• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
One of the theories that was often bandied about after Scalebound's cancellation, was that the games 4 player co-op feature was one of the biggest issues and that MS "forced" it onto the game. Well that wasn't the case according to a former Platinum producer :

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise there. People love to throw around unfounded narratives to find blame where it doesn't exist.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Yet another talking point surrounding this games cancelation isnt true, suprise suprise.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The way people try to talk to Kellams like they know more about the game that he was a creative producer on is infuriating.

Everything about what really went wrong with Scalebound seems like textbook Occam's razor, and we'll still get folks arguing otherwise in a year from now. Sometimes, the developer over-scopes and is severely ill-prepared for the challenges therein that leads to projects just like this one getting cancelled without the publisher even coming anywhere near the real trouble.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
Bro, thanks for reminding me again that this once existed. I was always a PlayStation User but even I felt sad this got cancelled.

OP
OP
JINX

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Butter Gaas?!

....Butter...
giphy.gif

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Buh Buh it had to be evil microsofts fault it just had to!!!

Honestly this is just someone in the knows response to a clearly bad take, sad people think stuff up like this in the first place. What's even worse is others actually believing unfounded rumors.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This became clear a long time ago if you read around about the troubled development.
Whether it was a MS mandate or not, I still thought the co-op was not really a good idea at all and definitely seemed to be a feature that contributed to the bloated scope of the game

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
it's so much easier to take the position that microsoft is very evil and pushed for bad things. people do this shit with rare too and how they say "microsoft forced them to make kinect sports". it's annoying

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was known a long time ago? I mean obviously things happened on both sides for the game to fail, MS just took the brunt of it because of their suspect history and having previously been involved in numerous studio closures and game dev failures, and it was coming on the heels of shitty publisher actions from the likes of Bethesda, etc.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The conspiracy theorists in this community are the absolute worst, spreading misinformation that doesn't allow the conversation to focus on facts. Of course we know what their motivations are.

Last edited:

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Myth busted.

XGS Publishing put out games that were singe-player during the Xbox One gen, it was frustrating that there was this narrative that Xbox insisted on ubiquitous multiplayer/co-op as their house style. We have a public example of Microsoft seeking Kinect features from Obsidian with Stormlands rather than demanding multiplayer/co-op on published projects in that early-to-mid Xbox One era, yet there was this perception around mutliplayer.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Inaba has even said in interviews that he thinks Platinum bit off more than they could chew with Scalebound and that both Platinum and MS are to blame for its cancellation (https://www.destructoid.com/platinum-accepts-partial-fault-for-scalebounds-cancelation/).

The narrative that the project failed solely due to MS is straight up not true and mostly exists because the game was canceled at a time when Platinum was beloved and MS was hated so people made assumptions. I think Platinum has made some amazing stuff but it's more clear than ever that management has never been the studio's strong suit and it's easy to see them underestimating the scope of a big AAA product.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
While the quote might cover Scalebound specifically, it's not as easy as saying that because the developer wanted it, the publisher had nothing to do with it. Let's take a hypothetical example: Microsoft gets 100 pitches for games. 50 service game pitches and 50 single player pitches. Out of those they choose to approve 40 service games and 4 single player titles, also giving the service games substatantially larger budgets.

In that theoretical example you could also say, that the developer was the one pitching the service games, but if far more service games gets approved and they also get larger budgets, how long before developers catch on and mostly start pitching service games, knowing full well they have a much larger chance of being approved?

Now, this is purely hypothetical. We don't know the amount of pitches they got, though we do have several sources talking about how they were pushing for service games and of course we know the amount of games making it to market and can attempt to guess their budgets. That doesn't necessarily say anything about Scalebound specifically, but it is an interesting question to ask: Would Scalebound had been just as likely to be approved, if it had been a single player one and done title, as if it had co-op/service elements?

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
While the quote might cover Scalebound specifically, it's not as easy as saying that because the developer wanted it, the publisher had nothing to do with it. Let's take a hypothetical example: Microsoft gets 100 pitches for games. 50 service game pitches and 50 single player pitches. Out of those they choose to approve 40 service games and 4 single player titles, also giving the service games substatantially larger budgets.

In that theoretical example you could also say, that the developer was the one pitching the service games, but if far more service games gets approved and they also get larger budgets, how long before developers catch on and mostly start pitching service games, knowing full well they have a much larger chance of being approved?

Now, this is purely hypothetical. We don't know the amount of pitches they got, though we do have several sources talking about how they were pushing for service games and of course we know the amount of games making it to market and can attempt to guess their budgets. That doesn't necessarily say anything about Scalebound specifically, but it is an interesting question to ask: Would Scalebound had been just as likely to be approved, if it had been a single player one and done title, as if it had co-op/service elements?
Man people really be jumping through a circus worth of hoops trying to find some way to pin this on microsoft lmao

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Not surprised by this at all.

I think the whole "Evil publisher" - "Good guys developers" narrative that is very prevalent in the gaming community leads to people just automatically assigning blame on one side, and then coming up with wild theories about "what actually happened".

Developers are people too and they can fuck up a project as much as the publisher.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

You're making a criticism of Microsoft Studios' overall Xbox One strategy though. On which I would agree that it was misguided to focus so much on MP games back then.

That's not really what this thread is getting at, however. I'll admit I was one of the ones who suspected that Xbox was pushing this on Platinum. Much because of what their strategy looked like at the time. Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, "the power of the cloud", etc. It seemed like they were going all in on multiplayer. Even Press Play was going in a more MP centric direction. I'll gladly eat crow on this one, though.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this game 200 times more positive duscussion than negative after it's cancelation said it all really.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017

You really want to pin this on MS with this wild theory huh?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Inaba has even said in interviews that he thinks Platinum bit off more than they could chew with Scalebound and that both Platinum and MS are to blame for its cancellation (https://www.destructoid.com/platinum-accepts-partial-fault-for-scalebounds-cancelation/).

The narrative that the project failed solely due to MS is straight up not true and mostly exists because the game was canceled at a time when Platinum was beloved and MS was hated so people made assumptions. I think Platinum has made some amazing stuff but it's more clear than ever that management has never been the studio's strong suit and it's easy to see them underestimating the scope of a big AAA product.
This is exactly why Platinum should always stick to their guns with more linear action/adventure style games. That's their bread and butter and I don't think anyone who is a Platinum fan wants or asks them to make an open world game that has a big scope.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Please cite those sources, specifically sources from Microsoft. I look at what else they were pushing around the same time from third parties (early XB1 games), Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, RYSE, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dead Rising 3/4, Recore, Ori, etc etc...none of them were live service games. They were mostly all very single player focused "one and done", projects that they were having third party developers work on for them.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Well, it sounds like they were way too ambitious with this game.

It was supposed to be their biggest game yet with some kind of RPG structure iirc, a main character with his dragon at all time, 4 player coop for a dev focused on SP games until... Babylon's Fall? (Oups, sorry Anarchy Reigns! :P) And all that while working with a new engine for their team (UE).

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Ms pretty much got full blame for this cancel. Even though, and when the developers keep saying it was their own ideas and fault.

Ms can new blamed for announcing and showing too early.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how much random forum chatter from randoms that people took as absolute gospel and how well it managed to penetrate and spread.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

Why do you really expect to get from this line of musing?

You got the Creative Producer saying they pitched the game as having 4-player co-op after someone tweeted at him factually wrong information, and you respond to that with some longwinded "hypothetical" that is little more than insinuating that Microsoft's gameplan at the time heavily coerced Platinum to make it 4 player co-op.

It's especially rich given how Platinum has talked about and handled their games since. Nier: Automata is their most successful title and the game they pitched to SE as a follow-up to the previous partnership is a GAAS Game. Inaba has talked about how they're looking at games that players engage with for a long time.

Is it such a wild idea that they've been wanting to do this for a while now?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
You're making a criticism of Microsoft Studios' overall Xbox One strategy though. On which I would agree that it was misguided to focus so much on MP games back then.

I don't see it as a criticism, so much as a recognization that developers will likely pitch different things to different publishers and every publisher have games, that are more in line with their overall strategy than others. If you're pitching a game with a lot of nudity, would Nintendo be the first publisher, you'd seek out? Was it completely random that Kojima's pitch became a one and done single player game with Sony, while the rumored Stadia project with Google was different in structure? I would certainly doubt that.

That's not really what this thread is getting at, however. I'll admit I was one of the ones who suspected that Xbox was pushing this on Platinum. Much because of what their strategy looked like at the time. Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, "the power of the cloud", etc. It seemed like they were going all in on multiplayer. Even Press Play was going in a more MP centric direction.

I think we see it somewhat similarly. When I look at games like Crackdown suddenly being about the power of the cloud or the tv elements of Quantum Break or Sunset Overdrive tv in-game elements or several developers suddenly switching to Kinect for franchises ill-fitted for it, I see that as examples of how the overall direction of the publisher influences the games being made. That doesn't mean that the games weren't pitched or wanted by the developer or that it was right or wrong to approve them. It's back to what I said earlier about different publishers being more likely to approve titles that fit their overall strategy.

And like I said in my other post, all of this obviously doesn't say anything about Scalebound specifically.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see it as a criticism, so much as a recognization that developers will likely pitch different things to different publishers and every publisher have games, that are more in line with their overall strategy than others. If you're pitching a game with a lot of nudity, would Nintendo be the first publisher, you'd seek out? Was it completely random that Kojima's pitch became a single player game with Sony, while the rumored Stadia project with Google was supposedly cloud focused? I would certainly doubt that.

I think we see it somewhat similarly. When I look at games like Crackdown suddenly being about the power of the cloud or the tv elements of Quantum Break or Sunset Overdrive tv in-game elements or several developers suddenly switching to Kinect for franchises ill-fitted for it, I see that as examples of how the overall direction of the publisher influences the games being made. That doesn't mean that the games weren't pitched or wanted by the developer or that it was right or wrong to approve them. It's back to what I said earlier about different publishers being more likely to approve titles that fit their overall strategy.

And like I said in my other post, all of this obviously doesn't say anything about Scalebound specifically.
Xbox' strategy was weighted way too much towards MP gaming last gen. That's why I saw your post as a criticism of their strategy. They lost their way, if you ask me.

MP is still clearly an important part of Xbox' strategy, but now they're back to the balance they struck in the X360 era when they had titles such as Fable, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Rare's titles, etc. to round out their lineup alongside their MP offerings. Honestly, they've never had as strong of a selection of 1st party SP devs and games as they do now.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, never seen Platinum have trouble developing a game before.

There was also the Granblue Fantasy Relink development which Platinum was taken off of, seemed of similar scope with having 4 player coop functionality in a RPG setting. It looks like they couldn't crack it until Babylon's Fall which has the online coop elements.

The game had a different aesthetic style but it seemed like it was doing similar things to the more recent Cygames developed version:

Last edited:

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Ms pretty much got full blame for this cancel. Even though, and when the developers keep saying it was their own ideas and fault.

Ms can new blamed for announcing and showing too early.
It's amazing. I was one that thought MP was forced by MS. I was apparently WRONG.

I can only imagine the vitriol that would be spewed at them if they green lit the game a second time and it got cancelled again!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
There was also the Granblue Fantasy Relink development which Platinum was taken off of, seemed of similar scope with having 4 player coop functionality in a RPG setting. It looks like they couldn't crack it until Babylon's Fall which has the online coop elements.

The game had a different aesthetic style but it seemed like it was doing similar things to the more recent Cygames developed version:

Haha, I was being just a bit facetious. They've definitely had issues on a few games, like Granblue, Bayonetta development hell, etc.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
And no one will read this and continue to say otherwise for years to come!

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, this is a conspiracy theory too.
It really isn't. It's discussion OT on the old forum had very little activity but it's cancelation thread had well over a hundred pages in just a week or two. The idea that Scalebound was going to be this GOAT release and looked excellent was manufactured by fanboys after the fact.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Platinum seems to be a studio that really lacks focus. And it shows in their output. They release a banger followed by a bad game.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They were making their first UE4 game that was open world, where you can fly around on, then fight enemies with your advanced AI partner, on Xbox One.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil

This is not purely hypothetical, this is pure console war lmao

The evil Microsoft imposed multiplayer on those poor developers that only wanted to
make a single player game but had to otherwise they wouldn't get approved :( so sad!

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
All about the narratives. MS was seen as the bad guys back then, now they are the pro consumer saviours of the gaming industry.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Well I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought people came to that conclusion about the co-op thing because it was reported on at the time, at least that was the impression I had (It is possible it was Era who fed that impression though).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Buh Buh it had to be evil microsofts fault it just had to!!!

Honestly this is just someone in the knows response to a clearly bad take, sad people think stuff up like this in the first place. What's even worse is others actually believing unfounded rumors.
I believe a lot of people will tend to blame the publisher versus the developer for troubles or cancellations. Developers never make bad decisions or mistakes in their opinion.
it's so much easier to take the position that microsoft is very evil and pushed for bad things. people do this shit with rare too and how they say "microsoft forced them to make kinect sports". it's annoying
Absolutely. Rare wanted to do the Kinect games and actually they don't want to work on old IP, despite some fan demanding it.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
now they are the pro consumer saviours of the gaming industry.

Where you been for the last 12 months haha, you completely missed big bad monopoly ruining the games industry by buying everyone up and putting their games in game pass for $10 a month!

This very tweet alone is still going on about big bad MS