• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this

And even if you didn't know the answer, googling "who owns the age of empire IP" has Xbox Games Studios as the first result 🤣

Not some confusing IP ownership like say Pokémon or anything.

I asked what the 3rd game was. Somebody answered me. I made a small remark in passing that I didn't MS owned it. Queue 5 pages of people tee heeing about me not knowing who the IP holder is, and saying that not knowing that was like not knowing who owns Mario or Sonic.

Feb 19, 2018
One is a sub service, the other is "owning" them as far as digital ownership goes.

I have Gamepass till 2023 and I might not renew, but I still want to play the games in the future without resubbing.
Still, you could play and beat the games on Gamepass for peanuts (especially with 'three months for 1€/$' offers for either PC Gamepass or Ultimate) and then get the game on Steam during sales or as cheap keys for peanuts one, two or three years down the line, rather than buying them soon after launch for 30 bucks (if not much more) on Steam right away.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I asked what the 3rd game was. Somebody answered me. I made a small remark in passing that I didn't MS owned it. Queue 5 pages of people tee heeing about me not knowing who the IP holder is, and saying that not knowing that was like not knowing who owns Mario or Sonic.
Flight Simulator, Age of Mythology and Age of Empires are among MS's oldest and more popular IPs and are well known among PC gamers especially older gamers.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Yeah I'm not sure why people are piling on you. It's an extremely simple question.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Neat. When can we have Gears 1-4 On Steam? 😩

=============
Is it though? I've been gaming on PC for over 20 years and I've never played an AoE game, and I'm sure I've forgotten who makes it before.

People have different tastes anyway, you can't know about everything.

Its not like I've never played RTS games either, but AoE wasn't one of them.

I dunno shit about Fortnite, that doesn't stop it from being a juggernaut series lol.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Flight Simulator, Age of Mythology and Age of Empires are among MS's oldest and more popular IPs and are well known among PC gamers especially older gamers.

I've been PC gaming since the early 90's and I couldn't tell you fact one about any of those franchises. Not everyone who games on PC is into sims or RTS.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Revenue from Steam doesn't have to carry Xbox on its shoulders to make this meaningful. Remember, MS games are selling well despite Game pass being an option on PC. This is a great sign and will also encourage Sony to release more games on Steam and that can't be a bad thing.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wishful thinking as long as Sony is so successful with their current model. Sony is way more reliant on their first party games and on selling hardware. Just like Nintendo. And both are way more successful with that than Microsoft was. So Microsoft had to change things.
Not really, in terms of success. Sony have said multiple times console is compared to global base of gamers. Jim saying console sales of LoU2 selling as much as it did frustrates him. Sony are changing because thet have to as well. Thinking interms of hardware exclusivity is squandering opportunity for greater gains, MS doing so well is certainly impacting how Sony see's it's portfolio, I'm think it's reasonable to assume, in this era of pandemic and chip shortages MS new games being playable on more machines then PS5s has probably caught them off guard,. We can see that with their aquisitions and their recent release of marquee I.Ps on PCs that they do feel the need to change and not rely exclusively on consoles to shift their games. I think we'll see a select range of games being day and date with P.C, still, that'd be a huge shift from what we've come to expect.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Wishful thinking as long as Sony is so successful with their current model. Sony is way more reliant on their first party games and on selling hardware. Just like Nintendo. And both are way more successful with that than Microsoft was. So Microsoft had to change things.
Sony's current model has a hard ceiling on player acquisition and total possible sales. They make the majority of their money from software sales, subs, and the associated purchases for those games. They've already recognized that being limited to strictly their own console is limiting them, buying studios to handle PC work is kinda a gigantic beacon of where they're going, even if it's going to take 5-10 years to make that transition.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Anyway
4sa1Ln6.jpg

Yeah, that's been the official line since Steam began selling third-party games all the way back when, and I'm 99% sure it's more robust than what most people think.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I bought quite a few MS games on Steam actually. Gamepass is a nice way to check out games, but I prefer to own games, and in one digital library at that. Not to mention that the windows store isn't that great as well.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure if you ignore microtransactions from Sea of Thieves and Halo Infinite and the fact that Forza Horzion 4 and 5 both have $100 ultimate editions that were super popular. (Forza 5 had 24.6k CCU on steam when the minute Early Access ended, this was entirely Ultimate Edition players 5 days after release on a monday night). Steam also decreases dev cut after a game makes $10m and $50m in revenue, Which most of their big games have no doubt long since passed.

You also have to take in account "Xbox revenue" includes hardware, xbox live gold subs and Minecraft revenue. The minecraft marketplace alone is a massive money maker.
I think you meant that they decrease Steam's own cut, thus increasing the dev cut.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Well, having tried it for the very first time yesterday, I never got past the 'microsoft gaming services error. I tried for around three hours and never got anywhere. The service is simply unusable at this point.

On-topic, hopefully they open up their future titles to mods. I hear the modding experience is extremely limited.
I think they announced that they were dopping the use of UWPs, but doing a search for it, it seems that they first mentioned that two years ago. Although I remember they made an announcement about it recently. Hopefully, they will finally do something to fix that mess next year.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
XGP isn't available everywhere.

I live probably in the only country in the world where XGP isn't but PSNow is (Luxembourg).

there were also some bugs/problems on PC.

It is only available in 40 countries, whereas Steam is everywhere.

I have the fear they would (only) release the bedrock version of Minecraft which negates 99% of the mods who only work with the java version.

PC Game Pass has both java and bedrock. They even made a nice launcher to give you options.

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty cool seeing this success. Nintendo would never but if Sony also continues down this path I'd be thrilled with only needing a PC and a switch to play everything
This is probably my most wanted event in all of gaming since a new 2D Metroid. Imagine the (assumed) next Last of Us in 4k 144hz wth gsync. Or ideally for me, on ultrawide 144hz gsync.
Good on Microsoft.

Now, bring the missing Gears games to PC, you cowards.
Seriously. I have 1 and 4 on PC I want to binge play that shiz.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
People talking about wanting to "own their games" as if they actually own any of their digital games on Steam......

You can buy (not rent) games on the Xbox App too, but like all digital games you don't really "own" it like physical media. If Valve ever wants to, they can revoke all your games if they see fit.

That's not quite true. Some games on Steam are DRM free. You could put them on a disc if you wanted to and "own" them, just like any other physical media and Valve would have no way of revoking your access to those.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
That's not quite true. Some games on Steam are DRM free. You could put them on a disc if you wanted to and "own" them, just like any other physical media and Valve would have no way of revoking your access to those.
This is pretty interesting as I've never heard of this option before. Is this mainly for small indies or are there AAA blockbusters from big publishers that allow it? I assumed all games sold to you on Steam were being licensed to the user without exception which is how GoG tried to distinguish themselves by letting you actually own the games purchased on their platform.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's just weird to me cuz you could literally just play these three games for a fraction of the cost. But people just really don't want to leave the Steam bubble.

People in the "xbox bubble" also still buy these games despite the existence of Game Pass.

This is pretty interesting as I've never heard of this option before. Is this mainly for small indies or are there AAA blockbusters from big publishers that allow it? I assumed all games sold to you on Steam were being licensed to the user without exception which is how GoG tried to distinguish themselves by letting you actually own the games purchased on their platform.

Whoever wants to release a game that way on Steam can. It's a package manager, basically. Not automatic DRM. Some major studios release their games that way on Steam (like CDPR, of course), and even the major games that launch with DRM sometimes have it removed later on.

GOG's still the place to go for the guarantee across your entire library, of course.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
People like buying games on steam. News at 11. Glad this is doing well. Give people a choice. Put your games on all marketplaces and let people buy/play the games where they want.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm more than happy to contribute! I've been very pleased about Microsoft releasing their games on Steam (with cross-play!) so I don't have to use the crap launcher/application that is the Microsoft Store and Game Pass PC.

Steam sales combined with IsThereAnyDeal and CDKeys make it super easy to buy things with a significant discount so I'm never paying full price for any game.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Who would've thought that offering your games to people that probably wouldn't have bought your hardware anyway might result in great sales 🤔
But anyway, that's great news.

Hey Sony? Take note. I can only imagine the numbers that Bloodborne would do if it was released on PC.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Who would've thought that offering your games to people that probably wouldn't have bought your hardware anyway might result in great sales 🤔
But anyway, that's great news.

Hey Sony? Take note. I can only imagine the numbers that Bloodborne would do if it was released on PC.
"No sales" was never the reason why console vendors didn't realese their games on PC.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree and all console vendors in history do the same.
I mean, the numbers don't really back you up on this one. Games that used to be consoles exclusive are selling incredibly well on PC (as this thread indicates as well as Sony buying a company speciliazed in PC ports) and console sales sure as hell haven't gone down, so...

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the numbers don't really back you up on this one. Games that used to be consoles exclusive are selling incredibly well on PC (as this thread indicates as well as Sony buying a company speciliazed in PC ports) and console sales sure as hell haven't gone down, so...
What i'm saying is that they would have always sold well enough to warrant a port.
What changed compared to the past isn't the fact that they can make extra money what changed is their ecosystem - consoles were the only way to create your own ecosystem in the past, but due to digital/streaming they went from being a necessity to being a limitation. It just doesn't make sense for them anymore to link their ecosystem to specific hardware and if your ecosystem isn't linked to a specific hardware your games aren't either.