GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Lol surrender what? So I can't voice my opinion because most Era members love MGSV over GR?

MGSV doest even come close to the shooting mechanics of GR Wildlands.
i don't like the shooting in mgs5 either but from some gameplay trailer thet i watch the shooting in wildlands looks like shit.
a couple of pre-canned animation when you hit the enemy, bad ragdoll etc.
never heard of anyone praising the shooting in that game tbh...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
These topics are always weird to me because so many people keep listing games that have BAD or unresponsive controls.
The one thing that Metal Gear Solid V did well was that its transitions between stances were very nice and did not interrupt movement.

But it does so many important things wrong:
Though perhaps less-so than previous Metal Gear Solid games, the controls are still very convoluted. I installed the game again to check that my memories of it were correct, and I had to stop and look up how to get into first-person mode, and how to roll.
The game does not support mixed gamepad + mouse input. You either have to deal with the doubly complex keyboard binds for control if you want to use a mouse for aiming, or you're stuck using an analog stick to aim.
Aiming sensitivity varies depending on the weapon you are using, and whether you are aiming or zooming. Sensitivity is also linked to frame rate.

I love how MGSV controls, Vanquish though:
tJeXhAd.gif

For me personally the tightest controls in a TPS.
Mouse input is completely broken in Vanquish, with forced acceleration, multiple sensitivity sliders, and each weapon having its own sensitivity, so it's disqualified by default.
Resident Evil 6 has no way to disable mouse acceleration, and I haven't played it enough to know if there's anything else it gets wrong.

I don't know how people can say that a game is a good third-person shooter when the most basic of all things—the aiming controls—are completely unreliable.

Definitely! Gears feels really nice to control in its own right and you can do some crazy stuff once you get a deep understanding of the controls as you say.
That's the jankiest player movement I've ever seen.
Sublime animations, but Gears still takes the cake with it's roadie run into cover slides and the ability to cancel and wallbounce. No other TPS grants the same level of precise control of your character.

No, wait, this is.
If you think that clip looks spastic and stupid, you should look at this!
That's a demonstration of how the animations blend nicely without really limiting player control/responsiveness too much in MGSV.
There are still many situations in MGSV where it feels like you're being held back by or locked into animations though, which is a big part in why I generally dislike third-person games.
Gears has the player glitching out by magnetizing between two walls back and forth. Maybe it takes skill to look that stupid, but it still looks stupid.

I personally feel that a range of Third Person Shooters feel better to play on a mechanical level including […] Max Payne 2 even
I think the first two Max Payne games still feel great to play today because they are nearly entirely focused on input priority rather than animation priority, and play a lot more like a first-person game than most third-person shooters do now.
Unfortunately Remedy's newer games don't play like that at all, and Quantum Break was a huge disappointment to play on PC.

Great post though. It makes me think that I should get around to playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist some time.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Watch_Dogs 1 for me. Still the best 3rd person shooter especially in an open world.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately Remedy's newer games don't play like that at all, and Quantum Break was a huge disappointment to play on PC.
Alan Wake marked a strange turning poing for Remedy where it felt like their games were being designed in a way that de-emphasized aiming to an absurd degree. It was like you were playing darts, and then someone replaced the whole game with those giant foam darts on a velcro board. I really hope Control brings back some of that crispness of Max Payne 2.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
That's the jankiest player movement I've ever seen.

No, wait, this is.

That's a demonstration of how the animations blend nicely without really limiting player control/responsiveness too much in MGSV.
There are still many situations in MGSV where it feels like you're being held back by or locked into animations though, which is a big part in why I generally dislike third-person games.
Gears has the player glitching out by magnetizing between two walls back and forth. Maybe it takes skill to look that stupid, but it still looks stupid.
You should def. appreciate the Gears 3 wallbounce -

However bad this stuff may look to you, it's an example of designers prioritizing control over slick looking animation, which makes Gears fun to play.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

However bad this stuff may look to you, it's an example of designers prioritizing control over slick looking animation, which makes Gears fun to play.

It's definitely skillful for multiplayer bouts, but as far as single-player goes, it's absolute garbage and shows a clear lack of fine-tuned balance between immersion and gameplay.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya it felt so good. The 60fps probably helped a lot. I just wish it had the same story the other games offered. If it did, I'd probably put it in my top 3 this gen.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... I'd say Resi 6 is a good contender, not that Resi 6 bothers to teach you half the stuff you can actually do.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Though perhaps less-so than previous Metal Gear Solid games, the controls are still very convoluted. I installed the game again to check that my memories of it were correct, and I had to stop and look up how to get into first-person mode, and how to roll.

Lol what? You're going to fault the game because you had to look at/forgot the controls? And knocking it because you can't play with a controller in one hand and a mouse the other? Lot of straight up bizzare points and hyperbole to unpack here.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It's definitely skillful for multiplayer bouts, but as far as single-player goes, it's absolute garbage and shows a clear lack of fine-tuned balance between immersion and gameplay.
It's not even really applicable in SP. You don't need sweaty movement like that to avoid enemy AI as they can't get confused by unpredictable movement patterns like a human controlled enemy would. But even then, I'll take control of my character over prioritizing animation for immersions sake any day.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's not even really applicable in SP. You don't need sweaty movement like that to avoid enemy AI as they can't get confused by unpredictable movement patterns like a human controlled enemy would. But even then, I'll take control of my character over prioritizing animation for immersions sake any day.

MGSV does it infinitely better though, you have perfect control of your character without breaking immersion and sliding on some invisible ice skates like a morron.

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
I was late getting a PS4, so my initial MGSV experience was on the PS3 -- loved it but once I picked up a PS4, I picked up Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain for it and it is like night & day -- 60 fps is a game changer in the way the game controls and plays.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

That's not about "control" - it's abusing the game mechanics to pinball off the walls by breaking the cover system because it snaps the players to walls at unrealistic speeds.
I've already acknowledged that it may take skill to do, but it's absolutely ridiculous looking, and is not indicative of the type of "control" that people are talking about.
If you can't see the difference between Gears' glitched wall bouncing and the Metal Gear Solid V videos posted earlier in this topic, which demonstrate how the game lets the player run around like crazy, but still manages to blend animations smoothly without taking control away from the player, I don't know what to tell you.

Lol what? You're going to fault the game because you had to look at/forgot the controls? And knocking it because you can't play with a controller in one hand and a mouse the other? Lot of straight up bizzare points and hyperbole to unpack here.
The key binds are so bad that I had to look them up to find out what they were because I could not figure it out.
The way to enter first person mode is to hold down the right mouse button and press '3'.
3, which switches to your third weapon slot when pressed, or apparently also brings up the binoculars when held. And 'V' is the key they use to switch zoom.
The gameplay controls and its menu interface are a complete mess like that. With a controller, the binds make a lot more sense, but they're still very convoluted.

As for gamepad + mouse input, no I am not holding a gamepad in one hand and a mouse in the other - though it's certainly viable with a Joy-Con or PlayStation Navigation Controller.
Gamepad + mouse input is used for gyro input with a Steam Controller, DualShock 4, Switch Pro Controller, or the Steam Controller's touchpad.
Without it you have to emulate an analog stick - which typically means less responsive controls, acceleration, limited turning speeds, limited precision, auto-aim, and more.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
MGSV is an excellent game, perhaps one of the best ones ever made. And a lot of it is down to the game mechanics and how it controls, but to say it's a better shooter than MP3 is something I completely disagree with. It being 60fps does make the movement even more fluid, but there's nothing more satisfying than filling enemies with lead in the Max Payne 3.

taciturasa

Jan 10, 2018
This is an interesting take, but I'm certainly not going to question it. Personally, I think in terms of a "shooter" the simplicity of Splatoon makes it pretty good.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
A lot of these things also come down to the subjective intangible term known as Game Feel. Games like MGSV, Mario Odyssey etc.. have it. I don't think Gears has it.

To me MGSV is much much better mechanically to a game like Gears.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Mouse input is completely broken in Vanquish, with forced acceleration, multiple sensitivity sliders, and each weapon having its own sensitivity, so it's disqualified by default.
I mean Vanquish was made for a controller and as someone who always prefers using a controller when possible (except FPS) it feels like a dream and is the best in the genre next to MGSV. Cant expect M and K to be the default best way to play any game with aiming even if it sacrifices accuracy because the game was designed with that in mind but obviously you cant not have M and K included for a PC port.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Vanquish was made for a controller and as someone who always prefers using a controller when possible (except FPS) it feels like a dream and is the best in the genre next to MGSV. Cant expect M and K to be the default best way to play any game with aiming even if it sacrifices accuracy because the game was designed with that in mind but obviously you cant not have M and K included for a PC port.
It's a third-person shooter with broken aiming. Maybe the movement feels really good with analog sticks, but I don't see how anyone can claim that it's a good third-person shooter when the aiming is broken.

I don't like it when people who don't know anything about a game's intricacies accuse its mechanics of being easily abused when arguing with others who do have a bunch of experience in said game.
I have repeatedly agreed with you that it takes skill to pull off wall bouncing. Where I disagree is that you seem to think it is a good mechanic, and don't seem to think that it looks completely broken.
If wallbouncing was a supposed exploit, Epic would have not embraced it in Gears 2 and 3 with the ability to cancel your movement mid-bounce. It's not a glitch, if it was a glitch it would have been patched a millennium ago or completely wiped from the sequels like all normal glitches do.
Just because they have embraced it as part of their gameplay does not change that it looks completely broken with the character model bouncing off invisible walls.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
It's a third-person shooter with broken aiming. Maybe the movement feels really good with analog sticks, but I don't see how anyone can claim that it's a good third-person shooter when the aiming is broken
Did you read what I said? Its not broken it was made for a controller, you should try it on controller and see how good it feels. The game was affected badly by the pc port in many ways but I get what you mean, I guess Vanquish has the best gameplay loop of any tps and MGSV has the best controls.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Did you read what I said? Its not broken it was made for a controller, you should try it on controller and see how good it feels. The game was affected badly by the pc port in many ways but I get what you mean, I guess Vanquish has the best gameplay loop of any tps and MGSV has the best controls.
Analog sticks are inherently bad for aiming, and if a game only works with those it does not control well.

blue capsule

Nov 6, 2017
los angeles
If it was as large as an issue as you're describing, I think we would hear more outcry over inconsistency from the competitive community since they rely on wall bouncing. Even then, since 3 they have offered an alt control scheme which separates cover sliding from running and rolling. I like everything mapped to A personally, as I never have to fight with the controls or do BXR style button combos to keep up with other players.
the alt control scheme was in 2 as well iirc

i think og gow1 was the one that didnt have it

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
That's not about "control" - it's abusing the game mechanics to pinball off the walls by breaking the cover system because it snaps the players to walls at unrealistic speeds.
I've already acknowledged that it may take skill to do, but it's absolutely ridiculous looking, and is not indicative of the type of "control" that people are talking about.
If you can't see the difference between Gears' glitched wall bouncing and the Metal Gear Solid V videos posted earlier in this topic, which demonstrate how the game lets the player run around like crazy, but still manages to blend animations smoothly without taking control away from the player, I don't know what to tell you.
It is about control. Even if you think wallbouncing is a glitch or exploit, it demonstrates that the cover system of the Gears games is fast, responsive, and most of all consistent enough for the player to a trust their input will result in their character moving where they want them to. Just because you don't like the lack of animation blending for a tactic only useful in MP (where immersion and realism don't matter) doesn't mean it's not valid to say it shows the precise control the game gives you.