• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Reading the last few pages has been funny. Reading the entire thread has been basically. This topic usually is.

I remember this same type of thing when Windows Phone launched.

On one hand yeah, the company already doing it can get replaced (smartphone market) but that usually happens when current company changes too late or doesn't at all. Or under estimates the competition (Ballmer literally laughing about the iPhone)

Sony adding downloads to PSNow should tell ppl they aren't just sitting back twiddling their thumbs.

I hope MS does improve the latency issue with hardware. If so, there's a chance Sony might do another handheld with that type tech in it.

I still think Windows Phone was built on good ideas. Vendor lock in and bad localization killed them in the end. In this market they have a brand and marketshare already, that helps.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Okay.

Wait wut? That's a cap.

That being said, I'd say that anyone living in a fairly urban area with modern internet is pretty ready. It's everyone else that's going to be left in the dust if Telcoms don't get their shit together.
I specified HOME internet. We don't have caps on wifi like many Americans do. Then I was pointing out that even on my phone I can already afford to stream content at very cheap prices.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly depending on how good this is, I'm in. I'll build a PC and buy whatever streaming box MS puts out.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
In a future is very, very likely that Sony (as Nintendo) will have to release their games on a storefront on windows (Ms platform) Android ..or iOS (with streaming too) and the "exclusives drive the Industry" shit will end one time for all

Sony's already distributing their games on PC via streaming.

The vision of playing Playstation games on a generic device via streaming is exactly what they have been investing in. Of course it'll happen, it'll expand, it'll be on more devices, and be more of their content.

I'm not even thinking Sony is doomed (because is not) but in 10/15 years when gaming will be hardware agnostic we will gonna choose the best infrastructure and the platform who give us best services ..and I'm not really seeing Sony and Nintendo (even less than sony) in the same game as Ms / Google Amazon.
The time of walled garden is slowly endind and there are companies (investing billions) that are already setting up for the new playground

Sony is hardly a winnow. They spend double digit billions a year operating the PS business. To put things in perspective, PS revenue was a neat match for total Azure revenue last year. From a revenue scale and revenue incentive point of view, Sony shouldn't be underestimated at all.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I still think Windows Phone was built on good ideas. Vendor lock in and bad localization killed them in the end. In this market they have a brand and marketshare already, that helps.

It was not having a good store that killed windows phone more than anything. They made the right kind of move buying Nokia, but then didn't get enough developers and advances on their storefront to make having a windows phone attractive.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubi and Capcom are already 3rd party devs making games for the Switch. Huge difference from what would be seen as a big advertisement for Microsoft and Xbox. Honestly, the idea that this could happen is so absurd I don't know why anybody would entertain this.

Microsoft and Nintendo already have a solid partnership around Minecraft. You're thinking of this as a service that drives people to Microsoft hardware, instead of realizing that it would add value to Switch as a platform. The overlap in available games would need to be quite large for Nintendo to view it as a threat to their actual game sales.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Is it possible the rumored Switch revision has something to do, at least in part, with this? Both are coming late next year. Perhaps Nintendo is adding sim-card support to the Switch to allow it to have 5G access to streaming services, as well as Nintendo Online, anywhere for those who chose to pay for another line.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
They'll definitely stick around and they're both dabbling in streaming themselves as well. They have key differentiators which justify their presence and success in the gaming market, even into the future (albeit depending on how much streaming takes off, maybe at a smaller scale).

You've actually made my point for me. The idea that suddenly streaming services will push out Sony and Nintendo is just not true. Firstly, they WILL adapt. Sony actually purchased Gaikai for streaming games, so it's not like they're just twiddling their thumbs, and i'm sure Nintendo is looking into this as well. Secondly, people are making a big deal of MS talking with ISPs...of course theyre talking with ISPs, it's doing your due diligence. They can't force them to do something they dont want, THEN we have the lack of net neutrality in the United States, you just know comcast is licking their chops at the possibility of a gaming level of internet subscription. I just think this is closer to the self driving car situation. Is it inevitable? Yes, but people are underestimating how long it will take to work as intended

Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible the rumored Switch revision has something to do, at least in part, with this? Both are coming late next year. Perhaps Nintendo is adding sim-card support to the Switch to allow it to have 5G access to streaming services, as well as Nintendo Online, anywhere for those who chose to pay for another line.

"I think you may have something here"

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
HD video is about 7MB/s. Games with proper graphics and control input will be something else.

Yeah, that's fine. Again I'm optimistic but I'm not buying stock or anything. I'll check it out next year. Right now I only have iPhone gaming on the go, so no matter what happens it can't get worse.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It's a good idea but implementation is going to be tricky. I have been trying out Nvidia streaming beta, tried that Shadow service, and a few others. It's still not quite there even with my home's FIOS connection (1gb, no caps). Latency issues, varying image quality, etc...

Now throw in less robust connection, more latency, and bandwidth caps and the solution won't be great for a lot of people. It's good to have it as a choice though.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about the US but where I am revenue per user has barely gone up while data consumption has skyrocketed. All technological efficiency savings were passed on to users and my understanding is that the same is true for most of the world. I see no reason why 5G would be any different.
In the US, it is the opposite, rates skyrocketing for basically no reason as coverage seems to shrink.

If there's going to be a bottleneck in the rollout and adoption of this stuff, it's going to be the US telcom services.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I think Nintendo wouldn't mind having this as an option. If the "Switch Pro" is able to play 3rd party games that the original can't, this could somewhat relieve that barrier. Plus they're positioned where the Switch would benefit the most from game streaming services.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So, Microsoft's PS Now basically. Glad they'll still have the normal flag ship experience on Xbox and PC.

Deleted member 37092

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Can the streaming service sustains the Triple A industry?

And above all,do you really want to be linked to a monthly fee and don't own literally anything?

Many doubts here...

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This guy truly gets the big issue nothing else will be more problematic. I want to see the goods cause it's not impossible for ISP to run solid hardware and software most just don't bother too.
Cloud gaming has been viable for 4 years or since FQ codel debuted as queueing tech and proved we could control latency.
?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Just checked the 4G coverage. With an average speed of ~75Mbit this should work on 4G in The Netherlands

DL2X8XC.png

So here's Verizon's reported 4g coverage.

vrizon-coverage-map.jpg

And upon doing a google speed test, I'm getting 18.6 down, 4 up. And I spend way too much a month on telcom fees.

Project Stream highly suggests 25down, and from playing last night, the stream was 22mbit.

If anything's going to fuck this up, it's going to be greedy american telcoms.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

I've talked about a queueing tech most companies can and could use but don't

The two most well known forms this tech are known as FQ-Codel or Cake.

Most nic interfaces use a fifo queue. Fifo queues have a lot of flaws but the biggest that should be pointed out is that all packets within the queue are processed first and if the queue is full all packets sent to it are dropped. Yet companies and consumers alike who are in to network tech and have the means have been switching to better tech over the last few years. I could name other schedulers and the like but they cannot kill bufferbloat or lessen it as it happens so they are no better than a fifo queue.

The two I mentioned work and unlike a single flow fifo queue DSCP priority is respecedt across a single flow or multiple flow setup. You have can have even more flows and with DSCP any company could massively have better performance for services or their games.

We could be using something consistent for latency like the following picture.

yZEnJyP.jpg

or we could keep this kind of queueing architecture which is the biggest fault known in bufferbloat.

300px-Data_Queue.svg.png

MS literally just did all that and then gimped themselves continuing to use their quasi fifo architecture which is known not to hold up in test that are looking for bufferbloat and stress the network it's being tested on.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Can the streaming service sustains the Triple A industry?

And above all,do you really want to be linked to a monthly fee and don't own literally anything?

Many doubts here...

It doesn't have to sustain, it's an additional option to reach new users. I don't foresee an explosive mass transition to streaming - this will be something that simmers alongside the existing distribution models for some time to come.

There's no reason under a given model why you can't own the games you're playing, if you buy them. The model here seems to be, buy the game, pay some fee (?), stream your games. In that model you own the games your buying.

In a pure subscription model, you're not owning anything...but other mediums have shown an appetite for wide instant access to a much larger library in exchange for ownership,

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good idea but implementation is going to be tricky. I have been trying out Nvidia streaming beta, tried that Shadow service, and a few others. It's still not quite there even with my home's FIOS connection (1gb, no caps). Latency issues, varying image quality, etc...

Now throw in less robust connection, more latency, and bandwidth caps and the solution won't be great for a lot of people. It's good to have it as a choice though.
That's not good to hear. Do you know how far away you were from the servers?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But then apple won't let you play your games on iPhone (like they did with Steam).

Maybe. It depends. For streaming services, it usually makes more sense to place your marketplace on as many devices as you can. You can use iTunes with anything (not that I'd suggest it).

Nov 12, 2017
Sony's already distributing their games on PC via streaming.

The vision of playing Playstation games on a generic device via streaming is exactly what they have been investing in. Of course it'll happen, it'll expand, it'll be on more devices, and be more of their content.

Sony is hardly a winnow. They spend double digit billions a year operating the PS business. To put things in perspective, PS revenue was a neat match for total Azure revenue last year. From a revenue scale and revenue incentive point of view, Sony shouldn't be underestimated at all.
Im not even arguing here ....
PlayStation brand is the strongest right now...but losing the walled garden is like starting a new game where the rules are differents ...and differently from what gaming on Exclusive hardware is......this time I see Sony really behind other competitors. Just this.
Is not doom and gloom for Sony in any form
As gamer I would love the idea to play all the games on one platform

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Nintendo already have a solid partnership around Minecraft. You're thinking of this as a service that drives people to Microsoft hardware, instead of realizing that it would add value to Switch as a platform. The overlap in available games would need to be quite large for Nintendo to view it as a threat to their actual game sales.

Nintendo won't allow a strange shop on their hardware were they don't earn a buck from streaming those games. They could partner up with microsoft, build their own shop and run some of the games over Microsofts servers (paying Microsoft for Server usage)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So like me you're with one of the most dishonest ISP an american user can get and it's not comcast. Comcast ironically enough has more anti bufferbloat tech than most ISP it just their policies towards users are driven by bad logic and even worse infrastructure. Because this post lets me I will highlight your problem and mine as stating why this should be addressed.

I've been bitching Hops (Hosts on path). The irony of Hops is that your isp is often the problem.

The ip that is timing out and not responding is a ATT node that after it goes through their modem and then their network eventually reaches one like that is just junk. How junk is that node will every night since I switched from the shit spectrum (formerly time warner cable) network I'm on basically will crap out all my games cause packets literally don't get through or go through slowly, like easily 500-2000MS. In the photo I left you can also see their ONT not performing as it should while my router is just fine. Don't let support tech ever say you are the problem when you can easily check on your own to see if you are. Always run diagnostics on game giving problems as windows performance counter can easily give you the destination ip to start a trace.

While I always recommend debloating your own network and getting good gear if you have bad traces or ping plots like me you can be shit out of luck as the problem is happening. Most ISP won't fix these problems and no video game company, groups of them and the same for consumers will sue any of these companies for shitty network practicies.

Don't be discouraged debloating helps the overall connection and ensures you're actually as low latency as possible which by default most users aren't.

Send me a PM if you want more help.

Thanks man! Really appreciate it. Yes ATT seems full of shit. Very frustrating. I'll probably PM you in the near future after I look into what you've said.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo won't allow a strange shop on their hardware were they don't earn a buck from streaming those games. They could partner up with microsoft, build their own shop and run some of the games over Microsofts servers (paying Microsoft for Server usage)

I definitely agree that Nintendo isn't going to allow this on their platform for free. I think we need more information on how Microsoft plans to handle pricing and support before drawing any real conclusions.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Im not even arguing here ....
PlayStation brand is the strongest right now...but losing the walled garden is like starting a new game where the rules are differents ...and differently from what gaming on Exclusive hardware is......this time I see Sony really behind other competitors. Just this.
Is not doom and gloom for Sony in any form
As gamer I would have the change to play all the games on one platform

Google,Amazon & Microsoft will turn Nintendo & Sony into Blockbuster if they don't change with the times Sony will adapt or merge with somebody Nintendo they are set in their ways

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool stuff. All that's needed to get me on board is 1) Some must-play games for me and 2) Reasonable pricing model.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Lol I hope tis nintendo..

My guess is everyone. Cloud compute is their primary business going forward. Sony is going to use someone's servers or invest in their own. Microsoft is the 2nd biggest cloud network but other corporations are investing and it's only a matter of time before there's multiple companies who can adequately cover all major regions. Sony will be doing the same thing. Only question is who's servers.

Just like Sony didn't lock out Blu-Ray drives from Xbox, I don't believe Microsoft will target Sony and lock them out of renting their servers...if they're interested and don't get a better deal from somewhere else. Microsoft's investors wouldn't allow it. Again Azure is Microsoft's core business. Gaming is important but it's not going to hold back potential profits from the core business.

Why do you think Microsoft has been playing so nice to their competitors in this space lately?

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Sony and Nintendo. Hopefully lord Bezos spares you all after #TeamAmazon buys out everything and everyone. Stay losing.. Non-Amazon gamers

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is everyone. Cloud compute is their primary business going forward. Sony is going to use someone's servers or invest in their own. Microsoft is the 2nd biggest cloud network but other corporations are investing and it's only a matter of time before there's multiple companies who can adequately cover all major regions. Sony will be doing the same thing. Only question is who's servers.

Just like Sony didn't lock out Blu-Ray drives from Xbox, I don't believe Microsoft will target Sony and lock them out of renting their servers...if they're interested and don't get a better deal from somewhere else. Microsoft's investors wouldn't allow it. Again Azure is Microsoft's core business. Gaming is important but it's not going to hold back potential profits from the core business.

Why do you think Microsoft has been playing so nice to their competitors in this space lately?

Apple is the one they gotta get. They need those iPhone and iPad users. Sony is no offense to them small potatoes by comparison.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Good luck getting most Americans to stream games when our internet infrastructure is complete garbage and won't be changing anytime soon.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Potentially paradigm-shifting news. It´s very probable that the unexpected Project Stream announcement forced Microsoft to show their cards a little before what had been planed (XO?), but it was known that the Nadella-Spencer led Xbox was ultimately leading to this.

I do believe that, if technically succesful (insignificant latency, effective worldwide coverage, aggresive pricing, etc.), these initiatives could threaten Sony´s position. As much as they are leading this generation, and as strong the Playstation brand currently is, they just wouldn´t be able to compete with something of this technological and financial magnitude. An all-out streaming battle between Microsoft and Google could change the rules of this industry, IMHO.

Are there some Project Stream beta impressions available already? Even as an Xbox / Microsoft products consumer, I think that Google will have the upper hand.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is the future all right

Thats why ubisoft said that next gen will be the last gen as we know today

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

You guess is correct. It makes the most sense from a business perspective in regards to cloud streaming.