diobrando74

Nov 11, 2017
Microsoft is winning the console war in its own way. An old proverb says, "If you can't beat them, join them."

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
I think it's more the gospel of Satya at this point given he telegraphed the 3rd party pivot back in his ABK trial testimony. This makes more sense for Microsoft anyway given how this is how the company operates at large. They support thier own infrastructures (Windows, Azure, Xbox, etc) but they also support competitive markets and ecosystems as primarily a services and software company. Because at their core that's what they are; software and services, not hardware or walled gardens. Xbox basically has to evolve to align with the larger corpo, though the continued userbase/subscriber hurdles and 3rd party acquisitions are also certainly helping speed things along.

At the same time I think "PC is different" rings a little hollow here. Last gen people were pointing to Microsoft's blanket PC support and loss of true Xbox 1st party exclusives as being central to the console's downfall but now I basically never see that rhetoric. Because PC multi has been normalized for console audiences at this point and who knows, maybe in another gen console multi (with similar stipulations; not day and date, targeted titles only, etc) will also become the norm?

Sony says they don't consider PC a competitive platform but over the last two years they told basically every major global regulator (FTC, CMA, CADE, etc), some under oath, the exact same thing about Switch. Would it really be so over the line to see something like old TLOU ports on Switch 2 timed with Seasons 2/3? Or something more likely to succeed in Nintendo's ecosystem versus Sony's own like a new Media Molecule title or Gravity Rush remaster (timed with the coming film)? I wonder how far the line from "PC is different" to "Nintendo is different" really is?
PC doesn't tend to eat console sales. It's true that if one or the other didn't exist, the one that remained would probably gain many millions of users to meet that need. But the markets don't tend to harm one another competitively which is why console manufacturers are OK making up for game dev costs by releasing there.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I think it's more the gospel of Satya at this point given he telegraphed the 3rd party pivot back in his ABK trial testimony. This makes more sense for Microsoft anyway given how this is how the company operates at large. They support thier own infrastructures (Windows, Azure, Xbox, etc) but they also support competitive markets and ecosystems as primarily a services and software company. Because at their core that's what they are; software and services, not hardware or walled gardens. Xbox basically has to evolve to align with the larger corpo, though the continued userbase/subscriber hurdles and 3rd party acquisitions are also certainly helping speed things along.

At the same time I think "PC is different" rings a little hollow here. Last gen people were pointing to Microsoft's blanket PC support and loss of true Xbox 1st party exclusives as being central to the console's downfall but now I basically never see that rhetoric. Because PC multi has been normalized for console audiences at this point and who knows, maybe in another gen console multi (with similar stipulations; not day and date, targeted titles only, etc) will also become the norm?

Sony says they don't consider PC a competitive platform but over the last two years they told basically every major global regulator (FTC, CMA, CADE, etc), some under oath, the exact same thing about Switch. Would it really be so over the line to see something like old TLOU ports on Switch 2 timed with Seasons 2/3? Or something more likely to succeed in Nintendo's ecosystem versus Sony's own like a new Media Molecule title or Gravity Rush remaster (timed with the coming film)? I wonder how far the line from "PC is different" to "Nintendo is different" really is?

I mean the question is would the converse hold true? Would Nintendo release their switch games on Playstation? If Nintendo does not view Sony as competition and surely there is a subset of folks of the 100 million gamers that buy Playstation every gen not interested in a Nintendo console at all which would be a new audience they would be able to reach through their software. Nintendo however def thinks Sony is not competition. I don't think Sony believes what they are themselves saying too. They absolutely view Nintendo as competition.

I don't see Sony releasing games on Switch 2 for precisely the same reasons Nintendo will not release on PlayStation. Stranger things have happened though. We will see. My bet is Nintendo starts releasing content on PC eventually just like the other two when sales cap out and their games sell similar number of units 2 gens from now with rising dev costs and both will stop with that and try expanding elsewhere on mobile and call it a day. I don't see them releasing software on each other's console.

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
PC doesn't tend to eat console sales. It's true that if one or the other didn't exist, the one that remained would probably gain many millions of users to meet that need. But the markets don't tend to harm one another competitively which is why console manufacturers are OK making up for game dev costs by releasing there.

We don't really know that though. It is only recently that this has even become a thing, and so far the one console that releases day and date is selling worst than it has in some time. Obviously it's not the only reason, but I find it hard to believe in countries that don't have a strong PC presence it isn't doing something.

If it made no difference at all, PlayStation would have done day and date years ago.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer's efforts bear fruit. These games wouldn't have been already top sellers without Microsoft.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
That's bait.gif

I think the OP knew what was expected and obviously MS was going to own rhe PS Store with the multi-platform deals alor of Activision games had before the merger. If the trend continues if and when Redfall, Starfield make it to PSN someday, then good on MS for making more revenue.