Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think its pretty obvious he'll be gone, especially if you read the filings. They have the heads of each individual publisher (Activision, Blizzard, and King) reporting directly to Phil Spencer... not Kotick.
9I5f7p1.png

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If you acquire a company and you like the current leadership and you plan to keep them in command, you announce that when you buy the company. It's a vote of confidence in the existing leadership and helps ensure business continuity, two important factors when a company is changing hands.

It would be utterly bizarre for Microsoft to very specifically not do that and then still end up keeping Kotick on.

They've telegraphed their plans pretty openly.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't make sense for Bobby to stay anyway, at least not as a CEO. Phil is already CEO of MS Gaming which Activision will go under so the role would become redundant. I doubt Bobby would take a demotion.

Nothing can be announced now even a hint of one would wreck havoc the current operations at Activision. For now it's just business as usual.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Activision/Microsoft acquisition talk riles people up, so they get potential clicks. They're praying on angry fanboys or those that don't understand that changes can't be done or talked about yet.
Exactly, journalism at it's worse. But I guess that's how it often goes these days. Clicks, clicks, clicks. Let's ignore common sense for a second and say Kotick stays, then I would be very angry and disappointed in MS leadership. They can't make the mistake and keep Kotick.
Everyone saying this is non-news:

I think its pretty newsworthy that there is an official statement that there has been NO discussion whatsoever.

If anything that should cast doubt on the idea that Bobby will just pack up his stuff and leave.
Ding ding ding.

Companies announce plans well in advance. I haven't a clue where the idea that they can't talk about it is coming from. It is a cop-out response.
MS didn't talk about Kotick specifically, but they did mention the divisions lead by *insert names here* (can't remember them right now) will report directly to Spencer. Which kinda makes Kotick position obsolete. phonicjoy example isn't good imo, because the announcement talks about not changing anything and something positive (stability) for King.

While we believe Kotick leaving is good news, it may not be the investors opinion, because he saved the company from bankruptcy years ago. Remember they'll still need to vote for the acquisition or did so just days ago. Personally I've never seen a company announce departures before the acquisition was completed.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
then I would be very angry and disappointed in MS leadership. They can't make the mistake and keep Kotick.
To be fair, though, I don't think MS makes business decisions based on how they will make arsene_P5 feel. :P
But yes, the public backlash would be immense and I don't see them making that PR mistake.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Activision/Microsoft acquisition talk riles people up, so they get potential clicks. They're praying on angry fanboys or those that don't understand that changes can't be done or talked about yet.

This is well spotted and part of a much wider problem in content production at the moment.

Seems the reaction economy is way more profitable than the actual news economy.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
To be fair, though, I don't think MS makes business decisions based on how they will make arsene_P5 feel. :P
But yes, the public backlash would be immense and I don't see them making that PR mistake.
Yes, I didn't meant to say they'll care what I think. I am just a random person. I am just saying I would be angry and in general it's a mistake to do that imo, because of the PR and more importantly how the devs will feel inside the ABK arm.

Last edited:

Bengraven