• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Xbox Edition
Metacritic:
92%

------------------------

Windows Central - 4.5/5
Microsoft Flight Simulator expands to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S as a truly next-generation experience, presenting a technical showcase to flex these new systems. The title sports commendable optimizations on console and maintains solid performance, especially as a title reputable for pushing the best PC hardware out there. While Xbox Series X renders striking vistas with a 4K target, it's the Xbox Series S that takes the spotlight with incredible results on this $299 box. It's the toughest test yet on next-generation systems, but a slick port makes it snag-free.

The Xbox release presents an opportunity to witness one of Microsoft's latest innovations in gaming from the couch. The title is a welcomed addition to the genre often neglected on consoles, considering newcomers and enthusiasts. The culmination of satellite imagery, mapping, and meteorological data, both visually stunning and committed to authenticity, provides an unmatched experience.

ArsTechnica - unscored
's beauty makes it must-play on Xbox Series X, even if only for a one-month free Xbox Game Pass trial. But while its console port is a technological triumph, it might still be too boring for a lot of players. Series S players should temper expectations with a bit less beauty.

Eurogamer - Essential
And yet in its new context of the living room, something else comes to life in Microsoft Flight Simulator. For casual sightseers like myself who treat this as the ultimate screensaver, picking a point on the map before loading in and switching on a suite of the generous assists on offer - or even handing over complete control to the more than able AI co-pilot - this might just be the ideal version. I've lost whole evenings this past weekend starting softly out of the window of a 747, watching the clouds float by and chasing the sun past the horizon, getting caught up in the magic and wonder of Asobo and Microsoft Game Studio's staggering creation all over again.

There's work to be done - and thanks to this version receiving future updates alongside the PC version, work that's already well underway - and you might want to temper expectations before heading in. Perhaps most importantly, though, this is Microsoft Flight Simulator on console in all its glory and occasional clunkiness, and with that sense of splendour and wonder unsullied by the small imperfections along the way. It remains one of the most breathtaking videogame achievements in recent years, and on console one of the most incredible next-gen experiences to date.

Press Start - 10/10
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a game that you have to play to understand just how incredible of an experience it is. It's an incomparable adventure that consistently surprises and delights. The game provides you with all the tools necessary to conquer the unthinkable task of flying the plane. Asobo has laid an incredible platform that will provide hours upon hours of joy for both casual gamers and flight experts alike, and it's only upwards from here.

Mondo Xbox - 9.5/10
English summary:
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a true masterpiece on Xbox, capable of setting new standards and, notwithstanding some smears, of tracing a path for the new generation. The extremely high level of simulation, the excellent technical component and the possibility of faithfully exploring practically every point on Earth make this new chapter a must-have for all flight enthusiasts, but thanks to the many aids it can also be appreciated by those who have never tried a similar title. Unmissable.

www.eurogamer.it

Microsoft Flight Simulator per Xbox Series X|S - recensione

Ecco la nostra recensione della versione Xbox Serie X|S di Microsoft Flight Simulator, il simulatore di Microsoft che s…

attackofthefanboy.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator Works Surprisingly Well on Xbox | Attack of the Fanboy

Microsoft Flight Simulator lands on Xbox Series X|S on July 27, but I've been given the opportunity to take to the skies with the console version of the

Last edited:

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Ours (Italian): 9.5 https://www.mondoxbox.com/recensione/3375/microsoft-flight-simulator.html
English summary:
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a true masterpiece on Xbox, capable of setting new standards and, notwithstanding some smears, of tracing a path for the new generation. The extremely high level of simulation, the excellent technical component and the possibility of faithfully exploring practically every point on Earth make this new chapter a must-have for all flight enthusiasts, but thanks to the many aids it can also be appreciated by those who have never tried a similar title. Unmissable.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Here we go!

Review scores do not matter to me that much but I wonder if the fact that these versions might be even more playable and accessible will grant them better scores or not

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Got my extended cables for my flight stick i am ready to fly baby.

Is this going to be another global release or do we know the NZ trick will work?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Is this going to be another global release or do we know the NZ trick will work?

July 27:

• PDT: 08:00 AM
  • EDT: 11:00 AM
  • BRT: 12:00 PM
  • BST: 04:00 PM
  • CEST: 05:00 PM
  • MSK: 06:00 PM
  • IST: 08:30 PM
  • CST: 11:00 PM
July 28:

• JST: 12:00 AM
  • AEST: 01:00 AM
  • NZST: 03:00 AM

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am really tempted to pick this up but I wonder what kind of experience I'll get out of this game. I mean for stuff like Euro Truck Simulator 2, I had set goals like the parcel deliveries and managing a truck fleet.

Is there any sort of Airline management aspects to this. Like maintaining a successful airline? Or is jut strictly a realistic flying simulator.

I also have a fairly high-end PC (i9 9900K, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram) so while I probably have the benefit of getting the most out of this game on my PC but something about owning it on my Series X sounds more appealing.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I understand you can plug a mouse and keyboard into a Series X, will I be able to do the same with my thrustmaster t-flight hotas or is that too much of an ask?

Oct 28, 2017
Ars Technica review mentions a "mostly smooth 60fps" multiple times, with drops towards 30 fps when moving camera in certain situations. I thought it was locked 30 with an option for vrr that would go slightly higher?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Hmm seems like the Helicopter update won't happen until sometime in 2022.

I wanted to do some low flybys of my city and local neighborhood. I guess maybe a small Biplane might be slow enough. I guess it's not super detailed closer to the ground but I think maybe most of the major landmarks are covered?

Like I should be able to spot Lincoln Financial field (It's not too far from Philadelphia International Airport) and stuff like William Penn's Statue on top of the one building near City Hall should be visible or maybe I'm asking for too much?

I guess managing an Airline fleet and needing to successfully transport passengers from one Airport to another, deal with different weather issues. High priority flights needing to get somewhere within a specific time limit? These aren't the focus of this game?

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Sorry if this has already been asked but is it recommended you install the offline download even if you will be online all the time? Or is it just a waste of sdd space.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has already been asked but is it recommended you install the offline download even if you will be online all the time? Or is it just a waste of sdd space.
Its a back up. For if internet drops or you for some reason want to play offline. But if you have decent internet and no issues fully using the bandwidth then the offline pack isnt really needed.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

I wanted to do some low flybys of my city and local neighborhood. I guess maybe a small Biplane might be slow enough. I guess it's not super detailed closer to the ground but I think maybe most of the major landmarks are covered?

Like I should be able to spot Lincoln Financial field (It's not too far from Philadelphia International Airport) and stuff like William Penn's Statue on top of the one building near City Hall should be visible or maybe I'm asking for too much?

I guess managing an Airline fleet and needing to successfully transport passengers from one Airport to another, deal with different weather issues. High priority flights needing to get somewhere within a specific time limit? These aren't the focus of this game?
There are some Heli's from the community i believe

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ars Technica review mentions a "mostly smooth 60fps" multiple times, with drops towards 30 fps when moving camera in certain situations. I thought it was locked 30 with an option for vrr that would go slightly higher?

If you have a VRR TV it's unlocked FPS and should be mostly in the high 50-60 if you're not flying through giant cities.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Something I hadn't thought of until now, it is possible to use a racing wheel and pedals with this game?

That may be an alternative for those that race but don't typically play flight sims.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

Didn't check for Billy Penn, but the sports complex was well represented when last I flew over Philly in the PC version.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
One more day:

tCFgQkC.gif

VaidasA

Apr 27, 2018
So excited, my Series X is ready! Was dreaming for this game from the first moment it was announced.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Gorgeous looking game with console compromises. I'm hoping the menus aren't as laggy as the pc version at least.

When playing it I can't help but think of the game as an interactive screensaver ala wallpaper engine with controls.

Still had a lot of enjoyment flying around my home town.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I am really tempted to pick this up but I wonder what kind of experience I'll get out of this game. I mean for stuff like Euro Truck Simulator 2, I had set goals like the parcel deliveries and managing a truck fleet.

Is there any sort of Airline management aspects to this. Like maintaining a successful airline? Or is jut strictly a realistic flying simulator.

I also have a fairly high-end PC (i9 9900K, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram) so while I probably have the benefit of getting the most out of this game on my PC but something about owning it on my Series X sounds more appealing.

nah, there is no such thing.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think there are going to be a lot of games that are "impressive, especially on the $299 console" as Microsoft drops support for the Xbox One.

People sleep on the Series S but that thing is no slouch.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
AAA goodness. Quite shocked knowing I will be playing this tomorrow.

When I first saw this game on PC I always thought unless I got a powerful PC one day I would never get to play this game.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I was given a copy of this for the series X and I honestly thought it came out already. The thing is I don't own a series X so idk what to do with it. I'll prob do a giveaway here for it tbh. Anyways I just hope everyone enjoys the game the scores are looking good

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

no career mode but on pc there are several mature add on options (neofly, fseconomy, onair, etc). It's play anywhere so if you can stomach windows store you don't have to choose between Xbox and PC

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
This is the game I got my Series S and gamepass for.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
no career mode but on pc there are several mature add on options (neofly, fseconomy, onair, etc). It's play anywhere so if you can stomach windows store you don't have to choose between Xbox and PC
What does that mean? I can install mods on PC and play it on Xbox?

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Curious how this works with controller-only by now. The last time I played it on PC it felt like you still need to have a keyboard handy for a lot of things.
Menu navigation in general was also not great with a controller.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Polygon: Yes, Microsoft Flight Simulator actually works on Xbox Series X. The user interface, on the other hand...

If you're a console die-hard looking for an easy way into the skies on July 27, prepare for a lot of turbulence.

After a lengthy 102.1 GB download and installation, I had everything I needed to get started when I logged in Friday morning. From there, it was just a couple of clicks to get flying — an experience that was virtually the same as playing on PC.

Notice I said "clicks." Microsoft Flight Simulator uses a virtual mouse on Xbox, which makes interactions slow and tedious. That's especially true in the cockpit, where literally dozens of switches and dials fill the interactive dashboard wherever you look. The imprecise nature of the virtual mouse makes cold-starting anything off a checklist a nightmare.

Where things begin to bog down is in the menu interface. On Xbox, Microsoft Flight Simulator uses the same byzantine menu structure as the PC version, but with a few graphical hitches thrown in for good measure. Entries have a tendency to overlap one another on occasion, making selecting or even reaching some items impossible. Rebooting the game was the only way I found to clear those errors.

Our early testing seems to show that Microsoft Flight Simulator, for all its rough edges, is every bit the technical marvel on Xbox as it is on PC.

[The new console audience will] just need to get over a few quirks to enjoy the trip.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Polygon - The reviewer seemed to have a couple nitpicks but that's mostly due to the fact he is coming from the PC version but overall he says the game is a technical marvel.

Control surfaces are easy to manage, with good placement all around the controller. While the rudder was twitchy on the default setting, it responds well with the controller's analog triggers. Even adjusting the trim and the angle of the flaps is a breeze. Meanwhile, the camera controls are smooth and responsive, both inside and outside the cockpit.

If it sounds like I'm coming down hard on the Xbox version of Microsoft Flight Simulator, understand that it's partially because I've been playing the PC version for a few years now. There are plenty of oddities on the PC side that I've simply gotten used to over time, and it's likely that many of those in the console version eventually will be patched out or smoothed over.

Our early testing seems to show that Microsoft Flight Simulator, for all its rough edges, is every bit the technical marvel on Xbox as it is on PC. It will also be part of Xbox Game Pass when it launches next week, which will open up the world of flight to a whole new audience. They'll just need to get over a few quirks to enjoy the trip.

I can't wait to jump in.

Oct 29, 2017
Polygon -

cant wait to jump in.

Not sure if they changed up trimming on a controller, but that was my biggest gripe. This needs to be done on simple aircraft and it is a very manual function.

My suggestion is to put trim up and trim down on the RB and LB instead of the Dpad up and down. This way, you can control the yoke bitch and trim the pitch at the same time which makes it a lot easier.

It's still a bit tricky with buttons, but it works much better.

Edit: I'm going to leave the yoke bitch in.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
A smooth running, stunningly looking, proper Flight Simulator will release tomorrow on a 300$ console.

What a time to be gamer.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
93% at the moment.

Assuming it is comparable to the PC release, there's just so little you can fault about MSFS2020. It does exactly what it sets out to do to an insanely high level of quality and pushes the tech beyond how anyone has ever used it.

It was my GOTY in 2020 and i still think it's a masterpiece. Can't wait to try the console version.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Played the hell out of this on PC for a while, but super excited to try this release!