Oct 27, 2017
The World
https://www.fastcompany.com/9027235...in-8-years-apple-is-worth-less-than-microsoft

On a day when tech stocks are recovering from a bummer week last week, Microsoft reached a valuation of $814 billion Monday. As of 1 p.m. its market cap had settled back to $807 billion. Meanwhile, Apple's market cap was slightly less at $805 billion.

An article from WSJ (paywalled):
https://www.wsj.com/articles/microsofts-comeback-1543253902

A growing cloud business and a surprisingly resilient PC sidemade Microsoft one of the few big tech stocks to actually gain ground following its September-quarter results. Apple, by contrast, has shed 22% of its value since its own report on worries of a weakening iPhone business. In tech, nothing lasts forever.

Edit: Stock prices keep changing so valuation may go up/down.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Now if only they could a superior product at a convenient price.

Good to see their cloud business doing well. I'm curious to see how they expand on that.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising considering how diversified they are. MS makes bank off cloud services and enterprise software licensing.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
MS has been doing a lot of cloud-based stuff, and I think their Office 365 initiative has been working out so far.

did not realise Apple lost 22% of share value at some point, weren't they at the trillion mark sometime this year?

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Now if only they could a superior product at a convenient price.

Good to see their cloud business doing well. I'm curious to see how they expand on that.

Well, the Surface Pro is pretty impressive price expectations are more of a YMMV sort of thing.

Plus, the XBox One X is pretty incredible, given the featureset.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
How did they do this?

Considering they are no longer in the smartphone game and are just now in the Apple camp of selling overpriced products that aren't as overpriced as Apples' stuff that's impressive.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
MS at a 40+ Price to Earnings multiplier, with Apple back down below 15. Seems like a good time to buy some AAPL.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't post this on the gaming side.....
Doesn't matter, who needs money when you have more exclusives!!!! Money is overrated.

But yeah, this happened because of the fear of iPhone sales stagnating, which was being fed by Apple's own statement that they're no longer going to give sales numbers combined with a drop in demand for newer, more expensive phones. It's about Apple's number dropping, not MS' rising.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How did they do this?

Considering they are no longer in the smartphone game and are just now in the Apple camp of selling overpriced products that aren't as overpriced as Apples' stuff that's impressive.
Cutting their losses in the phone business was the right decision, and Surface is a tiny part of their business. It's all about enterprise and the cloud.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
How did they do this?

Diversifying. Making quality products. Making the business more efficient and responsive.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Mmm this caviar is so gooood!

I bought an $11 battery last week to resurrect my 32gig HD.

My Halo 3 Zune is still working and holds a charge for hours..

Take the Hololens off, the caviar is fake.

Zune HD is still working and amazing design.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Not surprising considering how diversified they are. MS makes bank off cloud services and enterprise software licensing.
And even then enterprise licensing has changed so much. In education for example, their entire office platform is free. Free Office 365 for facility and students.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Microsoft is a hell of a lot better in market diversification. I remember saying this 5 years ago and getting shit for it. Apple at best can maintain or slowly decline with their platforms. Cloud computing and software as a service will grow tremendously while boutique smartphones will not.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Well, the Surface Pro is pretty impressive price expectations are more of a YMMV sort of thing.

Plus, the XBox One X is pretty incredible, given the featureset.
The surface pro really is a nice product. Hell I actually liked the original models and consered getting money for my mother.

As for the Xbox I just prefer the exclusives on the PS4 and Nintendo side, but you are still gonna have a good time with it.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
No wonder they're investing so much into Xbox right now. They're making bank. They're gonna have a major show of force next gen.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, Microsoft has been doing an impressive job but Apple has dropped like $200B in a short time, that's mostly what has lead to this.

Good that Apple is forced to stay in its toes, but I think overall we may have found somewhat of a plateau as investors set back their expectations for infinite growth.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
yes, it is.

how long before we're back to full-on "fuck Micro$oft" again? Next E3? Or next just the next major Windows 10 patch?

No wonder they're investing so much into Xbox right now. They're making bank. They're gonna have a major show of force next gen.
lol. we say this every generation. if the cycle remains, then that would be cool. Xbox 360 years were some of the best years.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Just to give people an idea.

DJrBsiMVAAA7aYI.jpg