• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
There's a bit of confusion in here --

Forgotten Empires, the developer working on Age II DE has members of Ensemble working there, not at the new MS Age studio
There's no change to the relationships with FE, Relic, etc. - the Age studio isn't taking over any projects from our development partners

Carry on!

So it basically a support studio and effectively separates age of empires from global publishing, leaving you guys to focus on other stuff?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
It's...questionable whether Gears is worth devoting a whole studio to in 2019. I'm not convinced that the games since the Epic buyout are performing any better than a new IP with a similar budget would.
I'm not even sure Gears is an interesting IP in 2019, except if it has a complete reboot (like God of War). Gears 5 seems to be a soft-reboot, but I don't know if it will be enough.

Halo Wars wasn't good enough for a true rts game. If that's your standard, you'll never be making good strategy games again.
I didn't played the first game, but Halo Wars 2 was a great game, probably one of the best exclusive from Microsoft this generation.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Ok I get that, PC is supreme yada yada... but how tf your going to tell me gears tactics is to much for a "simple controller" ????? Age of empires, ran, on, a, fucking, Nintendo, DS... just make "gimped" controller options a damn option. That's it, halo wars proved you can do it. Go ask 343 (or whomever made it I forgot) for help on that part. That's just stupid to release a high class game such as age of empires that was on everything under the damn sun at one point to just PC only... that sucks no matter how you slice it. End of the day it's us Xbox console players getting the short end of the stick. If I didn't have a Mac I'd really just give away my Xbox and play on PC at this point because I'd rather play ALL the games than some.

Also your logic makes zero sense for gears tactics, there's absolutely no reason for that game to not be on console.

I think you must be confusing a few things.

Age of Empires main entries are:

Age of Empires
Age of Empires Rise of Rome
Age of Empires 2
Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors
Age of Empires 3
Age of Empires 3 The Warchiefs
Age of Empires 3 The Asian Dynasties
Age of Mythology
Age of Mythology The Titans

Precisely a single entry from this list had a weird ps2 version, meaning the base Age 2. I dont know why you think Age of Empires was on everything under the sun because it is an exclusively PC series.

Halo Wars is so neutered and simplistic that Red Alert from 1996 is a deeper game than it. Halo Wars works because thats how it was made - for consoles. Everything is simple, automated and requires very little from the player. Thats not a strategy game that any serious strategist would want to play.

Even tactical games, they work on controllers because they're made just simple enough in order to not be a chore. Let me direct your attention to games like Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm or 7.62 Calibre and see how PC designed tactics games look. Do they look like something feasible on a gamepad? Dont let striped down games like XCom that were designed for consoles from the drawing board trick you that they work because their not real time and you can take your time.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Gears Tactics is a totally different genre than Age of Empires.

Yes. Gears Tactics should be on Xbox.

No. Age of Empires should not be played with a controller. It either means the game is dumbed down (and thereby destroying the franchise) or the controls would be a complete hassle. Making the game not fun at all to play.

Age of Empires on the DS was a turn based game, like Gears Tactics or XCOM.

Halo Wars wasn't good enough for a true rts game. If that's your standard, you'll never be making good strategy games again.
Amen.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asking why they don't want to port to consoles and adapt to a gamepad is like asking why a fighting game won't adapt to a steering wheel.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I think you might be jumping the gun a bit. Not even on the official Gears Tactics website does it say that it is PC exclusive, and what's it to stop from coming later? That one I can definitely see coming since XCOM was totally fine with a controller.

As for the gimped controller for AOE, that's not how it works. The DS version was a turn-based game. It was a completely different game.

Halo Wars works for the controller because it was DESIGNED for the controller in mind, that's why the game is so incredibly simple. Age of Empires is not designed for the controller, check out Age of Empires II for the Playstation 2, that's how the game would play with an Xbox controller, it's not worth it. Xbox owners who never played AOE would think "Why the hell is this trash so popular? It controls like ass". It would damage the brand more than help it.

The other solution would be to dumb down the game for controller users, and then you'll piss off the 99.9% of the rest of the gamers who are going to buy it on PC.
I say pull the trigger, there is an RTS audience on console, I used halo wars as an example, I'm not to sure on how it functions (literally the only RTS game I've ever liked was Age of empires) because I never played it but it seems to have a pretty big audience so their clearly doing something right. If has to be keyboard and mouse required I say do it. Especially since pretty soon will all be able to stream our games anywhere. If it had controller and keyboard and mouse support (I still believe they can pull of a controller option, were not in the ps2 era, I think gamers would understand that ok, this is a controller not a keyboard, I can manage but it'd still be better with a keyboard) who's to say I can't just stream to my old ass desktop and play it through that. I thought this whole thing with MS was to give us gamers options. I honestly believe there just taking the easy way out. I'd hope I wouldn't have to pay for xcloud (if xcloud even accounts for pc only Xbox games, I'm not sure) just to be able to play it. That would majorily suck.

Idk about gears though I remember everyone throwing a fit saying it was only on PC. I really hope we do get that. It's just a missed opportunity with age of empires. The king of RTS games. Make a port or something, it's just such wasted potential, if halo can do it they sure as hell can. Edit: also stop making fun of me for the age of empire ds game, that was my first age of empires lol, my uncle had 2 on his PC. Loved that game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I didn't played the first game, but Halo Wars 2 was a great game, probably one of the best exclusive from Microsoft this generation.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I really liked Halo Wars 2. But it's no Age of Empires-like quality. I'd encourage Microsoft to continue working on Halo Wars as a console friendly RTS.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Another thing to consider: I don't know if they could get AoE1 and AoE2 (don't know about AoE3) to run on Xbox One. Can imagine it requiring some oldskool tech not available to the Xbox One, mostly having to do with older versions of DirectX.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'd like to observe that I love grand strategy games and 'dumbed down' console strategy. None of this precludes a good game.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
BTW, because nobody has explained it yet. the main reason you cant play AoE with a gamepad is that in battle you are supposed to micromanage unit types to do specific tasks while in combat, like kiting with the cavalry archers while regular cavalry blocks/slow downs the engaging enemies, or using pikemen to defend archers against cavalry. If you can do that with a gamepad please prove me wrong.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Oh, don't get me wrong. I really liked Halo Wars 2. But it's no Age of Empires-like quality. I'd encourage Microsoft to continue working on Halo Wars as a console friendly RTS.
More than quality, I think Halo Wars is a more narrative IP. I would love a Halo Wars 3 where you can freely travel into a part of the universe (with ship personalisation and RTS fights). Something like a Total War, but in space.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
More than quality, I think Halo Wars is a more narrative IP. I would love a Halo Wars 3 where you can freely travel into a part of the universe (with ship personalisation and RTS fights). Something like a Total War, but in space.

Yeah, I loved the storytelling in Halo Wars 2. I think 343i did a better job with that then with Halo 5.

I'm not shitting on Halo Wars in any way. But when discussing Age of Empires.. that's an entirely different franchise with different requirements.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So World's Edge is the name

Earlier this year, we announced that Age of Empires now has a dedicated studio as part of the Xbox Game Studios family. Today, we unveiled that our studio, led by Shannon Loftis, is named World's Edge. Spanning multiple disciplines, our team of seasoned game developers is directing, guiding, innovating and caring for the legacy of Age of Empires. Working alongside development partners, we're breathing new life into our previous titles with Definitive Editions like Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition launching today, as well as working on Age's next chapter, Age of Empires IV.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wololo, Age gamers!

This is a super-emotional letter for me because I've been wanting to write it for nearly 10 years. Like many of you, I loved the original Age of Empires, and as Ensemble drove the Age of Empires games forward, I loved them even more. Matt Booty, Phil Spencer and I have spent a lot of time reminiscing about Age's past, and plotting the future for this limitless franchise. Working with partners like Relic, Forgotten Empires, and Tantalus, we've taken a 2-prong approach to revisiting Age of Empires: Honor the past, and bring the games into the future.

Today is an important day for us! All of the Age of Empires teams have been working hard toward today, XO – the day we not only launch Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, but we also start the long (very long!) series of reveals about Age of Empires IV. Hope you all enjoyed the show, and that you're as excited as we are about the future for Age.

In June, we announced that we've built a studio dedicated to all things Age. Yesterday, we announced the name: World's Edge. Why "World's Edge"? Because we love the fact that Age of Empires is about exploring without limit. Human history has so many stories to tell, RTS gameplay has plenty of depth yet to find, and you – the Age of Empires community – have unending passion for the game.

And so finally it is to you, the Age of Empires gamers, that we extend tremendous gratitude and thanks. You are global, you are vocal, you have dedicated your time and energy and passion to the Age of Empires games, and we're thrilled to be in the game with you. My friend Adam Isgreen likes to say that Age is Human, Global, Impactful, and Enlightening. These words also describe you! Thank you for your support and your attention.

Hope you all enjoy the relaunch of our greatest legacy game yet, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Hope to see you online, comp-stomping, PVP'ing, and streaming campaigns and mods.

XO

Shannon Loftis
Studio Head, World's End Edge

"By the way, you might have noticed during the XO19 broadcast that our studio name is listed as "World's End
." I'm so happy to let you know that we've pulled back from the brink! Humanity is saved! And the *actual* name for the new studio is "World's Edge."