industry people that haven't been able to pick up on his obvious insecurities in the past 10 years need to stop treating this fucking dude like he's invincible.

Eminem is the Donald Trump of the rap game in this and this sense ONLY: he stopped maturing intellectually/artistically the moment he became famous. Dude has literally been the same note for the past 10 years but because he can rhyme words really good and people only pay attention to the genre when he's making fun of soft-bellied pop stars on his singles they want to call him the GOAT. Fuck outta here. And I love Em. It's just disrespectful to the art, which I love more.

People need to start coming at this dude. He either finally matures as a human being or hangs up his mic.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
You can't deny some of the shit he said about Em is the truth though.

Why would anyone need to deny it? Almost every single word MGK said is shit Eminem has said about himself. The entire "diss track" was just a rehashed trash track with an autotune track.

If this is what people think is "fire"...hip hop is on life support. The whole track was mediocre. The only thing it has going for it is a decent beat, which seems to be all you need anymore (mumblerap).

he stopped maturing intellectually/artistically the moment he became famous.

Bullshit, haha.

Listen to SSLP. Very few of the tracks are genuinely personal, and speak more to his shock / horror core sensibilities than anything else. MMLP was pretty similar to that, in that not many of the tracks were core, personal tracks, save Stan, where he displays his understanding of his influence and shows some of his genuine thoughts.

TES was a significantly more "mature" album, with many tracks digging into his past, or his thoughts on his present / future (and the fame he didn't like). He starts to be way more personal here.

Then drugs come into the picture in a big way, and shit spirals out of control with weird tracks, bad accents, etc.

Recovery is an INCREDIBLE departure from that. MMLP2 is a mixed bag, but he goes into songs like Bad Guy (reflection) or Headlights (forgiveness).

I get that everyone has opinions and stuff, but I think saying he never matured the moment he became famous? That's a crock of shit and you absolutely know it. He's doing fan service stuff (his immature songs) all while putting tracks out that very clearly acknowledge he's a changed person and reflects on his past. If you think he hasn't matured, it's because you haven't been paying attention.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Why would anyone need to deny it? Almost every single word MGK said is shit Eminem has said about himself. The entire "diss track" was just a rehashed trash track with an autotune track.

If this is what people think is "fire"...hip hop is on life support. The whole track was mediocre. The only thing it has going for it is a decent beat, which seems to be all you need anymore (mumblerap).

Bullshit, haha.

Listen to SSLP. Very few of the tracks are genuinely personal, and speak more to his shock / horror core sensibilities than anything else. MMLP was pretty similar to that, in that not many of the tracks were core, personal tracks, save Stan, where he displays his understanding of his influence and shows some of his genuine thoughts.

TES was a significantly more "mature" album, with many tracks digging into his past, or his thoughts on his present / future (and the fame he didn't like). He starts to be way more personal here.

Then drugs come into the picture in a big way, and shit spirals out of control with weird tracks, bad accents, etc.

Recovery is an INCREDIBLE departure from that. MMLP2 is a mixed bag, but he goes into songs like Bad Guy (reflection) or Headlights (forgiveness).

I get that everyone has opinions and stuff, but I think saying he never matured the moment he became famous? That's a crock of shit and you absolutely know it. He's doing fan service stuff (his immature songs) all while putting tracks out that very clearly acknowledge he's a changed person and reflects on his past. If you think he hasn't matured, it's because you haven't been paying attention.

Lol, really?

TMMLP and the TES are pretty similar albums, which is when Eminem went Mass Critical. Themes about self-loathing, being in the spotlight, familial issues, etc. Even the damn debut singles are pretty similar. Both great albums regardless.

Yeah, RECOVERY is an incredible departure terms of how BAD it is. It's largely Eminem accepting his role as a megastar and a lot of the album has a generic as fuck sound. It's utterly forgettable. This is where things start to get shaky for a lot of his fanbase that's been with him since the beginning because it doesn't feel like a genuine Eminem album. Recovery is Eminem at peak industry machine.

Even mentioning MMLP2 hurts your point overall.

Yeah, saying he hasn't matured at all, since the moment he got famous is hyperbolic - but you get the point. For the better part of a decade he's been spinning the same wheels attempting to recapture the early 00s era when he initially struck the mainstream's vital nerve. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I wouldnt mind waiting for eminem to drop something tbh. The whole thing about people dropping a track the day after and shit is neat for the drama but I feel like we would get a better track if they actually spend time on it. If you rush it you get a song where you call a dude old and washed but still great like thats it? idk he could prove me wrong and drop fire in like 5hrs.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The lyrics are pretty decent but fuck the production is awful.

Remember when hip-hop used to have big beefy headnodding basslines? Now it's all hyperactive snares and treble heavy so it sounds good on 12 year old's mobile phones.
I mean, Eminem is bad at rapping.

Extremely bad.
And you also said that Metallica are the greatest metal band of all time?

Bro, you're embarrassing yourself.

Go home and be a family man.

Last edited:

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Paul Wall shits on MGK from an exceptionally high pedestal.

PW is probably the best southern-rapper still making music, outside of maybe Chamillionaire (Bun B fell off).
Their songs together easily crush anything MGK has ever made.

What !!!!!! I don't even listen to rap like I use to and off the top of my head currency, Big Krit, and killer mike all put out way better music than Paul Wall has ever made in his career. I don't even know why I'm responding to this post it's so bad.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The lyrics are pretty decent but fuck the production is awful.

You're not wrong, but this isn't an album track. It's a diss track. Granted, I only view it as fairly solid (good content, easy punches, ok/poor technique,) but to be fair a quick diss track is not meant to be a production display.

Oct 25, 2017

Using autotune's a stroke of genius since it manages to piss off oldheads this much..yeesh.
Also, mentions of mumblerap. Allow this cliché bullshit.
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I like this track more than I like Not Alike and I think the fact that's it's #1 trending on youtube currently is a super bad look if Em doesn't come with a fire response(soon). I don't know if his camp is agile enough to deal with beefing in a tweetafacegrambook world. If his response is going to take him a month or more to write and record he should just not respond(unless it's that ubersuperfire ether careermurking type shit). Shots got fired and I think a lot of them landed. I know Em is like y'all want shady so I'ma give you shady but shady is fucking dead and what's left is a shambling zombie just jamming multi's into overly long sentences that are delivered in his shouty ass dad voice. Em is coming off as a thin skinned, blackballing, hypocritical old man shouting at clouds, and Kelly accurately called him on it.

I don't think acknowledging that Em was/is a top 10 rapper and is in the discussion for GOAT is a mistake it's part of a nuanced diss-construction of his entire persona. Outside of his (remaining) lyrical skill Eminem is irrelevant, all of his tracks at this point are essentially self flagellating displays of rhyming skill (trying to be shady) but all of it feels irrelevant because for all of the words Em has to say shit with he's got very little left to say. Em has peaked, is over the hill, and should probably put the mic down before he embarrasses his legacy to the point where any discussion of him being the GOAT can't be taken seriously. His ratio for good tracks vs bad has been trending down for over a decade now and I don't think that's going to change.

As a final point, I think MGK's style is more palatable for the general audience currently. Because while old heads might be willing to sit down and digest on a jerky overstuffed flow & archaic wordplay the current generation just wants something to bang and be understandable from the outset. Em doing his best Tek-9 impersonation in a shouty dad voice is grating, not easily digested, and ultimately makes it less impactful. This is a generation that's raised on 140 character zingers not intricately constructed Sistine chapels of wordplay and MGK's track is a lot closer to that then Em will ever be. So honestly even as an old Eminem fan that had 0 MGK tracks in his playlists before this one I've got to give the 1 - 0 to MGK currently.

Mar 17, 2018
1. Both these guys are fucking terrible at rapping
2. Eminem is clearly in the right here, MGK was 22 commenting on how attractive Eminem's 16 year old daughter was. That's incredibly creepy and bad behavior. MGK got good lines in about how pathetic Eminem is in general, but, uhh, MGK creeping on a 16 year old girl is, uhh, extremely bad. Also, anyone can point out how bad Eminem is at rapping. Eminem is obviously terrible so it's not like MGK was left with difficult material or anything.

You know what this just makes me think more and more the rap game is fucked up lol. I'll take late 80s/early 90s shit over these weird
This isn't bad. Right now is actually the best time to go at Em's crown, the belly is soft, despite his technical displays. Eminem is nothing but insecure.

Fuck yeah.

I don't think you can be top 5 if your message is basically just random shit about your life. Chuck D shits on Eminem from a great height, and maybe he doesn't quite have the word mouth that Eminem had, but he has got the message for the most part, or at least he was more consistent in his prime. Even as a white dude I just cannot really get into Em. He's okay and all, but I just prefer different music.

Mar 17, 2018
Using autotune's a stroke of genius since it manages to piss off oldheads this much..yeesh.
Also, mentions of mumblerap. Allow this cliché bullshit.
giphy.gif

And there you go with the oldheads vs XXXXX paradigm that makes rap and discussion of it in general just boring these days. It's like people just cannot get along anymore. There was really bad rap then, and there is super bad rap now. The difference was then it was innovative, and a lot of the time the message seemed a bit more artistic and creative in the mainstream.

Mainstream has changed. Check rock out. Music has changed. While there are great rappers, there are fewer and fewer great albums that sound innovative and worth listening to front to back. Different strokes. A lot more singles now. Nothing is knocking me out like Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation... I will definitely say that much. A couple albums have been up there, so I rarely complain. But dear god the mainstream is just so normalized now. It all sounds the same, even if the quality is okay. They just cannot keep it going for an entire album, or rather only the best ones can. Very few rockers or rappers today I would ever call the best.

I'm not really an old head, but jesus no way in hell I am trading 90s music for what we have now. No bias here. I don't care if I am 100 or 15. 90s/early 2000s music was in general just shitloads better in so many genres IMO. Doesn't mean there are not great albums out now. It just means things are watered down a bit in the mainstream and just under it.

And I could make the argument for different genres in the 60s that are not here today or in the 90s. Or for Jazz in the 40s-60s. I wouldn't call 90s Jazz better than 60s Jazz, even though there was some great shit. But it wasn't innovative as much, and the landscape had changed. Same thing with rap and rock today. Denying that things change is ridiculous. But I agree denying there is quality in the new age is ridiculous too. You just gotta look a bit harder because the mainstream is so fucking poppy.

I am not gonna lie music mostly seems like it's weightless now outside of a few artists in the mainstream. Even my favorite bands from older eras often put out weak or just okay records. The best of the underground will always be good no matter what era though.

Last edited: